Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've got some stuff to do for Radium at the moment, but I'll take suggestions for a 'hardcore' mode.

Not focused on weapon stuff, as everyone has their own ideas on stuff like that, but stuff like sleep deprivation, not being able to quick save (save done at a campfire or while sleeping), removing emission notifications, maybe most of the hud etc?

So with iron man mode it would probably be a roguelike version of stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
MariusLecter asked me to post this. FirstPersonShitter I think you've got a good case against Bethesda:

https://twitter.com/Everdraed/status/664146765222924289

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Ddraig posted:

I've got some stuff to do for Radium at the moment, but I'll take suggestions for a 'hardcore' mode.

Not focused on weapon stuff, as everyone has their own ideas on stuff like that, but stuff like sleep deprivation, not being able to quick save (save done at a campfire or while sleeping), removing emission notifications, maybe most of the hud etc?

So with iron man mode it would probably be a roguelike version of stalker.

Actual roguelike mechanics, where you start as a randomly generated new character of the same faction after you die, and could find and loot the body of your old character (or find and kill whoever else looted him), would be pretty great. You'd keep progress like disabling the brain scorcher and maybe get back your sweet guns and rubli, but any rank or disposition progress with your faction would reset. Plus, life is cheap in the Zone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That sounds hellish with how quick death is. Can't tell you how many times I got domed in the head by a zombie in a bush.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I think the best pseudo-safe house is ones where you autosave sleeping in a safezone--excluding sleeping bag saves. That way it's still inconvenient but not the end of the whole world.

As much as combat and tension is heightened in a good way, random headshots or grenades are near unpredictable death sentences that you can't stop without being a snipey machine.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I still think it'd be a neat playthrough to do once. Generally my playstyle is pretty varied but most recently I've been using the AO3 carbines or smaller rifles up close. Threw a silencer on my stock AKS74U and managed to take down all of the waste processing plant and boy-howdy was that intense. None of my rifles had accuracy worth a drat and I didn't want to go full loud so getting close was really my only option. Certainly not viable on a permadeath run. Hopefully I remember when I finish AO3 in a few days because I think just managing risk and only taking quests or fights you know you can win would be a very different way for me to play the game.

It also solidified that AO3's weapons really do make it feel like a fresh playthrough and, goddamn, I think the waste processing plant is one of my favorite encounters in a game, ever. So tense.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

fennesz posted:

Threw a silencer on my stock AKS74U and managed to take down all of the waste processing plant and boy-howdy was that intense.

AKS74U, suppressed with a sight is the best 40-round AR-round SMG. It is a bullet hose that everyone drops ammo for.

Also, my contribution for "Boy, the Zone is pretty sometimes :allears:" pictures

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Shame the AK74u can only mount the lovely scope instead of the PSO-1 though.

And its useless against anyone in halfway decent armor. You're better off throwing bolts at the EXO-suit enemies.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I finally got through the NPP in OL. Kanyhalos is arguably a very mad man, but wow aside from range the P90 trumps every AR in the game.

All you guys posting about CoC really make me want to jump back in but I'm still trying to hold out at least until January to see what people build into it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

Shame the AK74u can only mount the lovely scope instead of the PSO-1 though.

And its useless against anyone in halfway decent armor. You're better off throwing bolts at the EXO-suit enemies.

I took down a few with that puppy. You've just got to get in close and land one round on their head. That should stun them enough to finish them.

Everything feels so good. So much so that the quality of the animation dictates the weapon I use. In fact I just figured out that the AK105 uses the unfolding stock animation, so now I've got to raise a little more capital to upgrade that sucker :getin:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Radar is really intense with this sleep-save limitation. I was exited to find a safe spot halfway through the map to save at, and even happier when I realized it's actually a bed so I can hold onto my "save point" sleeping bag. Currently trying to navigate my way past two pseudogiants and a whole base full of Monos.

e: hahaha holy poo poo, a storm was brewing so I had to book it back to safety and hope the pseudogiant, zombies and Monoliths starting to gather around it didn't turn me to mush before I could reach it. I've noticed saving during a storm is a bad idea by the way because of the game's bizarre habit of spawning you 100 feet above the ground before gently depositing you back on earth.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 12, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Was following signs from the Monolith that lead me to some markings in the basement of one of the cement factory buildings when an emission started up.
Infidel stalkers appeared from nearby areas seeking refuge and mutants were attracted by the commotion when they encountered me.

Was a real hanging by a root on a cliff with a tiger at the top and another at the bottom.
And I am the tigers.

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

Is there any need/advantage to installing these shaders in the various mods? I had success doing a vanilla SoC + ZRP + MAX shaders playthrough, but would the shaders be of any use with Lost Alpha, Autumn Aurora, Oblivion Lost, OLR, OGSE, Stalkersoup, etc? I know some of those mods are standalone, so not clear to me if they already have improved shaders.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Holy poo poo, the Swamps are crawling with Military in CoC. I just had to fight my way through multiple outposts, a helicopter and a machine gun nest just to rescue the buddy of some dude in the rookie village. Then, coming back through the Cordon, we got pinned down in the Mill by a million bandits who'd somehow gotten hold of Abakans, and I had to burn through nearly all my bandages and medkits to keep us both alive. Then I had to use up the last of them when we got attacked by a pack of pseudodogs coming over the bridge.

What did I get for this? 5000RU.

gently caress you, rear end in a top hat.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Holy poo poo, the Swamps are crawling with Military in CoC. I just had to fight my way through multiple outposts, a helicopter and a machine gun nest just to rescue the buddy of some dude in the rookie village. Then, coming back through the Cordon, we got pinned down in the Mill by a million bandits who'd somehow gotten hold of Abakans, and I had to burn through nearly all my bandages and medkits to keep us both alive. Then I had to use up the last of them when we got attacked by a pack of pseudodogs coming over the bridge.

Y'know, it's long past due for having some sort of bragging rights system at the bar.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Sparkyhodgo posted:

Is there any need/advantage to installing these shaders in the various mods? I had success doing a vanilla SoC + ZRP + MAX shaders playthrough, but would the shaders be of any use with Lost Alpha, Autumn Aurora, Oblivion Lost, OLR, OGSE, Stalkersoup, etc? I know some of those mods are standalone, so not clear to me if they already have improved shaders.

If gamedata/shaders exists then the mods has installed its own shaders, else it's using vanilla shaders from the db files.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
OWR3 for CoC just got updated, it looks like the biggest things about it is the Saiga is now in and shotgun damage is halved?

Added Saiga-12 semi-automatic shotgun restored from OWR3 beta release.
Changed Actor armour and actor weapon .DDS files to include CoC and OWR3 assets.
Changed Buckshot quantity halved from 40 to 20 to help reduce shotgun damage.
Changed Merged CoC and OWR3 equipment icon sets using OXR Texture Tool.
Changed Outfit resistance values and prices for a couple of quest items.
Fixed Attachment coordinates for the grenade launcher on the Abakan.
Fixed Being able to repair food and other consumables at a mechanic.
Fixed Crosshairs showing when aiming down sights on several weapons.
Fixed Gigantic wall-marks caused by explosive devices and objects.
Fixed Replaced two upgrades; one broken and one effectively useless.
Fixed Upgrade icon coordinates and dimensions for ten different weapons.
Removed Textures and icons for gloves, consumables, medicals and other items.
Removed Hand model .OGF files as they are already included within CoC.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Obviously the Bandits stole all the Abakans off the dead military guys you massacred, you heartless monster. :qqsay:

fuckyuo
Jan 15, 2008
!
What's the best modded Stalker game to play at the moment which isn't a total pain in the rear end to get up and running? It doesn't have to be crazily different from the base game. It seems things have moved on from what's in the OP and I read the last few pages but I couldn't make heads or tails of all the acronyms.

So far I've tried the first game with the Complete mod and Call of Pripyat with SGM and AtmosFEAR. Both were cool and I like first game better both with mods and without.

I have Clear Sky but I never got into it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

VStraken posted:

OWR3 for CoC just got updated, it looks like the biggest things about it is the Saiga is now in and shotgun damage is halved?

Arsenal Overhaul was also updated to 2.0. He says it's the last stage of the port and he'll start adding new features now.

quote:

Changes:

- 9 new suits from STCSWP and the suits addon

- FN2000 is back

- Nimble and Trapper are now traders

Fixes:

- Traders now sell previously missing ammunition (~10 types) and weapons (~5 types)

- Merged AO3 for CoP patch

- Lots more

Additions:

- 9 new suits, including the NBC, Radiation Suit, and more.

It's less finicky now about starting you off with a multitool, and I'm seeing the new guns on NPCs a lot more - like bandits with Mosin Nagants and AK variants

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Saint Sputnik posted:

Arsenal Overhaul was also updated to 2.0.

*heavy breathing, downloads instantly* :f5:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
While that first gif loaded it was slowed down for me so it was a lot more eerie. At full speed it's just comical.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I think I'm going to be doing that Dark Souls-esque playthrough where you can only save when sleeping/or in safety. With AO3 of course.

Anyone have any recommendations for early game suits or weapons? I'm probably going to plunk down most of my dough either on the Mosin + Scope or the AVT + Scope. I had a really hard time choosing between suits and gear my first time through though. Even at the very end I couldn't decide between the exoskeleton or the NBC suit.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Does anyone feel like the 9mm weapons--both pistol and SMG--are completely ineffective? I've dumped magazines worth into both dogs and armored enemies on Veteran...

And I'm pretty sure I applied the damage tweak, too. :( There doesn't seem to be any damage tweaks for this version, either. :(

Edit: Of course, I only mean 9x18 and 9x19

Edit x2: Unless I mention otherwise, I always mean AO3 :shobon:

Morter fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 19, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Morter posted:

Does anyone feel like the 9mm weapons--both pistol and SMG--are completely ineffective? I've dumped magazines worth into both dogs and armored enemies on Veteran...

And I'm pretty sure I applied the damage tweak, too. :( There doesn't seem to be any damage tweaks for this version, either. :(

Edit: Of course, I only mean 9x18 and 9x19

OWR or AO? I'm rocking a 9x19 Glock in COC:OWR and it's kicking rear end for me. Fast fire rate, 21 round mag and lightweight ammo make up for single shot weakness. Merchants also seem quite willing to stock the enhanced 9mm much more than .45 hydra shock.

Except against cats. gently caress, those things need a health nerf.

Speaking of which, Ddraig. Does your old OWR compat patch work with the newest release?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Missing Name posted:

Except against cats. gently caress, those things need a health nerf.

Cats just need to be removed, not nerfed. Already have to deal with dogs, now I get to deal with things that can't really hurt me but tank absurd amounts of damage and are really loud and annoying.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
How do you disable to new brain scorcher in COC? I either missed out on someone trying to give me a PSY blocking device, or am I supposed to constantly pop pills until I take it out?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Blistex posted:

How do you disable to new brain scorcher in COC? I either missed out on someone trying to give me a PSY blocking device, or am I supposed to constantly pop pills until I take it out?

Hit up Sakharov in the Yantar Scientist bunker, bring 17k RU with you and he'll sell you a working psi-helmet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Minarchist posted:

Hit up Sakharov in the Yantar Scientist bunker, bring 17k RU with you and he'll sell you a working psi-helmet.

Totally forgot about the bunker there, shows how long it's been since I've tried SOC.

I'm currently using the SCAR (fully upgraded) and it's almost silly how accurate/powerful it is. Just cleaned out the entire military base without having to step foot inside the walls.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Blistex posted:

Totally forgot about the bunker there, shows how long it's been since I've tried SOC.

I'm currently using the SCAR (fully upgraded) and it's almost silly how accurate/powerful it is. Just cleaned out the entire military base without having to step foot inside the walls.

You using AO3? Put a long range scope on an AS Val and burst it. Drops exosuits at 200m with 3 shots to the body. It's hilarious.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
E.Nigma has finally ported AO3 officially this time:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul/downloads/call-of-chernobyl-1224-addon

Gonna try it out and see how it compares to the unofficial port!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Justin Time! posted:

E.Nigma has finally ported AO3 officially this time:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul/downloads/call-of-chernobyl-1224-addon

Gonna try it out and see how it compares to the unofficial port!

Eagerly awaiting a trip report. :munch:

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

Morter posted:

Eagerly awaiting a trip report. :munch:

I have not actually played this in a while, and the unofficial version of AO3 that I last tried was 1.x, so I'm not sure how it compares to 2.0 but a few things I've noticed in my brief time with this so far:

As a loner, you start with a sawnoff
Shotguns right now are VERY lethal, almost everyone drops dead with a well placed shot. They fly away rather satisfyingly too (not really seeing too many "forced" death animations).
Weapon prices are more sane this time around. It's about 5,700 rubles for an AK74.
Ammo prices are about the same I think.
The guns feel the same as in the unofficial mod; the unofficial porter did a good job of porting the actual weapons.

All in all no complaints from me so far, I've not seen any annoying bullet-spongery going on and the economy seems more balanced than what I had experienced with the unofficial port.

EDIT: Looks like Nimble doesn't do custom orders now, his cool guns are all just placed in his Trade menu (his guns are very, very expensive). But he still offers contracts for guns though.

Also is mblur not working now? I even have the mblur shader from Lost Alpha installed.

Robert Red Rocket fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 20, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Going from the various Metro: 2033 games to Stalker may cause extreme setting whiplash. :psyduck:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Klaus88 posted:

Going from the various Metro: 2033 games to Stalker may cause extreme setting whiplash. :psyduck:

Are you kidding? I'm playing STALKER, Metro 2033, and Singularity. :ussr:

Edit: Played some of the official port of AO3(.1!), started as clear sky on Veteran. Managed to, somehow, take out a whole group of bandits, and then run from a squadron of military. It's sort of nice being able to pelt down cyka with a TT-33 is a darned good feeling, especially when your own life is on the line. gently caress those overly sniper-y military pigs, though. :argh:

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 20, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Did my normal CoC startup ritual, picked loner, did the baby quests for wolf, murdered some bandits, accrued some RU, bought a sunrise suit and gas mask, ran straight through Garage to Bar without stopping, called the Duty guys a bunch of Fascist dicks, said howdy to Barkeep and set up my various stashes. Feels good not to break the bank on goddamn weapon and suit repairs.

Somehow I already have an AEK already though. :staredog: Got it off a bandit. Protip: The bandits love high tier pistols, at least the assholes in trench-coats love them.

Would be nice if AO3 didn't keep the vanilla weight restrictions though. :argh:

How do I edit the player weight allowances anyway.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How do I delete the unofficial AO3 files?

quote:

How do I edit the player weight allowances anyway.

Find the actor_ltx file in Creatures, and the system_ltx file in configs/misc IIRC. Search for weight and edit all the values that show stuff like 30, 40, 50 etc. There's also a max_rucks thing you have to edit as well. It's been a while :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Azran posted:

How do I delete the unofficial AO3 files?

I would just delete/rename the gamedata folder (because all mod folders reside there) and slip in the new one from AO3.1

That said, I think I ran into a bug, or I'm confused about something. I found this in a stash , and that seemed weird...

but then when I looked in the page for the official AO3, it says to install it in the main CoP folder (as opposed to the standalone CoC folder), and yet when I did that and ran a new game, there was not a single AO3 thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

fennesz posted:

You using AO3? Put a long range scope on an AS Val and burst it. Drops exosuits at 200m with 3 shots to the body. It's hilarious.

Current loadout is a G36 in my first weapon slow and a SCAR in the #2.

The G36 fully modded for recoil and handling is hilarious, as there is no recoil, and it feels like you;re just pointing a laser at the enemy at 200-300+ yards. I mainly stick with that and only pull out the SCAR when there are military or Exosuit guys running around.

I had a bit of fun with the M-60 and just wading through the military warehouse on a previous playthrough, but the weight is too much to carry much of anything else. Still funny to watch a whole platoon doing backflips while you just hold down the trigger and rip them apart.