Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

LostRook posted:

I clicked on the link now it's hours later and I've reread the entire manga again. Worth it.

This caught me too. I am so sad I won't get to see the Serious Series Table Flip in the anime for at least 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think this fight with Tornado might be a turning point in turn of him being acknowledged by the S-Ranks. Tornado will have no choice but to acknowledge his strength after this (and doesn't strike me as the type to deny it even after being in a long fight with him), and she's #2 and has a lot of influence as a result.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Where would the story go from there?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bell_ posted:

Where would the story go from there?

The S Ranks can acknowledge him without the world at large acknowledging him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I bet Watchdogman has some heavy poo poo going on that'll carry the story for a bit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Saitama wouldn't willingly admit to having wrecked up the place fighting another hero, and Tatsumaki wouldn't admit to being completely powerless against Saitama. Plus, I don't think other heroes talk to Tatsumaki much anyway. They will probably just blame it all on Psykos.

Also, "where will the story go from here"? What a dumb question. Why would it end here? "The two sisters fought, then reconciled. Saitama found a new life with the underground people and was never seen again. King resolved all of the hanging plot threads off-panel."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 17, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm so glad I decided to take the deep dive, because the first few chapters had been kinda overhyped as poorly drawn stick figures, but holy drat the later chapters are downright insane in how well-drawn they are, from a posing perspective. You actually feel the punches and the action is simple yet follows very clear lines, unlike some mangas where it can get a little skippy. Very similar to Dragonball in a good way. And the premise and plot points all have me on the edge of my seat. loving King man, such a goddamn hero. I cried laughing out loud during the monster fight where King shone his brightest. He could have been just a two-bit joke, but the author goes all out and makes him heroic in just how he stands around pissing his pants. This is a glory of action-comedy.

With this, my only sadness is that I am going to have to be very careful what I post in every thread on this subject. I just don't see this stopping just because we've seen the Garou arc through, there's still a lot of hanging threads and a lot of potential one-punching to be done. The Hero association might even just be the beginning, not the end of it all. Saitama for all his short-comings embraces the truth of what it means to be a hero even if he slips and slides a little bit. His original motivation for joining the hero association wasn't purely motivated by a desire to be famous, but for people to have someone they could recognize and rely on to save the day for them and I think he might not have truly come to terms with this if not for the tank top brothers attempting to bully him way back. He wasn't sure by then either, but by the time he thought Garou he had formed a clear picture of what he thinks it means to be a hero, which is a struggle he recognized in Garou.

This whole study of what it means to be strong, what it means to be a hero was the premise that got me to read One Punch Man to begin with. I didn't quite expect it to go like it did, but I am really impressed with it.

With regards to the latest changes between the ONE manga and Murata's revision, Saitama punching Garou because he thought he was a robber is marking the similar structure point when Saitama punches Garou for dine-and-dashing? Or are we just going to see it happen again later?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mordaedil posted:

With regards to the latest changes between the ONE manga and Murata's revision, Saitama punching Garou because he thought he was a robber is marking the similar structure point when Saitama punches Garou for dine-and-dashing? Or are we just going to see it happen again later?

It's definitely going to happen again later. He hit Garou so hard the first time that Garou didn't even remember him, the dine and dash catching will have to happen too. Especially since it's such a good joke, with Saitama using "I'll go catch the dine and dasher!" so he can also dine and dash.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

With this, my only sadness is that I am going to have to be very careful what I post in every thread on this subject.

Welcome to the club.

One of these days Bad Seafood's gonna read this version so he can appreciate how hard it is for us to keep those other threads relatively unspoiled.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I just finished reading this and now waiting for the manga to catch up just got so much harder.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Welcome to the club.

One of these days Bad Seafood's gonna read this version so he can appreciate how hard it is for us to keep those other threads relatively unspoiled.

Its incredibly easy to not spoil something. Just don't do it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It is tricky to remember what happens where, especially with three different versions of this currently ongoing but like people said in the Murata thread, if you're unsure, just don't post it there. Better to talk about something ancient in the ONE manga than to spoil the Murata one for people who are too silly to maximise their OPM consumption.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Regarding the Metal Bat chat in the other thread right now: I have a strong feeling that the current Murata-version arc is going to end with Metal Bat in the hospital. Because going off of everything we've seen of the guy, Metal Bat is one of the most reliable people the Hero Association has, so it's really weird that he didn't show up for the Monster Association battle. If Garou took him out here, that'd explain that - he can't show up if he's still in the hospital, after all. I can't imagine any other reason he wouldn't show up, so I'm glad Murata is adding more to the Hero Hunt.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

Its incredibly easy to not spoil something. Just don't do it

you'd think that but then you read what others post in the other threads

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gnome7 posted:

Regarding the Metal Bat chat in the other thread right now: I have a strong feeling that the current Murata-version arc is going to end with Metal Bat in the hospital. Because going off of everything we've seen of the guy, Metal Bat is one of the most reliable people the Hero Association has, so it's really weird that he didn't show up for the Monster Association battle. If Garou took him out here, that'd explain that - he can't show up if he's still in the hospital, after all. I can't imagine any other reason he wouldn't show up, so I'm glad Murata is adding more to the Hero Hunt.

Which S-Ranks didn't make it, anyways?

Engine Knight, Metal Knight, Watchdogman, and Metal Bat, yeah? And the perpetually missing Blast.

Metal Bat's ranking apparently went 15 -> 16 -> 15 (having been knocked down a place by Genos), so it could be that Garou takes Metal Bat out, then takes the Centipede out, and then Metal Bat is given credit for it? Which would explain why he rose in rank again in the meantime.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

gnome7 posted:

Agreed, specially after

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Well, to be fair the initial invasion was just the minions. Given that that Stinger was able to take out 10 of 'em, I wouldn't consider an individual Seafolk to be particularly powerful.

Apparently, One noted in an interview that Sonic with his weapons could beat the dry Sea King (clown form) but not the true Sea King (fish form). I don't know how accurate that is cause I can't read Japanese myself and am relying on what other people have deduced from the interviews.

http://onepunchfun.com/archives/2485554.html (Spoilers regarding ONE's version.)
(Apparently this says that Zombieman couldn't beat the Sea King)

Daxing Dan posted:

Here's what it says.

-The current Sonic [1/21/2015?] could defeat the Sea King in non-rainy weather, if he were armed.
-Sonic will have further appearances
-A fight between Sonic and Genos would have no clear winner.
-Sweet Mask is 1st place in citizen popularity polls. King also places high.
-Even Prisoner can defeat the bird that rammed into King's house.
-Boros's name comes from a game One used to play.
-Genos is rather strong for an S-Rank.
-If Metal Bat had been present during the Monster Association, things would have gone down significantly differently.
-In some cases, Metal Bat can fight dragon-level monsters.
-King is about 187 cm tall.
-Tatsumaki at full health could have defeated golden sperm.
-Golden Sperm is about as strong as Tadashi from Makai no Ossan.
-Normally, Tatsumaki is stronger than Mob. If they got serious, then it's unclear.

On Zombieman:
-He can fully regenerate a lost arm in 15 minutes
-He would die if he were rendered into ground meat.
-His physical abilities are the lowest among all S-Rankers
-He would have a hard time killing the Sea King.

So Metal Bat must be taken off the table for a bit with the whole worm thing.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Engine Knight, Metal Knight, Watchdogman, and Metal Bat, yeah? And the perpetually missing Blast.

Metal Bat's ranking apparently went 15 -> 16 -> 15 (having been knocked down a place by Genos), so it could be that Garou takes Metal Bat out, then takes the Centipede out, and then Metal Bat is given credit for it? Which would explain why he rose in rank again in the meantime.

Even if Metal Bat doesn't get the credit for the dragon-level centipede, he took out two demon-level threats and ensured the safety of those people he was supposed to bodyguard, so he might get his rank back just from that.

And yeah those five didn't make it, and Tanktop Master didn't make it either, but he was in the hospital. The rest all have a good reason for not showing up, too: Watchdogman apparently never leaves City Q, Metal Knight is the least helpful S-Class hero (for heroing business anyway), Blast is permanently MIA, and we've never seen Engine Knight do anything all series, so who knows what's up with that guy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, right, Tanktop Master.

He's like, one of the biggest non-entities among the S-Ranks for me.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Oh, right, Tanktop Master.

He's like, one of the biggest non-entities among the S-Ranks for me.

i like that he's king of the dudebros but doesn't actually seem to be that jerky of a guy. he does get rekt every time though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The only thing Engine Knight has done is warn Genos about Metal Knight. So, he is probably off doing something about that jerk. I mean, there isn't any reason for such a minor character to have a bunch of depth, so he is likely just part of the Metal Knight situation.

Though, minor character and hardest worker in all of s-rank Pig God isn't so shallow, so who knows?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess there was the matter of them going up against disadvantageous matchups, but a lot of the S-Ranks really didn't distinguish themselves in the Garou arc. It's like there's a world of difference between 2nd place, 3rd place, and then the rest.

Atomic Samurai was probably the unluckiest. His first opponent is Black Sperm, who's probably the strongest among the Monster Association and has this weird regeneration / splitting up thing to boot.

Meanwhile, Bang, who's 1 rank above him, easily kills off 2 Dragon levels and would have taken down Homeless Emperor as well if it hadn't been of Psykos holding him still.

Jintor posted:

i like that he's king of the dudebros but doesn't actually seem to be that jerky of a guy. he does get rekt every time though

I never realized it on my first read but Tanktop Vegetarian (the one who got beaten by Garou) was presumably the second strongest Tanktop as A-Rank 9 (1 ~ 8 are all accounted for already).

It's also surprising how many Tanktops there are, but then again, there are a ton of B-Ranks and C-Ranks unaccounted for.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So Zombie Man would get absolutely murdered by the Sea King.

I always thought they would tie, honestly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't think Zombieman would deal very well with anyone willing and able to rip him to pieces.

VVVV Sea King would be perfectly happy to grind someone into paste.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've always just thought that Zombie Man doesn't really have much in terms of offense; he's just really tenacious and you literally can't keep him down unless you grind him to paste.

Given that Sea King has enough toughness to resist blows from the physically powerful Pri-Pri Prisoner, I don't think anything Zombie Man could throw at Sea King would stick.

Unsure if Sea King could permanently kill of Zombie Man but to be honest there's really no need to. Just beat him up and toss him away, then repeat whenever Zombie Man comes back. Or he could just laugh as Zombie Man ineffectually wails on him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Well the centipede is one of the monsters that saves Garou from Bang and Bomb and recruits him to the monster organization so it can't die here.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Well the centipede is one of the monsters that saves Garou from Bang and Bomb and recruits him to the monster organization so it can't die here.

I think that was the small one, the Demon level one.

There are three Centipedes.

Elder Centipede (Dragon), Senior Centipede (Demon), Junior Centipede (Demon?)

The one that saves Garou and then gets killed by him later is Senior.

EDIT: Then again, Senior got killed, so Murata's version is diverging from the original a bit, I guess.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I guess there was the matter of them going up against disadvantageous matchups, but a lot of the S-Ranks really didn't distinguish themselves in the Garou arc. It's like there's a world of difference between 2nd place, 3rd place, and then the rest.

Atomic Samurai was probably the unluckiest. His first opponent is Black Sperm, who's probably the strongest among the Monster Association and has this weird regeneration / splitting up thing to boot.

Meanwhile, Bang, who's 1 rank above him, easily kills off 2 Dragon levels and would have taken down Homeless Emperor as well if it hadn't been of Psykos holding him still.

I never realized it on my first read but Tanktop Vegetarian (the one who got beaten by Garou) was presumably the second strongest Tanktop as A-Rank 9 (1 ~ 8 are all accounted for already).

It's also surprising how many Tanktops there are, but then again, there are a ton of B-Ranks and C-Ranks unaccounted for.

There was decent character development for pretty much everyone there. I think thats all that really matters

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

EDIT: Then again, Senior got killed, so Murata's version is diverging from the original a bit, I guess.

Just speculating, maybe "senior centipede" is a title or a ranking, and not a name?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
considering catching up on the one version, have only read the redraw. is there a chapter i can jump to?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serious Frolicking posted:

Though, minor character and hardest worker in all of s-rank Pig God isn't so shallow, so who knows?

The S-Classes mostly act opposite of how they appear. So far Pig God seems to be one of the biggest heroes, in contrast with his looks (same with Metal Bat and Saitama, I guess). He's more worried about protecting people from "the prophecy" than his own death, he saves Atomic Samurai's disciples while looking under great distress doing so, he correctly guessed some monsters survived and runs away from the hospital to make sure none of them escapes.
Child Emperor takes his job extremely seriously and is one of the most responsible heroes all around. Even Tank-Top Master, someone we're expecting to be a douche due to his brothers, is just a chill guy who only wants to work out, and he correctly points out that both Tatsumaki and Metal Knight are incredibly dangerous.

King on the other hand is a sham the greatest hero of all time.

Metal Bat could as well be the protagonist of a shounen and it would be great.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Regardless of his physical capabilities, Zombieman uses weaponry and outranks Prisoner by a significant margin. The interview with One doesn't say Sea King would absolutely destroy Zombieman, it says that Zombieman would have "a hard time" winning. For an idea of what that might mean, the databook claims he's known for once defeating a monster in a 140-hour-long fight.

Other fun fact from the databook: Unlicensed Rider lost his license because he always broke speed limits while riding into action.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 25, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It took losing what he loved most to teach him the true value of justice.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It took losing what he loved most to teach him the true value of justice.

Dude was just even before Saitama thought about being a hero.

I really like this picture.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I wonder why there are so many footprints around the snowmonster.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Guy A. Person posted:

Just speculating, maybe "senior centipede" is a title or a ranking, and not a name?

Might be.

They're apparently just regular centipedes that turned into monsters. So could be more of 'em?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I kinda don't like the zombieman can actually die. I wanted him to just be like Alucard and be able to rematerialise after being liquidised.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Elentor posted:

The S-Classes mostly act opposite of how they appear. So far Pig God seems to be one of the biggest heroes, in contrast with his looks (same with Metal Bat and Saitama, I guess). He's more worried about protecting people from "the prophecy" than his own death, he saves Atomic Samurai's disciples while looking under great distress doing so, he correctly guessed some monsters survived and runs away from the hospital to make sure none of them escapes.
Child Emperor takes his job extremely seriously and is one of the most responsible heroes all around. Even Tank-Top Master, someone we're expecting to be a douche due to his brothers, is just a chill guy who only wants to work out, and he correctly points out that both Tatsumaki and Metal Knight are incredibly dangerous.

King on the other hand is a sham the greatest hero of all time.

Metal Bat could as well be the protagonist of a shounen and it would be great.

PriPriPrisoner also is the one who goes out of his way to save everyone covered in the rubble.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Death Bot posted:

considering catching up on the one version, have only read the redraw. is there a chapter i can jump to?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The whole Hero Hunter Garou arc goes into full force at chapter 51 and Murata seems to diverge from ONE's stuff a fair bit there, so that's probably a good point to jump in.

Speaking of Murata-original stuff, the whole PriPriPrisoner extra chapter was penned by him, right? The character's so much more palatable when he's not a literal rapist and I can just pretend that chapter doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

a cartoon duck posted:

The whole Hero Hunter Garou arc goes into full force at chapter 51 and Murata seems to diverge from ONE's stuff a fair bit there, so that's probably a good point to jump in.

Speaking of Murata-original stuff, the whole PriPriPrisoner extra chapter was penned by him, right? The character's so much more palatable when he's not a literal rapist and I can just pretend that chapter doesn't exist.

Murata realized early on that there is no shame in just being an awesome artist and letting someone else do the writing.