Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sappo569 posted:

How is it possible for aviators to look that bad on someone ?

Step 1: Be aviators.
Step 2: Be on someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

alphabettitouretti posted:

It's just the same crappy space combat in a bigger map with some bits where you can allegedly get out and walk around. And it still runs like total poo poo and crashes all the time even without the physics that apparently aren't working. They are a long, long way from achieving even a fraction of what's been promised.

When I look at the gameplay, I see seamless transitions from one system to the next, and adaptive multiplayer on a large scale. That's impressive tech as someone who has worked with the CryEngine before. That's the thing people need to understand, they're doing crazy poo poo with a game engine that wasn't made to do any of this, no engine is made to do any of this, but they're doing a good job.

I rather like the flight model and the ARMA-esque FPS mechanics are extremely difficult to get right. Only time will tell how this ends but I can easily see them pulling something amazing out by mid 2017.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

He should have bought lottery tickets today instead.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

When I look at the gameplay, I see seamless transitions from one system to the next, and adaptive multiplayer on a large scale. That's impressive tech as someone who has worked with the CryEngine before. That's the thing people need to understand, they're doing crazy poo poo with a game engine that wasn't made to do any of this, no engine is made to do any of this, but they're doing a good job.

I rather like the flight model and the ARMA-esque FPS mechanics are extremely difficult to get right. Only time will tell how this ends but I can easily see them pulling something amazing out by mid 2017.

Weak troll.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 20, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is Croberts under indictment yet?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

If they need funding for another two years to put the game out then it ends with bankruptcy.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

AP posted:

Same as always, they need time to raise more money, which pays for the time needed to reach the next sale.

I guess what's hanging me up is that no matter how I look at it, I don't see a positive Chris Roberts endgame - which makes it difficult to understand why they're doing the things they're doing.

SQ42 doesn't really solve any of Chris' problems. They're in a deep hole - they have a lot of ways to drag this out and stay down there, but I don't see any ways out. So what's their plan?

Even if they get bought out, surely this time around Chris' credibility is gone for good. Right?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

When I look at the gameplay, I see seamless transitions from one system to the next, and adaptive multiplayer on a large scale.

Really?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

If they need funding for another two years to put the game out then it ends with bankruptcy.

Will be pretty sweet when there's an asset firesale and their jpegs end up in the Unity store.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The best part of the sale for me is: Everyday is a new or different ship for sale

But on the final day they're just throwing absolutely everything on the table for sale

Why not cut out those other few days and just have 1 big sale all day, offer everything they have

I know the answer is because 'more money'

The longer they stretch it out :goatsecx: the more time nerds have to beg borrow or steal the cash to buy that coveted ship they want (that is really a super special snowflake just like you timmy!)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sappo569 posted:

The best part of the sale for me is: Everyday is a new or different ship for sale

But on the final day they're just throwing absolutely everything on the table for sale

Why not cut out those other few days and just have 1 big sale all day, offer everything they have

I know the answer is because 'more money'

The longer they stretch it out :goatsecx: the more time nerds have to beg borrow or steal the cash to buy that coveted ship they want (that is really a super special snowflake just like you timmy!)

It's just like the steam sale. Every year people know the best thing to do is wait for a daily deal or buy the games you want on the last day if they haven't had a daily. Every year there's some people who buy the game they want on day 1 and then bemoan their poor impulse control when the game goes on a daily deal.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When I look at gameplay clips with my third eye, I see fifty different planes of existence coming together, colliding but not collapsing. I see universal laws bent to the will stronger than that of what created the act of being. My mind travels through cosmos and I am no longer just a useless drone with an office job, I am a Star Citizen.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Only time will tell how this ends but I can easily see them pulling something amazing out by mid 2017.

There's zero evidence that they can make it run smoothly, with high player counts and no sign of any fun as yet.

Mid 2017 requires another 18+ months of funding at ~3 million a month and a guy in charge who has to control everything and is really more interested in making movies.

October and November are their best months during the year. Their public relations problem is focused on them selling jpgs for no real game, they badly need to raise more money on the 1st of December, immediately after this massive November sale ends. If they solve the December funding issue on the 1st of January they badly need to raise more money.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Danknificent posted:

Even if they get bought out, surely this time around Chris' credibility is gone for good. Right?

We can only hope. Sadly though, SC has probably made croberts enough money to crap out some other brainfart idea in a decade or so whenever he's down to half funds and people have forgotten this crime against humanity.

Unless he ends up in prison. Again, we can only hope.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AP posted:

There's zero evidence that they can make it run smoothly, with high player counts and no sign of any fun as yet.

Mid 2017 requires another 18+ months of funding at ~3 million a month and a guy in charge who has to control everything and is really more interested in making movies.

October and November are their best months during the year. Their public relations problem is focused on them selling jpgs for no real game, they badly need to raise more money on the 1st of December, immediately after this massive November sale ends. If they solve the December funding issue on the 1st of January they badly need to raise more money.

So what you're saying is... they badly need to keep raising more money?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Paladinus posted:

When I look at gameplay clips with my third eye, I see fifty different planes of existence coming together, colliding but not collapsing. I see universal laws bent to the will stronger than that of what created the act of being. My mind travels through cosmos and I am no longer just a useless drone with an office job, I am a Star Citizen.

Same

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

So what you're saying is... they badly need to keep raising more money?

That's the game I've been watching for 2 years.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

AP posted:

I did the math based on the average wages of employees per studio and they've spent like 30 million dollars of their 95 million dollar budget, not accounting for the motion capture/voice acting (which is completely out of my area of expertise). I couldn't be less concerned with their finances.

As for their stability in massive settings, speculation is pointless until they actually show it off (which is supposed to be in 2 weeks, right?)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Danknificent posted:

nostalgia is a helluva drug

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I did the math based on the average wages of employees per studio and they've spent like 30 million dollars of their 95 million dollar budget, not accounting for the motion capture/voice acting (which is completely out of my area of expertise). I couldn't be less concerned with their finances.

As for their stability in massive settings, speculation is pointless until they actually show it off (which is supposed to be in 2 weeks, right?)

Bullshit. Learn to understand what running a business of any size costs. Their base outlay before staffing has easily burned half their cash. Easily.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Ok, so if they don't need the money why all the sales?

Not sure if I'm being trolled. I think they are badly hurting for cash and intend to ship SQ42 in May 2016 with 5 or 10 missions and possibly even refer to Star Citizen as released which dramatically cuts down their chances of ending up under investigation for fraud if everything falls apart. I'm not sure they'll achieve that or even make it that far before they run out of money.

On top of that the 20% off physical store items makes me think they have bad cash flow problems too.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 20, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I've never seen the Wing Commander movie and I'm sure as hell not gonna watch it now so I decided to watch Spoony's review of it. Seeing 30 minutes of that poo poo I have to ask: why would anyone ever trust croberts to create something that's fun and functional?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Then you've made a mistake in your math. If we assume 300 employees, earning $50k per year, that's $15 million in one year on wages only. Prevailing wisdom says you double an employee's wage to find the actual cost of their employment, taking into account employee benefits, taxes, utilities and all the other expenses a company incurs, this gives us $30 million in one year, not the whole project's lifetime, which is now round 4 years.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I know a person that got 2.0 access.

He legitimately believes that this game will release next year.

He spent almost $200 so far.

I feel so bad for him. What do I do? :eng99:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kikkelivelho posted:

I've never seen the Wing Commander movie and I'm sure as hell not gonna watch it now so I decided to watch Spoony's review of it. Seeing 30 minutes of that poo poo I have to ask: why would anyone ever trust croberts to create something that's fun and functional?

Because he made a fun and (largely) functional game once. Maybe even twice (and he only went 400% over budget). Everything else he has ever done is obviously an anomaly compared to that data point.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

AP posted:

I think they are badly hurting for cash and intend to ship SQ42 in May 2016 with 5 or 10 missions and possibly even refer to Star Citizen as released which dramatically cuts down their chances of ending up under investigation for fraud if everything falls apart.

This might keep them out of jail, but when the game itself isn't anything special, and the faithful start to realize they aren't actually any closer to their new space lives, what then?

We've established that these hardcore SC fans are out of touch, but there has to be a limit. What happens when we get there? Is there precedent on this scale?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Inacio posted:

Sever

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inacio posted:

:sever:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Inacio posted:

Find out if Anarchy Online is still running and gift him a subscription to it.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Inacio posted:

Let him live his life.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The average wage fails to take into account the numerous other expenses that such an endeavor requires. Infrastructure, utilities, benefits, equipment, licensing, contracts, travel, all of that is expensive. Then you have the nonrecurring costs like multiple motion capture systems, paying A-list actors, building a new studio in one of the most expensive parts of the US, paying for Sandi's vacation research trip, and severance for all those employees who leave because that's totally normal.

The actual costs can easily be double or triple the salary of an employee.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Danknificent posted:

This might keep them out of jail, but when the game itself isn't anything special, and the faithful start to realize they aren't actually any closer to their new space lives, what then?

We've established that these hardcore SC fans are out of touch, but there has to be a limit. What happens when we get there? Is there precedent on this scale?

What could anyone even do in that scenario?

"I don't like the game! It didn't live up to my delusional expectations! It's fraud!!!"

The only way they can get in serious trouble is if they don't ship anything at all or really gently caress up by just ignoring all their insane promises.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history
https://goo.gl/6MDtib

Please show your working out, including the above information into calculations, and explain how this works.
Honest request - we've barely seen a few people math this out, but if you can prove the above (and the apparent need for sales) isn't an alarming situation (either Chris has enough money to buy that mansion of his, and go to monte carlo, and doesn't actually need the money and is just selling stuff for the sake of it, or he doesn't, has a burn rate of ~$3m a month, and really needs people to keep pledging) then please do.

Please include your workings for the average wages for relevant personnel across US, UK, and Germany into your explanation (again, evidence and maths, please, and not just low level grunt pay, but also execs, and equipment purchases, space rents for offices, property, etc).

Because right now, with late filings, and other assorted evidence, the picture isn't as rosy as you just painted it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Inacio posted:

tell him to spend more or he isnt truly supporting the vision

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

Then you've made a mistake in your math. If we assume 300 employees, earning $50k per year, that's $15 million in one year on wages only. Prevailing wisdom says you double an employee's wage to find the actual cost of their employment, taking into account employee benefits, taxes, utilities and all the other expenses a company incurs, this gives us $30 million in one year, not the whole project's lifetime, which is now round 4 years.

We're not talking 300 employees for the past three years though. Look at the growth of their studios. These studios are placed in cities where they have huge incentive programs for the arts, so who knows what trickery those accountants are up to, but I see your point on benefits. Okay, maybe they've spent half, but I highly doubt they're near the red.

Not to mention the freelancers that are coming in, doing their work and leaving to the next freelance gig.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Danknificent posted:

Let him live his life.

Even though he has a poopy pawn job and is actually saving money to buy digital virtual computer video game space ships in detriment of other (much) more important aspects of his life?

Not sure if that's really ideal!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Inacio posted:

What could anyone even do in that scenario?

"I don't like the game! It didn't live up to my delusional expectations! It's fraud!!!"

The only way they can get in serious trouble is if they don't ship anything at all or really gently caress up by just ignoring all their insane promises.

What I'm getting at is that it seems like inevitable career suicide, at least for the shotcallers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

We're not talking 300 employees for the past three years though. Look at the growth of their studios. These studios are placed in cities where they have huge incentive programs for the arts, so who knows what trickery those accountants are up to, but I see your point on benefits. Okay, maybe they've spent half, but I highly doubt they're near the red.

Not to mention the freelancers that are coming in, doing their work and leaving to the next freelance gig.

ah yes, santa monica. known cheap location and tech hub

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

Find out if Anarchy Online is still running and gift him a subscription to it.

It's honestly still running.
Freebie accounts and everything.
Don't even need a sub.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

We're not talking 300 employees for the past three years though.

I didn't say we were. I was just pointing out how we can get to your figure in company expenses in one year with 300 employees, which makes your figure seem wildly optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Inacio posted:

Even though he has a poopy pawn job and is actually saving money to buy digital virtual computer video game space ships in detriment of other (much) more important aspects of his life?

Not sure if that's really ideal!

People make questionable decisions. It's part of life. I've heard there are people who pay 9.95 to post on a forum. It's not ideal, but we don't go full social worker on them, do we?

• Locked thread