Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marumaru
May 20, 2013

Danknificent posted:

I've heard there are people who pay 9.95 to post on a forum. It's not ideal, but we don't go full social worker on them, do we?

Dang, that sounds just as bad or worse than the Star Citizen folks.

I'll pray for those souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Can we finally say that the game is out?

Honestly prior to my refund I was definitely looking forward to a joy ride with my connie. That dream, is all but dead. Now looking at 2.0, I'm guessing people love it just to spite haters.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Danknificent posted:

This might keep them out of jail, but when the game itself isn't anything special, and the faithful start to realize they aren't actually any closer to their new space lives, what then?

We've established that these hardcore SC fans are out of touch, but there has to be a limit. What happens when we get there? Is there precedent on this scale?

No, nothing like this has been seen on this scale in gaming before. The closest thing I can think of is this.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

AP posted:

No, nothing like this has been seen on this scale in gaming before. The closest thing I can think of is this.

The parallels between SC and Bitcoin just don't end.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Star Citizen:
[_] A cult
[X] Not a cult

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Tippis posted:

Step 1: Be aviators.
Step 2: Be on someone.

what do you have against 1970's motorcycle cops?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Danknificent posted:

This might keep them out of jail, but when the game itself isn't anything special, and the faithful start to realize they aren't actually any closer to their new space lives, what then?

We've established that these hardcore SC fans are out of touch, but there has to be a limit. What happens when we get there? Is there precedent on this scale?

The sunk cost fallacy is a pretty good trap for nerds.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

neonbregna posted:

The sunk cost fallacy is a pretty good trap for nerds.

have you not heard that 2.0 is out and it has saved PC gaming?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

Even though he has a poopy pawn job and is actually saving money to buy digital virtual computer video game space ships in detriment of other (much) more important aspects of his life?

Not sure if that's really ideal!

Link him some videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7ywfd1qe8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnO1sGjfJ_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE

Or gifs

If that doesn't work change the subject to the new star wars movie and after a bit send him this.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Agrajag posted:

what do you have against 1970's motorcycle cops?

Three things, mainly: 1970s, motorcycles, and cops, at least in combination.

Unless we're talking about Electra Glide in Blue, which is almost mesmerising in its incoherent nonsensicalness.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

AP posted:

They broke the juke box, a subscriber flair item.

does anyone have the video of this??? I've been trying to find it forever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

no_recall posted:

Now looking at 2.0, I'm guessing people love it just to spite haters.

I liked what I saw on twitch yesterday a lot because it's exactly my kind of poo poo. :shobon:

But I also understand there's a *really* low chance of the jankyness ever going away even after the game is stamped out of "alpha" or whatever they're calling it now.

Then there's the fact that everything in there can be done in space engineers, right now, except in SE I can build my own ships and poo poo. And contrary to SC, SE actually had a working non-janky netcode implemented in the past, but had to roll it back, because it ran worse for people on dial up lines with 9000 ping :arghfist:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Alexander DeLarge posted:

so who knows what trickery those accountants are up to

LOL

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Question:

They've filed for Foundry 42 in the UK - have they filed for the other UK based companies that were behind on their taxes?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

We're not talking 300 employees for the past three years though. Look at the growth of their studios. These studios are placed in cities where they have huge incentive programs for the arts, so who knows what trickery those accountants are up to, but I see your point on benefits. Okay, maybe they've spent half, but I highly doubt they're near the red.

Not to mention the freelancers that are coming in, doing their work and leaving to the next freelance gig.

Yeah, it's probably not that bad. If we account for growth and shrinkage over the course of the last 3 years, I'd probably go with about half what a 300 employee company would cost for the entire time period. If I add in the crazy cost modifier for stuff like multiple mocap-studios, I'd guess they blasted around 60 million dollar into the ether so far.

So judging by the progress they made in the last 3 years, I guess they will run out of money in about another year and the entire project will collapse about two years before release.

Now if they were lying about the number of backers and the amount of money they made, boy would they be in trouble

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

Now if they were lying about the number of backers and the amount of money they made, boy would they be in trouble

In reality, they only made 17 million. They have 1 programmer, 2 artists and Gary Oldman. :v:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

In reality, they only made 17 million. They have 1 programmer, 2 artists and Gary Oldman. :v:

That Gary Oldman has so convincingly played the parts of both of the fictional characters "Chris Roberts" and "Sandi Gardiner-Roberts" is just proof of the man's excellent acting ability.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

AP posted:

Not sure if I'm being trolled.

You are.

This is pretty fantastic too.

blueberrysmith fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 20, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Libluini posted:

Yeah, it's probably not that bad. If we account for growth and shrinkage over the course of the last 3 years, I'd probably go with about half what a 300 employee company would cost for the entire time period. If I add in the crazy cost modifier for stuff like multiple mocap-studios, I'd guess they blasted around 60 million dollar into the ether so far.

So judging by the progress they made in the last 3 years, I guess they will run out of money in about another year and the entire project will collapse about two years before release.

I figure that's a realistic number, maybe a bit lower. I also believe S42 and 2.0 will bring in a new wave of backers, probably hit 130M-140M+ once everyone is seeing gameplay on YouTube and S42 is being sold in an unfinished state

Wouldn't be surprised if they did an early access release to really push those sales once backers on their site slow down a bit. I'd be very surprised if the game's funding became an issue when they're this close to releasing the content everyone cares about and has been waiting for.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Did any streamers make it to the hipster gin bar IN SPACE that they spent half an hour talking about yesterday, or is that not in the game yet?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I figure that's a realistic number, maybe a bit lower. I also believe S42 and 2.0 will bring in a new wave of backers, probably hit 130M-140M+ once everyone is seeing gameplay on YouTube and S42 is being sold in an unfinished state

Wouldn't be surprised if they did an early access release to really push those sales once backers on their site slow down a bit. I'd be very surprised if the game's funding became an issue when they're this close to releasing the content everyone cares about and has been waiting for.

:gary::laffo::yarg:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Sandi still has it on her FB account.

e: Linky - https://www.facebook.com/215475438505750/videos/10202099640322289/

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E20X8mqG_PA

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AP posted:

They broke the juke box, a subscriber flair item.

DEAR GOD ITS COMING RIGHT AT ME

A+ work on the survival horror death scenes.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 20, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

mcjomar posted:

Question:

They've filed for Foundry 42 in the UK - have they filed for the other UK based companies that were behind on their taxes?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08882924

No and it's filing accounts, not taxes.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Fair play to him then, it's impossible to tell sometimes with Citizens.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So what's new?

2.0 out in limited numbers on the PTU and people are streaming it now?

Is it buggy as gently caress? (haha)

Do we have something resembling a game?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The average wage fails to take into account the numerous other expenses that such an endeavor requires. Infrastructure, utilities, benefits, equipment, licensing, contracts, travel, all of that is expensive. Then you have the nonrecurring costs like multiple motion capture systems, paying A-list actors, building a new studio in one of the most expensive parts of the US, paying for Sandi's vacation research trip, and severance for all those employees who leave because that's totally normal.

The actual costs can easily be double or triple the salary of an employee.

You and I discussed this on the brown sea almost 2 years ago. People thought we were loving nuts. The truth is, they're loving idiots who have no idea what economic rents are. It's more than just the gross salaries of employees. You know what my employer's biggest cost besides wages is? Electricity. We spent millions on electricity last year.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Those of you (looking at Loiosh) who want a :sperg: simulation with 80 page manuals. Look no further than Rogue System

Because you're in over your head if you think SC is going to provide a tactical simulation beyond anything out there. If you compare the new UI stuff CIG posted, there's literally nothing interesting in that UI that you can't do in E:D.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

this video is basically chris roberts going "i didn't expect this scam to work but it did and i got away with it and now i'm rich"

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

LCL-Dead posted:

Crashes at least once every 5 minutes or so.

quote:

hahahaha no.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also people who are comparing CIG with Frontier

the difference is one company is filled with game developers and the other one is filled with clowns. I think I've had like 2 or 3 crashes in all my hundreds of hours playing elite since beta.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

You'd think if they were smart, they'd just put the accounts in all at once and get it over with.
I guess they don't have enough accountants or something?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

LCL-Dead posted:

So what's new?

2.0 out in limited numbers on the PTU and people are streaming it now?

Yes.

Not unbelievably so, but yeah it was in no state for release.

This is the one that kind of surprises me, but no- I was ready to give them a hand after they actually got something out. But it appears that every major promised component- the FPS station, multi-crew, and missions- is nonfunctional at the moment. Beyond that it's clear that no thought has been put into the economics, power balance of ships, or respawn mechanics. It's a fly-around-the-skybox-until-the-game-crashes simulator right now.

But everything's alright, I did the math and they've only spent $15 and some subway tokens to date. They still have $93.9999 million to finish their game. When they finish their cross-licensing deal with the Transformers franchise they should pick up an additional 500 million in China, so the game is in good hands.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've been sitting on this fun fact for a while, but not really known what to do with it...

Behold, Gary Oldman's sister.

:gary: :yarg:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

AP posted:

Same as always, they need time to raise more money, which pays for the time needed to reach the next sale.

CIG is going out of business we're having a firesale, everything must GO!

All spaceships 50-90% off!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

the flaw in your plan

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

thanks, now I have to sit and contemplate why I asked for this.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

Those of you (looking at Loiosh) who want a :sperg: simulation with 80 page manuals. Look no further than Rogue System

Because you're in over your head if you think SC is going to provide a tactical simulation beyond anything out there. If you compare the new UI stuff CIG posted, there's literally nothing interesting in that UI that you can't do in E:D.

I feel that most CIGdrones think that somehow SC is going to be as complex as Rogue System but without all the, you know, complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Darkpriest667 posted:

You and I discussed this on the brown sea almost 2 years ago. People thought we were loving nuts. The truth is, they're loving idiots who have no idea what economic rents are. It's more than just the gross salaries of employees. You know what my employer's biggest cost besides wages is? Electricity. We spent millions on electricity last year.

I'd have thought McDonalds spent more on gas but you live and learn

I AM ONLY JOKING CITIZEN HO HO HO

• Locked thread