Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Well, that's first for me, a video less than a minute long that I couldn't watch all the way through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

ah yes, santa monica. known cheap location and tech hub

tbf SM is more and more a destination for tech companies. It's nowhere near large enoguh to be Silicon Valley 2.0 but your first point still stands

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

Those of you (looking at Loiosh) who want a :sperg: simulation with 80 page manuals. Look no further than Rogue System

Because you're in over your head if you think SC is going to provide a tactical simulation beyond anything out there. If you compare the new UI stuff CIG posted, there's literally nothing interesting in that UI that you can't do in E:D.

Oh, I'll have to check that out.

I'm actually also one of those people who occasionally enjoy a good complex sim. I'm (slowly) trying to learn to fly and manage systems in Falcon BMS 4.33, and I fire up a flight of the A-10C Warthog in DCS once in a while. Learning systems can be fun.

But SC, bless its little black heart, appears to be complex just as a surface veneer. What I've tried is no more complex in reality than Elite, just obfuscated a bit more.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Darkpriest667 posted:

You and I discussed this on the brown sea almost 2 years ago. People thought we were loving nuts. The truth is, they're loving idiots who have no idea what economic rents are. It's more than just the gross salaries of employees. You know what my employer's biggest cost besides wages is? Electricity. We spent millions on electricity last year.

Do you work in one of those schools where they jack the students up to the mains when they get a question wrong or something?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

the flaw in your plan

If Rust could make Garry Newman like 50 million dollars in such a poo poo state and Day-Z standalone could make them tons of dosh, Star Citizen will manage to sell quite well.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

Do you work in one of those schools where they jack the students up to the mains when they get a question wrong or something?

Milgram Memorial High School

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I also believe S42 and 2.0 will bring in a new wave of backers, probably hit 130M-140M+ once everyone is seeing gameplay on YouTube and S42 is being sold in an unfinished state

How many new backers do you imagine they're going to attract? One enormous problem they face is that they've already pre-sold $90m+ worth of orders. They're operating like a profitable business, building mocap studios and opening expensive offices, except that's not profit, it's a liability, and even if they manage to get something substantial out the door it's going to be really special watching them attempt to continue the way they are currently operating without coming up with increasingly desperate methods for milking their fanbase.

There is unlikely to be a substantial number of potential buyers just waiting in the wings. PC games aren't big sellers in general. The average sales for a game on Steam is something like 30,000 iirc, it takes a big hitter like a Bethesda RPG or GTA to do serious numbers on PC. Also, you might have noticed that outside the CIG forums and sub-reddit echo chambers there's a great deal of negative opinion about this "game". It's going to take something pretty special to get over that and I don't know if an unfinished game with hours of Croberts movie magic cutscenes is going to do it.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Nice to see the assault rifles are just as limp as they were months ago, it's almost like there has been no progress in the FPS features

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Inacio posted:

I feel that most CIGdrones think that somehow SC is going to be as complex as Rogue System but without all the, you know, complexity.

Rogue System isn't my thing. I've spoken about it a few times here and in more detail (far, far too much detail) on reddit. Basically, there's no need for manual button pushing like that. (Derek) Smart computers are far better at handling these things, which is why the modern space cockpits like the SpaceX Dragon have more automated panels and control systems. If you really want to read about my thoughts I can link to it, but it's all in my reddit history.

I did the deep dive on FSX because that's what real airplanes are like, and for a time I was considering a career switch to being a commercial airline pilot. Due to the downturn in the economy and the wage issue with pilots, I decided to stay where I am, I make more with what I'm doing than most save the senior pilots.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I did the math based on the average wages of employees per studio and they've spent like 30 million dollars of their 95 million dollar budget, not accounting for the motion capture/voice acting (which is completely out of my area of expertise). I couldn't be less concerned with their finances.

As for their stability in massive settings, speculation is pointless until they actually show it off (which is supposed to be in 2 weeks, right?)

Did your teachers never tell you to show your work?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

alphabettitouretti posted:

How many new backers do you imagine they're going to attract? One enormous problem they face is that they've already pre-sold $90m+ worth of orders. They're operating like a profitable business, building mocap studios and opening expensive offices, except that's not profit, it's a liability, and even if they manage to get something substantial out the door it's going to be really special watching them attempt to continue the way they are currently operating without coming up with increasingly desperate methods for milking their fanbase.

There is unlikely to be a substantial number of potential buyers just waiting in the wings. PC games aren't big sellers in general. The average sales for a game on Steam is something like 30,000 iirc, it takes a big hitter like a Bethesda RPG or GTA to do serious numbers on PC. Also, you might have noticed that outside the CIG forums and sub-reddit echo chambers there's a great deal of negative opinion about this "game". It's going to take something pretty special to get over that and I don't know if an unfinished game with hours of Croberts movie magic cutscenes is going to do it.

I don't think they'll hit a million until (if) 2.0 is stabilized. There's just not a lot of trust left to CIG, for reasons shared here, so they're not going to pull in new backers like they used to with JPEGs. They have to prove it, and they have to prove it within the next month. If they cannot stabilize 2.0, then Derek's 6 month prediction looks quite accurate, depending on their COH.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Lol.
It's "alpha" for bugtesting. I don't need a 1000 people to know my game crashes literally every second. They are not even hidden or obtuse bugs to find.

But of course, the fans go "It's how an alpha is supposed to be."

No. No it is in fact not.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Space Engineers, if you want a better minecraft that is also in sci-fi space and on planets, it's 50% off right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Truga posted:

Speaking of Space Engineers, if you want a better minecraft that is also in sci-fi space and on planets, it's 50% off right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/
Can one create really silly Kerbal poo poo there?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just watch the trailers on that page IMO, it's all in-game footage. But yes, it's very kerbal, although the physics are super basic and top speed is 104m/s. I hope they can fix the top speed, it'll be a really awesome game then.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Truga posted:

Is Space Engineers actually any good? Can I build a ship that looks like a giant dong and troll people endlessly?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Can Derek Smart sue for Croberts blatantly infringing on the IP behind Derek Smart's Desktop Commander?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

blueberrysmith posted:

Is Space Engineers actually any good? Can I build a ship that looks like a giant dong and troll people endlessly?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724257

:dong:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

I don't think they'll hit a million until (if) 2.0 is stabilized. There's just not a lot of trust left to CIG, for reasons shared here, so they're not going to pull in new backers like they used to with JPEGs. They have to prove it, and they have to prove it within the next month. If they cannot stabilize 2.0, then Derek's 6 month prediction looks quite accurate, depending on their COH.

CIG are really happy about being on two gaming magazine covers, I don't know what their circulation figures are but they'll certainly get a bump from that. That's why it was on the stream along with a new French guy that I foolishly thought was some big name dev hire, that turned out to be a new marketing suit to cover Sandi's exit from the company.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Their lowering revenue, despite their sales and constant events plus their reliance on more expensive ships to try and generate more revenue all point to the more casual 30-60 dollar pledger base has been exhausted. And without that base, I dont think they can generate a whole lot money.

Whales are fine for continuous operation of a game once its actually done and you just release a few content patches here and there. Its just not sustainable for the sort of operation CIG are doing.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Been flicking through all four of the twitch channels playing the game and - weirdest thing guys - this crashes a LOT more than the impromptu off-the-cuff demonstration they played live in real time with no trickery back at the 'con. They should roll back to that fully functioning build (even with it's crazy quirks like clipping in the elevator LOL!), that would sure impress a lot of these people much more than loading screens and crash dialogues.

:allears:

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think there are enough potential buyers to fund this "game" even if they could make the BDSSE. That alone should be the biggest red-flag.

If all of these true-believers think it's totally okay and normal for the game to take 5 years to develop, who is going to pay for that?

Do people think that Fallout 4, Halo, or Destiny could have been successfully crowd-funded? A game of this intended scope absolutely needs a publisher in order to be developed. There is no way for CIG to maintain funding until they have an actual feature-complete product.

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet
So I'm looking at some Twitch streams of 2.0 and all I'm seeing is peoples desktops(game crashed) or loading screens and streamers being really excited and happy about it.

This is surreal.

Here's an exciting compilation for those who can't watch!

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
Hang on. Is multi-crew included in 2.0? I've heard conflicting reports.

As in is it possible to operate the turret on, say, a Constellation while someone else is flying it?

Or has the "game" crashed before anyone could actually check?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Loiosh posted:

Even if they hit a million that's still not profit if they haven't finished the game. All that will do is allow them to keep on ticking over for a bit longer. And that reduces your market for the finished product even more.

A well organised operation would have had clearly defined goals with a sensible plan for completing it within a set budget and would not have succumbed to ridiculous feature creep. The wrong way to do things is have dollar signs pop into your eyes like a cartoon when you see how much money neckbeards are willing to throw at you and then behave as though selling spaceship jpegs is your business model.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 20, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Cuntpunch posted:

Can Derek Smart sue for Croberts blatantly infringing on the IP behind Derek Smart's Desktop Commander?

This is a good question; someone fetch legal.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Aesaar posted:

As in is it possible to operate the turret on, say, a Constellation while someone else is flying it?

Yes...

..... if you manage to turn on a constellation without your game crashing or disconnecting. So no, not really.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a list of keyboard commands or anything for this monstrosity?

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I think Alt-F4 is a popular one.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Aesaar posted:

I didn't see anyone successfully do it last night. I did see people fly right out the back of a ship, or crash upon entering, etc. etc. I also didn't see anyone even try to activate the consoles other than the pilot so I'm not sure if they're in or not- I am guessing not, Mobiglass was also non-functional from the one minute shot that a streamer took of it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Loiosh posted:

Rogue System isn't my thing. I've spoken about it a few times here and in more detail (far, far too much detail) on reddit. Basically, there's no need for manual button pushing like that. (Derek) Smart computers are far better at handling these things, which is why the modern space cockpits like the SpaceX Dragon have more automated panels and control systems. If you really want to read about my thoughts I can link to it, but it's all in my reddit history.

I did the deep dive on FSX because that's what real airplanes are like, and for a time I was considering a career switch to being a commercial airline pilot. Due to the downturn in the economy and the wage issue with pilots, I decided to stay where I am, I make more with what I'm doing than most save the senior pilots.

Yeah, I totally agree.

I still think that it's cool to have some complexity, even if only for the coolness/spergness gameplay, but then again, every 6 months or so I fire Prepar3D up and actually have fun.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 20, 2015

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
warriorscot
warriorscot
Posted: -
Is anyone else mildly annoyed that the squadron 42 preorder T-shirts already have 20% off and they haven't even been delivered yet. It's not so much about the money as it's money I would spend on Star Citizen, but it's a really poor show to discount something on preorder way before the actual items have shipped. If they aren't selling and you want to lower the price to get them sold that's fine, but that's a sign you put the price too high to start with and really CIG should think about giving the people that did order early the difference in store credit. May sound a bit of an over reaction for less than 5 euros of a difference, but it's the principle of the thing.

This is from the RSI website .......... If I understand this correctly , some pan head has ordered a lovely T shirt (Probably size XXXXXXXXL) payed top dollar for it and now CIG have discounted them , too offload them faster ... before the idiots that have paid full price for them have received them??

Is that about right?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Not calling you out Loiosh, I'm reposting cause you probably missed it yesterday and I'm genuinely curious.

MeLKoR posted:

Loiosh posted:

3 years of full term development for a game like this? It's pretty normal. I mean, I've posted developer times in the past, though Beer has a better list. For an ambitious game I expected around a 5 year cycle before the release, and around $100 million.
Then how could Chris Roberts, a developer with more than 2 decades of experience, not know this? Say what you will about the state of the game but you can't deny that Croberts has repeatedly lied about dates when it's obvious in retrospect that there was no way he could have thought the "two weeks" "soon" "in the final stages" he gave out once in a while could possibly be true.

How does this fact alone not sour you to the whole thing?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

EightAce posted:

It's not so much about the money ... but...
lol

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

warriorscot
warriorscot
Posted: -
Is anyone else mildly annoyed that the squadron 42 preorder T-shirts already have 20% off and they haven't even been delivered yet. It's not so much about the money as it's money I would spend on Star Citizen, but it's a really poor show to discount something on preorder way before the actual items have shipped. If they aren't selling and you want to lower the price to get them sold that's fine, but that's a sign you put the price too high to start with and really CIG should think about giving the people that did order early the difference in store credit. May sound a bit of an over reaction for less than 5 euros of a difference, but it's the principle of the thing.

This is from the RSI website .......... If I understand this correctly , some pan head has ordered a lovely T shirt (Probably size XXXXXXXXL) payed top dollar for it and now CIG have discounted them , too offload them faster ... before the idiots that have paid full price for them have received them??

Is that about right?

Pretty much, yeah.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

AP posted:

CIG are really happy about being on two gaming magazine covers, I don't know what their circulation figures are but they'll certainly get a bump from that. That's why it was on the stream along with a new French guy that I foolishly thought was some big name dev hire, that turned out to be a new marketing suit to cover Sandi's exit from the company.

My thought on that last night was who reads magazines still? I think it's only a thing in some places in the EU.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

Then how could Chris Roberts, a developer with more than 2 decades of experience, not know this? Say what you will about the state of the game but you can't deny that Croberts has repeatedly lied about dates when it's obvious in retrospect that there was no way he could have thought the "two weeks" "soon" "in the final stages" he gave out once in a while could possibly be true.

JPEGs sell better when people think they'll be out in two weeks.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Meanwhile, on the Merchandise front, a fan tries to gently shame Sandi into using his better solution for Star Citizen swag.

This guy's merch looks better and would deliver faster than CIG's China solution (whether they did an outsourcing contract or licensing one). That CIG should do this or something like this has been obvious forever-- and yet...

...he took to reddit to try to get Sandi to pull the trigger- even putting out a poll titled "Getting Star Citizen Better Merchandise".

Personally, I think he just torpedoed his chances (and fan hopes). Quantifying fan dissatisfaction with CIG's crap solution does not seem a smart way to curry favor with someone who prizes loyalty above all other traits and expends enormous effort projecting an image of marketing competence.

That dozens chimed in excited about his proposal will likely be seen as an act of mass insubordination, further dooming the chances this better solution will see the light of day...

Oh well-- we'll always have China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

mcjomar posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

gently caress me these people shouldn't be allowed to breed, not that its an option for most of them. I'm going to get Chris to front a kickstarter for some magic beans I'm looking to offload ... Jesus

• Locked thread