Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ragequit posted:

I've never played an Etrian Odyssey game but might be interested for that price. Do I really have to draw my own stupid map or is there an auto-complete setting for that?

I think there is an autocomplete setting but if you use it then you are a garbage person. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

codenameFANGIO posted:

Holy poo poo, if you don't buy Etrian Odyssey Untold for $10 you're a loving fool.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I think there is an autocomplete setting but if you use it then you are a garbage person. :mad:

I am both a fool and a garbage person, then. I have a few of the early EO titles, and I couldn't get into them partly because I didn't want to draw my own maps. I want to explore dungeons, kick monster arse and earn glorious treasure, not play fantasy Jacques loving Cartier.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
How does the mapping feature work? Is it drawn freestyle or are you tapping in squares on a grid?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cumshitter posted:

How does the mapping feature work? Is it drawn freestyle or are you tapping in squares on a grid?
Everything is snapped to a grid. You draw along the grid lines where the walls are, paint in the floors, and then drag in objects and type in notes and stuff.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
squares on a grid.

I know in 4 it would monitor your moves so you'd get a basic map, but it wouldn't mark down any secret passages, walls, teleporters, etc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drawing maps is a lot of fun.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Persona Q had an autocomplete thing but all it did was outline the walls. Not sure if Untold does more.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

cumshitter posted:

The mapping is really easy. It will automatically fill in the squares that you walk over, in EO4 at least. You can draw in walls with a grid-snapping line tool, and you can paint in tiles you haven't walked over manually. Once you get used to the way the floor textures tile, it's really easy to quickly draw an inaccessible chunk of a room, or otherwise map out a room while standing still to make it easier to track an FOE. There are also a bunch of symbols you can put down to remind yourself of special squares or resource nodes, and you can place little custom text notes on the map for more specific things.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

MarcusSA posted:

Drawing maps is a lot of fun.

Yep... it's like 60% of the reason I like those games. Very satisfying to map out an entire dungeon.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MinibarMatchman posted:

Also Street Fighter GBA Revival is actually pretty good if only because it lets you activate an "easy mode" for special moves if the control pad is too wonky for you.

What's the point of a single player fighting game?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've never played a Pokémon mystery dungeon and recently noticed I got like more money than I thought, could anyone explain it basically? I couldn't really glean what it was from the direct. It looks like Pokemon plus Zelda plus Animal Crossing with random elements?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
What's even the point of releasing all Red, Blue and Yellow? Just release Yellow - it's the only one anyone needs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think yellow has all 151, so you need the other versions so people can trade.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

PoshAlligator posted:

What's even the point of releasing all Red, Blue and Yellow? Just release Yellow - it's the only one anyone needs.

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T EVEN EVOLVE YOUR GODDAMN PIKACHU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My Pokemon Yellow advice - put Pikachu in the PC the first chance you get

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This is it. Pokemon on VC is the topic that tears apart the 3DS goons :rip:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

greatn posted:

I don't think yellow has all 151, so you need the other versions so people can trade.

Red and Blue together will let you complete the Pokédex between the two of them, but Yellow's list of unobtainable mons (among which is Raichu, hilariously) also includes several ones that are only in either Red or Blue, so you need access to both the other 2 games to complete the dex in Yellow.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have a bulbasaur if anyone wants to trade it.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

No, wait, you can't get 151, can you? Mew is either event-only or you have to abuse glitches.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

wall monitor posted:

No, wait, you can't get 151, can you? Mew is either event-only or you have to abuse glitches.

Mew isn't required to complete the Pokédex, you still get the completion diploma without it.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here it is, the must-have eShop game of 2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI5xc8JCazI

Look, I'm just saying...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

greatn posted:

I've never played a Pokémon mystery dungeon and recently noticed I got like more money than I thought, could anyone explain it basically? I couldn't really glean what it was from the direct. It looks like Pokemon plus Zelda plus Animal Crossing with random elements?

It's a dungeon-crawler with Pokemon. Your character is a human who's been turned into a Pokemon and transported to a world inhabited only by Pokemon. You can talk to them like NPCs in any RPG, and you take their quests and solve their problems. The dungeons are procedurally-generated, and one of the big aspects of it is resource management. Your inventory space is limited and there's the hunger mechanic- you need to eat as you explore, or you will die. When you die you lose all the items in your bag and half your money, so you don't want to do that. As the game goes on, you can recruit Pokemon you find in dungeons and eventually evolve them.

The genre is "roguelike," if you've heard of those.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Silver Falcon posted:

It's a dungeon-crawler with Pokemon. Your character is a human who's been turned into a Pokemon and transported to a world inhabited only by Pokemon. You can talk to them like NPCs in any RPG, and you take their quests and solve their problems. The dungeons are procedurally-generated, and one of the big aspects of it is resource management. Your inventory space is limited and there's the hunger mechanic- you need to eat as you explore, or you will die. When you die you lose all the items in your bag and half your money, so you don't want to do that. As the game goes on, you can recruit Pokemon you find in dungeons and eventually evolve them.

The genre is "roguelike," if you've heard of those.

I have heard of but never played such. Is that like Gauntlet?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

greatn posted:

I have heard of but never played such. Is that like Gauntlet?

In the sense of being a dungeon crawler with a ticking meter restored by food, yeah. Key common features of many roguelikes include:
-randomized dungeon layouts
-permadeath/losing all or most of your items or levels on defeat and having to start back at or near the beginning
-a hunger system or some other system to encourage you to keep exploring and not linger on every floor clearing everything out
-step-based movement where for every step/action you take enemies also get a step/action

Permadeath is the most off-putting thing if you're new to them or don't understand how they work. It's often the case that while your progress through the dungeon is stopped by dying there are certain ways to make incremental progress that will make further attempts easier, besides just the knowledge of what sorts of things you'll face in certain areas. There are often ways to upgrade weapons or abilities and then send them back to the starting area for safekeeping so you don't lose them on death; eventually you'll have a powerful weapon from the start that lets you tear through things quickly (but make sure you have a way to send it back in case things get hairy.)

I haven't played any of the Pokémon ones but I have played quite a bit of the Shiren the Wanderer port for DS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here it is, the must-have eShop game of 2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI5xc8JCazI

Whoever owns the ZOIDS license is going to sue the poo poo out of them for that Command Wolf knockoff.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Apropos of nothing, I want to say I really appreciate that Nintendo is still doing the intermittent updates to the eShop theme. Like here's the latest one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZiR9Aln_dk

Some of the best elevator music of our time is coming from eShop music updates that Nintendo appears to do for the hell of it. I wonder what the story is behind them. Is there a composer who does these every few months for fun?

Help Im Alive posted:

My Pokemon Yellow advice - put Pikachu in the PC the first chance you get

What, and lose the adorable follower sprite? Fat chance. I want to talk to my Pikachu and heart it say "Pika!" in an incredibly compressed voice.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

having pokémon follow behind you in heart gold/soul silver was the best change they ever made to pokémon and it's a goddamn travesty they haven't brought that back in any other game

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
I wish they'd have also kept the character customization from X/Y. I hated going back to default-same-as-everyone-else characters.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

MisterAlex posted:

I wish they'd have also kept the character customization from X/Y. I hated going back to default-same-as-everyone-else characters.

game freak's response to why they dropped it is laughably stupid and hopefully they go back on it for gen 7

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

game freak is laughably stupid

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

game freak's response to why they dropped it is laughably stupid and hopefully they go back on it for gen 7

What was their reason again?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Volt Catfish posted:

Why would you say this and then not mention what the reason is.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when is pokemon z

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pokemon aren't people and they aren't pets. They are beasts of utility, sustenance, and entertainment, and they belong in their pokeballs and in PCs.

If you aren't training, battling, or working your pokemon it should not be out.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Why would you say this and then not mention what the reason is.

According to them, the character customization is supposed to be "unique" to gen/6 the kalos region because the region focuses on fashion. They try to say it's just like how gen 3's "thing" was secret bases and "richness".

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The actual reason being of course that they didn't want to design more clothes for the ORAS protagonists when they could get away with not doing so.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
What's the reason for Voltorb Flip being HG/SS exclusive (other than a personal slight against me)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Game Freak is insane and for some reason just randomly makes some things worse every generation and removes features for fun. Remember hard mode? Lol

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

checksin posted:

What's the reason for Voltorb Flip being HG/SS exclusive (other than a personal slight against me)

Because it was only there to replace slot machines before game freak realised it was easier for them to remove that stuff entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

voltorb flip is the secret second best thing in the pokémon franchise, behind having your pokémon follow you

HG/SS really are the best games