Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jesus gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15070-AnniVERSEary-Sale-Explorers

Heh, I entirely forgot about the daily sales, maybe they'll make 500k a day.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
"2.0 PTU! Star Citizen is Finally Coming Together!

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

OWLS! posted:

Why do you think this would ever be any different?

(Also the original kickstarter was for basically Wing Commander whatever, I don't know where people are getting "Deep Space Sim" from)

Right now there's no evidence beyond words it'll be much different. I guess if you count the 2.0 release you can see that they have similar basic missions while lacking things like AI fleets/battles. So it's a wait and see. The reason I think it'll be different is text. I still give them the benefit of the doubt.

I understan that most people here do not and their reasons for that perspective, and want to be clear that I have no desire to encourage people otherwise. When asked, I answer with my thoughts and my personal history, but I fully support everyone's choices on their perspective.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

alphabettitouretti posted:

/r/starcitizen has noticed this.

There's also apparently a glitch where pushing another player while they're at a terminal locks them out until they're pushed back, and trying to refuel or repair a ship crashes the whole server.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are actually faking the 64-bit stuff by actually using precise 32-bit positioning close to areas of interest and loosely when away from them.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

20% VAT on that, not that tempting to me personally but it's there if you want it.

:munch:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
In Stock.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

20% VAT on that, not that tempting to me personally but it's there if you want it.

oh yes thats totally tempting

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm watching someone else (BadNewsBaron) try to play this game on Twitch, my third streamer since last night.

Nobody has managed to keep the game running for more than 10 minutes. Jumping onto someone's "mutli-crew" ship causes a crash. Approaching a planet causes a crash. Blowing up space pirates causes a crash. Several times people haven't managed to get to the ship selector (which has one of the ship names bugged) before a crash. I haven't seen anyone do FPS yet, but some guy claims he played it for 15 minutes and will put it on Youtube. Everytime I see the game crash to desktop I keep hearing an airhorn in my head.

I have any number of games I could be playing right now or comedies I could be watching on Netflix, but this is the most hilarious gaming experience I've ever had.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Berious posted:

Shameful. Even Scientologists believe if they spend enough they get to shoot lasers out of their eyes or whatever.

Holy poo poo! Signing up now!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

AP posted:

What stars? :shrug:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

She should kill Olivia Munn. I think that's the chick taking all her roles

also olivia munn is way better looking

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3tkrq1/length_of_development_time/

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

skaboomizzy posted:

Nobody has managed to keep the game running for more than 10 minutes. Jumping onto someone's "mutli-crew" ship causes a crash. Approaching a planet causes a crash. Blowing up space pirates causes a crash. Several times people haven't managed to get to the ship selector (which has one of the ship names bugged) before a crash. I haven't seen anyone do FPS yet, but some guy claims he played it for 15 minutes and will put it on Youtube. Everytime I see the game crash to desktop I keep hearing an airhorn in my head.

We legit pointed out why they think is acceptable on the stream last night and the believers started shouting that we should go play consoles instead since this is the future of PC gaming.

Just amazing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm watching someone else (BadNewsBaron) try to play this game on Twitch, my third streamer since last night.

I have any number of games I could be playing right now or comedies I could be watching on Netflix, but this is the most hilarious gaming experience I've ever had.

i like how there is someone so desperate to white knight the game that they are lying about playing the lovely FPS but in their head they don't register that as completely pathetic and weird

dont worry guys he is totally going to upload the video right when he finds his camera and gets out of the shower

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Jimb posted:

Holy poo poo! Signing up now!

Report to your local Org and sign for the Tech. They'll have you Clear in no time! Remember to avoid that squirrel tech and follow your PTSP training.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Look at this smug guy with his working game and profitable company

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It's in this kind of image where you can see the deep commitment CIG has to realistic physics and attention to detail. This space-airplane uses its main thruster to go straight upwards using a little known property of Minovsky particles.

You can bet your rear end the super-detailed stewardess simulator included for the spacebus will have as much *fidelity* and attention to detail.

I'm optimist about this whole thing.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Enjoying is an understatement.

Awe is the right word for me. The game feels like every sci-fi daydream I've ever had.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've said before that game development is like building a skyscraper.

For a few years you have an empty lot, a hole in the ground. Then eventually you have a ground floor. You look at it and say, wtf have they been doing? This is all I have for 3 years? Then 2 weeks later, a 2nd floor, 2 weeks later a 3rd. This continues, and suddenly a year or two after that ground floor you have a 60 story building.

This is an excellent analogy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3tjaoo/psa_if_you_are_at_a_ship_terminal_in_port_olistar/

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Loiosh posted:

I understan that most people here do not and their reasons for that perspective, and want to be clear that I have no desire to encourage people otherwise. When asked, I answer with my thoughts and my personal history, but I fully support everyone's choices on their perspective.

Dude, you bought a dream. Your wide-eyed optimism may be charming, but it ain't going to stop me from pointing, laughing, and making PAAARP noises in your general direction.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Madcosby posted:

For a few years you have an empty lot, a hole in the ground. Then eventually you have a ground floor. You look at it and say, wtf have they been doing? This is all I have for 3 years? Then 2 weeks later, a 2nd floor, 2 weeks later a 3rd. This continues, and suddenly a year or two after that ground floor you have a 60 story building.

Source your quotes, please.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
suddenly a year or two after

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Holy poo poo, DickWulf just gave this streamer $100.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Tippis posted:

Because he made a fun and (largely) functional game once. Maybe even twice (and he only went 400% over budget). Everything else he has ever done is obviously an anomaly compared to that data point.

I saw this a while back. Is there a story here? Was WC3 or WC4 a budget disaster?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Danknificent posted:

I come to you now despite a solemn oath to never cave and 9.95; I only wanted to lurk this thread from the shadows until CIG and SC were only a bad memory.

But I have to show support for this Loiosh character. His optimism borders on implausibility, but by god if he isn't the most civilized dude I have ever seen on the internet.

Be strong, Loisosh. Even as all us lurkers wait impatiently for SC to implode, we're all silently cheering you on while clinging stubbornly to our 9.95.

Yes, I speak for all lurkers.

Literally same.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

Holy poo poo, DickWulf just gave this streamer $100.

Is the streamer an internet girl? Because if so she's about to get creeped out

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Madcosby posted:

sure is

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

OWLS! posted:

Dude, you bought a dream. Your wide-eyed optimism may be charming, but it ain't going to stop me from pointing, laughing, and making PAAARP noises in your general direction.

Very well

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Loiosh posted:

Very well

:gary:PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

skaboomizzy posted:

I've seen the FPS in BadNewsBaron twitch. You basically approach this space station and roam around, wait until someone arrives to it, and then you duke it out. There is an assault rifle in the station you can pick to use instead of your pistol and some sort of laser thing. The FPS mechanics are well below wath you could find in half-life 1 (seriously, that is some 1995 poo poo) so nobody is actually going to play them for fun but because you're forced as part of a mission.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
So I know that it's very gauche, but I'll say that obvious stability problems aside (and the hilarious streamers blaming Windows for the crashing), this game looks more feature-complete than I ever thought it'd get. I think that's more a statement on expectations than execution, but still.

fake edit: Ha, "server full" messages in a tiny mock-up.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Loxbourne posted:

I saw this a while back. Is there a story here? Was WC3 or WC4 a budget disaster?

Dunno about Wing Commander because that FMV poo poo was weak. But I know he promised the earth for Freelancer, ran through the patience of one evil publisher then Microsoft bought the game, fired him and put out whatever that was playable. To be fair Freelancer owned but it would have never seen the light of day if Chris had been at the helm making the perfect the enemy of the good forever.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I think now we can say for sure the Citizencon footage was a citizen con. Unless someone misplaced a semicolon or something in the subsequent two weeks.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

trucutru posted:

I've seen the FPS in BadNewsBaron twitch. You basically approach this space station and roam around, wait until someone arrives to it, and then you duke it out. There is an assault rifle in the station you can pick to use instead of your pistol and some sort of laser thing. The FPS mechanics are well below wath you could find in half-life 1 (seriously, that is some 1995 poo poo) so nobody is actually going to play them for fun but because you're forced as part of a mission.

Imagine the goldmine if they ever get FPS decently playable and monetized.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

"2.0 PTU! Star Citizen is Finally Coming Together!

There was a moment on one of these streams last night, after the umpteeth crash and "this is totally awesome!" the streamer just stopped and stared with this vacant look on his face for 10 seconds, then went back to playing. Wasn't this guy though.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

I explained my reasoning on the previous page. I've been aware of this game for months. It's really a case of: I did this with airplane sims for a few years. And it was fun, but I'm ready for something new. I mean if you want to try to talk me into E:D, I've already played it. My husband and roommate both have it. Roommate was borrowing my equipment to play it to see what he thought.

You should really just play ED. We have a game over there and a (semi) organized group of players playing it.

Frontier had many of the same "goals" that CIG did in the beginning as well.

Come play with us. Get on mumble and be serenaded by the lovely Kermit Laphroaig.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
leave loish alone, he's pretty cool and I'm sure he and his husband will enjoy whatever star citizen turns into. or other space games if star citizen fails. at least he's not a German scientologist or a paedophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

CS:GO gun skin game all up in Star Citizens FPS(lol) happened already right? Or was that just a theory crafting post?

• Locked thread