Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

grimcreaper posted:

theres a difference between a game thats actually a recruiting tool pretending to be a game, and a space ship game movie pretending to be a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
These streams are literally the worst thing I've watched. Ever.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

I know a game that does all of this....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345580/

...and then some. Without even getting into the crew management aspects.

Here's the manual, commands and tutorial docs for the brave at heart.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

blueberrysmith posted:

These streams are literally the worst thing I've watched. Ever.

I'm watching BadNewsBaron and he's crashed 5 times so far and only got into a ship once(then it crashed again). But it's okay, it's alpha.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So there is this "design document" with a huge-rear end explanation about shields in spaceship games, the differences between commercial, industrial, bandit, racing, and military shields and the companies who make them. It's like a million words long but lets go to the part where they explain how they actually work, shall we?

Pictured: an actual game with actual shields

quote:

That’s all well and good, but how do our shields work, deep down? With the current implementation, we keep track of up to 32 simultaneous hits on each ship that are rendered onto a bespoke shield mesh. An impact wave is generated and mapped onto the shield mesh for each hit based on the hit’s parameters, and by applying a variety of 4 dimensional coherent noise/gradient patterns, we are able to make the effect propagate smoothly over the shield’s surface.

We plan to overhaul the effect soon though, to address some of its existing limitations and add features requested by Chris Roberts. The biggest change involves dynamically generating the shape of the shield every frame using the existing art and physics meshes. This will allow the shield to wrap more tighter around every part of the ship, morph to match animating parts such as turrets and engines, and adapt to changes in the ship’s silhouette due to parts being blown off. It will also simplify ship setup as we will no longer need to manually create a UVW-unwrapped shield mesh for each ship.

To improve the scalability of the effect, hit impacts will be accumulated in an off-screen buffer first, then shaded in a deferred pass. This will allow for a larger number of simultaneous impacts, which will be crucial for our larger ships. The noise patterns will also be read from textures instead of being calculated procedurally, to allow for more variety and better artist control.

Well, yes, that should be enou...

quote:

Beyond what we’ve discussed above, there are a number of improvements to the shield systems that we’ve started to consider, and while these designs aren’t fleshed out yet, this is the perfect place to provide that first glimpse of what is to come.

Blah, blah blah signature management., blah, stabilization emitters, blah angle of attack

Yes! that's the kind of immersi...

quote:

But as long as there’s this snazzy lore for how shields work, why not push it further? Imagine managing shields that behave like a fluid dynamics system, into which you can send impulses to move that energy around, taking a very active role in manipulating even those emitters directly, compensating for damage or preparing for the next onslaught in ways that go well beyond anything your pilot will even understand is happening.

wow, the posibilities are endl...

quote:

There could be a Shield Pulse subsystem, in which you sacrifice a great deal of the power sustaining your shields in order to build up a charge, one which will significantly boost those shields for a short time when you release that energy again. This charge-up would gradually increase heat and power signature, making it a balance game for anyone using this to get the upper hand in an ambush before they give themselves away, and the charge could be built up in stages, giving the ambushee the chance to push their shields every time they can break line of sight for a few moments.

I t...

quote:

We could have a Direct Projection Mode , which takes all of your shield faces and merges them down into only one – leaving you exposed to attacks from all other directions, but strengthening the health and regeneration of the remaining face beyond even the total health you might normally get (energy fields reinforcing each other, you understand). Then the shield operator could aim this singular shield face directly, taking a very hands-on approach to damage mitigation, making a well-oiled machine of a team into a true force to be reckoned with.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you could do that in X-Wing. But it didn't have a fancy name.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I appreciate the quote fix. thanks!

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Watched a stream for 15 mins. Saw 3 crashes. Observed 0 instances of gameplay that could remotely be considered fun.

It's quite clear they've spent more time on chair swivelling and visor frosting animations than on silly things like putting together a reasonably stable engine that actually has any chance of supporting their 'vision' of what this game is going to be. I find this utterly hilarious.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

LCL-Dead posted:

Has his hair always been that gray or is it the lighting?
It's the reflective shine from the Ten Voss shampoo and conditioning treatment she used. (Not paid for by backers so don't start rumors.)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

I posted that a few pages back. If they failed to get 2.0 out by the middle of december. If I cannot play a Connie by then and have my friend join me, that's when I'll be done with SC. If they hit that delivery, then I'll be happy with the progress. I have a different perspective from the zeitgeist here, which is why my perspective is confusing.

Also, I need to head to bed!

So going by the 2.0 non-release (I did say that it won't be ready, but they'd release it for anni anyway), are we to assume then that if none of the above happens by Dec 15th, you're done? You do realize that's like, 3 weeks away, right?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

1500 posted:

You then followed it up by saying 3 years of development. So you are saying that a working Demo and 1 million spent in that year is preproduction? Wow, so you might as well discount the year after the kickstarter as well, as less was produced. Hey look at that SC has only been in development for 2 years, they really are not that far behind.

Considering CR counted that year as part of development, I think its safe to assume that it was actual development. But you can stretch preproduction to as long as you want if that makes you feel better.

Yes. And according to my sources, they (Chris, Sandra, Ortwin) paid themselves from the crowd-funded money for "prior work + expenses". Which means that we can't even toss that 1yr away. These are some of the things we hope to uncover soon.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Did they post somewhere what was actually supposed to be "new" in this 2.0 release? It looks a lot like all the other leaked footage I've seen.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

So going by the 2.0 non-release (I did say that it won't be ready, but they'd release it for anni anyway), are we to assume then that if none of the above happens by Dec 15th, you're done? You do realize that's like, 3 weeks away, right?

You do realize that he will weasel out of that using any technicality available, right?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

grimcreaper posted:

I appreciate the quote fix. thanks!
You're welcome :)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Yes. And according to my sources, they (Chris, Sandra, Ortwin) paid themselves from the crowd-funded money for "prior work + expenses". Which means that we can't even toss that 1yr away. These are some of the things we hope to uncover soon.

ahahahah holy poo poo paying themselves for prior work :homebrew:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

blueberrysmith posted:

Did they post somewhere what was actually supposed to be "new" in this 2.0 release? It looks a lot like all the other leaked footage I've seen.

Mush mouth Christ rattled off some features at the very end of the stream yesterday. I think it was eight of one type of mission, eight of another, three stations, fps, multicrew, two flyable ships. Actually, I can't remember or didn't hear all of them, a listing would be nice.

So far I haven't seen any of these missions or FPS, but I haven't been glued to any streamer either.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Please uncover everything. Chris Roberts killed my dream and i want his dream to suffer the same fate.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

KM Scorchio posted:

Watched a stream for 15 mins. Saw 3 crashes. Observed 0 instances of gameplay that could remotely be considered fun.

It's not a surprise, or even a particularly bad thing that they've released it in this state, given where they're at.

But what's going to be telling is how long it stays in this state.

Will the updates be quick and plentiful, clearly and measurably improving it?

Will they literally just walk away and leave it like this as a sad offering to keep people occupied until the next sale?

Will they pretend by releasing small, meaningless patches to make it look like they're working on it?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

blueberrysmith posted:

64 bit arithemtic (according to octopode) - but flying "long" distances causes the game to freak out and crash
fps - hidden and no one can find out
multicrew - crashes game when two people try to get in the same ship
"baby pu" - absolutely nothing is persistant

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Daztek posted:

I'm watching BadNewsBaron and he's crashed 5 times so far and only got into a ship once(then it crashed again). But it's okay, it's alpha.

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. This is their release? Did anyone actually test this prior to releasing this to 1000 idiots to mess around with? Seems like the very basics don't really work.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

D_Smart posted:

Well CR stated that he would be reimbursed for his expenses for that first year. This happened when SC hit the 20 million TOTALLY FUNDED mark, just for CR to state nope sorry we forgot about taxes and I need my money back. And so the new goal was 23 million.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Berious posted:

Somewhere on the internet there's a Moo3 forum where they still talk about how it's the best game ever and the trolls just don't understand and it'll get fixed any day now

too soon

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

To be honest I laughed in the tutorial where you explain how to do inter-system jumps and there's an experienced commander method and a "man-child" method. Old school.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Btw has anyone tried Alt-TAB in SC? I dont care enough to install but wondering...

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

G0RF posted:

Now Sandi is letting us know she has a motorcycle license, unlike her husband. She had a Kawasaki ninja, a "little crotch rocket", and then inappropriate comments followed that I didn't quite catch...

BTW, generally, even when something is live on twitch, you can check the "past broadcasts" section of the channel and see a recording of the currently streamed content up to a pretty recent timeframe. So if you want to see if you can catch those comments, here you go:

http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/26773328

edit: Watched some of the video, I guess Sandi read my comment from this thread asking why she never wears her wedding ring -- Chris always does -- because she calls it out and says "I am actually wearing my ring this week"

RuckusRouser fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 20, 2015

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Loiosh posted:

I posted that a few pages back. If they failed to get 2.0 out by the middle of december. If I cannot play a Connie by then and have my friend join me, that's when I'll be done with SC. If they hit that delivery, then I'll be happy with the progress. I have a different perspective from the zeitgeist here, which is why my perspective is confusing.

Also, I need to head to bed!

D_Smart posted:

I cannot believe I am agreeing with DS but there is no bloody way they will get a smooth multicrew out to everyone in 3 weeks. Even 3 months would be an unreal expectation from an optimist

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

RuckusRouser posted:

BTW, generally, even when something is live on twitch, you can check the "past broadcasts" section of the channel and see a recording of the currently streamed content up to a pretty recent timeframe. So if you want to see if you can catch those comments, here you go:

http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/26773328

edit: Watched some of the video, I guess Sandi read my comment from this thread asking why she never wears her wedding ring -- Chris always does -- because she calls it out and says "I am actually wearing my ring this week"

out of serious curiosity, do the token minority/woman ever talk? I dont think ive seen them ever talk.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I did the math based on the average wages of employees per studio and they've spent like 30 million dollars of their 95 million dollar budget, not accounting for the motion capture/voice acting (which is completely out of my area of expertise). I couldn't be less concerned with their finances.

As for their stability in massive settings, speculation is pointless until they actually show it off (which is supposed to be in 2 weeks, right?)

Are you on drugs? If so, what kind?

They're burning through around $25m a year. Not to mention all the ancillary experiences they've burned through on bullshit.

And you're calculating employee and contractor payments only; with numbers you pulled out of someone's rear end.

Meanwhile, there are those of us with access to information that is 100% irrefutable.

You think they're just crazily raising money because, well, they can? No. It's because they must. As in, they have no choice.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

mcjomar posted:

Question:

They've filed for Foundry 42 in the UK - have they filed for the other UK based companies that were behind on their taxes?

No. My people are checking every frigging day. Nothing yet.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

blueberrysmith posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. This is their release? Did anyone actually test this prior to releasing this to 1000 idiots to mess around with? Seems like the very basics don't really work.

No, this is the public test before the release. The Public Test Universe (PTU) exists for crash testing and the only people who should bother downloading it are masochists.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

FPS is in, as it turns out- gameplay for anyone not following streams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC7m98VWBEA

He actually shoots the drat gun at around 7:30. It looks pretty... rudimentary, but really it's about all I was expecting in a first release. It's not the pillar on which the game is supposed to be built, just a supporting aspect. Still waiting on multi-crew.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nicholas posted:

64 bit arithemtic (according to octopode) - but flying "long" distances causes the game to freak out and crash
fps - hidden and no one can find out
multicrew - crashes game when two people try to get in the same ship
"baby pu" - absolutely nothing is persistant

Let's be fair, this thing is poo poo but they do have some of the features.

1) 64-bit: Who knows? Doubt so.
2) Multicrew: It is there but not fully implemented, of course. Some testers have even found stowaways in their ship (which were catapulted to space randomly by the engine)
3) FPS: It's there, it is poo poo.
4) Persistence: Not there

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Derek, do you know of any reason why Sandi is suddenly pushing the "I am married to Chris" thing in such a hardcore manner? Between the anniversary flowers tweet and suddenly wearing a ring that she hasn't ever worn in public appearances, including her CitCon reveal speech, it seems REALLY odd.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Sarsapariller posted:

FPS is in, as it turns out- gameplay for anyone not following streams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC7m98VWBEA

He actually shoots the drat gun at around 7:30. It looks pretty... rudimentary, but really it's about all I was expecting in a first release. It's not the pillar on which the game is supposed to be built, just a supporting aspect. Still waiting on multi-crew.

That didn't look too bad at all. Far from perfect, but if that was the first thing I ever saw from Star Citizen, and someone told me it was pre-alpha, I'd probably be sold.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

My guess would be 1 more year (So, 2017) before you'd see the first alpha of what would be an SC MMO. Which would be about 5 years after 2012. Most here like to count 2011 as the start date, so let's say 6 years then. That's about what I would guess, 2017.

So you guess SC will never come out, then. Because in 2017 they will run out of money, at the last. Probably they'll be in real trouble already by the end of 2016.

Let's save these little posts of ours for eternity and see who will be right in the end. I say by 2017 SC will be deader then Duke Nukem Forever was, you say in 2017 angels will come down from the heavens and give us the real Star Citizen (while presumably slaughtering Chris Roberts and his ilk for being sad clowns, angels are hardcore like that).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

RuckusRouser posted:

Derek, do you know of any reason why Sandi is suddenly pushing the "I am married to Chris" thing in such a hardcore manner? Between the anniversary flowers tweet and suddenly wearing a ring that she hasn't ever worn in public appearances, including her CitCon reveal speech, it seems REALLY odd.

From what I understand, they tried to cover up the fact they were married for reasons we can only speculate, Derek called them out at some point, and her response has been ":byodame: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT IVE NEVER TRIED TO COVER UP MY MARITAL STATUS!"

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Danknificent posted:

That didn't look too bad at all. Far from perfect, but if that was the first thing I ever saw from Star Citizen, and someone told me it was pre-alpha, I'd probably be sold.

Yeah the game looks fantastic. There's plenty of talented people working on it, but that's not where the problems are.

It's too bad really.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SirPhoebos posted:

From what I understand, they tried to cover up the fact they were married for reasons we can only speculate, Derek called them out at some point, and her response has been ":byodame: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT IVE NEVER TRIED TO COVER UP MY MARITAL STATUS!"

P much

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Danknificent posted:

yeah, that seems to be the consensus. If this is what they showed three years ago, that would be perfect.

Unfortunately for Crober, my calendar reads 2015.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

blueberrysmith posted:

Yeah, I have a list here. It's all bullshit.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=447#post452936626

After thinking about it, I finally figured out wtf Chris was rambling about incoherently. He wasn't actually saying this would be in the "PTU 2.0". He said that it was "coming to PTU 2.0". The YouTube of the stream isn't up yet so I can verify exactly how he worded it.

If my theory is true, then we're right back with the whole AC fiasco whereby, 18 months later, it's a loving mess. So this 2.0 is going to have the same fate. Which means what he promised here, probably won't be in for another six months. Assuming they survive past Q1/16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Hiring unqualified people to pull executive salaries from a crowdfunded project into a single household seems reason enough.

• Locked thread