Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DarkRefreshment posted:

Just two weeks™ more until I'm told to pound sand or here is our offer of 1/10th of your money back...

Obviously he's ahead of Patrick, who hasn't even gotten to early October...

quote:

Patrick Probst (Cloud Imperium Games)
Nov 20, 13:41

Greetings Most Patient Backers!

A quick update to let you know that you are still in my personal queue and have not been forgotten!

As most of you are aware we have a considerable amount of tickets to take care of and are trying to get through them all as quickly as possible.

Me and the team really do not like writing templated or boiler plate mails such as this one, and I am really sorry for the lessened service provided to you of late.

You all deserve better. We know this.

Hopefully this will be the last template reply you will see from me before I get to address your ticket personally.

See you in the 'Verse!! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

neonbregna posted:

It has been repeatedly stated this will by a simulation you will be able to actually live in not something fun like a game

Experience the thrill of being a spaceship insurance actuary as you walk around a grey, slimy halo/gears of war setpiece from before it became a warzone.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I want to play a game which simulates me sitting at a computer playing a spaceship game but instead of flying a spaceship I'm actually playing a cocktail-mixing minigame inside a spaceship.

Edit: Correction, inside a space station.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Two questions to anyone that has knowledge about gold-selling in current-gen MMOs. Please list on a per-game basis:

1) What is the average cost of in-game currency from 3rd party sites? (e.g., Xdollars/euros/pounds for Ygold)
2) What is the ballparked earn-rate of in-game currency/hour for those games? (e.g., Zgold every hour)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I want to play a game where I am a fat nerd on a space station in the distant future with no friends and no outlet so I buy imaginary cars for exorbitant prices in an MMO about driving in traffic on ancient Earth, which has been delayed for several years and will probably never come out.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

D_Smart posted:

So going by the 2.0 non-release (I did say that it won't be ready, but they'd release it for anni anyway), are we to assume then that if none of the above happens by Dec 15th, you're done? You do realize that's like, 3 weeks away, right?

I do, that's my goal. I'll be posting here so everyone will know. :)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Have they got the new flight system in the 2.0 PTU release??? Do the ships have actual inertia?
More importantly:

ShredsYouSay posted:

Bootchas video was great and now his splash comments make sense.

Will you be making a goon de yadda video after star citizen collapses?
Bootcha there had better be goon-de-yadda coming :mad:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Libluini posted:

So you guess SC will never come out, then. Because in 2017 they will run out of money, at the last. Probably they'll be in real trouble already by the end of 2016.

Let's save these little posts of ours for eternity and see who will be right in the end. I say by 2017 SC will be deader then Duke Nukem Forever was, you say in 2017 angels will come down from the heavens and give us the real Star Citizen (while presumably slaughtering Chris Roberts and his ilk for being sad clowns, angels are hardcore like that).

Sounds good. If it helps I've been following closely with Derek's outlook on things. We may not agree on the state, but I have listened to him and it's why I've been sitting on the sidelines since his first article in June/July.

Most here may disagree with my outlook, but I've been straight-forward and honest of my perspective, predictions and outlook and am happy to admit when I am wrong, as I did with Beer last night.

I believe in admitting to my mistakes, though I guess action will prove that over words. So assuming they make it to 2017, and assuming they get what I want by the middle of December 2015, I'll be here posting my thoughts on it. Including if I give up and ask for my money back.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So I asked some questions in the german Computer Base Forums SC Thread and the second reply was "just put him on the ignore list". Why so serious?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Citizens! I got my refund. No multiple buys/gifts/melts nonsense, just one purchase transaction.

Mid-October, sent in my request. 3 days later, auto-reply. Almost a week later, they said "Hey normally we don't do this, you actually sure you want a refund? Any press/media/nonsense that is the reason why you want to do this?" Same day I said "Yep, give me my money back, nothing in particular that set me off, just a combination of a whole bunch of stuff."

Then they asked for some details, asked how much I wanted, payment details, etc. Again, I replied back same day. Then a week later got the "We're backed up, but I'll get to it." from Mike. A week after that, "I hate template emails, but we'll get to it."

Time now is a month after my initial request, I threaten a charge back if I don't hear back in 2 days. The next day Mike says "Your refund is on the way, it'll take 5-10 business days to process." A couple days later and my credit card has been credited.

I'm now playing Star Wars Battlefront. An actual game where I can fly actual spaceships and it hasn't crashed once.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

Anyways, long story short, my entire career has been filled with experiences like this. Yeah, Chris gets it wrong to the point he's stopped offering dates, but then, so have I.

Good luck to you, I hope the game turns out great. I've figured that I'll win either way. :unsmigghh:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Reverse the Verse

Justin "money hat editor guy" is really proud that the livestream was so awesome and 85% of the videos came from us and weren't outsourced.

Odd thing to say.

Who do they outsource to normally then, Gemini 42 Entertainment?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Berious posted:

Mom can't make you tidy your room in the verse

In the grimdark future the only release comes from a magazine and a couple of rolls of toilet paper.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

well it depends on the accuracy you need between values, but say you wanted 0.0005 (half-thousandths) and you had a big ol' single space with quad precision coordinates, the largest value you could have with that accuracy is:

which if we treat that as meters, is equal to just slightly more than 535,963,096,677,217 light years

I was going to hold off until I finished my research, but the jittering people are seeing, are specifically the sort of problem that going to full bore 64-Bit addressing was supposed to solve.

The fact that it's still happening, when you move too far from an origin (e.g. planet, base, any object) in this v2.0 release, leads me to believe that they've probably done what I did back in the day.

cheat

As I tweeted this morning, this is done by going the (32-bit * 2) route, whereby you use a 32-Bit positional reference for that fixed object, then treat the player position as a 32-Bit value by using that fixed object as a reference.

It's messy. It's rudimentary. OMG! And it can/will break everything. And some of these out-of-nowhere-in-space crashes people are getting are the very symptoms you should expect.

That's why I abandoned it and went pure 64-Bit positional referencing. From my code review that I checked this morning, I did that back in 2000 for Battlecruiser Millennium which was the sequel to the original Battlecruiser 3000AD (two releases in 1996, 1999).

But it can work - depending on what you want to do. And if they had to do this, it all goes back to the core of the CryEngine3 code base because even with a custom engine, you are still at the mercy of the underlying architecture. And going as deep as I think they are doing now, you may as well just write your own engine from day one. That's how serious this problem is and is precisely what sparked my first blog back in July when I saw it mentioned in one of their dev updates.

A contact of mine was actually the first one to bring it to my attention this morning when he messaged me on Facebook. In our discussion, I refused to even believe that they would do that. Aside from the obvious implications (misleading the fan base, making false statements etc), it would most definitely mean that they simply - cannot - build the game at the world scope promised. I also told him that I can't imagine any of those engineers doing anything (lying intentionally) of the sort. That being, touting full bore 64-Bit addressing, then actually going with what amounts to a glorified (and expensive, complicated) hack.

I then checked their latest dev blogs, went back and re-read the previous ones; and didn't see any indication whereby they made any mention of doing this "hack".

And they may have done it if they felt that it would get them something sooner, rather than later. Then maybe fix it down the road. In other words, it's a quick fix to a very serious problem. And it would make sense as long as SQ42 doesn't actually take place in the full game world that has this size/position problem. Since nobody (at least to my knowledge) yet knows what section of the game world SQ42 actually takes place in, it would stand to reason that if they are trying to get SQ42 out ahead of Star Citizen in 2016, then it would be in their best interest to do this hack in the short-term, get SQ42 out, then go back and do it properly.

Which goes back to what I said earlier that the v2.0 branch they are now merging from and which will ultimately deprecate the current v1.0x, is going to be in the same sordid state as that v1.0x, for months to come.

I will know more once I get to dig into the game files with the help of some people I know; but this is the sort of technical poo poo that interests me. And if it reveals - yet again - that we're dealing with a bunch of lying scumbags - nothing will give me more pleasure that to force them to come clean. Again. Bear in mind that I have nothing but the utmost respect for the truly talented engineers who are tasked with pulling off this "vision 2.0" pipe-dream. Sadly, they're caught in the middle of this poo poo and are the casualties of a war that's going to be waging until one of two things happens: 1) they fail and fold 2) they succeed and deliver the game Chris promised

More soon.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I am severely disappointed that shooting a gun in space does not project you backwards.
They call this immersive!

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Obviously he's ahead of Patrick, who hasn't even gotten to early October...

I wonder if these guys only work the refund queues? One of the emails I got said that it was going over to their "refund guys". I suppose not but it would be interesting if that was 110 + Patrick's queue of refunds to process.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Loiosh posted:

Sounds good. If it helps I've been following closely with Derek's outlook on things. We may not agree on the state, but I have listened to him and it's why I've been sitting on the sidelines since his first article in June/July.

Most here may disagree with my outlook, but I've been straight-forward and honest of my perspective, predictions and outlook and am happy to admit when I am wrong, as I did with Beer last night.

I believe in admitting to my mistakes, though I guess action will prove that over words. So assuming they make it to 2017, and assuming they get what I want by the middle of December 2015, I'll be here posting my thoughts on it. Including if I give up and ask for my money back.

For the non-shitposting record (for a change), I can respect your position right now even if it's not one I'd want to be in myself. You've got your head on straight, you seem to have a good handle on expectations, and I don't know why everyone's trying to convince you that You Are Wrong apart from something about being on the internet making people want to be 100% right 100% of the time.

As for me, I'll be happy either way-- because if they do release a game, I'll gladly throw down my $30 to make some pubbies with $5,000 ships cry. :unsmigghh:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Forget the haters guys, WE DID IT!!! WE CHANGED PC GAMING FOREVER!!!!

/holidayvaycay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJbMHU_ax_k

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

/holidayvaycay

StarCitizen.mp4 :allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

You sir, are the better man.

I still have no clue why you're here though? I mean, seriously, look around you. Do you actually see anyone here who is even remotely anything but a clown chasing lols?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

D_Smart posted:

interesting tech talk.

Just out of curiosity (if you don't mind answering). What is the primary coding language used in LoD (I guess LoD:Tactics = C#, LoD = C++)? And do you use Unit Testing in your projects?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Citizen is the gift that keeps on giving.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

1500 posted:

She is overcompensating because she has a major crush on the new French guy. Just watch the live stream, if those two are not screwing yet, they will the next time she has a "French book club".
I'm all for critiquing Sandi on qualification claims, competence issues, and alleged toxic mistreatment issues. There's more than enough gold in them thar mines for a lifetime of tragicomic riches. But speculations / allegations about her sexual misdeeds even in jest almost make me feel defensive on her behalf. Aim higher than libeling her for fictive sexual misbehavior, mate. Satirization is richer and more rewarding and makes for guilt-free LOLs, too...

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
The head bob still going on in a cockpit while flying that increases and decreases with speed is amazing.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

I was going to hold off until I finished my research, but the jittering people are seeing, are specifically the sort of problem that going to full bore 64-Bit addressing was supposed to solve.
[... more interesting tech stuff ...]

This is the hero Derek I love. Can't wait for the tech deep-dive.

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002

Toops posted:

/holidayvaycay

Weird start, but the dude had it floored as soon as it booted up.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

D_Smart posted:

You sir, are the better man.

I still have no clue why you're here though? I mean, seriously, look around you. Do you actually see anyone here who is even remotely anything but a clown chasing lols?

I'm just here for sauce chat.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

I'm all for critiquing Sandi on qualification claims, competence issues, and alleged toxic mistreatment issues. There's more than enough gold in them thar mines for a lifetime of tragicomic riches. But speculations / allegations about her sexual misdeeds even in jest almost make me feel defensive on her behalf. Aim higher than libeling her for fictive sexual misbehavior, mate. Satirization is richer and more rewarding and makes for guilt-free LOLs, too...

I agree. Some things should be off-limits.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Loiosh, you're going to be a space trucker, right? So in whatever space game you end up choosing, will you help me transport space aid supplies to the space needy? I'm going to be a space social worker. Serious question.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DarkRefreshment posted:

I wonder if these guys only work the refund queues? One of the emails I got said that it was going over to their "refund guys". I suppose not but it would be interesting if that was 110 + Patrick's queue of refunds to process.

Patrick is the lead moderator.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Just curious, is this an open Alpha or not? All Backers and Package Buyers can test/play?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

G0RF posted:

Its not like I really care, and very much doubt she would, I was just answering a question on why she has made a drastic change in the display of her marriage.

I do find it funny that as an actress she is unable to hid her 14 year old girl crush, while on camera, makes you wonder why anyone would give her a call back, let alone a job. Then she yet again overcompensates when someone points it out (I was not the only one that committed), much like her hating black people. It just goes to show that she is reading this forum and is horrible at her job.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

1500 posted:

Its not like I really care, and very much doubt she would, I was just answering a question on why she has made a drastic change in the display of her marriage.

I do find it funny that as an actress she is unable to hid her 14 year old girl crush, while on camera, makes you wonder why anyone would give her a call back, let alone a job. Then she yet again overcompensates when someone points it out (I was not the only one that committed), much like her hating black people. It just goes to show that she is reading this forum and is horrible at her job.

lol yeah its not that you're creepy, got it

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

D_Smart posted:

Honest answer: This is the most active chat about SC in a place I like. Reddit is a bit circle jerky for me. So when I'm all chatty, I can find people to chat with.

Once my interest wanes again, I'll be quiet and lurking for another bit. What's best though, is having excellent posts like you and Beer writing a lot of detail. I enjoy learning and well written posts, so you guys are a big part of it.

It helps temper my excitement to see the other point of view. That way I'm always getting a good balance of perspective.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Re: 32/32 hack. Is this a "It can be done, just not by them" / competence issue, or an "in addition to serious practical issues there are also problems with their underlying theory and what they are attempting to accomplish may in fact be physically impossible" kind of thing?

Like is this some sort of butterfly effect/chaos theory thing going on where the act of trying to get consistent values derived from a pair of floating point thingies is just unlikely and therefore errors of this nature are a fundamental part of our universe, or is it more like their code is bad?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

Honest answer: This is the most active chat about SC in a place I like. Reddit is a bit circle jerky for me. So when I'm all chatty, I can find people to chat with.

Once my interest wanes again, I'll be quiet and lurking for another bit. What's best though, is having excellent posts like you and Beer writing a lot of detail. I enjoy learning and well written posts, so you guys are a big part of it.

It helps temper my excitement to see the other point of view. That way I'm always getting a good balance of perspective.

All good points. But seriously, many (just ask Karl) have snapped. Like right off the bat gone outright mental, postal and every variation thereof once they find resistance to their rhetoric. Even when we're just outright trolling them, they take it so seriously that, well, you've seen the results.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

botany posted:

lol yeah its not that you're creepy, got it

Since when is it creepy to make fun of someones marriage or sex life? I guess you live in a nunnery or something, sorry that talk about marriage and sex offended you.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

1500 posted:

Since when is it creepy to make fun of someones marriage or sex life? I guess you live in a nunnery or something, sorry that talk about marriage and sex offended you.

"this woman i don't know definitely has sex with this guy i don't know, let me speculate at length about what she's probably doing with him" - a normal person

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Kronok posted:

Weird start, but the dude had it floored as soon as it booted up.

At 600KM above planet Crusader the framerate fluctuates between +0.001 and +10 Frames per Second

There is nothing to stop system crashes.

No FPS.

No Missions.

Simulating in space is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Loiosh posted:

:gary:

But in all seriousness :gary:

• Locked thread