Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahx2-tXZeP8

<insert jpeg compression level joke>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

D_Smart posted:

All good points. But seriously, many (just ask Karl) have snapped. Like right off the bat gone outright mental, postal and every variation thereof once they find resistance to their rhetoric. Even when we're just outright trolling them, they take it so seriously that, well, you've seen the results.

I think it has to do with tying your identity to an object. It's not healthy. So people like that self-identify to Being A Star Citizen Fan. It happens a lot in gaming communities, and it always ends up with some going crazy and being obnoxious because they MUST defend this thing that's so important to them. It's become part of who they are.

For me, it's just a game (and not even much of one at the moment). I don't tie my identity to objects or entertainment I like, so I don't get upset that someone might dare to dislike something I like. It's like...

Just relax, dude, and enjoy life.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

botany posted:

"this woman i don't know definitely has sex with this guy i don't know, let me speculate at length about what she's probably doing with him" - a normal person

Oh so making a joke about them sleeping together is now "speculate at length" hahaha. I bet you write angry rants to the TV networks about how filthy and unclean they are.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

1500 posted:

Oh so making a joke about them sleeping together is now "speculate at length" hahaha. I bet you write angry rants to the TV networks about how filthy and unclean they are.

haha yeah keep pretending you're a normal non-creepy person who just happens to speculate about a female game devs sex life for fun, it's really working out for you

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

botany posted:

haha yeah keep pretending you're a normal non-creepy person who just happens to speculate about a female game devs sex life for fun, it's really working out for you

She's a public figure because she is the head of marketing for a publicly funded highly visible game company not just a "dev". And it's not just her if you are trying to play the sexist card. There have been more than enough fun poked at Ben and CR's sex life (or lack there of).

Besides, if making fun of people's sex life was "creepy" and socially unexceptable I wouldn't face them every time I see a tabloid at the grocery checkout line.

DarkRefreshment fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 21, 2015

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

botany posted:

Hey don't worry about it, I am sure your sex obsession can be helped. It must be hard on you though

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to go see Hatsune Mike in may

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DreadLlama posted:

Re: 32/32 hack. Is this a "It can be done, just not by them" / competence issue, or an "in addition to serious practical issues there are also problems with their underlying theory and what they are attempting to accomplish may in fact be physically impossible" kind of thing?

Like is this some sort of butterfly effect/chaos theory thing going on where the act of trying to get consistent values derived from a pair of floating point thingies is just unlikely and therefore errors of this nature are a fundamental part of our universe, or is it more like their code is bad?

It's not that complicated really. It's just a matter of :

quote:

Chris: What the gently caress is this poo poo!?!?

Engineer:

1) this is the problem

2) this is how to fix it

3) this is how long it will take to fix it

4) these are the problems we're going to face IF we fix it

5) these are the problems we're going to face IF we don't fix it

Chris: Go fix it:

Engineer: you do realize that if we do this, we're like hosed for like over a year, right?

Chris: Go fix it:

Engineer: OK then

Chris: (over a year later): Is it fixed?

Engineer: No

Chris: Why the Holy gently caress not?

Engineer: Well, remember 3 & 4? We're there now

Chris: gently caress! Any short-term solutions?

Engineer: Yeah. There is a plan 2B, but it's more hosed and isn't guaranteed to solve the problem fully

Chris: Do it

Engineer: OK

Chris (six months later): Why is 2.0 not ready?

Engineer: Remember Plan 2B? We tried it. Still poo poo. But we're working on it.

Chris: Anniversary sale is coming up, that rear end-clown Derek Smart has been making noise. We need to prove him wrong and released 2.0!

Engineer: OK

Chris (Nov 2015): Why is 2.0 not ready?

Engineer: Remember Plan 2B? We're still trying. Still poo poo. But we're working on it.

Chris: Anniversary sale is in TWO loving WEEKS!!! ARE YOU making GBS threads ME RIGHT NOW?!?!

Engineer: No, I'm not. It's complex. Because math is hard?

Chris: gently caress it. We're releasing 2.0. We have to save face, show progress and sell that loving Crucible

Engineer: Uhm, you sure, that's like a whole poo poo ton of...

Chris: I said ship it. Stick it in PTU and we'll play it off. I'll rattle off a non-existent poo poo, fan boys will lap it up and understand it's in the PTU so it's not expected to work. And by that time that wears off in six months, you clowns would have fixed it, right?

Engineer: Yes. I think so. But you do know that my last day is Dec 1st, right?

Chris: gently caress you.

Actually Nick, one of my devs from back in the past and who I regarded as a prodigy, just chimed in on Twitter. He's one of very few people who has had hands-on with my engine code base.

https://twitter.com/nvining/status/667835529900130305

And some others showing up.

https://twitter.com/JohnCobalt/status/667838092011773952

I looked in on the groupies in /r/DerekSmart/ after I got a DM earlier this morning when I first tweeted my theory. And sure enough, they've got an entire thread about it already in full bore bullshit mode. I'm so glad those retards are corralled over there. It's easy to know who to block and dox when they step out of line

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 21, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Imagine being the type of person who would play a game that crashes every 5 minutes w long loading times because you have a point to prove by pretending to enjoy it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Imagine being the type of person who would play a game that crashes every 5 minutes w long loading times because you have a point to prove by pretending to enjoy it.

They did a patch and now it doesn't seem to be crashing anymore. This guy is actually doing missions

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A Neurotic Jew posted:

As far as I can tell the PTU isn't really a game? I've seen nothing besides being able to fly around in space empty space for a few minutes before a CTD and to walk around on a space station.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Daztek posted:

They did a patch and now it doesn't seem to be crashing anymore. This guy is actually doing missions

That was pretty good. He bumped into the Sat array and now has to go get repaired.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

DarkRefreshment posted:

Besides, if making fun of people's sex life was "creepy" and socially unexceptable I wouldn't face them every time I see a tabloid at the grocery checkout line.

In what world have tabloids suddenly become respectable things to buy and read?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Loiosh posted:

I think it has to do with tying your identity to an object. It's not healthy. So people like that self-identify to Being A Star Citizen Fan. It happens a lot in gaming communities, and it always ends up with some going crazy and being obnoxious because they MUST defend this thing that's so important to them. It's become part of who they are.

For me, it's just a game (and not even much of one at the moment). I don't tie my identity to objects or entertainment I like, so I don't get upset that someone might dare to dislike something I like. It's like...

Just relax, dude, and enjoy life.

You have a level of zen that is refreshing as hell.

I'm glad most citizens do not, otherwise this protracted development dumpster fire would be almost entirely unfunny.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

peter gabriel posted:

I'd have thought McDonalds spent more on gas but you live and learn

I AM ONLY JOKING CITIZEN HO HO HO

all in good fun goonfriend. I never did work at Mickey D's but I did work at Burger king when I was a teenager for about 2 months.

Nickiepoo posted:

Do you work in one of those schools where they jack the students up to the mains when they get a question wrong or something?

No, I have no idea what jacking them up to the mains is. When my students are wrong we discuss it and then we go over it so they can get it right. I've told them before "I'm not trying to screw you, I want to help you. Berating you for being incorrect is a stupid way to teach someone." I prefer to lift them up not push them down.

EDIT--- all that said, when someone is fanatic about something and you know they're wrong and have patiently spent weeks,months, or, in the case of star citizen, years. It's safe to say berating is now fair game.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 21, 2015

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Loiosh posted:

So this is a little misunderstanding. I don't believe button pushing is compelling gameplay for me. I did like it when I was accurately simulating Apollo craft and Boeing Airplanes because that's what existed, but for the future, I would like more of that to be controlled by a computer. There's really no benefit to having humans do manual start ups that take 10 minutes to get going. I like the potential depth of a complex system simulation, without requiring manual start ups. I like troubleshooting problems, but like computer-assisted checklists and repair. Most modern aircraft, like the 777 and A380, are intelligent enough to at least offer the checklist to the pilots in case of failures or issues. Spending 10 minutes doing a cold-start is not that interesting to me.

I'm not saying Rogue System is wrong or bad. It's cool! it's just not what I'm looking for. I'm more into something like Enemy Starfighter.

Why do you keep bringing up Enemy Starfighter in this context? The game is explicitly super arcadey with sort of floaty WW2 fighters in space and is being made specifically with an Xbox 360 controller in mind.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Daztek posted:

It's okay, I'm sure they just implemented all those bullshit lies like missions, FPS, and large world in the last day once they realized D_Smart was on to them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it still looks like dogshit

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

It's okay, I'm sure they just implemented all those bullshit lies like missions, FPS, and large world in the last day once they realized D_Smart was on to them.

shut up octopode

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

Here, let me post the list again for you chum. You're welcome.

Now please go ahead and just cross off what's in the current PTU 2.0. Thanks.

quote:

20 encounters (not sure what that even means. are they missions?)

8 dogfighting missions

8 research missions

1 exploration mission

1 on-going battle in the background

1 wreckage in asteroid belt

1 station with PvP (fps presumably)

Security area (not sure which location) is PvP for fps and you can pick up weapons, recharge etc

You can repair ships

You can heal players and group (?) with others

Mobi-glass

Access to Crusader region which has 3 moons, 3 stations and an asteroid belt

You can fly ships such as Avenger, Retaliator, Constellation, and Vanguard

New flight models (we already knew about this from dev logs)

You can now EVA from the ship. This was shown at CitizenCon

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Eonwe posted:

shut up octopode

YO drat

BODIED

ideate
Aug 20, 2002
This badnewsbaron stream isn't being crashy and horrible nearly as much anymore. I was so excited. It actually kind of looks like fun.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

checkstock posted:

Why do you keep bringing up Enemy Starfighter in this context? The game is explicitly super arcadey with sort of floaty WW2 fighters in space and is being made specifically with an Xbox 360 controller in mind.

It's a cool game! The developer was a member of a forum I used to moderate, and I like what's been shown. Just because I have specific likes for certain things, doesn't mean I don't also like other kinds of games, like Rebel Galaxy (which I finished up two weeks ago and loved), Jupiter: The Nexus Incident, and Homeworld (which I admittedly sucked at).

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ideate posted:

It actually kind of looks like fun.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

Here, let me post the list again for you chum. You're welcome.

Now please go ahead and just cross off what's in the current PTU 2.0. Thanks.

It's okay, I'm sure these streamers showing off all your list of features you claimed were lies are all secretly CIG employees playing pre-recorded footage.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I'm actually pretty impressed with what I'm seeing here.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, I for one am glad the negativity is behind us. It's good people finally have something fun to play. I strongly suggest everyone who is not me buys a brand new space ship today.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

I'm actually pretty impressed with what I'm seeing here.

what part are you impressed with

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Thom12255 posted:

In what world have tabloids suddenly become respectable things to buy and read?

You're right, making fun of someone's hypothetical sex life is creepy and doesn't meet the highbrow humor standards of this illustrious something awful bash thread.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, I for one am glad the negativity is behind us. It's good people finally have something fun to play. I strongly suggest everyone who is not me buys a brand new space ship today.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
please dont start being positive about this game again because all thats going to happen is you are going to have to get another loving refund

just let the game crash and burn like it always was going to do, don't prop it up for longer

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Patrick is the lead moderator dipshit .

I'll tell you why.. He fits the definition better

dip·poo poo
ˈdipˌpoo poo/Submit
noun NORTH AMERICAN vulgar slang
a contemptible or inept person.

mod·er·a·tor
ˈmädəˌrādər/
noun
a person who moderates an Internet forum or online discussion.

RED 5 Patrick.... Patrick... RED 5

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

I was looking through videos for gifs and read reverse the verse notes. Missions are in you use your mobiglass or however it's spelled, array missions apparently lead to later ones, guns are apparently disabled on the main base whatever to prevent "trolling". The FPS gold horizon station is out there somewhere with guns enabled, at least one rifle there, no anti grav machine though.

I assume large world is in.

AP fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 21, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

AP posted:

I was looking through videos for gifs and read reverse the verse notes. Missions are in you use your mobiglass or however it's spelled, array missions apparently lead to later ones, guns are apparently disabled on the main base whatever to prevent "trolling". The FPS gold horizon station is out there somewhere with guns enabled, at least one rifle there, no anti grav machine though.

I assume large world is in.

Yes.

I was just being snarky about the claims that none of that was actually implemented that were being thrown around yesterday. Because that was kind of ridiculous, honestly.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Eonwe posted:

what part are you impressed with

Guy gets in his ship, takes a mission, the dialogue was actually almost kind of funny, he q-drives to a waypoint, blows up a couple of enemies, quest updates, he q-drives to a different area, gets repaired and refueled, flew to the FPS area, wrecked his ship because he's throttle-heavy, respawned, flew back to the FPS area, now he's running around FPS, jumping with assist from his jet packs.

No crashes.

I'm genuinely impressed.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Guy gets in his ship, takes a mission, the dialogue was actually almost kind of funny, he q-drives to a waypoint, blows up a couple of enemies, quest updates, he q-drives to a different area, gets repaired and refueled, flew to the FPS area, wrecked his ship because he's throttle-heavy, respawned, flew back to the FPS area, now he's running around FPS, jumping with assist from his jet packs.

No crashes.

I'm genuinely impressed.

It looked p fun.

Derek Smart can rest in peace, CR has saved PC gaming

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

No crashes.

I'm genuinely impressed.

You know that a bunch of games, including mine, did that, like over a decade ago, right?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

Yes.

I was just being snarky about the claims that none of that was actually implemented that were being thrown around yesterday. Because that was kind of ridiculous, honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TalbI3NRkj0

Major fanboy trigger warning, he cuts the crashes out, but shows missions and even some combat with pirates.

If they stopped the crashes in 1 day, that's impressive, though I'm so cynical about Star Citizen now a little voice is going "they faked the crashes to show how fast they can patch", but I'm ignoring it as that seems pretty far fetched even for CIG.

I know you get a hard time, I try to remain open minded but I'm aware I'm incredibly negatively biased based on years of them loving up. You have to admit Octopode them actually doing stuff is going to take a while to adjust to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Toops posted:

No crashes.

I'm genuinely impressed.

Yeah it's not looking too bad. In another year they could have an Elite:Dangerous on their hands. I quite enjoyed E:D for the record.

• Locked thread