Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

You know that a bunch of games, including mine, did that, like over a decade ago, right?

Oh totally! This game is still mad hosed. But I honestly thought we were months away from any of this stuff being anywhere close to playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

D_Smart posted:

As I tweeted this morning, this is done by going the (32-bit * 2) route, whereby you use a 32-Bit positional reference for that fixed object, then treat the player position as a 32-Bit value by using that fixed object as a reference.

So if I'm understanding nothing is stored as an actual thing that exists in a particular place? You just work out if a) thing is here and b) player is this far away from thing then a) and b) means c) then render c). And that's why bits of geometry jitter around? Sounds massively complicated and hacky if I'm right.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its hilarious because what they delivered for 2.0 wasn't anywhere near what they promise for 2.0

its like saying on your birthday you are going to get lots of presents to unwrap

and on your birthday there are like 30 wrapped presents, but only 2 of them actually have anything in them

thats what they just did with 2.0

they said 2.0 will be X, then the gave you X minus 5, and said that was actually X

and the citizens are loving it

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

D_Smart posted:

You know that a bunch of games, including mine, did that, like over a decade ago, right?

That's not the point. SC has gone from having nothing to having something; something that even looks like it has potential.

They're still a far cry from having realistic prospects of making it a success, or even just digging themselves out of the feature obligation hole they're in, but because the expectation bar for this release was so low, it really is impressive.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Eonwe posted:

its hilarious because what they delivered for 2.0 wasn't anywhere near what they promise for 2.0

its like saying on your birthday you are going to get lots of presents to unwrap

and on your birthday there are like 30 wrapped presents, but only 2 of them actually have anything in them

they said 2.0 will be X, then the gave you X minus 5, and said that was actually X

What did they promise that isn't there, exactly?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

What did they promise that isn't there, exactly?

shut up octopode

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Any reports of multicrew actually working yet?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
CI "nobody will call us out when we move the goal posts because we are a cult" G

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

please dont start being positive about this game again because all thats going to happen is you are going to have to get another loving refund

just let the game crash and burn like it always was going to do, don't prop it up for longer

Zero chance of me putting money back in, but this has been so entertaining, just watching the drama I certainly don't mind it going on longer. I might get to see that SQ42 movie someday.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I bet when they go 64 bit it's all incompatible and they have to start from scratch. Chris will have to hire a random studio for the making GBS threads module to have someone to blame/fire.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that glitchy laggy piece of poo poo looks so good im glad I spent $1000 plus on it

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eonwe posted:

It's also less lovely than I was expecting. It's unstable as hell and there's nothing to do but the core concepts of get missions, fly to places, blow poo poo up, land ship, shoot people are there.

I don't see how it's going to be any more interesting than E:D space trucking simulator, but I'm more confident about an actual game getting released in the next 12-18 months.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

that glitchy laggy piece of poo poo looks so good im glad I spent $1000 plus on it

said a star citizen, lovingly caressing his concierge card that cost him $10

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Berious posted:

I bet when they go 64 bit it's all incompatible and they have to start from scratch. Chris will have to hire a random studio for the making GBS threads module to have someone to blame/fire.

They're already 64-bit, killer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

It's also less lovely than I was expecting. It's unstable as hell and there's nothing to do but the core concepts of get missions, fly to places, blow poo poo up, land ship, shoot people are there.

I don't see how it's going to be any more interesting than E:D space trucking simulator, but I'm more confident about an actual game getting released in the next 12-18 months.

it is slightly less lovely than I was expecting, but at the same time, its not persistent in any way and the actual "go fly out in space" isn't there

its more like, fly around near a space station that spazzes out really badly

imagine what it would be like if it were anything near as big as any space sim pretty much ever, it would be a loving abortion

has anyone actually even seen an FPS gameplay yet, have they managed to make crosshairs work in an engine that supports them literally right out of the box

have they made it so that any of those modules can truly talk to each other in any meaningful way

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Octopode posted:

shut up octopode

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Eonwe posted:

CI "nobody will call us out when we move the goal posts because we are a cult" G

All I want is a game that's just barely playable enough so I can use the myriad of exploits to grief RP tards until they mess themselves. What I'm seeing gives hope that my expectations will be met.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i guess im asking, have they done any of the actual hard work, or have they just spent $90 million making a less compelling and glitchier version of Elite dangerous without the scale of Elite Dangerous

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheShazbot posted:

shut up octopode

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

i guess im asking, have they done any of the actual hard work, or have they just spent $90 million making a less compelling and glitchier version of Elite dangerous without the scale of Elite Dangerous

also it costs way more than elite dangerous too

and it doesn't even really look better

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

yes

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i liked the thread better when you guys poo poo the thread up yourselves

dont make me have to poo poo the thread up about how obviously bad this turd is

don't loving convince some idiot goon to drop a penny on this please

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

Just because it appears there is some content and if the crashing issue has been solved that doesn't mean the thread is going to switch to going all super positive. Being pissed they did something right is as bad as refusing to see them do anything wrong.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Just because it appears there is some content and if the crashing issue has been solved that doesn't mean the thread is going to switch to going all super positive. Being pissed they did something right is as bad as refusing to see them do anything wrong.

what did they do right

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also who is mad about them doing anything

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Danknificent posted:

That's not the point. SC has gone from having nothing to having something; something that even looks like it has potential.

They're still a far cry from having realistic prospects of making it a success, or even just digging themselves out of the feature obligation hole they're in, but because the expectation bar for this release was so low, it really is impressive.

OK yeah, point made. And I agree.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Eonwe posted:

i liked the thread better when you guys poo poo the thread up yourselves

dont make me have to poo poo the thread up about how obviously bad this turd is

don't loving convince some idiot goon to drop a penny on this please

too late, already spent my paycheck on cocaine

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Eonwe posted:

it is slightly less lovely than I was expecting, but at the same time, its not persistent in any way and the actual "go fly out in space" isn't there

imagine what it would be like if it were anything near as big as any space sim pretty much ever, it would be a loving abortion

has anyone actually even seen an FPS gameplay yet, have they managed to make crosshairs work in an engine that supports them literally right out of the box

have they made it so that any of those modules can truly talk to each other in any meaningful way

If you had actually watched the stream posted earlier, you would have seen a non-spazzing space station, flying around in a few million km of space, FPS gameplay, seamless transition from space shooter to EVA to ground, etc.

Basically, your narrative isn't holding up in the face of actual evidence.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Chalks posted:

ED has the unfortunate handicap of existing so people can judge it on it's actual gameplay. Whereas SC will always be perfect

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

If you had actually watched the stream posted earlier, you would have seen a non-spazzing space station, flying around in a few million km of space, FPS gameplay, seamless transition from space shooter to EVA to ground, etc.

Basically, your narrative isn't holding up in the face of actual evidence.

shut up octopode

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

No. That's actually up for debate now actually.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

No, they haven't.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

No. That's actually up for debate now actually.

the correct response to octopode is never not

shut up octopode

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Looks like a fun game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

what did they do right

I'm going to start making fun of you Eonwe.

Are you seriously getting mad because it looks like they stopped it crashing? We haven't seen the player cap limit or any of a thousand other hurdles they have to jump.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Are you seriously getting mad because it looks like they stopped it crashing? We haven't seen the player cap limit or any of a thousand other hurdles they have to jump.

1. i dont care who you make fun of
2. what part of any of my posts implies im mad about anything

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AP posted:

Do NOT make fun of the Chief Justice of Imp Zone.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Eonwe posted:

shut up octopode

:gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eonwe posted:

It's all janky as gently caress, but when you say "go fly out in space" - their loving universe is like 100 stars in size. There's not a whole lot of space to go fly in. Seems like flying between stars is a fancy looking loading screen as your ship jumps between dogfighting instances.

I've seen some FPS footage. it looks pretty bland but not as bad as some shooters due to the high quality of the models everywhere. If only they could get everything to stop glitching the gently caress out when ever anything happens it would be a mid quality shooter I guess.

In terms of persistence, you have missions and they seem to keep track of themselves despite crashes so that seems like some persistence. I'm not sure if character levelling is a thing or if you just get money as rewards or what, but I imagine that persists too. I honestly don't think the persistence side of things will be anything more than that. Buy some ships and items and I assume they'll persist too.

It's really nothing ground breaking, but it can certainly be described as functional at this point I think.

I'm interested in knowing how long before enough of the shine has worn off that people who have invested $35,000 to play Elite Dangerous and a 2nd rate CoD might start to doubt their decision though.

• Locked thread