Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

With any Eonwe of equal or greater value.

what a deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
The next phase of invites just went out (incoming server full messages). In the chat, CIG is saying things will be up and down over the weekend as they patch and work on the server.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Believing that cig can do nothing right is just as funny as believing they can do nothing wrong

Enowe pls calm down everything will be fine inshallah

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Believing that cig can do nothing right is just as funny as believing they can do nothing wrong

Enowe pls calm down everything will be fine inshallah

im not mad, friend

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
alternatively, im furious

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

It's all janky as gently caress, but when you say "go fly out in space" - their loving universe is like 100 stars in size. There's not a whole lot of space to go fly in. Seems like flying between stars is a fancy looking loading screen as your ship jumps between dogfighting instances.

I've seen some FPS footage. it looks pretty bland but not as bad as some shooters due to the high quality of the models everywhere. If only they could get everything to stop glitching the gently caress out when ever anything happens it would be a mid quality shooter I guess.

In terms of persistence, you have missions and they seem to keep track of themselves despite crashes so that seems like some persistence. I'm not sure if character levelling is a thing or if you just get money as rewards or what, but I imagine that persists too. I honestly don't think the persistence side of things will be anything more than that. Buy some ships and items and I assume they'll persist too.

It's really nothing ground breaking, but it can certainly be described as functional at this point I think.

I'm interested in knowing how long before enough of the shine has worn off that people who have invested $35,000 to play Elite Dangerous and a 2nd rate CoD might start to doubt their decision though.

This is the problem. The whole "game" is one big picture that Chris promised. What we're seeing in this PTU 2.0 is just a fraction of that. And anyone who thinks that this "game" is seeing the light of day in 2016, is still delusional. That's precisely why they're pushing SQ42 (for which there still exists NO gameplay footage other than a walk through) so hard right now because that's supposed to be the next cash cow. At least for anyone not already in the 700K+ count.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

im actually impressed how smoothly this hack is running. there might be a game somewhere once this thing collapses, like the most enthusiastic star citizen will continue modding it once it collapses. But until then CIG will continue being the duke nukem of industry.

:ssh: its still a hack that will continue having myriad of problems. You cant add player count since this is almost certainly running with 2x32 bit int base. The multicrew is going out of sync because its messing the calculations of that 32 bit universe space (its most likely reading passenger data as pilot data). And fps will be boring since its not the thing showcased at gamescon (2014). And theres also missing ships that will be bringing even more bugs into system.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 21, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Danknificent posted:

This seemingly innocuous sentence could be the most important thing to remember about this whole business.

Even if the stars align and the game gets finished in a polished, stable, and more or less complete state - it literally cannot live up to these absurdly inflated expectations, and it is impossible to balance in any case.

Even if things go badly for CIG, they can theoretically drag this out for a very long time -- they have a huge platform for monetization, and they can also strategically downsize over time to make the ride as long as possible, but faith is the gas in the tank. One of the few things that could truly capsize them would be a massive rupture in the following - which could be caused by patience running out, or the realization that the game isn't going to deliver the magic they all signed up for. One way or another, that day is coming, and 2.0 might actually speed it up.

We know the game can't deliver a four or five digit experience; I'm sure CIG knows that as well. When the citizens know it, that's when things get interesting.

That's what makes this impressive 2.0 release so deceptively dangerous for CIG. Now citizens are exposed to something that's only existed in their heads up to this point, and after the initial starry eyed wonder, the reality inevitably falls short of the fantasy. Star Citizen might have been more viable as a delusion. For a while the faithful can comfort themselves that the real version 5 years from now will offer them more - but Mr. Smart's efforts have already planted the seeds of doubt.

Over the next few weeks they're going to be having a serious expectations/reality meme type of experience.

^this

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DreadLlama posted:

We see X. Also, Dr. Smart asserts that if they used the 32/32 hack, we would see X.

Could the hack cause any other issues which we have not (yet) seen? A model is much more compelling if it has predictive power. Ie, "In addition to the jankiness at large distances away from points of interest, we should also observe Y behaviour under Q circumstances."

Ask yourself this. How many other players have you seen in ANY 2.0 stream doing stuff that, you know, a "team" of players would do. There's your answer.

Right now, 2.0 is more of a solo experience than anything. By year end, it's still going to be in the same state as AC 1.0x.

They have a LONG way to go and 2016 is already clean out the window.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Games you could play instead of this

Huniepop
Fallout 4
Tabletop simulator
Binding of Isaac

Lots of other ones

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I dont know anything about making games or programming so ill just say this:

Spaghetti code

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

Of course, in the new build, the things Smart claimed were caused by the hack are no longer present. A more plausible explanation than a giant lie was a bug with the local physics grid code, which would have also caused many of the other bugs that were observed, i.e., the launching of multi crew players out of the ship and the objects spontaneously tipping over. It could easily cause the same jittering of objects Smart blamed on spatial imprecision.

OK now you're just flat out lying because I've watched several streams today, and the jittering is STILL noticeable in it.

Also, now that the streamers know about it, they are probably avoiding anything (e.g. going to far away) that will result in that, a crash or whatever.

Nice try though.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Dark Off posted:

:ssh: its still a hack that will continue having myriad of problems. You cant add player count since this is almost certainly running with 2x32 bit string base. The multicrew is going out of sync because its messing the calculations of that 32 bit universe space (its most likely reading passenger data as pilot data).

You know everything you've said right here is gibberish, right?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

Same

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean about my posts

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

1500 posted:

Its not like I really care, and very much doubt she would, I was just answering a question on why she has made a drastic change in the display of her marriage.

I do find it funny that as an actress she is unable to hid her 14 year old girl crush, while on camera, makes you wonder why anyone would give her a call back, let alone a job. Then she yet again overcompensates when someone points it out (I was not the only one that committed), much like her hating black people. It just goes to show that she is reading this forum and is horrible at her job.
I watched the livestream and didn't really see her acting like a smitten schoolgirl, though I wasn't really looking for that. It's not like that's the first time she's acted coquettishly on camera- she's done that since the early Wingman days and it doesn't really mean anything.

Anyway, it's not a new phenomenon, nor especially funny. To me, the real humor in that moment with her new French subordinate was that she kept talking in French when he was talking in English.

I was laughing out loud because it's funny to me that she prioritized letting the viewers know she spoke passable French even after he had the good grace to recognize the audience was mostly English speaking and he probably should opt for their native tongue so the viewers didn't wonder, "Wait, does this guy even speak English?" That was classic Sandi.

She did further "I speak French" non-sequitur bragging again on "Reverse the Verse" today, co-opting a show ostensibly dedicated to answering questions about Star Citizen to continue her proxy war of words with Derek Smart about the incredibly important matter of the origins and depth of her French-speaking skills. And to compound that humor, she started explaining that when she conducted a recent interview in French, the interviewer started asking her about Star Citizen's Market Demographics and she said, "I don't even know how to explain that in English!"

But she's the bloody VP of Marketing, she has degrees in Marketing and Business Development, right? So in the course of co-opting the Star Citizen community Q&A show in order to burnish her French-speaking bona-fides so she can disprove Derek Smart's libelous accusation that she's learning French via some Facebook club, she ended up once again gently reinforcing his more damning accusations about her lack of Marketing bona-fides.

That, to me, is the height of Sandi hilarity-- it's subtle sometimes, but funnier on a richer, deeper level than some random blushing in the presence of some French bloke.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dark Off posted:

im actually impressed how smoothly this hack is running. there might be a game somewhere once this thing collapses, like the most enthusiastic star citizen will continue modding it once it collapses. But until then CIG will continue being the duke nukem of industry.

:ssh: its still a hack that will continue having myriad of problems. You cant add player count since this is almost certainly running with 2x32 bit string base. The multicrew is going out of sync because its messing the calculations of that 32 bit universe space (its most likely reading passenger data as pilot data). And fps will be boring since its not the thing showcased at gamescon (2014). And theres also missing ships that will be bringing even more bugs into system.

Octopode posted:

I get what he's trying to say, and he's partially right. The multi-crew is not working properly because it has an underlying positioning problem. And if they don't fix that, imagine the problems that's going to cause with the larger ships owned by dweebs who want more than 4 people in it.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

OK now you're just flat out lying because I've watched several streams today, and the jittering is STILL noticeable in it.

Also, now that the streamers know about it, they are probably avoiding anything (e.g. going to far away) that will result in that, a crash or whatever.

Nice try though.

I don't think you've watched any since the 2.0a patch, then.

Also, you claimed that the bug was worsened due to distance from a position reference object, so your theory that they're getting further away from objects to hide it makes no sense.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Octopode posted:

Shut up Octopode.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FrankieGoes posted:

Shut up Octopode.

:agreed:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

D_Smart posted:

You know that a bunch of games, including mine, did that, like over a decade ago, right?

he jelly

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

its like saying on your birthday you are going to get lots of presents to unwrap

"You are going to get Devastator Transformer, yes the Constructions! It's in that box right there"
"Hooray, its a GoBot! OH MY GOD WHAT YOU ALWAYS WANTED".

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

"You are going to get Devastator Transformer, yes the Constructions! It's in that box right there"
"Hooray, its a GoBot! OH MY GOD WHAT YOU ALWAYS WANTED".

god drat gobots

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dark Off posted:

im actually impressed how smoothly this hack is running.

I've seen this sentiment mentioned a few times and I have to ask, why is anyone impressed? Correct me if I missed something but the game is still a buggy mess that only occasionally runs semi smoothly right? Don't forget, the number of people playing 2.0 is currently very restricted (1000 people, right?). Is the low number of people playing the reason some of these 2.0 streams are running relatively smooth? Would the game become unplayable if more people were playing it?

Put another way, would any of this have been considered impressive or even decent if we didn't have the context of all the mishandling and incompetence that preceded it?

Also:

Danknificent posted:

This seemingly innocuous sentence could be the most important thing to remember about this whole business.

Even if the stars align and the game gets finished in a polished, stable, and more or less complete state - it literally cannot live up to these absurdly inflated expectations, and it is impossible to balance in any case.

Even if things go badly for CIG, they can theoretically drag this out for a very long time -- they have a huge platform for monetization, and they can also strategically downsize over time to make the ride as long as possible, but faith is the gas in the tank. One of the few things that could truly capsize them would be a massive rupture in the following - which could be caused by patience running out, or the realization that the game isn't going to deliver the magic they all signed up for. One way or another, that day is coming, and 2.0 might actually speed it up.

We know the game can't deliver a four or five digit experience; I'm sure CIG knows that as well. When the citizens know it, that's when things get interesting.

That's what makes this impressive 2.0 release so deceptively dangerous for CIG. Now citizens are exposed to something that's only existed in their heads up to this point, and after the initial starry eyed wonder, the reality inevitably falls short of the fantasy. Star Citizen might have been more viable as a delusion. For a while the faithful can comfort themselves that the real version 5 years from now will offer them more - but Mr. Smart's efforts have already planted the seeds of doubt.

Over the next few weeks they're going to be having a serious expectations/reality meme type of experience.

This is a good post.

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 21, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Put another way, would any of this have been condidered impressive or even decent if we didn't have the context of all the mishandling and incompetence that preceded it?

knowing star citizens, they probably would

but good point agreed

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

I watched the livestream and didn't really see her acting like a smitten schoolgirl, though I wasn't really looking for that. It's not like that's the first time she's acted coquettishly on camera- she's done that since the early Wingman days and it doesn't really mean anything.

Anyway, it's not a new phenomenon, nor especially funny. To me, the real humor in that moment with her new French subordinate was that she kept talking in French when he was talking in English.

I was laughing out loud because it's funny to me that she prioritized letting the viewers know she spoke passable French even after he had the good grace to recognize the audience was mostly English speaking and he probably should opt for their native tongue so the viewers didn't wonder, "Wait, does this guy even speak English?" That was classic Sandi.

She did further "I speak French" non-sequitur bragging again on "Reverse the Verse" today, co-opting a show ostensibly dedicated to answering questions about Star Citizen to continue her proxy war of words with Derek Smart about the incredibly important matter of the origins and depth of her French-speaking skills. And to compound that humor, she started explaining that when she conducted a recent interview in French, the interviewer started asking her about Star Citizen's Market Demographics and she said, "I don't even know how to explain that in English!"

But she's the bloody VP of Marketing, she has degrees in Marketing and Business Development, right? So in the course of co-opting the Star Citizen community Q&A show in order to burnish her French-speaking bona-fides so she can disprove Derek Smart's libelous accusation that she's learning French via some Facebook club, she ended up once again gently reinforcing his more damning accusations about her lack of Marketing bona-fides.

That, to me, is the height of Sandi hilarity-- it's subtle sometimes, but funnier on a richer, deeper level than some random blushing in the presence of some French bloke.

She's an unrepentant fool.

The fact that everything I say gets to her and she has this burning desire to address it - on company/product time - speaks volumes to her completely unprofessional conduct. She has never - ever - worked in any professional environment. So she has no clue how that actually works.

She speaks as much French as my next door neighbor speaks German. He's Hispanic.

Once again, she is not fluent in French, German or any other language other than English. It is a verifiable fact that as recently as this month, she was at a French "class". Not a French "book club".

She can take what I just stated right here and sue (or counter-sue depending how things go in the coming weeks) me. Then she gets to prove it and then find out that the truth is 100% defense against defamation.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

The biggest giveaway is how she deliberately drops in French phrases. People who are actually bi-lingual don't do that, and are the least impressed by other people who speak more than one language.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The best part of this thread is Octopode going full smug because 2.0 isn't a complete disaster.

Star Citizen: Be proud of our mediocrity.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Omi-Polari posted:

The biggest giveaway is how she deliberately drops in French phrases. People who are actually bi-lingual don't do that, and are the least impressed by other people who speak more than one language.

she is the peggy hill of french

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cmWlZXSH44

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

The best part of this thread is Octopode going full smug because 2.0 isn't a complete disaster.

Yeah, they're -real- tight on the server stability right now. They just sent out 5,000 more invites and it basically was down for 40 minutes with the shard servers disconnecting constantly. It just got stable(ish) again. This guy has a pretty nice stream: http://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

A lot of the ships still have issues and cause desyncs. There's a lot of work ahead of them.

Edit: Right as I finish typing that, he gets disconnected again :)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Omi-Polari posted:

Well yeah you say that but I've heard otherwise so we may have to agree to disagree on this, amigo...

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

OhDearGodNo posted:

hey man, they've managed to release a patch that lets an alpha of the game be played for more than 4 literal minutes without crashing

if that isn't cause for severe smugness after multiple years of development work on an off-the-shelf engine I don't know what is

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You have to admit though, it's a brilliant get out of bed simulator.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Loxbourne posted:

I saw this a while back. Is there a story here? Was WC3 or WC4 a budget disaster?

They all were, because CR is pathologically incapable of staying on budget or on schedule. The 400% was from (I think) WC1, which was originally budgeted at something in the $200k region and ended up costing just north of $1M.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

Yeah, they're -real- tight on the server stability right now. They just sent out 5,000 more invites and it basically was down for 40 minutes with the shard servers disconnecting constantly. It just got stable(ish) again. This guy has a pretty nice stream: http://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

A lot of the ships still have issues and cause desyncs. There's a lot of work ahead of them.

Edit: Right as I finish typing that, he gets disconnected again :)

Yup. Meanwhile: Octopode

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

^ This. And so beautifully put :)

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It's like if everyday you sent your not-very-bright little brother to the store with $1 to bring back some gum. Day after day, week after week, month after month, he comes back empty-handed. No money, no gum, no explanations; just a big dumb smile.

Then one day, it happens. He comes back home with a handful of Bazooka gum that looks like it's been sitting in the sun since 1997. It's not even pink anymore, there's no flavor to it, and it chips two of your teeth the instant you bite down on it.

But he did it. He finally did it. He brought home some gum and he's just beaming like he won a Nobel Prize.

The 2.0 Experience, everyone.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

She's an unrepentant fool.

The fact that everything I say gets to her and she has this burning desire to address it - on company/product time - speaks volumes to her completely unprofessional conduct. She has never - ever - worked in any professional environment. So she has no clue how that actually works.

She speaks as much French as my next door neighbor speaks German. He's Hispanic.

Once again, she is not fluent in French, German or any other language other than English. It is a verifiable fact that as recently as this month, she was at a French "class". Not a French "book club".

She can take what I just stated right here and sue (or counter-sue depending how things go in the coming weeks) me. Then she gets to prove it and then find out that the truth is 100% defense against defamation.

Or she could not, because we know who the real empty threat master is here. And holy poo poo would that be a dumb thing to sue for, and would bog down our already awful legal system.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Or Paulie Walnuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh7RFke4uU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Smart says 32/32. Octopode says something about a bug that's being actively worked out. I am uncertain how he expects that this work is being disseminated as there hasn't been any patches. And as Smart points out, it's more plausible that the decreasing frequency of crashes is attributable to player behaviour rather than work being done by CIG.

Unless there's something else explicable by Octopode's model but not Smart's, I'd be inclined to take his story over the other guys.

• Locked thread