Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

skaboomizzy posted:

It's like if everyday you sent your not-very-bright little brother to the store with $1 to bring back some gum. Day after day, week after week, month after month, he comes back empty-handed. No money, no gum, no explanations; just a big dumb smile.

Then one day, it happens. He comes back home with a handful of Bazooka gum that looks like it's been sitting in the sun since 1997. It's not even pink anymore, there's no flavor to it, and it chips two of your teeth the instant you bite down on it.

But he did it. He finally did it. He brought home some gum and he's just beaming like he won a Nobel Prize.

The 2.0 Experience, everyone.

Ahahahaha

That's really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

The best part of this thread is Octopode going full smug because 2.0 isn't a complete disaster.

Well its more a case of "reality support the argument I want to make" kind of thing, which works for a while because these are consensus arguments (whether you think a game is good or bad) masquerading as factual arguments (whether the game does what it claims) during an open-ended period of waiting for a concrete milestone.

To call this PTU a "milestone" for a game aspiring to be a technical breakthrough in MMO's is hilarious but it will keep loonies like Octopode going for a while. That's really the only survival strategy that will work for CIG, string these guys along with something every few months.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They could sell concierge trench coats and star citizen concierge flavored pocky and make bank

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

DreadLlama posted:

Smart says 32/32. Octopode says something about a bug that's being actively worked out. I am uncertain how he expects that this work is being disseminated as there hasn't been any patches. And as Smart points out, it's more plausible that the decreasing frequency of crashes is attributable to player behaviour rather than work being done by CIG.

Unless there's something else explicable by Octopode's model but not Smart's, I'd be inclined to take his story over the other guys.

They released a patch today, that's why the game is actually playable for more than five minutes at a time now.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Octopode posted:

They released a patch today, that's why the game is actually playable for more than five minutes at a time now.

More than five minutes you say? wow!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

CrazyTolradi posted:

So in addition to her other three degrees in marketing and business, she has either another one in science and a diploma of education or another degree in education (specializing in teaching science)? Because no Australian high school would have taken her on as a science teacher with only marketing/business qualifications.

I was a substitute TA for prefirst and first in America without qualifications. (I was still in college) In practice, this meant I was the sole teacher for 23 four and five year olds for several months.

Yes, it was terrifying.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Now now Star Citizen is finally out and good I am swapping sides again and am now on Team Roberts

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

And what a 6 minutes they are too!
So good, what a game, you did it Chris, you did it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's not as stable as a fallout game

Lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In space there are spacemen, spaceships and spacestations, right now, in the retail game Star Citizen

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I won a jigsaw of two cats tonight at a charity comedy event

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

I won a jigsaw of two cats tonight at a charity comedy event

Pics

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

On it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

It's a framed jigsaw :psyduck:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

amazing <3

e: also pgabz share with me the secret of French house purchasing so I can set up a B&B farmhouse for climbers in Milly la Foret, tia

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 21, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

Now now Star Citizen is finally out and good I am swapping sides again and am now on Team Roberts
Dammit man, you're better than that!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Dawww

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

happyhippy posted:

"You are going to get Devastator Transformer, yes the Constructions! It's in that box right there"
"Hooray, its a GoBot! OH MY GOD WHAT YOU ALWAYS WANTED".

It's okay. You can get the version you always dreamed of. It's for sale right now. Go on. It's safe.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I feel blessed by my new jigsaw and the computer Sci Fi game Star Citizen, I am a lucky guy

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

Dammit man, you're better than that!

But it is so good, it's using CryEngine from top shooter game Cry Game 5

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

un encadrée puzzle de chat, as Sandi might say

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

xiansi posted:

un encadrée puzzle de chat, as Sandi might say

No she would say something more like "FOFF EE FFFFO! zoot alors! ze cats in ze puzzle zis iz gud ya!"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Then roar off on her push bike

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'd hate to be "thatguy" :gary: but I haven't read this in like 200 pages and only briefly heard about Bootcha getting his money out, can anyone give me a nice summary of what has happened the past few weeks? Did Derek ever do anything funny?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

2.0 came out and saved Star Citizen, everyone here is buying back in.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Everything Derek does is funny

e: I might love him a little bit. Like a fun uncle, who you don't mind getting a bit handsy every now and again

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

thatguy posted:

I'd hate to be "thatguy" :gary: but I haven't read this in like 200 pages and only briefly heard about Bootcha getting his money out, can anyone give me a nice summary of what has happened the past few weeks? Did Derek ever do anything funny?
No, and you made the right choice.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

G0RF posted:

I watched the livestream and didn't really see her acting like a smitten schoolgirl, though I wasn't really looking for that. It's not like that's the first time she's acted coquettishly on camera- she's done that since the early Wingman days and it doesn't really mean anything.

I loving love eating those.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

thatguy posted:

Derek got into a knife fight with Octobro on a small stone bridge, and won.

Loiosh stayed reasonable.

CIG released a new solitaire mini game and a line of in-game hats for around $5 apiece.

Lesnick announced that he's part timing as a life guard under the Santa Monica Pier.

It turns out that Sandi not only really does have a marketing degree, but is also fluent in Spanish.

Star Citizen has a release date (Nov 2016)

Gary Oldman gave an interview, expressing his dissatisfaction with Chris' directorial skills.

A few other things. Nothing too important.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I guess from Sandi's IMDB page, this is the film she got the part for?

quote:

James, a veteran who has lived mostly in isolation for 2 years, except for his weekly baseball coaching job, starts receiving a free trial from a local newspaper, and notices that his horoscopes keep coming true. He soon begins a relationship with the newspaper delivery girl, Faith, the two of them falling in love. But before long, James becomes too engrossed by living by his daily horoscope, which wears on his relationship with Faith. He meets the writer of the horoscopes, a cult leader named Holly Adams, devoting himself to her as a disciple, as the world around him begins to crumble.

It's amazing to think how she's going to fit in her acting job with being the marketing director of a $95m game, as well as take part in the RTV/ATV/etc shows.

I also found this hilarious on her bio page:

quote:

- IMDb Mini Biography By: Sandi Gardiner

Are you meant to write your own biogs?

e: I see movie page was last updated in June, so this is probably not the movie she was talking about.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 21, 2015

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

No she would say something more like "FOFF EE FFFFO! zoot alors! ze cats in ze puzzle zis iz gud ya!"

puzzle chat über alles!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

Well its more a case of "reality support the argument I want to make" kind of thing, which works for a while because these are consensus arguments (whether you think a game is good or bad) masquerading as factual arguments (whether the game does what it claims) during an open-ended period of waiting for a concrete milestone.

To call this PTU a "milestone" for a game aspiring to be a technical breakthrough in MMO's is hilarious but it will keep loonies like Octopode going for a while. That's really the only survival strategy that will work for CIG, string these guys along with something every few months.

^this

And that "stringing" along, is what they've effectively been doing for three years. Now it's all but worn off; they know they just can't keep up the "JPEG burning charade" for much longer - especially with that loon Derek Smart on their case non-stop. And that's why they keep doing the "Oh look!! It's Gary Oldman! No it's Mark Hamill" with segue to them actually pushing SQ42 harder than they're pushing the loving game that people currently have in-hand.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

Yeah, I did a delta compare earlier. Nothing tangible there tbh. Looks like they fixed some memory issues and few crashes. My guess is that, given how development goes, this was already in the works but was in internal testing so they could roll in whatever else came up within the first 24hrs before they roll out what they have. We do this all the time as well. Common practice. e.g. we have two internal builds for Line Of Defense not yet released to the public.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Danknificent posted:

Derek got into a knife fight with Octobro on a small stone bridge, and won.

Loiosh stayed reasonable.

CIG released a new solitaire mini game and a line of in-game hats for around $5 apiece.

Lesnick announced that he's part timing as a life guard under the Santa Monica Pier.

It turns out that Sandi not only really does have a marketing degree, but is also fluent in Spanish.

Star Citizen has a release date (Nov 2016)

Gary Oldman gave an interview, expressing his dissatisfaction with Chris' directorial skills.

A few other things. Nothing too important.

That was Mark Hamil, not Gary Oldman.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Octopode posted:

I was unaware of a patch. This indicates that your claim may in fact not be incorrect. But on the other hand,

trucutru posted:

I'm curious. Are there any promises you don't feel Chris Roberts has lived up to completely?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

heh yeah. But I think he's being silly.

I've been running it for longer than 5 mins and it's a LOT more stable than yesterday's build.

The jittering is still there and it's horrendous. I think people have caught on to the idea that once you see jittering, expect a crash shortly after. So they're just sticking to nearby objects. I've been going out very far.

I was planning to stream it, or do a movie capture, but it will cause them to identify the account that I am using, and then Sandi will ask them to terminate it. Those bastards.

Make no mistake, this is NOT a $95m product atm. Not by any stretch.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MY IMMERSION posted:

Million Mile High Club Feedback

Sorry Mark, Although it does look a lovely showpiece, I feel it falls short in realistic terms.

The wooden floor is predominantly wrong IMO. Much of the time I go out I wear stiletto heels and such a floor is honestly one of those things I avoid as they are difficult enough to navigate sober, let alone after a few. And then add the unavoidable spill of drinks and it becomes an ice rink.

Take any bar, pub or club today and the upmarket ones are carpeted while the lesser so are not. Take how uncomfortable high heels can be and that you tend to slip them off but onto a hard floor?... No thanks, I'm sure Sandi will concur.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

heh yeah. But I think he's being silly.

I've been running it for longer than 5 mins and it's a LOT more stable than yesterday's build.

The jittering is still there and it's horrendous. I think people have caught on to the idea that once you see jittering, expect a crash shortly after. So they're just sticking to nearby objects. I've been going out very far.

I was planning to stream it, or do a movie capture, but it will cause them to identify the account that I am using, and then Sandi will ask them to terminate it. Those bastards.

Make no mistake, this is NOT a $95m product atm. Not by any stretch.

You aren't playing it, no wayyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm impressed by the progress they've made and think that should funding hold up and as long as SC backers don't chase away potential new customers by assuming people posting innocent questions are trolls, then by the year's end they will have a game at least half as complete as Elite Dangerous.

namaste friends

also, shut up octopode

• Locked thread