Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

not anything specific, just you know

in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

thatguy posted:

I'd hate to be "thatguy" :gary: but I haven't read this in like 200 pages and only briefly heard about Bootcha getting his money out, can anyone give me a nice summary of what has happened the past few weeks? Did Derek ever do anything funny?

Star Citizen 2.0 was released yesterday amid much fanfare. They made history by being the first game to release 2.0 before they were even finished with 1.0.

A 1000 people got invited to some event featuring Sandi talking French to some German dude. While Chris watched.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

:eyepop:

NotSockAccount
Nov 18, 2015

by Lowtax
So, are you guys hoping that they don't release the game or just release the already crappy looking game?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

You can >> Use a mans rear end if you kill him?
What kind of game is this?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm impressed by the progress they've made and think that should funding hold up and as long as SC backers don't chase away potential new customers by assuming people posting innocent questions are trolls, then by the year's end they will have a game at least half as complete as Elite Dangerous.

LOL!! Also please leave. Like right now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

NotSockAccount posted:

So, are you guys hoping that they don't release the game or just release the already crappy looking game?

Well once they get crosshairs working and polish up a couple of the bugs we've been seeing then of course pop in Mark Hamill I think we're good to go, so I think it's going to be fine

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

NotSockAccount posted:

I think that's the same thing.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

peter gabriel posted:

My kinda game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NotSockAccount posted:

whichever is funnier

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! Also please leave. Like right now.

i'm just being optimistic because this is absolutely, positively not a boondoggle of staggering proportions and that the product being delivered to a select number of high-enthusiasm backers is completely acceptable after four years of development and not, as you might think by looking at it, a completely farcical display of arrogance and incompetent management

I hope one day you too can see the world as a half-full glass, mr. smart

be at peace, friend

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

namaste tx balx

edit: I've been watching the twitters. The vindication tweets are starting to die down. That's a bit sooner than I expected.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Nyeehg posted:

I've seen this sentiment mentioned a few times and I have to ask, why is anyone impressed? Correct me if I missed something but the game is still a buggy mess that only occasionally runs semi smoothly right? Don't forget, the number of people playing 2.0 is currently very restricted (1000 people, right?). Is the low number of people playing the reason some of these 2.0 streams are running relatively smooth? Would the game become unplayable if more people were playing it?

Put another way, would any of this have been considered impressive or even decent if we didn't have the context of all the mishandling and incompetence that preceded it?

your absolutely right its a buggy mess. im impressed on the fact that its not complete disaster yet (i was expecting lot worse).

D_Smart posted:

I get what he's trying to say, and he's partially right. The multi-crew is not working properly because it has an underlying positioning problem. And if they don't fix that, imagine the problems that's going to cause with the larger ships owned by dweebs who want more than 4 people in it.
im thinking using 32 bit int it would be most sensible to make the game like a tree. at its base there's universe location of the ship which is connected to local space location of ship that is connected to pilot position which then forks down to different positions in the ship. Expect since crew is moving inside the ship, the pilot reads forkable locations by proximity.The character positions stops updating once you take a seat inside the ship since you can always determine that data from ship reference points.
The issue with this approach is the fact that your quickly running out of memory as you need to keep track of moving objects inside the ship. while the ship itself is moving and rotating. Also the cpu/gpu strain is immense since you will most likely need to keep track of stuff each fps tick. (quantum drive is a hack to reduce this since universe location tick will only update when you activate that drive). You also need to send these datas back to main server.
Theres also issue of guessing who the pilot of the ship will be (remember you can switch the pilot mid flight and implementing that is pain in the rear end as the pilot is the root for rest of positions inside the ship)
oh and then theres most likely different 32 bit addresses when your moving in the station and outside of it . and most likely your character address gets turned into a ship if you stray too far from the station.

did i get it right derek? And what am I missing out?
Also these are complete guesses since every programmer implements these things differently.
And im not a expert of programming complex stuff

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 21, 2015

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Madcosby posted:

I've said before that game development is like building a skyscraper.

For a few years you have an empty lot, a hole in the ground. Then eventually you have a ground floor. You look at it and say, wtf have they been doing? This is all I have for 3 years? Then 2 weeks later, a 2nd floor, 2 weeks later a 3rd. This continues, and suddenly a year or two after that ground floor you have a 60 story building.

This is an excellent analogy.

In Star Citizen's case, it is like building scale versions of the Ryugyong Hotel. First they start off with a three story model of the Ryugyong Hotel. Then they buy a new plot of land and rebuild it, adding a couple of stories over the previous model. This happens over and over again in the hopes of making a Ryugyong Hotel that is tallest building in the world. It is expected that the completed building will bring glory for Dear Leader and shame to the treacherous, imperialist dogs. But in reality they have built a series of structurally unsound death traps with shiny exteriors.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Derek when are you going to do a livestream or stream an in-game community event for Line of Defence?

You should show everyone how it's really done.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

star citizen my friend

the inevitable consequences of piracy!!!

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Obligatory visit every 1000 posts.

Did you see the game is out? It's good and fun.

Have fun with Derek!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dark Off posted:

im thinking using 32 bit strings

Dark Off posted:

And im not a expert of programming complex stuff

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
haha he cited your lack of experience to explain why you posted something dumb. How does it feel to be Dunning-Kruger personified?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 21, 2015

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Trying to lure more suckers with promises of "5000 free credits" makes Shart Shitizen look like one of those lovely mobile games with names like World of Thronescraft that show up in banner ads on crap gaming blogs.

BobbyBones
Jun 28, 2013

So I got my refund a week or two ago and bought a saxophone with it, but then I got an email inviting me to the baby poo what do I do.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DreadLlama posted:

I was unaware of a patch. This indicates that your claim may in fact not be incorrect. But on the other hand,

I'm curious. Are there any promises you don't feel Chris Roberts has lived up to completely?

There are plenty that I know he has not lived up to. Delivering a complete game in 2014 or 2015 is one of them.

There are plenty of other ones, but that one is kind of a biggie.

But that's like, my opinion, maybe he delivered the game and I somehow slipped into another dimension without it or something.

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002

BobbyBones posted:

So I got my refund a week or two ago and bought a saxophone with it, but then I got an email inviting me to the baby poo what do I do.

Start a sax stream.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BobbyBones posted:

comedy option: sell the credentials on reddit, buyer beware

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Kronok posted:

Start a sax stream.

do it

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

T.G. Xarbala posted:

whichever is funnier

i'm just being optimistic because this is absolutely, positively not a boondoggle of staggering proportions and that the product being delivered to a select number of high-enthusiasm backers is completely acceptable after four years of development and not, as you might think by looking at it, a completely farcical display of arrogance and incompetent management

I hope one day you too can see the world as a half-full glass, mr. smart

be at peace, friend

I'm with you there. I was loling with you :)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

D_Smart posted:

I'm with you there. I was loling with you :)

:shittypop:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

In what world have tabloids suddenly become respectable things to buy and read?

I would have you know all the news I get comes from tabloids. They are a great way to share vital information. People don't pay attention to it but once you know the codes that the nsa can't Crack then your golden and all the real news is displayed in whole.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -
Getting Wulf on stage to flop his cock out for the female backers would have been priceless.....

BobbyBones
Jun 28, 2013

quote:

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 PTU: Crusader Playtest Invite

Greetings everyone, we hope you are having a fantastic week and we have big news for you!

If you are receiving this email, you have been specifically invited to the Public Test Universe (PTU) to playtest Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 which features the very first elements of the Persistent Universe in the form of the gas giant Crusader and surrounding areas. These locations include Port Olisar transit station, Covalex Shipping Hub, Security Post Kareah and many scenic asteroid fields, comms arrays and research satellites that our team has been hard at work on.

This also includes our new Avenger variants, the first iteration on FPS, Multicrew technology, interior physics grid, quantum travel, IFCS, EVA, missions, and so much more. As we want to stress test the new content, we’ve disabled Arena Commander and ArcCorp for the time being.

Yep... this is a pretty awesome time in creating the BDSSE and we’re excited to have you onboard for helping us playtest this with us!!

· You’ll access Crusader on the same console you did for ArcCorp.
· If you load into Arena Commander, you will be stuck on searching for a match screen till the player hits cancel.
· If you load ArcCorp Area 18 you return an error message "All instances are full" and the player won’t get in!

This is the foundation to the Persistent Universe, and we're extremely proud of this major milestone in building the BDSSE!

Star Citizen 2.0 Crusader Full Patch Notes: https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com/comm-link//15042-Star-Citizen-Alpha-200

Star Citizen 2.0 Crusader Issue Council for Player Feedback and Bug Reports: https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com/community/issue-council

PTU Playtest Voice and Text Chat (via Discord):
https://discord.gg/0dOJaNbubQjbqLBJ

Step-by-Step Instructions:

1) Start the Star Citizen Launcher and log in.
2) Click the gear cog on the top right of the Launcher. The Options menu will pop up and you can see that you have PTU access (only selected accounts will have this option).
3) Click Copy Account to enable your account on PTU.
4) Click the PTU tab on the Launcher to start the download.
5) This also sends an email containing a PTU specific password to your registered email address. You do NOT need this to log into the Launcher, but you will need it to log into https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com to provide bug reports and feedback.
6) After launching the game, users now load into the Main Menu rather than going directly to Hangar. You have the option from the menu to “Go to Hangar” and “Electronic Access”.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Each 2.0 zone will allow up to 40 players but only 16 ships.
Remember: You WILL need your special PTU password sent to you in email to access the PTU Issue Council and Patch Notes:

Note: We’re trusting players not to share the Discord invite!

Accessing Star Citizen 2.0 Crusader:

After launching Star Citizen and loading into your hangar, locate the large hangar bay doors (typically located behind where you spawn in; it’s below where you spawn in the case of the Deluxe hangar). Go through the hangar bay doors and locate the elevator. Interact with the panel to select Port Olisar (located in the Crusader system) as your destination and press ‘Launch’.

Terminals on Port Olisar are available courtesy of Crusader Industries, to allow pilots to request flight-ready ships for delivery at one of Port Olisars convenient landing pads.
The ships provided at the terminals will have a default loadout for the ship, and any changes made at the Hangar holotable will NOT be reflected.
Ships requested via the terminal are locked to the person who summoned the ship, for approximately eight minutes, after which they are considered abandoned and can be piloted by anyone. Abandoned ships will eventually despawn.
This is not how the functionality will work long term, and is temporary for the purposes of testing.

There are many locations in the surrounding Crusader space to be discovered and explored, including Covalex Shipping Hub, Cry-Astro Service Station and others.
However not all locations available for exploration are immediately shown in your Quantum Travel navigation points. Try repairing Comm Arrays or roaming the map via Quantum Travel to see what you may find!

Port Olisar is an Armistice Zone. All weapons are disabled while in the zone, and pilots will need to leave the area to settle disputes or seek adventure.

The first iteration on Quantum Travel is now available for testing in Crusader.
It has been activated for all currently flyable ships except the P-52 Merlin, which is a fighter and is not intended to be capable of independent Quantum Travel.
Quantum Travel can be enabled with the "B" key on the keyboard by default. The default keybindings are "Left Tumbler+Left DPad" on the Gamepad, and "Button 12" on the Joystick.
Once enabled, you can rotate your ship until you have a local Navigation Point highlighted. The highlighted navigation point will have a large circle around it in the HUD.
Once you have the Point of Interest highlighted, press the middle mouse button, to enter Quantum Travel to that destination. The default keybinding is "Y" on the Gamepad and "Button 4" on the Joystick.
If an object exists in the path between the ship and the selected destination, the Nav point will warn that the target is "Obstructed".
You cannot eject or self-destruct while in Quantum Travel. This is intended.

Fuel mechanics are also in place.
When you activate Quantum Travel mode, the Nav points will indicate how much fuel it will take to reach that destination, as a % of your remaining fuel.
Quantum Travel will let you transit even if you have insufficient fuel to reach the destination, however it will only take you as far as your fuel allows.
Keep that and the location of the nearest refuel point in mind when planning to Quantum Travel.
Quantum Fuel available is listed in the bottom-right of the center HUD for most ships.

Cry-Astro Service Station 042 provides repair, refuel and restock to ships in Crusader space.
This includes reloading missiles, ballistic ammo and fuel for Quantum drives.

Weapons, Ammo and MediPens for healing needs are also available to be found on some stations, including the Behring P4-AR.

Pirates have been known to roam and harass honest citizens exploring Crusader space. Wise pilots should be on their guard.

Approaching the atmosphere of a planet too closely will result in your ship receiving a warning, and if you continue flying toward it for too long, your ship will begin to rattle apart and be destroyed.
This is not how the functionality will work long term, and is temporary for the purposes of testing.

MobiGlas is now active, and can be accessed via "F9" hotkey.
The only applications currently usable are the Scheduler and Journal, which allow you to read and view the status of Missions as you receive them during gameplay.
This can be accessed all around the planetary zone, in EVA, and while in a space craft.
Viewing the MobiGlas UI while on-ship dims both the ship UI and visor to allow the MobiGlas UI to be visible.

Our first set of missions are now available around Crusader for players to test!
The first one is to repair the Comms Arrays in orbit around Crusader, which will allow other missions to be discovered.
You can track missions via the MobiGlas Journal application, by clicking on the yellow hexagon icon next to the entry for that mission.
Missions are generated and offered at-random, and some are much rarer then others.

We sincerely thank you for your participation and hope to see you in the (PT)’Verse!

-WL
The Cloud Imperium Games Team

I'm still not sure why they sent me this, that patrick guy was pretty adamant that they delete my account as part of the refund process, and I don't think I've ever put in a bug report or anything that would make them pick me over all these reddit guys

my new lovely chinese saxophone is pretty cool though

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002

Kronok posted:

Start a sax stream.

or stream star citizen and whenever someone follows/subscribes, take your hands off the keyboard and mouse, get your sax out and play the dumbest thing you can.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

i meant 32 bit int thanks for correcting that

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

trucutru posted:

But that's like, my opinion, maybe he delivered the game and I somehow slipped into another dimension without it or something.
This is actually a valid point.

According to the multi-worlds theory, somewhere in the multiverse Chris Roberts has released Star Citizen on time and saved PC gaming. In fact as you all know, in an infinite multiverse events don't happen just once, but an infinite number of times. That means Chris Roberts has released Star Citizen on time and saved PC gaming an infinite number of times!

Eat that, detractors! :smug:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

star citizen my friend

the inevitable consequences of piracy!!!

Croberts has truly saved PC gaming.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds to me like Star Citizen 3.0 should include some planetary shenanigans (or a straight integration with Moonbase Alpha) to round off the perfect game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Roberts should have just bought Kerbal Space program with the money and then just modded Star Citizen poo poo into it..

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dark Off posted:

i meant 32 bit int thanks for correcting that

S'all good baby, just havin' fun with ya.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I downloaded the PTU. First attempt I crashed when loading into the map. Second attempt I got in. I ran to a table, jumped on top, and fell through the world. Then I crashed. That's my Star Citizen story.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

happyhippy posted:

You have to admit though, it's a brilliant get out of bed simulator.

All the crashes the bugs, the poo poo FM, the bland world, all the horrible issues are all just a nightmare, then you "wake up" and have to live through the nightmare again, and again, and again, and ...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DancingShade posted:

Derek when are you going to do a livestream or stream an in-game community event for Line of Defence?

You should show everyone how it's really done.

I keep being asked the same question.

Unlike most, I only want to do that when key elements (in this case aircraft) are unlocked. That's the massive version we're wrapping up atm. We've had aircraft and vehicles in for years now, but due to the engine switch, coupled with the new networking architecture, we've had to make some revisions. See the changelog for news on what's coming in the next two updates http://lodmmo.com/changelog

Once that drops, I will be doing a live stream. Combat in space, on planets, inside massive stations/carrier - in full fps mode etc.

Take a look at the changelog for the amazing capabilities of the aircraft feature sure coming in the next major Build 00.09.06.06 build due out next month

http://lodmmo.com/changelog/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

NotSockAccount posted:

Literally hoping they release the game and its good and I can buy it for 60 bucks and its amazing. I don't think anyone is hoping its poo poo or doesn't exist. The question is what are we actually expecting. that is the difference. Because I would say we are expecting tears and buggy shells of a game.

Vire fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 21, 2015

• Locked thread