Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo you guys are right, you've saved this show for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

That (episode 2 or 3) buzzsaw thing was dumb. He's a barkeep, he's not rich. Aren't there cheaper ways to demonstrate that you can't get hurt? Use a hammer! A knife! A cigarette lighter!

Lol I was thinking the same thing! "You could have just told me your were bulletproof, you didn't need to wreck my saw"

Also I like that Jessica's fighting style is just her shoving/throwing dudes around with brute strength. Like that's all she's needed so far so she hasn't really evolved any actual moves.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
1x11 Hahah, I like Patsy being a Miley Cyrus type

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol I was thinking the same thing! "You could have just told me your were bulletproof, you didn't need to wreck my saw"

Also I like that Jessica's fighting style is just her shoving/throwing dudes around with brute strength. Like that's all she's needed so far so she hasn't really evolved any actual moves.

Yeah it's really enjoyable plus Luke Cages non chalant fighting is hilarious.

E:

Oh poo poo! that Episode 6 Luke Cage wrecking fools, saying Sweeet Christmas

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 21, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This show wasn't billed as horror but it had more :aaaaa: moments than any "scary" thing I've ever seen not made by Lars von Trier.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jesus is every episode ending on a downer. Cause seriously episode 6 is loving depressing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
1x11 the girls they have playing young Tricia and Jess are really quite good. Also the one playing looks a hell of a lot like Ritter

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
1x11 end Holy poo poo, an episode ending sort of on a high note. My lord.

I mean, if Kilgrave knew Luke was invulnerable, gently caress, this'd suck, but he didn't, so rock on.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 21, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hollismason posted:

Jesus is every episode ending on a downer. Cause seriously episode 6 is loving depressing.

I don't know, episode five felt more like noble sacrifice than downer to me.

I'm calling it a night at five episodes. I can finish the season tomorrow, and give me time to absorb the trauma.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

You know how there's a subset of people who want their superhero/comic stuff dark and gritty? I like to imagine the producers of the show reading and hearing about that and going, "gently caress YO poo poo! We'll show you how dark and gritty poo poo can get."

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Possible minor late episode spoiler, I just binge watched the whole thing and can't remember in which episode this abbreviation first appears I just want to be the first to say that IGH = Inhuman Growth Hormone

Of course that is obviously not what it stands for and doesn't actually make any sense but the words fit and I like it anyway.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
1x13

Holy poo poo what a great ending. It's so perfectly fitting that killing Killgrave means absolutely nothing beyond 'at least the mind stealing will stop'. Jessica just kinda going catatonic as people flood her inbox for help was basically the absolute best way for the story to end. The whole point is she's a hero despite herself at times. I was kinda worried with the whole 'I love you' thing it'd turn into a big 'no everything's ok' ending but nope, Luke's going off to do his thing, her sister is still snooping into Bad Times Stuff, the lawyer's still a completely amoral piece of poo poo, and she's still in her shitballs office/apartment thing with the busted door. Jessica is a good person but she's also severely broken, and the only way her story can go is 'well, she's doing her best'. I have to assume she's gonna have a bit part in Cage's show too, hopefully, because it'd be nice to see kinda her developing in the background into kinda her own version of his whole 'heroes for hire' type thing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Goddammit I have to work tomorrow and I want to stay up all night and watch more!! :arghfist::mad:

Still stuck in chapter 3. David Tennant is amazing as a creepy weirdo, and everything is so drat great.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Gilok posted:

Possible minor late episode spoiler, I just binge watched the whole thing and can't remember in which episode this abbreviation first appears I just want to be the first to say that IGH = Inhuman Growth Hormone

Of course that is obviously not what it stands for and doesn't actually make any sense but the words fit and I like it anyway.

Episode 12.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm 17 minutes into episode 10 and cannot loving believe this show

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Punisher is going to be loving ridiculous

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Superstring posted:

You know how there's a subset of people who want their superhero/comic stuff dark and gritty? I like to imagine the producers of the show reading and hearing about that and going, "gently caress YO poo poo! We'll show you how dark and gritty poo poo can get."

Those people want every movie to be Dark Knight with Heath Ledger's Joker.

I like how many Androids there are in the show. I'm pretty sure Me and Jess have the same phone.

1x11 Oh poo poo that's just going to piss Luke Cage off. I can't imagine Kilgrave knew Luke's power so he intended Luke to blow up his bar and kill himself in front of Jessica.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 21, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
About 9 episodes in and this poo poo is pretty A++.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Holy poo poo Rebecca_De_Mornay.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tetrapyloctomy posted:

General thought, up to 1x12: Seriously, has no one thought of maybe earplugs plus or minus a respirator? Also, Jessica could have told Kilgrave to release Hope to "right some wrongs," maybe done a few more heroic things, and then ripped his vocal cords out. Really, though, I'm enjoying the hell out of this, though to say the tone is uneven is an understatement.

Speaking of tone, I like how the noir narration just stops like 2 episodes in. It's like they forgot.

weekly font posted:

I wish Carrie-Anne Moss had a less superfluous role because she is absolutely stealing this show. Not that most everyone else isn't good to great, but poo poo I just want to see more of her.

What? Her character is completely pointless and her plotline does not pay off at all. I'm surprised she got as much screentime as she did.

1x1-13

The good

Ritter and Tennant are great in their roles.

Kilgrave is amazing and even better than Fisk imo

I really liked the support group scenes. Shows that even though Kilgrave hosed with a lot of people, they do want to try and get better(except Jessica)

Episodes 7 to 10 were the best part of the show by far.

Kilgrave is just so creepy and scummy I love it.

The bad

Are they using the same action / stunt choreographers as Daredevil? Every action scene looks really bad.

Noir narration stops for no reason.

How good an episode is has a direct correlation to how much screentime Kilgrave has.

Random cop Simpson turns out to be spec ops badass with secret magic pills. I hope that's directly from the comics(not just his char) because that was really loving retarded.

Lesbian lawyer plotline goes nowhere and is a waste of screentime. And then she has the most contrived twist to make her evil. Why yes I did convince Hope to get an abortion and then kept the baby remains in a secret lab to try and replicate mind control power :psyduck:
Also her explaining the incident at her house to Pam was terrible. If she just told the truth Pam would have believed her. Instead she let Pam think that she went after Kilgrave so he would make her wife sign the divorce papers.

Kilgrave more like motherfucking Dr. Claw. By the third time he escaped Jessica, it had to be intentional comedy because come the gently caress on. Simpson was right, just kill that evil prick. Everyone who died after he escaped the first time is 100% your fault Jessica. gently caress Hope. Even Hope knew that he was super dangerous and sacrificed herself so that Kilgrave would die.

Jessica Jones: the only American without a gun.

Overall, it was :mediocre:. Worse than Daredevil and probably could have been cut down to 10 episodes without losing much. Tennant carried the show on his shoulders.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Counter-Point : People will literally write 30 to 40 page dissertations on this. Seriously this show is so loving good. You've got all kinds of crazy poo poo in it.

edit:

JESUS loving CHRIST EPISODE 7

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 21, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I bulled my way through the first 6 episodes and had to take a break after that. It's so supremely grim that binge watching is painful once you get over the midway point.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah episode 8 is loving rough. gonna stop here. I can handle this is like wtf.

Jesus loving christ the conversation in episode 8 This whole breakfast then Rape Conversation that is a way deviation from the comic

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 21, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
1x12 so all the interactions between Luke and Jessica were controlled by Kilgrave from the start?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

1x12 so all the interactions between Luke and Jessica were controlled by Kilgrave from the start?

yap

edit: clarificationstart of when they reunite, not since the beginning of the show

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 21, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

no just that episode and a tiny bit of the one before

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NecroMonster posted:

no just that episode and a tiny bit of the one before

Ah okay. So Since 1x11 Luke came after Kilgrave. Also, 1x13 Rosario Dawson!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jesus Christ Episode 8 If Im not back in two hours remove the skin from each others faces

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Just finished up. Series was very good for the most part, and there's really only two true negative things I can say about it (1x1 - 13)

The action scenes were real bad. You could really tell the show didn't have the same pedigree behind it on that particular front that Daredevil did. For the most part that's fine, it's not really an ACTION show like Daredevil was. Was still real bad, though.

That Malcolm confession in 1x10 was done extremely poorly to the point of contrivance to let the next three episodes happen. Absolutely hated it and it was a sore point as I finished the series out.

Minor extra complaint: Laughed every time Jessica did a ~super jump~. Good lord.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 21, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm quitting on episode 7 but so far I actually like this better than Daredevil, though I can see why other people would not. I don't have a big essay to back this opinion up though so it may be Objectively Wrong.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holy poo poo 1x13 I figure purple dad was just playing along with Kilgrave, as the vaccine he created worked, but was still doing what he said looking for a moment to betray him. Guess it didn't matter

Re: action shots not being as good as DD, I think that's because this is a detective show, while Daredevil was an action show. Cage and Jess are brawlers, not super Ninjas like Matt.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

First time I've ever binged watched something, and I have to say, despite my initial impressions after the first trailer, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Ironically, I didn't find it heavy/emotional/etc. like most of you did. :shrug:

Episodes 1-13:
I wasn't sad when Reubin died. I didn't like him or his sister.

The casting was once again great.

I've never watched Tenent in anything, and he was fantastic, and hammy. I laughed at most of his scenes.

The gratuitous sex scenes were pointless, and added nothing to the show. They could have just gone from making out to lying in bed after it's over. There was no need to show everything in between.

I was all :neckbeard: when Claire showed up. :3:

I was half expecting Murdock to be the lawyer when Claire said Jessica was arrested.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Post episode 10: why the gently caress did they suddenly do this group therapy drama? Why is everyone attacking Jessica instead of just yelling at her. Oh good grief.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Holy poo poo 1x13 I figure purple dad was just playing along with Kilgrave, as the vaccine he created worked, but was still doing what he said looking for a moment to betray him. Guess it didn't matter

Re: action shots not being as good as DD, I think that's because this is a detective show, while Daredevil was an action show. Cage and Jess are brawlers, not super Ninjas like Matt.

It's not how they fight, it's how the scenes look / were shot. Which was very poorly.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's not how they fight, it's how the scenes look / were shot. Which was very poorly.

I'm one of those plebs that despite watching TV and movies for most of their life still can't tell when something is shot well vs. poorly unless it's something really obviously impressive like the one long take Daredevil fight scene or the bizarre tinted and tilted cinematography of Battlefield Earth so I have to just take your word on that.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

HIJK posted:

Post episode 10: why the gently caress did they suddenly do this group therapy drama? Why is everyone attacking Jessica instead of just yelling at her. Oh good grief.

1x10 Because Robyn is a psycho?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Speaking of tone, I like how the noir narration just stops like 2 episodes in. It's like they forgot.

Are you sure you actually watched the show?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Supremezero posted:

1x10 Because Robyn is a psycho?

Still seems incredibly convoluted, especially now that I'm into episode 11 and she's just following orders.

E: I can see why they handed out the first seven episodes, the wheels come off a little while Kilgrave plays house and Jessica tries to...get through to him? I think that's what she was doing.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 21, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm only a few episodes in so I'm going to avoid reading too much of the thread.

Is there some reason why they can't use the actual names of the avengers on these shows? I don't remember how it was on Daredevil, but in JJ it's always "the green guy" or "flag waver". It's all Marvel, why wouldn't they just say the Hulk and Captain America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Disney may own Marvel, but there are contracts predating that and they must be obeyed. The