Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I like the sound of them taking damage to the real world relatively realistically. They haven't done that since Tamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Onmi posted:

Tri is good, going to suck waiting till April

Aww man I was hoping it would be a little closer than that. Understandable though.

I enjoyed it overall. It hit the nostalgia buttons just right. This is actually my first time watching Digimon in original Japanese so some of the digimons' voices sound funny, but they all fit I think. It's weird not having the music I'm used to, but it's still good.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
This was good.
Joe not being around makes sense to me. Fits his character. Izzy crushing hard on Mimi is awesome, especially since she pretty much noticed first thing. TK/Hikari relationship is adorable, glad they are pushing the platonic best friends angle and not a back and forth "We obviously like each other" bit
The Alphamon fight was brutal in the best way. Giant monster film feel is spot on though. The fact someone on the team is noticing that is a nice touch. Happened in the first season but it didn't really click with the whole end of the world looming.

APRIL IS TOO FAR.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watched the first two episodes.

I adore the fact that Angemon and Gatomon were treated like they should be- wreckers of poo poo as the Power Couple.

Seriously Angemon didn't even USE a special attack he just punched and kicked.

The status of season 2 is weird just because of how they're writing around it while including elements of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It should be noted that while the BD/DVD of "Determination" will be out in April, the movie release is March 12th, so we might get it before April ourselves.. Also, it confirms new Megas, Mimi and Joe are getting Rosemon and Vikemon.

What to say about this movie/four episodes, though? What was leaked honestly destroyed my hopes...pointlessly, because this was great! The kaiju-esque feel of the Digimon, destruction in the human world being taken absolutely seriously, Taichi growing up to realize that playing with fire is dangerous, the amazing fights (especially Alphamon, holy poo poo), everything just gave me a very Tamers-esque feel and that's always a great thing. Adults having an actual role is pretty cool too.

My only complaint is how everyone seemed to forget they could go past Adult. Like, the Kuwagamons wouldn't have been even a speedbump to MetalGreymon, not even WarGreymon. And during the fight against Alphamon everyone sticks at Adult despite being destroyed, then Yamato appears...and has Gabumon become Garurumon. Not Metal, just regular Garurumon. It's not even like 02 where they couldn't because plot holes, considering how Yamato immediatly wants to go into Omegamon and Taichi and him evolve their Digimon effortlessly afterwards. That said, it feels overall minor in comparison to how good the rest was.

I also really enjoyed the music. Remixing the BGMs from Adventure was a great choice to give it that Adventure-like feeling. The new versions of the lyrics songs are great too, and I loved the lyric-less Brave Heart during the fight with Alphamon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It should be noted that while the BD/DVD of "Determination" will be out in April, the movie release is March 12th, so we might get it before April ourselves.. Also, it confirms new Megas, Mimi and Joe are getting Rosemon and Vikemon.

What to say about this movie/four episodes, though? What was leaked honestly destroyed my hopes...pointlessly, because this was great! The kaiju-esque feel of the Digimon, destruction in the human world being taken absolutely seriously, Taichi growing up to realize that playing with fire is dangerous, the amazing fights (especially Alphamon, holy poo poo), everything just gave me a very Tamers-esque feel and that's always a great thing. Adults having an actual role is pretty cool too.

My only complaint is how everyone seemed to forget they could go past Adult. Like, the Kuwagamons wouldn't have been even a speedbump to MetalGreymon, not even WarGreymon. And during the fight against Alphamon everyone sticks at Adult despite being destroyed, then Yamato appears...and has Gabumon become Garurumon. Not Metal, just regular Garurumon. It's not even like 02 where they couldn't because plot holes, considering how Yamato immediatly wants to go into Omegamon and Taichi and him evolve their Digimon effortlessly afterwards. That said, it feels overall minor in comparison to how good the rest was.

I also really enjoyed the music. Remixing the BGMs from Adventure was a great choice to give it that Adventure-like feeling. The new versions of the lyrics songs are great too, and I loved the lyric-less Brave Heart during the fight with Alphamon.

They were very clearly out of practice against stronger foes. It's not like Adults haven't wrecked the entire team in the past, and they've never gone above a level to beat something weaker that I can recall (at least not a 'boss')

I also really appreciated the role reversal for Taichi and Yamato. Taichi is the worried serious one, he's now taking into consideration things he never thought about when he was younger. He has 'grown up' in that sense. Yet Yamato, who you could argue was more 'mature' than the other kids, is the one who's basically living in the past. He's upset that people have changed, and he himself broke up his bang out of "Creative Differences" which I personally took to mean "I wanted to keep playing the same kind of music and they didn't" He wants everything to be how it was in Adventure, where he was his happiest. He's still stuck in the past. I think the two will help pull each other to a comfortable middle ground. But it is a nice reverse since Taichi used to be the hotheaded one and Yamato overly cautious because he was protecting Takeru.

My only reason for hoping those spoilers are wrong is because they mention Imperialdramon, I really don't want the 02 kids involved. I'll be fine with it however if Imperialdramon is the next Infected Digimon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So many great things, I love that Tri turned out this good and interesting and entertaining. Can't put up a thorough thought on this, but one of my favorite things has to be Loose Lips Gennai. Should've known he'd snitch at the first chance.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So real talk, goon friend and I watched the first two episodes together. Lots of snark and talk back but we both genuinely loved the second episode and the fights and the reveal of three Kuwagamons...

Our hype was very real during the entire thing as we kept joking about how bad Angemon was going to wreck poo poo and how we hoped Gatomon would be treated with respect again.

And we simultaneously had the same reaction at seeing TK's D3. Stunned disappointment and then sighing.

Then Gatomon punched Kuwagamon into the ground and it was glorious again.

It cannot be overstated how much I do not like season 2. I really, really do not like season 2. If anything proved to me, personally, that it's not just an act I put on for comedy, it's how disappointed I was at being reminded of season 2 for a brief moment by TK's digivice. I really wish they just went all the way and ignored season 2 entirely. It would make a lot of things make a lot of sense.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Don't give 02 too much thought, man. Lots of elements from it will be pulled but that'll make the story more interesting, like Taichi's doubts because we know he's going to become more levelheaded and work on Human and Digimon relations when he's an adult, which is as cool as Agumon's suit. Or the fact that there are chosen children all around the world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Burkion posted:

It cannot be overstated how much I do not like season 2. I really, really do not like season 2. If anything proved to me, personally, that it's not just an act I put on for comedy, it's how disappointed I was at being reminded of season 2 for a brief moment by TK's digivice. I really wish they just went all the way and ignored season 2 entirely. It would make a lot of things make a lot of sense.
It's been 13 years, man. Move on. 02 had issues but it wasn't the worst thing to ever happen in the history of man.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

It's been 13 years, man. Move on. 02 had issues but it wasn't the worst thing to ever happen in the history of man.

Digimon 02 was the most disappointing thing since my son... :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I just realized that I loved the orchestral Brave Heart so much I didn't even hear the sound effects and assumed the fight was mute besides the song.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Don't give 02 too much thought, man. Lots of elements from it will be pulled but that'll make the story more interesting, like Taichi's doubts because we know he's going to become more levelheaded and work on Human and Digimon relations when he's an adult, which is as cool as Agumon's suit. Or the fact that there are chosen children all around the world.

How about War Greymon in a suit

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

:perfect:

Also, we only see him for a few seconds, but goddamn I adore Wargreymon's design in this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

New Black Omegamon for Next Order

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Tri is very good. Specially liked that the tone wasn't too childish but at the same time didn't try to be dark and edgy. Everyone got a moment to shine as well, the first teasers looked a bit too focused on Tai.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Onmi posted:

:golfclap:

The first four episodes of Tri were a good opening act. It's kind of like they never left. Hopefully the momentum will keep going in April.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Reading about the cuts made to the american "movie" definitely gives me a lot more sympathy for Nimoy. Poor guy got ragged on for a ton of poo poo that he couldn't do anything about. I'd buy him a drink if I could.

What exactly happened with this?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

What exactly happened with this?

So Saban wanted to have a theatrical release digimon movie, and their idea to do this was to take three unrelated movies and cut them together. Nimoy, who actually is pretty decent at his job, argued this would be stupid, they could combine the first and second movies and tell a contained story of "Before the adventure, After the Adventure" and then use the third movie as a TV special. He argued this for days, and even after leaving an interview having been given word that his idea would be gone with, next day? Nope. 3 movies.

The thing is, Nimoy, like many dub directors, wound up getting a lot of poo poo slung at him. Not just for the movie but for... well the typical Saban dub. Shippers hated him because he had the gall to say that he liked Tai and Sora together, Sub purists hated him for every cut and added dialog. Oh right, and since the dub was so cut up the voice actors guild argued that it counted as an original piece, which meant it cost way more to do lines for than planned. So he got blamed for that too.

Basically guy wound up getting his name associated with Digimon and dumb anime fans give the poor guy a lot of grief like it was his personal plan to 'ruin digimon FOREVER'

http://digipedia.db-destiny.net/cast_crew/nimoy2.htm

The interview where he chats about the movie.

VIKEMON AND ROSEMON VS EVIL IMPERIALDRAMON!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 21, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing

ONLY THING

I'm genuinely curious about

Because gently caress Imperialdramon he's a stupid Digimon

How in the world do Mimi and Joe go Mega Level? (Also mildly amazed they're apparently first- usually Izzy and Sora are next up for the power ups) In season 1, Mega Level was effectively impossible to reach unless you got mutated by a poo poo ton of Digivice energy (Leomon) were made by some higher power (The Dark Masters being made by Apoclymon who wasn't strictly any kind of level in the show and not even a real Digimon), absorbed anothers power into yourself (Etemon and the Dark Network, Myotismon and his entire army) or you fulfill some super suspect bullshit prophesy (Tai and Matt)

I suspect some fuckery is afoot- and I like it!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Burkion posted:

The only thing

ONLY THING

I'm genuinely curious about

Because gently caress Imperialdramon he's a stupid Digimon

How in the world do Mimi and Joe go Mega Level? (Also mildly amazed they're apparently first- usually Izzy and Sora are next up for the power ups) In season 1, Mega Level was effectively impossible to reach unless you got mutated by a poo poo ton of Digivice energy (Leomon) were made by some higher power (The Dark Masters being made by Apoclymon who wasn't strictly any kind of level in the show and not even a real Digimon), absorbed anothers power into yourself (Etemon and the Dark Network, Myotismon and his entire army) or you fulfill some super suspect bullshit prophesy (Tai and Matt)

I suspect some fuckery is afoot- and I like it!

Given that the second movie is called Determination/Decision. I take it that in Jou's case, the fact that he sat out most of Reunion and almost all of his scenes screamed "I really desperately want to be with everyone but these studies I despise are taking up all my time." which doesn't exactly fit with the crest of Honesty, he'll finally decide that school can go gently caress itself and he's going to help his friends. Coming to the end of his logical character arc started in Digimon Adventure (Where he is the quintessential japanese student locked into the system that he's expected to follow.") and that allowing him to reach Ultimate.

It's not coincidence that the two digimon featured least and who didn't show up to the battle vs the Kuwagamon would be the first to get their Mega's.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For the record I love that we're all such titanic nerds about this that we can toss around the Japanese and English terms and no one gets confused even when they're the same words for different levels.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Wonder how they're going to explain ImperialDramon's presence, isn't 02 style Jogress supposed to no longer be possible according to said show's ending(which also explains why the 02 kids got their asses handed to them so easily off-screen since they'd only have Armor and Adult evolution left to them), at least assuming this ImperialDramon is a corrupted version of Davis and Ken's one and not some unrelated one

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Wonder how they're going to explain ImperialDramon's presence, isn't 02 style Jogress supposed to no longer be possible according to said show's ending(which also explains why the 02 kids got their asses handed to them so easily off-screen since they'd only have Armor and Adult evolution left to them), at least assuming this ImperialDramon is a corrupted version of Davis and Ken's one and not some unrelated one

Well According to 02 Only Taichi can reach Mega of the original children. So as far as Tri is concerned 02 can go gently caress itself.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I hope the meeting went like

"And then MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon throw attacks and"
"But how do we explain that Azulongmon only gave Agumon the sphere of energy to evolve?"
"...Anyways now they can also fight during the warp evolution, so Greymon and MetalGreymon get some hits in, and also Garurumon can warp evolve to MetalGarurumon"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Burkion summoned me here. It's me, I like 02.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Burkion summoned me here. It's me, I like 02.

Yo What.

Why do you like season 2. I genuinely want to know.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I found the 02 cast endearing, I liked the sense of legacy, and the run of Adventure->Adventure 02, both in the show and the manga adaptation that flooded my local Barnes and Noble well after the show was done airing and served as the "Target Novelizations" of the series for me, pre-Internet anime availability. A lot of it's sentimental; I haven't done much in the way of rewatching. But I just don't understand the animus.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Season 2 is cool because Magnamon is cool

A shame he shows up less than Angemon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I found the 02 cast endearing, I liked the sense of legacy, and the run of Adventure->Adventure 02, both in the show and the manga adaptation that flooded my local Barnes and Noble well after the show was done airing and served as the "Target Novelizations" of the series for me, pre-Internet anime availability. A lot of it's sentimental; I haven't done much in the way of rewatching. But I just don't understand the animus.

I can appreciate that, believe me I can.

I don't think it'd hold up for you as well if you rewatched it now, but I'm not really sure. Nostalgia isn't much of a factor for me as far as tricking me into thinking that I liked something that was awful.

Digimon season 1 I watched as it aired and went into season 2 wanting to love it because of how much I enjoyed season 1. And I gave it my best shot as a kid but even then I was disappointed with the whole thing and just did not like what they did. The writing was much worse, I did not care for the new characters as much, and the characters I did care for were not treated as well.

There were things about season 2 I did like and can still appreciate, but having rewatched season 1 and 2 back to back fairly recently, with a friend who had never seen either, the flaws of season 2 are much more glaring as well. Never mind how much of season 2 is filler, which is really shocking compared to season 1.

I'm glad Digimon Tri is taking the approach they are because season 2 shouldn't just be forgotten, no matter my personal feelings on it- but it also shouldn't take precedent over season 1 as it was a much more inferior production.

So this, I think, is a good compromise.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Onmi posted:

New Black Omegamon for Next Order

Okay, I'll bite. What's with Goth Omnimon?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They wanted a Digimon that could use KNIFE OF DAY as an attack.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe Black War Greymon fused with

Uh

Shadow Metal Garurumon?

Or whoever evil Metal Garurumon is

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Geostomp posted:

Okay, I'll bite. What's with Goth Omnimon?

Officially is known as "Black Knight"

But you know what is the most interesting part? The guy in the bottom totally looks like Digimon World 1's protagonist

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Digimon Thread - Knife of Ramen

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I just watched and saw the beginning how 02 was hosed really hard. Wonder if that was just saying hey most of you didn't like 02 so we're throwing a bone to you guys or (most likely) they'll be a plot device that they need to save them or they're in some way responsible for the space distortion. I kind of like 02 and can live with it so I'm interested to see.

I also like how they're balancing of what the original series was and what the characters have become and how everyone interacts. It's refreshing to see a more mature group of Digimon handlers rather than the kids we always go in the previous series'.

Looking from the picture, it looks like BlackImperialdramon which maybe the infection caused the mega evolution of Veemon and Wormon with a twist, or could be something entirely different. Lot of questions still to be answered but it's a good setup for the next set of episodes and excited for it.

Also Izzy working with an associate in America with this virtual hub for the Digimon... is it Willis? Is Digimon The Movie new canon? :aaaaa:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hey that was pretty good. Not much to add, just that I really like the whole confrontation with Alphamon. He just brutalizes everyone that goes at him really efficiently.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Someone talked about digimon in a thread and now it's got me thinking about the show. Where can I watch the show on the internet? Crunchyroll etc...?

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Someone talked about digimon in a thread and now it's got me thinking about the show. Where can I watch the show on the internet? Crunchyroll etc...?

Yeah it's all on Crunchyroll as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BMB5150 posted:

I just watched and saw the beginning how 02 was hosed really hard. Wonder if that was just saying hey most of you didn't like 02 so we're throwing a bone to you guys or (most likely) they'll be a plot device that they need to save them or they're in some way responsible for the space distortion. I kind of like 02 and can live with it so I'm interested to see.

I also like how they're balancing of what the original series was and what the characters have become and how everyone interacts. It's refreshing to see a more mature group of Digimon handlers rather than the kids we always go in the previous series'.

Looking from the picture, it looks like BlackImperialdramon which maybe the infection caused the mega evolution of Veemon and Wormon with a twist, or could be something entirely different. Lot of questions still to be answered but it's a good setup for the next set of episodes and excited for it.

Also Izzy working with an associate in America with this virtual hub for the Digimon... is it Willis? Is Digimon The Movie new canon? :aaaaa:

More likely it's Michael or one of the other American Chosen Children, since from what I can recollect it's near impossible to fit Hurricane Touchdown into continuity properly