Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, I have the Candy Crush problem too. It's weird because I never installed it or even thought about installing it.

What's the difference between BIOS and UEFI? I think my board can switch between the two...maybe?

It will probably have a CSM option in there, which is basically enabling BIOS mode on a UEFI board. UEFI boots faster, in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Does 10 allow you to output audio to multiple devices? I'd upgrade right now if it meant I didn't have to constantly switch back and forth between my speakers and the TV.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rusty! posted:

It will probably have a CSM option in there, which is basically enabling BIOS mode on a UEFI board. UEFI boots faster, in a nutshell.

Hmm.... it's the Gigabyte Z170Z-G7, would that be UEFI or BIOS?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Does 10 allow you to output audio to multiple devices? I'd upgrade right now if it meant I didn't have to constantly switch back and forth between my speakers and the TV.

No, it's still a hassle.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, I have the Candy Crush problem too. It's weird because I never installed it or even thought about installing it.

What's the difference between BIOS and UEFI? I think my board can switch between the two...maybe?

UEFI is the replacement for BIOS

Your motherboard can run legacy drive formats or UEFI drive formats. There is no reason to not use UEFI, especially on windows where it allows for ultrafast boot.

You have to install the OS originally as UEFI to take advantage or you can do a conversion which is a little technical but works fine.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ThermoPhysical posted:

UEFI is an open standard firmware meant as a replacement for BIOS for PCs and has pretty much totally replaced BIOS on new systems since starting to really get traction around 2010-2011 (just my guess on the years there). It allows some nice things in the configuration menus like higher resolution and mouse support, and generally has faster/smoother boots with compatible hardware. It also is able to actually read inside a hard drive (which can use GPT and/or be larger than 2TB unlike BIOS, I believe) and find bootable partitions directly, instead of looking for a boot sector (which is really just a tiny, mysterious hidden partition at the start of the drive if I understand correctly) and passing off control to the bootloader from there. This allows easier dual-boots if nothing else, although it can create some additional concerns when installing old OSes or cloning drives.

There are a lot of differences, but if your board has a setting to switch back and forth then it's actually UEFI and has an "emulate BIOS" boot mode for compatibility/familiarity's sake. There are some machines, I am betting mostly cheap ones like the ASUS X205 netbook I saw it on, that are actually UEFI but go whole-hog on looking and acting like BIOS - I'm not sure why these exist unless it's a cost saving measure or they're really worried about consumers not liking new things.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 20, 2015

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I think it will always be a hazzle as long as Windows supports HDCP, since it's probably a requirement from that.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Most BIOS/UEFI's have an option to turn the custom boot logos on and off.

This one does not, and it also has some security thing in place to stop you flashing modded ones. It's an AMI APTIO V uefi which is a pain in the arse to modify and has hardly any options.

It's a Clevo N150RD and no-one has done a modded bios for it yet, hence asking if there's a way to make Windows not look for it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm probably talking out my rear end here, but doesn't UEFI have some support for showing a corporate image instead of a default one? Maybe you can find a way to put that in the SYSTEM RESERVED partition or whatever it's called?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
My mother in law has Vista and she wants to go to Windows 10 but there's no direct way to upgrade from the OS. What's the best/cheapest way to get Windows 10 on her PC?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Phoenixan posted:

There's no option for it in the program itself, other than to try hiding its icon in the tray. It only started doing this on the past month or so.

I'd also like it if notifications obeyed the system sounds level in the mixer and weren't so loving loud.
Weird - mine has like three different Settings screens, but the one in the bottom right with the Wrench icon has "Disable auto popup dialog, when device has been plugged in" and that's how I got rid of it. Says my version number is 6.0.1.7535.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well, I bought one of those cheap ebay keys before consulting here. Anyway, I can't undo that. I googled the key and it didn't come up on at all so that's a plus. Is there any way to check if its good or not without actually installing Win10?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wookieepelt posted:

My mother in law has Vista and she wants to go to Windows 10 but there's no direct way to upgrade from the OS. What's the best/cheapest way to get Windows 10 on her PC?

Do you happen to have a spare Windows 7 license? Particularly one from a computer you already upgraded to Windows 10, so it's not using 7 at the moment? Do an upgrade install from Vista to 7 with that, then do a Windows 10 install - it should activate fine.

Geemer posted:

I'm probably talking out my rear end here, but doesn't UEFI have some support for showing a corporate image instead of a default one? Maybe you can find a way to put that in the SYSTEM RESERVED partition or whatever it's called?

That's in the spec as something that can be supported, but any given UEFI implementation isn't guaranteed to have it supported, since it's not critical to booting an OS.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, but this is the upgrade key that MS themselves sold. Will that work?

Should mine is an upgrade key to 8 that I bought from MS

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait, will win10 take my old win7 key? No upgrade, clean install?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yes

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Threshold 2 dumped a Windows.old folder onto my drive. Apparently you're supposed to run Disk Cleanup to remove it, but it's not listed there...

Edit: Had to click "Clean System Files"

wretchx fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 21, 2015

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

My current PC has Windows 7 but I have no idea where the product key is. I'm building a new PC and I'd like to start with a clean install of Windows 10 on it. Do I have any options? I'm guessing I could put the disk from my old PC into the new one, get Windows 7 to come to terms with the fact that it's a new PC, and then upgrade, but I'd much rather have a clean Windows 10 install, even though I won't be using the old PC anymore. Do I have to give MS $200 or whatever?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Any idea if the Long Term Service release or whatever the version that doesn't auto install candy crush is called will get the November update?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

frunksock posted:

My current PC has Windows 7 but I have no idea where the product key is. I'm building a new PC and I'd like to start with a clean install of Windows 10 on it. Do I have any options? I'm guessing I could put the disk from my old PC into the new one, get Windows 7 to come to terms with the fact that it's a new PC, and then upgrade, but I'd much rather have a clean Windows 10 install, even though I won't be using the old PC anymore. Do I have to give MS $200 or whatever?

You can extract your key from the install with the keyfinder (do a custom install and uncheck the adware):
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
...and install Windows 10 with it if you make sure you have the latest install media from:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Awesome. thanks!

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hmm.... it's the Gigabyte Z170Z-G7, would that be UEFI or BIOS?

UEFI

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

frunksock posted:

Do an upgrade and then wipe/reload.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

windsor posted:

Threshold 2 dumped a Windows.old folder onto my drive. Apparently you're supposed to run Disk Cleanup to remove it, but it's not listed there...

Edit: Had to click "Clean System Files"

Yes, that's normal when you install new editions of Windows, which apparently these update are.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

frunksock posted:

Use a keyfinder to get your product key.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rusty! posted:

Use a keyfinder to get your product key.

I used to use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder but Produkey seems to work better.

Also, for the person with the Vista PC...

If it came with Vista, this new Skylake PC is probably faster, includes Windows 10 Home, runs on 5 watts, is pocket sized and fanless, and is $99 (less if you find a newegg coupon): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001&FM=1

I bought two to test out for work and after working with them a few days I'm bulk ordering a dozen for various light-duty things.

But yeah it's a very good PC with Win 10 included for about the same cost as buying a license.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 21, 2015

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

I used to use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder but Produkey seems to work better.

Also, for the person with the Vista PC...

If it came with Vista, this new Skylake PC is probably faster, includes Windows 10 Home, runs on 5 watts, is pocket sized and fanless: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001&FM=1

I bought two to test out for work and after working with them a few days I'm bulk ordering a dozen for various light-duty things.

Glad to hear this recommendation; I saw this linked a week or so ago somewhere and was contemplating getting one to replace my parents' ancient Athlon 4350e desktop that's slowly degenerating. Hard to beat that for the price, all I have to do is figure out a bit more storage for them. I had replaced the hard drive with an SSD, what's a good enclosure to put one in?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That Kangaroo thing looks cool but the fact that they couldn't get anyone to proofread their marketing spiel makes me pretty wary.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Glad to hear this recommendation; I saw this linked a week or so ago somewhere and was contemplating getting one to replace my parents' ancient Athlon 4350e desktop that's slowly degenerating. Hard to beat that for the price, all I have to do is figure out a bit more storage for them. I had replaced the hard drive with an SSD, what's a good enclosure to put one in?

You can expand the 32gb of storage they have with the included Micro SD card slot, SanDisk has 128gb Micro SDs on Amazon for $50.

For a 2.5" SSD enclosure you could just get the cheapest USB 3.0 enclosure you can find on eBay/Amazon and Velcro it to the PC, they're both the same form factor so it'd make a nice little stack.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sheep posted:

That Kangaroo thing looks cool but the fact that they couldn't get anyone to proofread their marketing spiel makes me pretty wary.

It's made by InFocus who has done projectors for decades, it has Microsoft and Intel seals of approval on the box, 1 year warranty, and the build quality is fantastic on the two I got, they're just thick aluminum bricks. I can't really fault them for not paying proofreaders, I'm not sure there was much budget left for marketing after hitting that price point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

How does that Kangaroo thing compare to a box with an Atom N330? Because I've got an old Acer Revo 3600 as an HTPC, and it's slow as poo poo.

edit: I should have just googled for some reviews. I didn't find anything comparing it to an Atom 330 (because why would someone compare it to an 8-year-old CPU?), but reviews seem to be pretty positive when it comes to performance.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 21, 2015

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

dud root posted:

Any idea if the Long Term Service release or whatever the version that doesn't auto install candy crush is called will get the November update?

It won't. LTSB gets only security updates.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thermopyle posted:

How does that Kangaroo thing compare to a box with an Atom N330? Because I've got an old Acer Revo 3600 as an HTPC, and it's slow as poo poo.

edit: I should have just googled for some reviews. I didn't find anything comparing it to an Atom 330 (because why would someone compare it to an 8-year-old CPU?), but reviews seem to be pretty positive when it comes to performance.
Intel Atom 330 @ 1.60GHz, 2 cores, max tdp 8W, Passmark score 596, single thread rating 250
Intel Atom x5-Z8500 @ 1.44GHz, 4 cores, max tdp 4W, Passmark score 1192, single thread rating 405

Not to suggest that's the whole story by any means, but as an impression.

As someone with a z3735, I'll just say it's a massive difference. It's very suitable for the sort of things you'd do with a chromebook, but with the potential of straying out of that a bit because of Windows. Not cpu constrained really, but the 2GB ram it's usually coupled with is another story.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

MikusR posted:

It won't. LTSB gets only security updates.

Yeah, that's the entire point of LTSB. It doesn't get any upgrades, ever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can get the Lenovo Ideacenter Stick 300 for $99 shipped on Amazon

http://www.zdnet.com/product/lenovo-ideacentre-stick-300/

It just plugs in to the back of any HDMI TV, power supply is a standard cell phone charger. You'll want a USB hub if you don't have bluetooth mouse/keyboard as there is only one USB port. Actually if you have one of those 4 amp $20 usb hubs, you can power this off the hub and also have the hub provide the additional USB ports. Comes with Win10 preinstalled.

1.83GHz Intel Atom Z3735F processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB EMMC.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 22, 2015

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Hi thread. I have a flat screen TV plugged into my HDMI port for watching Netflix, and on Windows 8 if I powered up the computer or woke it from sleep, the TV would come alive and show up as a second display. Now that I upgraded to Windows 10, if I turn it on or wake it from sleep, the TV stays off and I have to turn it on manually, then detect it in the control panel and select "extend these displays". I know it saves the TV info because it remembers the position I put it in in that drag/drop thingy at the top.

Anyone know how I can get it back to assuming I want the TV to always be a display area? Not seeing any options in control panel :(

e: also I think Windows 10 is pretty sharp overall, I use Apple stuff at work and I used to hate Windows, but they're def closing the gap now. Don't know enough about computers to have an opinion about what's going on under the hood, but to a purely visual scrub like me I think it's p good and easy to use.

Kings Of Calabria fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 22, 2015

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I screwed up. Installed a technet edition of Windows 8 in Hyper-V, upgraded to Windows 10. Wrote down the 'new' key and deleted the image.

Tried installing Windows 10 from scratch, but now neither the Windows 8 key or the 'new' Windows 10 key work.

How do I fix this?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Chuu posted:

I screwed up. Installed a technet edition of Windows 8 in Hyper-V, upgraded to Windows 10. Wrote down the 'new' key and deleted the image.

Tried installing Windows 10 from scratch, but now neither the Windows 8 key or the 'new' Windows 10 key work.

How do I fix this?

Make sure you're using 1511 media, then clean install 10 using the 8 key.

You don't get a product key from upgrading, by the way. That activation uses a generic key and is tied to your hardware ID.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I used a couple of those tools to extract my WIndows 7 product key (and both tools gave me the same key), but the Windows 10 installer won't accept it. In Windows 7, in control panel, it says 'Windows is activated' and shows the genuine logo and all that.

E: The Windows 10 installer says, "This product key didn't work. Please check it and try again or skip this."

frunksock fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From reading some articles trying to figure out what went wrong, I thought Windows 10 doesn't use product keys anymore? As in, you need a product key to install -- but after you install you essentially have a license tied to a particular hardware configuration and not the key itself?

I though that is why I was extra screwed. As in, the key was now tied to a Hyper-V GUID that no longer exists.

When I get back home I'll check what Win10 install media I was using. I downloaded it using the update Windows 10 update tool if that is a clue.