Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

The weird binary "It's perfect or it's a scam" of opinions is failing to address the actual reality here- it's not perfect, in fact it's quite loose for what it is, but it's obviously not a scam either. I hate doing one of those "Truth lies in the middle" wishy-washy bullshit copouts, but it's the objective reality here and I feel like that deserves some acknowledgement. CIG is quite incompetent and probably shouldn't be trusted with anyone's money, let alone millions from overhyped, lonely men in the throes of their midlife crises. I think it's still quite likely that they will fail before they finish the game, with layoffs and egos being the biggest contributors. But playing "God of the gaps" with a buggy release is a mug's game. Pointing out each bug in a test build even as they're fixed within 24 hours (as I predicted yesterday about the crash bug) just makes you look out of touch. There's still plenty to criticize, all over this project, but can we also just let go the "2.0 is never going out... okay it came out but it's unplayable... okay it's playable but-" argument? It's clear that within a couple months it'll be playable and rolled out to everyone, just as Arena Commander was.

It's still okay to hate Octopode though.

:gary: My work is done here :yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Romes128 posted:

im the multi million dollar fps in the space simulator game

why am I here

~immersion~

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Should I be potentially worried about December 2015 rolling in? That would technically reach the end of their "12 months" clause in their original ToS. I'm not too well versed in legal mumbo-jumbo, but would backers be held to the ToS at the time of their purchase, or would they be held to the ToS as it currently exists? I just don't want all the poo poo to hit the fan, some big lawsuit hits, and CIG goes tits up before I can get my refund processed.

In other news Overwatch is doing their stress tests and I've had more fun with that real, existing game than SC itself (excluding these threads) has ever provided.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

coward

post yours

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

And I will give them my :20bux: :20bux: and be done with it.

Watching Chris Robert fund his movie dreams with tons of poor nerd's SSI funds on the other hand?

Chris :homebrew:
Me: :stonk:

well, you being lucid and sane is alright

funding anyone with a project like SC in mind isn't so bad, though
even if these crazy, minimum wage earning nerds pour a large portion of their income into the crowdfunding, they're not being deceived. they're very well aware they're buying jpegs, meanwhile the game they want to play is coming along just fine due to it.

there are far less capable and shadier developer-doctor-lawyer-accountants out there, getting money from people and not delivering anything worthwhile

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

janssendalt posted:

coward

post yours
Eh, I edited it out. Do try Googling yourself though.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

So did they ever say if SQ42 cutscenes were skippable?

I really want to know the answer to this. Any other game out there and this is a perfectly acceptable question that large numbers of people will really want to know the answer to. In Star Citizen the questioner would be immediately dammed for launching a comprehensive and piercing criticism of the entire project.

Whoever made the point about new people getting a hard time from Citizens for asking newbie questions had it right.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
My bet is that the gameplay sections are skippable, I mean with such an a-list cast, the gameplay is the secondary part.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

RuckusRouser posted:

edit: Watched some of the video, I guess Sandi read my comment from this thread asking why she never wears her wedding ring -- Chris always does -- because she calls it out and says "I am actually wearing my ring this week"

is she auditioning to play a housewife?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jimb posted:

Hiring unqualified people to pull executive salaries from a crowdfunded project into a single household seems reason enough.

This kind of conflict of interest needs to be brought to the attention of gamers everywhere. It's a scandal like Watergate

what should we call it?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Daily sales are going to help a lot, but 500k a day until the end of November is a hard ask. They haven't sold the phoenix jpg for ages so that day should easily break it.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Eonwe posted:

i guess im asking, have they done any of the actual hard work, or have they just spent $90 million making a less compelling and glitchier version of Elite dangerous without the scale of Elite Dangerous

D_Smart posted:

No, they haven't.

:yarg:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AP posted:

Daily sales are going to help a lot, but 500k a day until the end of November is a hard ask. They haven't sold the phoenix jpg for ages so that day should easily break it.

Who the gently caress is paying them that 500K?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

This kind of conflict of interest needs to be brought to the attention of gamers everywhere. It's a scandal like Watergate

what should we call it?

StarGate!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Bootcha, I know it takes time to properly edit and put together, and I respect that due process entirely, but please make that last vid ASAP so I can just forget about this shithole of a thread for the next several months, until Lesnick dies of heart failure/critical glaucoma, Sandi appears with a bald head underneath a cap, because she tore it all out in a fit of psychotic rage, and CR posts a vid all coked up from the caymans and every Star Shitizen crowdfunds assassins to hunt him down, tia.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CrazyLoon posted:

Bootcha, I know it takes time to properly edit and put together, and I respect that due process entirely, but please make that last vid ASAP so I can just forget about this shithole of a thread for the next several months, until Lesnick dies of heart failure/critical glaucoma, Sandi appears with a bald head underneath a cap, because she tore it all out in a fit of psychotic rage, and CR posts a vid all coked up from the caymans and every Star Shitizen crowdfunds assassins to hunt him down, tia.

this is prolly the best thread on the forums so gently caress you

also, agreed

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

skaboomizzy posted:

It's like if everyday you sent your not-very-bright little brother to the store with $1 to bring back some gum. Day after day, week after week, month after month, he comes back empty-handed. No money, no gum, no explanations; just a big dumb smile.

Then one day, it happens. He comes back home with a handful of Bazooka gum that looks like it's been sitting in the sun since 1997. It's not even pink anymore, there's no flavor to it, and it chips two of your teeth the instant you bite down on it.

But he did it. He finally did it. He brought home some gum and he's just beaming like he won a Nobel Prize.

The 2.0 Experience, everyone.

Pages back, but I had to quote this good post.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Palladium posted:

nerds with credit cards

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLoon posted:

He already made it chief.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Get a refund.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Nicholas posted:

I'd like to formally move the CIG hate goal posts and say that the real fun begins when star citizen finally gets released an people have to come face to face with whatever still born "game" CIG manages to vibrate out the door. At some point a lot of people are going to realize that SC doesn't live up to the near the infinite potential it had in their minds, and they have nothing to show for the $1000 / $5000 / $30000 they spent on a video game.

I just don't see them officially getting out of the pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha phase even once they're for all intents "done". Once they ship they really have to stop selling handcrafted premium artisanal jpegs. That's a hard racket to give up when you've made 1/10 of a billion doing it.

Shitizens can cling onto the hope of them patching in the fun forever.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Berious posted:

I just don't see them officially getting out of the pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha phase even once they're for all intents "done". Once they ship they really have to stop selling handcrafted premium artisanal jpegs. That's a hard racket to give up when you've made 1/10 of a billion doing it.

Shitizens can cling onto the hope of them patching in the fun forever.

They gotta make money somehow after the "game" releases

Remember all the backers already get a copy of the game, so they're not gonna generate much sales from the game itself. Gotta keep selling ships

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I am here just for the :munch: and drama, and it's drat entertaining. Derek, you seem crazy in a good way, keep on doing the good work, buddy!

Loiosh, I appreciate your enthusiasm. I hope you eventually find what you're looking for. Have you ever played X3 Terran Conflict by any chance? I remember doing some passenger shuttling and other stuff you might be into. The game has some flaws all right, but it does a lot of things I like. For the record, I've played a bit of Elite: Dangerous and liked it too. Frontier are going about the business of game development the right way, and not pouring cash into mo-cap studios etc.. I would not put money into SC before I see a finished product, but if people want to throw money into ponzi-schemes and "visions", they're responsible for their own decisions. If anybody reading this realises that they are one of the whales, seek help. Invest in some therapy instead. Seriously, god drat.

By the way, it would be best if people would avoid getting into the territory of talking about sexual behaviour and marital issues here. I wouldn't care what this Sandi character does or doesn't do, it's just that women in general get slandered too much and dragged through the mud in the game industry. Not trying to white knight anybody, just be a little bit civil, that's all. This might be something awful, but goons can be goons without sinking below the navel, can't they? Well, most of them anyways. There's plenty of laughs to be had here without that poo poo.

I find this all hilarious to watch, but I hope something eventually comes out of this mess. Whatever it turns out to be, it's been good entertainment for a lot of goons at least. Cults that troll themselves unwittingly are pure gold.

Peace.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
We don't make fun of sandi because she's a woman

We make fun of her cause she's dumb as gently caress

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Romes128 posted:

She might well be, for all I know. I'm not against making fun of her or anybody else, it's just the way some goons go about it that's a bit uncool. There's just so much better material here for making fun of than speculating about who she sleeps with. I don't know. To each their own. Just posting my opinion, that's all.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

Streamers, Auditors, Bitcoin enthusiasts and the mentally ill with poor impulse control.

The same people as usual, the exact same people, giving more.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Romes128 posted:

I just make fun of her because she lacks a Y chromosome.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlightlyMad posted:

She might well be, for all I know. I'm not against making fun of her or anybody else, it's just the way some goons go about it that's a bit uncool. There's just so much better material here for making fun of than speculating about who she sleeps with. I don't know. To each their own. Just posting my opinion, that's all.

Don't be so sensitive.

What are you a woman or something

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SlightlyMad posted:

By the way, it would be best if people would avoid getting into the territory of talking about sexual behaviour and marital issues here. I wouldn't care what this Sandi character does or doesn't do, it's just that women in general get slandered too much and dragged through the mud in the game industry. Not trying to white knight anybody, just be a little bit civil, that's all. This might be something awful, but goons can be goons without sinking below the navel, can't they? Well, most of them anyways. There's plenty of laughs to be had here without that poo poo.

Honestly I was just hoping for some stupid overreaction in the same vein of "look at my diplomas", "look at all the languages i speak", "look at all these black people we have". Hopefully not in the form of "someone" getting fired but of an eye rolling increase in public demonstrations of affection or something in that vein.
These people have proved time and time again that they are easier to play than loving maracas but you have a point that maybe this is not worth the laughs.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

an eye rolling increase in public demonstrations of affection or something in that vein.

gently caress you for just making me imagine a Chris Roberts sex tape

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

Honestly I was just hoping for some stupid overreaction in the same vein of "look at my diplomas", "look at all the languages i speak", "look at all these black people we have". Hopefully not in the form of "someone" getting fired but of an eye rolling increase in public demonstrations of affection or something in that vein.
These people have proved time and time again that they are easier to play than loving maracas but you have a point that maybe this is not worth the laughs.

Whoa there buddy

How do you manage to polish that white armor without the paint chipping?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Romes128 posted:

Whoa there buddy

How do you manage to polish that white armor without the paint chipping?

Hey I'm not telling anyone else what to do, just that I won't continue doing it. These people are lolcows, no need to reach for the low hanging fruit.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

Hey I'm not telling anyone else what to do, just that I won't continue doing it. These people are lolcows, no need to reach for the low hanging fruit.

I was joking

I know shitizens are stupid as gently caress and I lol at them all the time

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why are you posting Doom 3 video in this thread?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why are you posting Doom 3 video in this thread?

It's from Star Citizen, the wonderful new game from Chris Roberts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0369q64mM8

AP fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 21, 2015

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
That Vanguard looks awesome. Good thing I got my refund because they're clearly going to nerd it and still release some better jpeg soon.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Why does it always look like the game is structurally held together with tape. I didn't know you could do that with video games. Like how does it compile and not do what it is programmed to do? Are they copy/pasting example code from the internet in places where it looks like it should go and hoping for the best?

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 21, 2015

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Can you skip the tedious "immersive" animations in this game? I would guess it would get very annoying having to wait 15 seconds everytime you get out of your ship, or up from you death bunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

everything is so jittery goddamn. bets that the headbob isnt intentional at all and just a bug that they couldn't get rid of?

• Locked thread