Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Star Citizen is held together entirely by dreams and duct tape. Maybe they can sell different jpegs of duct tape now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well technically 2.0 hasn't been released. It's only available on the PTU to a selection of all backers. I guess this whole things showcases that SC isn't a Scam and wasn't intended as a scam. (as said by Derek Smart). It's just a very expensive massively scoped (overscoped?) project. 14 companies have been founded and other financial stuff is certainly "interesting", but it's not uncommon for owners of a company to take the share of the profits they feel are appropiate.
Just in this case the earnings aren't profit.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

Star Citizen is held together entirely by dreams and duct tape. Maybe they can sell different jpegs of duct tape now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99CE7EeVAa0&t=20s

It's a lot better than I expected, I think people will be bored in a week and the project is still doomed, but it's surprising they actually managed this much.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

nerds with credit cards

Probably no-one, at this point. I stopped believing in their published numbers about one thread ago.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

AP posted:

It's a lot better than I expected, I think people will be bored in a week and the project is still doomed, but it's surprising they actually managed this much.

I think you should wait for 2.0 to be released, before you judge it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I don't know, star citizen seems to be out bethesdaing bethesda in some awesome ways that I would pay :10bux: for

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

everything is so jittery goddamn. bets that the headbob isnt intentional at all and just a bug that they couldn't get rid of?

Watch the framerates in the top left on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0369q64mM8

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

It's from Star Citizen, the wonderful new game from Chris Roberts.

You either follow the EVA procedure or your body is still attached to the ship no mater what happens. When the ship disappeared, lacking positional information from the ship controls, the arms and legs just pointed somewhere in space.

If this game ever comes out I'd say a small group of those EMP ships making a paceline from bellow could take that ship no prob.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

My expectations were so low that CIG has actually managed to surprise me. I dunno some of the videos being uploaded now actually look like a game, a game that would probably be better with zombies, but still an actual game, it's pretty odd.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

People will be bored of this testing build in a week, sure, but they flesh out the activities and add character progression in some form and this thing's got potential to be a functional video game.

It's still not going to live up to the hype of people who seem to think it's going to change their lives, but it'll be a video game and I'm not sure it'll be a particularly bad one. Not one that does anything too impressive but still, it looks like he's managed to make a video game.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm starting to feel we were unkind to Karl, this game does look pretty awesome.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

AP posted:

That's some sweet space reverb on that gunfire.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tokamak posted:

That's some sweet space reverb on that gunfire.

It's a bit of a shame they didn't try to make gunfire in the vacuum of space sound less like you're shooting in a hallway but I dunno if they're planning on changing stuff like that later.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

AP posted:

Your expectations must have nothing but a swift breeze on a morning day, because that's absolutely awful.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

MeLKoR posted:

I'm starting to feel we were unkind to Karl, this game does look pretty awesome.

Yeah if you punch yourself in the head enough times and then snort a shitload of glue it really starts to look incredible.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

"Pre-ordering and buggy alpha versions are ruining PC video games!"

"Star Citizen is saving PV video games!"

This is all too ironic for me people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ShredsYouSay posted:

Can you skip the tedious "immersive" animations in this game? I would guess it would get very annoying having to wait 15 seconds everytime you get out of your ship, or up from you death bunk.

GROUNDHOG BUNK TOOK TWO YEARS TO PERFECT YOU PHILISTINE!

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 21, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The parts of the star citizen threads when people are complimentary towards anything involved in star citizen are the worst parts.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

AP posted:

4-8fps at some points in the vid. I love this bit best:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Let's not get carried away, Karl has spent at least $5k and was telling us he'd not spent anything while acting as a shill for CIG. There's no way that's not hosed up behaviour.

There's now a slim possibly that someday you might get to pay $30 to headshot someone who's spent $2500 on an in game space yacht and steal it. That and a free SQ42 movie. They still have 100+ ships to put into the form of a real game and a ton of other issues to solve.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AP posted:

Let's not get carried away, Karl has spent at least $5k and was telling us he'd not spent anything while acting as a shill for CIG. There's no way that's not hosed up behaviour.

There's now a slim possibly that someday you might get to pay $30 to headshot someone who's spent $2500 on an in game space yacht and steal it. That and a free SQ42 movie. They still have 100+ ships to put into the form of a real game and a ton of other issues to solve.

the caterpillar, the very first stretch goal ship, still isn't ingame lmao

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The parts of the star citizen threads when people are complimentary towards anything involved in star citizen are the worst parts.

A lot of folks still really hope that CIG somehow accidentally crosses the finish line on this and produces an emergent spaceship experience.

The problem is I'm sure we're well past "fool me twice, shame on me" and into "fool me twenty times, but I'm still hopeful."

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokZ posted:

Your expectations must have nothing but a swift breeze on a morning day, because that's absolutely awful.

I'm not sure I can put into words how low my expectations were.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Vire posted:

Like for real Derick was pretty wrong about 2.0 not having gun play and stuff.

I never said anything of the sort. Below are all my statements about 2.0 before and after the release.

2.0 predictions (11/02/15)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=177#post452235393

2.0 revelations (11/19/15)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=164480&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post452938475

2.0 jittering tech theory (11/20/15)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=164480&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post452967428

2.0 invite (1000 people) email (11/19/15)

quote:

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 PTU: Crusader Playtest Invite

Greetings everyone, we hope you are having a fantastic week and we have big news for you!

If you are receiving this email, you have been specifically invited to the Public Test Universe (PTU) to playtest Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 which features the very first elements of the Persistent Universe in the form of the gas giant Crusader and surrounding areas. These locations include Port Olisar transit station, Covalex Shipping Hub, Security Post Kareah and many scenic asteroid fields, comms arrays and research satellites that our team has been hard at work on.

This also includes our new Avenger variants, the first iteration on FPS, Multicrew technology, interior physics grid, quantum travel, IFCS, EVA, missions, and so much more. As we want to stress test the new content, we’ve disabled Arena Commander and ArcCorp for the time being.

Yep... this is a pretty awesome time in creating the BDSSE and we’re excited to have you onboard for helping us playtest this with us!!

· You’ll access Crusader on the same console you did for ArcCorp.
· If you load into Arena Commander, you will be stuck on searching for a match screen till the player hits cancel.
· If you load ArcCorp Area 18 you return an error message "All instances are full" and the player won’t get in!

This is the foundation to the Persistent Universe, and we're extremely proud of this major milestone in building the BDSSE!

Star Citizen 2.0 Crusader Full Patch Notes: https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com/...tizen-Alpha-200

Star Citizen 2.0 Crusader Issue Council for Player Feedback and Bug Reports: https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com/...y/issue-council

PTU Playtest Voice and Text Chat (via Discord):
https://discord.gg/0dOJaNbubQjbqLBJ

Step-by-Step Instructions:

1) Start the Star Citizen Launcher and log in.
2) Click the gear cog on the top right of the Launcher. The Options menu will pop up and you can see that you have PTU access (only selected accounts will have this option).
3) Click Copy Account to enable your account on PTU.
4) Click the PTU tab on the Launcher to start the download.
5) This also sends an email containing a PTU specific password to your registered email address. You do NOT need this to log into the Launcher, but you will need it to log into https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com to provide bug reports and feedback.
6) After launching the game, users now load into the Main Menu rather than going directly to Hangar. You have the option from the menu to “Go to Hangar” and “Electronic Access”.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Each 2.0 zone will allow up to 40 players but only 16 ships.
Remember: You WILL need your special PTU password sent to you in email to access the PTU Issue Council and Patch Notes:

Note: We’re trusting players not to share the Discord invite!

Accessing Star Citizen 2.0 Crusader:

After launching Star Citizen and loading into your hangar, locate the large hangar bay doors (typically located behind where you spawn in; it’s below where you spawn in the case of the Deluxe hangar). Go through the hangar bay doors and locate the elevator. Interact with the panel to select Port Olisar (located in the Crusader system) as your destination and press ‘Launch’.

Terminals on Port Olisar are available courtesy of Crusader Industries, to allow pilots to request flight-ready ships for delivery at one of Port Olisars convenient landing pads.
The ships provided at the terminals will have a default loadout for the ship, and any changes made at the Hangar holotable will NOT be reflected.
Ships requested via the terminal are locked to the person who summoned the ship, for approximately eight minutes, after which they are considered abandoned and can be piloted by anyone. Abandoned ships will eventually despawn.
This is not how the functionality will work long term, and is temporary for the purposes of testing.

There are many locations in the surrounding Crusader space to be discovered and explored, including Covalex Shipping Hub, Cry-Astro Service Station and others.
However not all locations available for exploration are immediately shown in your Quantum Travel navigation points. Try repairing Comm Arrays or roaming the map via Quantum Travel to see what you may find!

Port Olisar is an Armistice Zone. All weapons are disabled while in the zone, and pilots will need to leave the area to settle disputes or seek adventure.

The first iteration on Quantum Travel is now available for testing in Crusader.
It has been activated for all currently flyable ships except the P-52 Merlin, which is a fighter and is not intended to be capable of independent Quantum Travel.
Quantum Travel can be enabled with the "B" key on the keyboard by default. The default keybindings are "Left Tumbler+Left DPad" on the Gamepad, and "Button 12" on the Joystick.
Once enabled, you can rotate your ship until you have a local Navigation Point highlighted. The highlighted navigation point will have a large circle around it in the HUD.
Once you have the Point of Interest highlighted, press the middle mouse button, to enter Quantum Travel to that destination. The default keybinding is "Y" on the Gamepad and "Button 4" on the Joystick.
If an object exists in the path between the ship and the selected destination, the Nav point will warn that the target is "Obstructed".
You cannot eject or self-destruct while in Quantum Travel. This is intended.

Fuel mechanics are also in place.
When you activate Quantum Travel mode, the Nav points will indicate how much fuel it will take to reach that destination, as a % of your remaining fuel.
Quantum Travel will let you transit even if you have insufficient fuel to reach the destination, however it will only take you as far as your fuel allows.
Keep that and the location of the nearest refuel point in mind when planning to Quantum Travel.
Quantum Fuel available is listed in the bottom-right of the center HUD for most ships.

Cry-Astro Service Station 042 provides repair, refuel and restock to ships in Crusader space.
This includes reloading missiles, ballistic ammo and fuel for Quantum drives.

Weapons, Ammo and MediPens for healing needs are also available to be found on some stations, including the Behring P4-AR.

Pirates have been known to roam and harass honest citizens exploring Crusader space. Wise pilots should be on their guard.

Approaching the atmosphere of a planet too closely will result in your ship receiving a warning, and if you continue flying toward it for too long, your ship will begin to rattle apart and be destroyed.
This is not how the functionality will work long term, and is temporary for the purposes of testing.

MobiGlas is now active, and can be accessed via "F9" hotkey.
The only applications currently usable are the Scheduler and Journal, which allow you to read and view the status of Missions as you receive them during gameplay.
This can be accessed all around the planetary zone, in EVA, and while in a space craft.
Viewing the MobiGlas UI while on-ship dims both the ship UI and visor to allow the MobiGlas UI to be visible.

Our first set of missions are now available around Crusader for players to test!
The first one is to repair the Comms Arrays in orbit around Crusader, which will allow other missions to be discovered.
You can track missions via the MobiGlas Journal application, by clicking on the yellow hexagon icon next to the entry for that mission.
Missions are generated and offered at-random, and some are much rarer then others.

We sincerely thank you for your participation and hope to see you in the (PT)’Verse!

-WL
The Cloud Imperium Games Team

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

fuctifino posted:

4-8fps at some points in the vid. I love this bit best:

Linda Blair in space?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

mdxi posted:

D_Smart and Nicholas Vining know each other? How close were we to having Derek Smart's Dungeons of Dredmor 3000?

NIck worked for me for several years as a gamedev and directly reported to me. I considered him a protege. He's brilliant; has great upbringing, is well grounded, sharp as a whip - and has an infection sense of humor (seriously, some of his code comments were truly hilarious, and I still have them in the code). Love that guy. He left to go back to college and complete his degree. When he was finished, he felt it was time to start his own thing. And he did.

So yeah, if he's commenting on my theory regarding the 2.0 jitters, it's because he's well familiar with my game code (he had to work with legacy code as part of his tasking) and how I solved that particular problem.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

CrazyLoon posted:

Bootcha, I know it takes time to properly edit and put together, and I respect that due process entirely, but please make that last vid ASAP so I can just forget about this shithole of a thread for the next several months, until Lesnick dies of heart failure/critical glaucoma, Sandi appears with a bald head underneath a cap, because she tore it all out in a fit of psychotic rage, and CR posts a vid all coked up from the caymans and every Star Shitizen crowdfunds assassins to hunt him down, tia.

He's already taking a break himself. He's enjoying a bit of peace and quiet and ignoring the gradually-increasingly-creepy Redditors.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

AP posted:

It's jittery as gently caress. The player's limbs move lightning fast. Everything has a slight jitter, the colors and lighting are bland, and it continues to look like the game is fighting itself to work.

There are a lot of hacked-in things just to make this work. I have the feeling that 2.0 is full of smoke and mirrors to look like something it isn't.

For example, going from one place to another looks more like Eve's jump animation that masks the system loading.

The flight model of the ships appear to be a globally-applied rudimentary basic framework instead of the touted ones based off of thruster output.

The FPS being non-functional anywhere but the single area, it looks like they need to load a special instance to have it work.

This is just a few things I noticed. I have no desire to play this game still- and compared to E:D, SC is so far behind there's no way it'll catch up. I have a feeling that Braben will have multicrew, avatars, and FPS before this game even makes pre-beta.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizens can't read:

Yeah, they're morons. I don't go to that sub-Red and don't even read it unless I see something here or someone DM's something.

I tweeted this: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/667829523287642112

Then followed by this chaser: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/667831032742199296

quote:

Word of warning. If you think my theory is about memory, congratulations, you're a loving idiot.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

D_Smart posted:

I never said anything of the sort. Below are all my statements about 2.0 before and after the release.

I'm not sorry to be a smart-rear end. Actually not sorry. But 2.0 hasn't been released yet. It's on the PTU (Private Test Unit?) for select backers (couple of thousands). That's a similar state as big patches for War Thunder. Which go onto a pre-release testing on a seperate server. At least technically 2.0 hasn't been released yet (I'm a horrible jerk).
Though it certainly was "sold" as release.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

OhDearGodNo posted:

For example, going from one place to another looks more like Eve's jump animation that masks the system loading.

I want to see what happens if someone tries to fly directly to the nearest space station or whatever

without using warp

I bet they either crash or bump into an invisible wall(then crash)

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

AP posted:

Dude has SLI 980s and rarely cracks 30 FPS. I bet that thing about picking the best bug reporters was a load of bull and they just selected the people with monster hardware. Going to be funny when it's in the hands of everyday plebs.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Berious posted:

Dude has SLI 980s and rarely cracks 30 FPS. I bet that thing about picking the best bug reporters was a load of bull and they just selected the people with monster hardware. Going to be funny when it's in the hands of everyday plebs.

Well, it is running at a 4k res, I dunno how much of an impact that is.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

It's not just that. I feel like we've been played for fools by everyone. D_Smart has obviously been pulling everything out of his rear end but what really hurt was that CIG released buggy poo poo on purpose so we would laugh and go all :smug: and then they were like "oh sorry, we forgot this little patch" and :boom: awesome game.

I felt like a kitten being stepped on by Ben's wife in high heels. :negative:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

It's from Star Citizen, the wonderful new game from Chris Roberts.

That flickering you're seeing is called Z-fighting btw. And it's exactly the sort of precision issues that going to 64-Bit positioning was supposed to fix. Which is why I stand firm on my
theory that they didn't do it.

And it exists in a $95m game that's four years in development. Go figure.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well technically 2.0 hasn't been released. It's only available on the PTU to a selection of all backers. I guess this whole things showcases that SC isn't a Scam and wasn't intended as a scam. (as said by Derek Smart). It's just a very expensive massively scoped (overscoped?) project. 14 companies have been founded and other financial stuff is certainly "interesting", but it's not uncommon for owners of a company to take the share of the profits they feel are appropiate.
Just in this case the earnings aren't profit.

I have never said that it was a "scam". I said that it was a long con due to how they've handled it. There is a difference.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tank Boy Ken posted:

No. That's not how that works.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

People will be bored of this testing build in a week, sure, but they flesh out the activities and add character progression in some form and this thing's got potential to be a functional video game.

It's still not going to live up to the hype of people who seem to think it's going to change their lives, but it'll be a video game and I'm not sure it'll be a particularly bad one. Not one that does anything too impressive but still, it looks like he's managed to make a video game.

It won't. I don't believe - for one second - that they can pull it off as promised.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

That flickering you're seeing is called Z-fighting btw. And it's exactly the sort of precision issues that going to 64-Bit positioning was supposed to fix. Which is why I stand firm on my
theory that they didn't do it.

And it exists in a $95m game that's four years in development. Go figure.

Any examples you can share regarding the 32 * 2 bit versus pure 64? Tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

We weren't yelling at Karl because of the game. We were yelling at Karl because he's a loving idiot.

And the game always looked awesome. Graphics aren't everything. There is no "game" yet.

• Locked thread