Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The Wirecutter took a look at prepaid cell service and came up liking Consumer Cellular, which I hadn't previously heard of. Anyone tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

cbirdsong posted:

The Wirecutter took a look at prepaid cell service and came up liking Consumer Cellular, which I hadn't previously heard of. Anyone tried it?

They are heavily oriented toward seniors, and the goon age range skews young.
You have to get both a voice package and a data package, which adds up quickly.

Cricket:
unlimited talk&text, 2.5GB data: $35/month
unlimited talk&text, 5.0GB data: $45/month

Consumer Cellular:
750 minutes talk, unlimited text, 1.5GB data: $40/month
750 minutes talk, unlimited text, 3.0GB data: $50/month
750 minutes talk, unlimited text, 4.0GB data: $60/month

Even if you consider hotspot an important, you just add $10/month to the cricket plans and they're still a better deal.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rastor posted:

Even if you consider hotspot an important, you just add $10/month to the cricket plans and they're still a better deal.

As I found out, the tethering option is only applicable towards phones you purchase through Cricket, and then only a few select models.

Most of us our doing a BOYD so that doesn't work out so well.

I had to root my new 5x :(

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://youtu.be/grbSQ6O6kbs

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lmao, I meant BYOD.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does Cricket have activation fees if you do everything online? Looking to set up a family plan with four lines, and I'm probably blind/dumb but I can't find any information on the activation fees.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does Cricket have activation fees if you do everything online? Looking to set up a family plan with four lines, and I'm probably blind/dumb but I can't find any information on the activation fees.

IIRC, they don't. However, one of their fraud prevention methods is that you can't open more than one line at a time online, I think. You have to activate and then add one at a time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FAUXTON posted:

IIRC, they don't. However, one of their fraud prevention methods is that you can't open more than one line at a time online, I think. You have to activate and then add one at a time.

I thought they got rid of this a few months ago?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I thought they got rid of this a few months ago?

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/account-management/add-a-line-of-service/customer/common-questions.html

Still there as follows:

quote:

How do I add Group Save lines?

When you buy online, you can only order one line per transaction. You can order more lines once you receive your new device or SIM card and activate it. If you go to a store, you can add more than one line at a time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

So I have to order one, wait a week, order another one etc? :psyduck:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So I have to order one, wait a week, order another one etc? :psyduck:

No, just 4 separate orders

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Ringplus open up one of its free plan again (1200m/1200txt/1200MB/$0). It happens every other weeks nowadays. And since I am a sucker for hilarious weird prepaid plans, I decided to activate 2 Boost Mobile Rush on it. I was wrong regarding the last promotion. It's just $12 per line for activation, after tax it's $14.85. The money acts as top up/deposit, and you can reuse it in the future for new plan deposit.

If Ring+'s data counter is working properly (unlike those freedompop random counters), in theory I just need 4-6 phones to go through the whole month without paying any monthly cost.

I also ordered a Boost LG Volt (1GB/8GB/4.7" 960x540/4.4) for $40. I don't even know if it will work on Ring+. But hacking VMNO is my favorite part of using prepaid service. Guess I ll find out.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
That plan (with 1200 minutes) would be a nice compliment to the T-Mobile nerd plan. I've never had CDMA service before, what's the least-crap cheap phone that works with it? The 2013 Moto G? (It looks like there'e supposed to be a 2015 CDMA Moto G but it's not out yet.) Do phones have to be previously activated on Sprint before I can use them with RingPlus+?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 2013 CDMA Moto G doesn't have LTE, so it's effectively useless as a smartphone on Sprint.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

The 2013 CDMA Moto G doesn't have LTE, so it's effectively useless as a smartphone on Sprint.

:barf: Oh, the page on the RingPlus+ store said it had 4G LTE. What's my best option besides waiting for the 2015 Moto G variant? Or is that my best option?

Edit: the store page for the Moto G on RingPlus's site is weird, it says 4G LTE and links to a CNet review of the 2015 variant but all the other specs (and the stock image) are for the 2013 version. Also :lol: they are selling some ancient devices on there too, like the Motorola Photon Q (the Sprint variant of the Droid 4) and the HTC Evo 4G which they describe as having a "responsive Android build" (it's a loving Gingerbread device, there's nothing "responsive" about it).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 21, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just grab a ESN and activate a line first. You can swap out phone later for 2 dollar fee. If you can't use any of the ESN code on the slickdeal thread first post, I can hook you up with a ESN.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm on Straight Talk right now, but I'm thinking of maybe switching when I get a new phone (probably Nexus) in about a month.

I was kind of looking at Ting and Fi, but I'm worried about being able to get service around here (way Northern California). Their coverage maps say I'm good, but when I tried T-Moble about a year back my house turned out to be a total dead zone. I like the idea of adjusting the plan to fit my usage, though.

If those won't work for me, I guess that leaves Cricket? What would be the advantage of switching to Cricket if Straight Talk + BYOP is already working ok for me?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

whatever7 posted:

Just grab a ESN and activate a line first. You can swap out phone later for 2 dollar fee. If you can't use any of the ESN code on the slickdeal thread first post, I can hook you up with a ESN.

OK, let me make sure I have this straight. I can just use any ESN that passes their test to activate a line then I can buy, e.g., a Boost Mobile Moto E (like the one Target will be selling for $30 on Black Friday) and transfer the line over to that? It looks like they're also waiving their ESN transfer fee on BF so that will work out nicely. Also, could you link or PM me the thread you mentioned? I can't find it and the layout of Sickdeals is giving me a headache.

Edit: found a working ESN, thanks!

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 21, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr.Radar posted:

OK, let me make sure I have this straight. I can just use any ESN that passes their test to activate a line then I can buy, e.g., a Boost Mobile Moto E (like the one Target will be selling for $30 on Black Friday) and transfer the line over to that? It looks like they're also waiving their ESN transfer fee on BF so that will work out nicely. Also, could you link or PM me the thread you mentioned? I can't find it and the layout of Sickdeals is giving me a headache.

Edit: found a working ESN, thanks!

That's correct. Just use a dummy ESN to squat a spot first.

I just tried hotspot function on both factory Rush, both worked right out of box. No rooting no flashing required. drat son.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 22, 2015

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I currently have 2 lines with Verizon and am looking to cut down on my bill. Top choice at the moment is the Cricket 5GB plan. I kind of want the ability to hotspot, not sure if that makes Cricket worse than one of the alternatives. My wife has an iPhone 5S which I think I can just make sure gets unlocked and then switch no problem, but I have a Droid Maxx so I would need to get a new phone. I am probably going to get a Moto X Pure or Nexus 6P eventually but in the meantime I was looking at the low end phones Cricket is offering for free after rebate.

Are there other carriers I should be considering? Is something like the Moto E worth getting for a month or two while I figure out what other phone I want?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

hitachi posted:

I currently have 2 lines with Verizon and am looking to cut down on my bill. Top choice at the moment is the Cricket 5GB plan. I kind of want the ability to hotspot, not sure if that makes Cricket worse than one of the alternatives. My wife has an iPhone 5S which I think I can just make sure gets unlocked and then switch no problem, but I have a Droid Maxx so I would need to get a new phone. I am probably going to get a Moto X Pure or Nexus 6P eventually but in the meantime I was looking at the low end phones Cricket is offering for free after rebate.

Are there other carriers I should be considering? Is something like the Moto E worth getting for a month or two while I figure out what other phone I want?

Random points: Root your phone and you can hotspot/tether on almost any service except when Verizon goes ridiculously illegal and keeps finding new ways to block it after every court decision telling them to stop, FoxFi/PDANet rules. I don't think there's anything especially locking your Droid Maxx, and as of ~February the carriers are legally required to unlock phones. Cricket (and other MVNO-type-services) will unlock pretty much anything that can be unlocked. The Moto E/G are amazing phones. Really good for the price, easily rooted, I'm running Cyanogen. Lovely experience all around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hitachi posted:

Both of your phones should be GSM and LTE unlocked already. The iPhone shouldn't take more than a SIM swap since to work. It looks like the Droid is lacking one of the AT&T LTE frequencies, though. It'll still get 3G and some LTE, which might be good enough, depending on area.

Cricket only allows using hotspots on certain phones, I believe.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All Verizon phone released in the last 3-4 years are all GSM unlocked (a little consession Vzn made with FTC for being a monopoly). The iPhones have fully working LTE frequencies on ATT and TMobile. Other phones may have missing LTE frequencies and may work on HSDAP only. Me personally haven't noticed a real world difference between HSDAP and LTE in new york.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Alright thanks for all the info. Think I am just going to give it a try. Anyone have a referral code? Don't need it right away I guess, still need to order the SIMs.

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse

hitachi posted:

Alright thanks for all the info. Think I am just going to give it a try. Anyone have a referral code? Don't need it right away I guess, still need to order the SIMs.

E: Oops, jumped the gun.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Black Friday deals:

Cricket has $100 rebate for port in a line again. Sadly no more rebates for individual Moto phones. So if you want to port your number to TMobile payg for a few days, and port back you can. You can also port number in and out of google voice now.

Ringplus will have the free plans open from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. Nothing too good, but you can get the 1500/1500/1500 plan for q time charge $15. Alot of non Sprint iPhones are allowed now. So if you have a wife who is a rabid iPhone user, you can use a Verizon iPhone 5/5c/5s/Nexus5 , or any iPhone 6/Nexus 6 from Vzn/ATT/TMo on it as well. Vzn phones are great since they are all GSM unlocked. Maybe not as easy to flash as official GSM versions but thats about it.

Boost Mobile usually has really good phone deals on their website during BF morning. I don't know if they will do it this year. The $40 LG Volt from Best Buy is a very good deal. Its got 3000 mah battery and not a midget phone.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 25, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cricket Galaxy S6 for 250, drat!

Cyber Monday Offer
Valid 11/30 – 12/3
(while supplies last)
Grab a Samsung Galaxy S4, S5, & S6 for 50% off with activation on a smartphone plan

Pricing includes:
• Samsung Galaxy S4: $99.99 (originally $199.99)
• Samsung Galaxy S5: $199.99(originally $399.99)
• Samsung Galaxy S6: $249.99 (originally $499.99)

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20295&item=122533

Ok somebody give me an referral.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

https://refer.cricketwireless.com/6pWOdlR

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Republic's new software update finally allows mobile hotspot, usb tethering and bluetooth tethering... if your phone is running Lollipop. So basically everyone except us first-gen Moto X bagholders.
https://community.republicwireless.com/docs/DOC-2599

However, there's hope on the horizon, and if all goes well, they'll be rolling out Android 5.1 to the first-gen Moto X in early January:
https://community.republicwireless.com/blogs/republic

Tethering is the only thing I've been missing since I went to Republic a year or so ago, so this makes me happy.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone actually gotten an invite to the new Harbor Mobile?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have an AT&T LG G3 (D850) that is carrier unlocked. Will it definitely work on MetroPCS? They supposedly use T-Mobile towers, which would mean I need LTE 2, 4 and 12 and GSM 700, 1700, 1900 MHz? But the phone only has some of those listed so I'm not sure how to interpret that.

ssspy007
Aug 5, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

I have an AT&T LG G3 (D850) that is carrier unlocked. Will it definitely work on MetroPCS? They supposedly use T-Mobile towers, which would mean I need LTE 2, 4 and 12 and GSM 700, 1700, 1900 MHz? But the phone only has some of those listed so I'm not sure how to interpret that.

http://www.willmyphonework.net/ Says it should work but you will not get all of TMobile's bands with that phone unfortunately. 2G: 1900MHz 3G: 1900MHz 4G LTE:Band4-AWS, Band2-1900MH. So it depends on where you are using it on if that really matters.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For people who are keeping the score at home, a little update on Ringplus free plans.

So I restarted a couple R+ account last month, the lines are more than 1 month old. So far I found the data counter to be accurate and I haven't encountered any hidden charge. One of my account went over the allotted free data they just charge me 5 cents for each extra MB (not 2 cent/MB).

I think I will be able get a few more month maybe even a year of free service out of these plans, I got a free Sprint sim from Apple store and I am going to move my wife's iPhone to R+'s free plan as well. I actually found Sprint has better data coverage than TMobile nowadays in NYC.

For people who doesn't have any Sprint eligible phone at all and want to try R+, I recommend the Boost Mobile ZTE Warp Sync. It's the only cheap phone you can get with 2GB RAM, it makes a noticeable difference. You can still get one on ebay for around 40. It's rootable.
Make sure it comes with the original Sprint sim card, you need it for activation.

As for me, I want to keep a phone that can switch between Sprint or TMobile network at a moment of notice, that means the only options are iPhone 5s/5c/6/6s/Nexus5/5x/6/6p/Moto X Pure Edition. I was going to get the Pure Edition but I found out yesterday you can sim unlock a Sprint LG G4 yourself. It's a much flxible and cheaper option.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

A sad day. For the first time in the 15 months I've been on Cricket, I hit the 10GB high speed data limit 3 days before my next billing cycle. This sucks.

I'm kind of surprised really, I don't know how it happened. Maybe because I got a new Nexus 6 I was unknowingly splurging with my video watching...?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
If I buy a Cricket activation kit online from Walmart will I still have to go anywhere for activation or something?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Kraps posted:

If I buy a Cricket activation kit online from Walmart will I still have to go anywhere for activation or something?

No. You should be able to activate online without an issue.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Can someone walk me through porting a number to Ring.to in order to get it to Cricket? Apparently Republic Wireless numbers are considered "wireline" and Cricket doesn't port those.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Just port to Google Voice, that's what I've always used as an intermediary service. There's a $20 fee, but the ports have always been instant and I've been able to port off immediately. Done this to switch between T-mobile postpaid and prepaid twice.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

tonic posted:

Just port to Google Voice, that's what I've always used as an intermediary service. There's a $20 fee, but the ports have always been instant and I've been able to port off immediately. Done this to switch between T-mobile postpaid and prepaid twice.

It went to know if he is pretty high. I don't know why he doesn't just port to T mobile and then to his intended carrier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Has anyone else had their Cricket cycle reset like 10 days earlier then it's supposed to? I'd call but I've heard their customer service is a super pain and I haven't really had any problems otherwise