Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1x1 to 1x13

I think what is so disturbing about the show is the sheer banality of the horror of Kilgrave's mind control. After the first few episodes it seems you can't go more than ten minutes without seeing another example of how Kilgrave has completely hosed up somebody's life. Kilgrave doesn't think about the consequences of controlling someone but the show does and explores them to the full extent. I'm talking about moments like the dad being charged with child abandonment or the image of a room of scientists working while they poo poo themselves or Trish still trying to shove a bullet through her forehead. And then there's Tennant's casual performance, he makes people do incredibly horrific things with as much thought as ordering food at a restaurant and all of this poo poo just keeps on going. The show doesn't let up once until the end, it's rough as hell to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Kilgrave is incredibly terrifying.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hollismason posted:

Yea, and because our heroes have physical powers, but Kilgrave's are mental, and acts through innocents, they have to figure out other ways to fight him.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I thought the first four episodes were very hit and miss.I'm guessing episode 5+ is where they hit their stride and figured out a way to blend the super hero stuff into the serious drama - every episode since then has been excellent and also a mind gently caress.

I'm seriously considering breaking out the coffee and cigarettes and staying up late to binge the rest of the series.

Hollismason posted:

gently caress yes

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I can't stop watching. Episode 11 :tviv:

loving NUKE!!! that's so crazy they worked him into the show. It totally took me by surprise

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
1x7
Jessica's Michael Jackson impression at 16:12

Also this show is really good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really hope we see Hogarth make it into the Iron Fist series. I wanna see how she deals with a good-natured, well-meaning character who cracks jokes and is slightly immature.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Episode 8, jeez finally some light hearted funny stuff.

Edit: now I feel weird saying that because they just blurted out loud that Kilgrave raped Jessica

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Send help, trapped in a Jessica Jones episode factory and can't get out.

The help I'd like you to send is more snacks, because I'm pretty loving happy about my current situation otherwise.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Hollismason posted:

I can't stop watching. Episode 11 :tviv:

loving NUKE!!! that's so crazy they worked him into the show. It totally took me by surprise

ep11

And he was such a nice Captain America lookalike boyfriend.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
End of series thoughts.

It's an excellent show. I don't think it's as good as it could have been though. It's definitely not as tight as Daredevil was, and even Daredevil wasn't without some missteps.

Ultimately I don't think the Kilgrave plot, as intense as it was, was strong enough to sustain thirteen episodes of this show on a near-continuous basis. There was a lot of bloat near the midpoint (the whole Jessica lives with him and takes him out superheroing thing was...what even was that?) and by episode eleven or twelves I felt as if even the show was like: "Oh are we still doing this? Are we still on this one single thing? Wow okay just give us a second to sort out our poo poo."

Luke Cage was great. Trish Walker was great. I thought the Nuke thing felt kinda extraneous and forced -- first he's just some random cop, then he's Trish's fling, then he's some kind of trigger-happy black ops guy, then the whole sci-fi pills thing -- but I at least appreciate that it set up something non-Kilgrave-related and will be leading to more things in the future.

It's still one of the most powerful shows I've ever watched and most other programs out there can only dream of being as powerful. But to be absolutely honest I'm not really that hyped about it, even disregarding that it's goddamn dark and depressing at points.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jesus, can we please stop with Robyn. Please.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
1x5

I enjoyed seeing the plans to catch Kilgrave be made and executed almost as much as Kilgrave having made plans of his own to counter them. It's refreshing to see the characters discuss things rationally instead of just rushing into some half assed plan that makes you go 'Why Don't You Just...!'. Kilgrave getting a security detail and Patsy a self defense trainer is way more then usually is done by people who have plenty of means to get protection but never do so. When cop guy nearly killed Patsy it seemed a bit over the top to prove she could not defend herself no matter what but learning later the cop was a very well trained operator put that into perspective.

Also, pre-Kilgrave Jessica was Chloe from DTTB, getting a job to get dirt on some rear end in a top hat, get six months severance pay and a glowing review is just what she'd do.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

This show is really good but yes, the complaints about the shooting of the fight scenes are valid, especially when the rest of the show is shot so drat well.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Comments from S01E09 --

Jessica's not a bad match for Kilgrave. All this collateral damage from keeping an active serial killer alive to save the one life she feels guilty about?

And oh my god stop stringing Hogarth along! She needs a god drat PI right god damned now

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Accretionist posted:

Comments from S01E09 --

Jessica's not a bad match for Kilgrave. All this collateral damage from keeping an active serial killer alive to save the one life she feels guilty about?

And oh my god stop stringing Hogarth along! She needs a god drat PI right god damned now

Up to Episode 9:

She's not capable of murdering him. One of her many traumas is the murder of Lukes wife, which she blames on herself.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

adhuin posted:

Up to Episode 9:

She's not capable of murdering him. One of her many traumas is the murder of Lukes wife, which she blames on herself.

Yea but she actively prevents others from killing him like Simpson.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The show's kinda okayish (halfway through 1x09 now), Tennant's by far my favorite in all this. Dude's acting is pretty amazing in this. Colter's also perfect as Cage.

Though everyone else doesn't really stick to me. I'm not really sure what Carrie-Anne Moss is even doing in this, feels like you could cut out her character and nothing would be really lost. Though maybe the whole thing will still come together in the end.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

adhuin posted:

Up to Episode 9:

Yeah but she saves his life a whole bunch of times, too

I just finished episode 9 and it's officially tragi-comic*. I now actually think of her as kind of a bad guy

Edit: * Episode 10: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeup.

Episode 11: Lo, a purple jacket! Gallumphing into the road I go! Hark, a truck! *pow*

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 21, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

1x06 Kilgrave peeling back the wallpaper :gonk:

I am really enjoying the show so far - it's very different from Daredevil which is nice, it somehow feels more grounded despite the more overt use of powers. I do kinda dig that Jessica's fighting style is essentially just,"I'm really loving strong so I'm just gonna shove thugs outta the way" as opposed to looking like she's actually trained in some kind of martial arts

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The TV IV › Netflix Marvel: Jessica Jones The War On Doors

twistedmentat posted:

Holy poo poo 1x13 I figure purple dad was just playing along with Kilgrave, as the vaccine he created worked, but was still doing what he said looking for a moment to betray him. Guess it didn't matter

Re: action shots not being as good as DD, I think that's because this is a detective show, while Daredevil was an action show. Cage and Jess are brawlers, not super Ninjas like Matt.

No, it worked for a couple seconds and then it failed. The actor did a great job selling a "Yay, it's working!" look to Jessica followed shortly by a "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK" look when he was compelled to follow orders.

1X13
Overall it was pretty good, but the Lawyer and Simpson plots really felt like they were mostly there as padding. Yes the Lawyer provides legal resources and an amoral rear end to grease some plot wheels. And yes Simpson is clearly there to set up Season 2. But like half their poo poo could have been cut out and it would have been just fine.

Also the support group was good until the superfluous crazy girl up stairs somehow talked them into jumping Jessica. Malcolm just inexplicably let her gently caress with his head there too.

While it was indeed dark, I fear my soul may be broken since I didn't have a hard time at all binge watching a bunch of episodes unlike others. Even though poo poo just keeps going horribly, there's still an underlining positivity that runs through it all. It's a twisted, sarcastic vein of positivity, but it's there.

Surprised no one put Jessica's slight healing factor together with her apparently near record stay with Killgrave together to explain her immunity once it was revealed it was a virus.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm really struggling to describe my feelings about this show, because its something that I feel is at best okay but for some reason I'm just completely gripped by it. And David Tennant makes an absolutely incredible villain too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The TV IV › Netflix Marvel: Jessica Jones "poo poo!"

Does Netflix limit the number of times certain swears can be said? Because it kind felt like it, with someone saying, "poo poo..." almost every other scene.

Gyges posted:

Episode 13
While it was indeed dark, I fear my soul may be broken since I didn't have a hard time at all binge watching a bunch of episodes unlike others. Even though poo poo just keeps going horribly, there's still an underlining positivity that runs through it all. It's a twisted, sarcastic vein of positivity, but it's there.

Right there with you on that one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just finished; I enjoyed this more than I enjoyed Daredevil, but I thought there were two obvious contrivances: Jeryn cutting the power lines, and the crazy girl who formed a lynch mob both felt like really forced ways to get Kilgrave out of a tight spot. That notwithstanding though, I was tense almost the whole way through and found myself engaged more than I was with Daredevil. I did feel that the finale wasn't cathartic enough as by the end of it I really wanted to see Kilgrave squirm in his pants a lot longer as he realized that he was totally hosed.

Comics talk: I think the strongest change they made from the comic was Jessica simply overcoming his control with her willpower; I think that's more empowering. In the comic, it never sat right with me that the solution to her problem was Jean Grey ex machina installing a psychic safeguard.

PantsBandit posted:

Is there some reason why they can't use the actual names of the avengers on these shows? I don't remember how it was on Daredevil, but in JJ it's always "the green guy" or "flag waver". It's all Marvel, why wouldn't they just say the Hulk and Captain America?

The only references in Daredevil were to the Incident, and also Wesley making a crack about finding an iron suit or magic hammer. I doubt there's any real reason for it other than to make it feel more separate from the MCU so as to make it seem more grounded. Which I realize is a silly thing to say when there's a lot of talk early on about superpowered individuals and an alien invasion.

Edit: One downside to the looser connection is that they didn't get to nab this panel from the comic.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 21, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm really struggling to describe my feelings about this show, because its something that I feel is at best okay but for some reason I'm just completely gripped by it.

...a Marvel product? :v:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

I honestly think Kilgrave is the scariest villain in any comic book adaptation I've ever seen. Tennant's portrayal eclipses Ledger's Joker for me. He's such an evil, awful person. Joker was scary in a...cinematic way I guess? Kilgrave is just an insidious, monstrous person given the worst possible power he could have been given.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
I hope that one guy got his kidneys back at least before they got rid of the body

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

1x09 "Put a bullet in your brain Patsy!" - man I yelled at this part

"Let go of me Jessica!" - :aaa:

Holy poo poo I knew of course that this would be a disaster but wow what an escape. I can't wait to see what happens now that Jessica knows for sure she can resist him. These last two episodes have been amazing. The look into what makes Kilgrave tick in 1x08 was fascinating. He's got these things about his past that almost make him theoretically sympathetic, but then he instantly does something else to remind you how despicable he is.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wow from start to finish episode 1 - 13 the show was amazing. There was some bumpy areas of the show but overall the show gave real gravitas to Kilgrave and is probably the best adaptation of that storyline of the Alias storyline.

Good :

Excellent acting through out. Spot on casting for everyone in the show. Especially Coulter as Luke Cage. David Tennant is loving terrifying and shows that he is so drat good as a actor.

Bad:
[spoiler]
Some plotlines like the lesbian drama which was interesting but pretty dragged out

Ugly

Some of the fight scenes were just bad.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 21, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

1x10: holy loving poo poo everything is terrible

1x10 Yeah no kidding. It's interesting how in these last two episodes the poo poo going wrong has had to do with people that Jessica ignored in her quest to get Kilgrave. Not that that makes anything they did any less stupid or terrible.

Oh my god how are there 3 more episodes left how am I gonna make it

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
1x13 Tennant was so phenomenal and terrifying that it's going to be hard for me to watch any follow-up seasons without him. I was hoping she was just going to crush his larynx or rip out his tongue or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

1x13 Tennant was so phenomenal and terrifying that it's going to be hard for me to watch any follow-up seasons without him. I was hoping she was just going to crush his larynx or rip out his tongue or something.

Yeah she just snapped his next which I thought was pretty much just there and that . I was genuinely surprised it wasn't more gruesome but then it kind of makes sense for it not to be

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Yeah she just snapped his next which I thought was pretty much just there and that . I was genuinely surprised it wasn't more gruesome but then it kind of makes sense for it not to be

1x13 When she said, "Smile," I thought maybe she was going to rip his jaw off or something. I'd be okay with "mouth-wired shut Kilgrave" if it meant that we could at least have brief Kilgrave segments in the future and the looming possibility of escape. Not in the sense that I think Jessica should have spared Kilgrave,, but merely because I loving love me some Tennant menace and don't want him to go away.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Argue posted:

Edit: One downside to the looser connection is that they didn't get to nab this panel from the comic.

An anime girl looking surprised???

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

1x13 When she said, "Smile," I thought maybe she was going to rip his jaw off or something. I'd be okay with "mouth-wired shut Kilgrave" if it meant that we could at least have brief Kilgrave segments in the future and the looming possibility of escape. Not in the sense that I think Jessica should have spared Kilgrave,, but merely because I loving love me some Tennant menace and don't want him to go away.

No, he definitely had to die. What I thought was interesting about the show was that it didn't end with this uplifting message. In fact Jessica just deletes all cries for help from her phone. It's Malcolm that answers the phone. Like this whole thing didn't make her a better person at all. She had some character growth because she confronted Kilgrave,but It just hosed her up more

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Holy gently caress, episode 9 is intense.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I like how 95% of the time Jessica uses her powers it's to open doors.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nooneofconsequence posted:

I like how 95% of the time Jessica uses her powers it's to open doors.

Doors, locks, and windows, the true triumvirate of villainy.

1X13
Rosario Dawson's character seemed a little uncharacteristically cool with everyone just declaring some dude she'd never heard of had to die. I mean, yeah, Killgrave pretty much had to die but she didn't know poo poo about him. At least a half hearted plea to ease up on the killing or a slightly more detailed explaination than mind control seems like it would have been in order.

Take the time away from lesbian drama, psycho twins, or Captain Drug PSA if you need to.

Edit: General question about Killgrave with some specific examples. How long does it take for someone to realize he's mind controlling them anyway? Big things like murder, sex, whatever, sure right away. But what about the "weird" requests where you would know something is wrong like a strange man telling you to let him in your house, change your mind about helping him, or go all in on poker and then fold?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 21, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

The show's kinda okayish (halfway through 1x09 now), Tennant's by far my favorite in all this. Dude's acting is pretty amazing in this. Colter's also perfect as Cage.

Though everyone else doesn't really stick to me. I'm not really sure what Carrie-Anne Moss is even doing in this, feels like you could cut out her character and nothing would be really lost. Though maybe the whole thing will still come together in the end.
1x1-1x8(or 7, I can't remember where I stopped)
I'm only through like epsiode 7 or 8 right now, but I think Carrie-Anne Moss's character is a great part of the show. She has a similar philosophy as Kilgrave. She doesn't have powers, but she believes in manipulating and controlling people and doing whatever it takes to get what she wants. She is abusive and controlling. She tells her partners that she loves them, but she tires of them when they no longer satisfy her or she can no longer control them. This show's themes are much more cohesively explored in different ways than Daredevils. Where Daredevil is vaguely about rage and revenge and becoming a killer, Jessica Jones is very effectively exploring ideas of consent and control and emotional and physical freedom. Every character is tied to this them in some way.

Jessica is much more interesting character than Matt, who I felt was the weakest part of DD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ghetto Prince posted:

gently caress yes

Part of the reason why I found him so scary is how he's so casual about the whole mind control and mind wipe use to the point of being routine.

Sort of like in the early episode in which he just strolls into the penthouse apartment and starts mind controlling everyone is sight