Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Roger, did that over a week ago. They are have not responded.

They are backlogged all the way to Oct last I heard. Email them every 3 days. Just copy and paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Agreed, but as other have mentioned in this thread, the question is one of time and funds more than anything. If we were looking at this alpha 1 year after their kickstarter, I would be fairly confident that something ok was going to come out. But if this is all they have after 3.5 years, than there's a big problem, even if you make a very conservative estimate of the burn rate vs. the money they're taking in.

Time and money is important and there are plenty of corners that may be cut, but if they took what they have right now to investors and said "we need 18 months and we can release a game that people will buy" they'd probably get the money and probably be right.

The game has taken a long time and been a mess because of CR's interference, but the fact that they've got something to this sort of state is an indication that he's not doing that so much any more.

It's all over hyped to hell but there will be a game and it seems like it'll be on par with other games. Probably won't break any sales records, won't fill the hole that some backers clearly have in their lives, but there will be a game worth $30-$40 coming out in 18 months and some people will buy it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

D_Smart posted:

...and there it is. That didn't take long, did it?

I don't even know what you're saying any more. :psypop:

I've never changed my stance on anything. Chris Roberts is insane, and so are you.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

No, I was referring to you. The more you talk, the less credible you sound. Engineers don't just scream I'm right, you're wrong! over and over again.

Everything Octopode posted about they way they are representing positions as double point precision in world space and translating that to single point precision by treating the camera as origin and placing a far clip plane on the camera is a completely valid method (and it does appear to be what they are doing, based on 5 minutes of research). Having z-fighting in the depth buffer has says nothing about that other than that the implementation is buggy.

I'm sure you're about to jump into a long diatribe about how I'm wrong, but here's the thing - it doesn't loving matter. The issue is that management is insane enough to take on a conversion like that in the first place, not whether their engineering team can actually make it work. Whether the implementation is buggy or flawless says less about the project than the fact that they had to do it in the first place.

Your conspiracy theories about how they're lying about the underlying mechanics and whether they're "cheating" don't loving matter because there's no motivation to lie about something like that. Nobody cares how it works under the hood. Yes, if you're right and they can't figure it out, there will always be z-fighting and jitteriness, but who cares if there is no game? Quit arguing about minutia.

Oh, so you're an insane stalker. Gotcha.

Meltdown much about bad simulators?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

neonbregna posted:

Meltdown much about bad simulators?

I just wanted to geek out about double precision floating point numbers and quaternions; I don't even know how I got dragged into this mess.

I think DSmart might literally be the antichrist.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

peter gabriel posted:

Are people honestly trying to say getting movement in the FPS is hard in an engine created for an FPS that has good movement?

Cryengingine's movement was always poo poo compared to something like an idTech engine or really any other fps out there.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

D_Smart posted:

They are backlogged all the way to Oct last I heard. Email them every 3 days. Just copy and paste.

Do you, or anyone, know anything about how many refund requests they're getting? Is it enough to make them sweat, or is it just an annoyance?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

KillHour posted:

Chris Roberts is insane, and so are you.

Congrats, you are beginning to understand the Something Awful Star Citizen thread.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

No, I was referring to you. The more you talk, the less credible you sound. Engineers don't just scream I'm right, you're wrong! over and over again.

Yes we do? (mainly because we tend to be right -in our area- and the stupid idiots tend to be wrong) It's one of our perks. Here in Canada some even get the "Iron ring"

quote:

The ring symbolizes the pride which engineers have in their profession, while simultaneously reminding them of their humility.

this is because humility doesn't come naturally to engineers. We want to be humble people, that's why we have humble mystical rituals

quote:

The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer is the ceremony where Iron Rings are given to graduating engineers who choose to obligate themselves to the highest professionalism and humility of their profession.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

trucutru posted:

Yes we do? (mainly because we tend to be right -in our area- and the stupid idiots tend to be wrong) It's one of our perks. Here in Canada some even get the "Iron ring"

this is because humility doesn't come naturally to engineers. We want to be humble people, that's why we have humble mystical rituals

You also wear the ring on your pimp hand so bitches can feel your humility when you smack them. Because you are right and they are wrong.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

KillHour posted:

I don't even know what you're saying any more. :psypop:

I've never changed my stance on anything. Chris Roberts is insane, and so are you.

Welcome to Star Citizen!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gwaihir posted:

Cryengingine's movement was always poo poo compared to something like an idTech engine or really any other fps out there.

Agreed

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
http://www.twitch.tv/badnewsbaron

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Gwaihir posted:

Here fixed that for you.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

wow this guy is still playing? how hasnt he thrown his screen out of a window out of frustration yet

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, does Link use 8-bit positioning in Zelda 1 and 16-bit in Zelda 3? Why isn't there more Z-Fighting?

Oh, wait, those are not space shooters. How about Starfox?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

disconnected and then trying to reconnect a few times. he's been doing this all day.

how much of a true believer must he be to still be trying to play this shitheap

mryellowduck
Oct 31, 2015

by Shine

D_Smart posted:

There is no path. There is no publisher or developer on this planet who can save this project because the game that Chris has promised, simply cannot be made.

So you think that for SC to avoid failure, it needs to be feature complete with all of the 'vision 2.0' ideas?

Derek, I'm afraid to say that your barrier for failure is much lower than Chris Roberts and CIG will inevitability held to account for. The nature of crowdfunding, and the 'endless' development cycle means that they can deliver on only 10% of those promises and still be applauded by the vast majority of their backers and the gaming press.

It's obvious that CIG has neither the money nor competency to deliver on 'vision 2.0', but I don't see how this is going to lead to the dramatic implosion you've been predicting. As long as the space dream remains in tact, and CIG keep posting their weekly dev blogs, there is nothing that will dissuade the people who've invested so much of their financial (and emotional) capital into.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
An engineer is never right or wrong. It is merely a matter of applying the correct equations and doublechecking arithmetic. In this case, it appears that Chris Roberts has mandated the use of the wrong formulae, and now the engineers are (not unreasonably) angry about it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

he's a shill

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

AP posted:

Good news, a delivery lorry just arrived and they are back in stock!

Imagine the idiots seeing less than 50 left and thinking, I better get this now. Hey guys you got played.

CIG uses the most advanced just in time jpeg logistics. I note they couldn't source an extra pallet of cheap starter jpegs but poo poo happens.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

disconnected and then trying to reconnect a few times. he's been doing this all day.

He's probably signed an agreement with Sandi to play for x hours and he's so loving scared right now.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

lalaland posted:

wow this guy is still playing? how hasnt he thrown his screen out of a window out of frustration yet

Apparently the mission system is incredible. I find it literally incredible that he played a mission before it crashed again.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Congrats, you are beginning to understand the Something Awful Star Citizen thread.

I want to zfight everyone in this thread

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now he's avoiding going to the new content station (because the game will likely crash there) and instead heading towards the social module... and still crashing.

:lol:

edit:

Madcosby posted:

I want to zfight everyone in this thread

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Do you, or anyone, know anything about how many refund requests they're getting? Is it enough to make them sweat, or is it just an annoyance?

No exact numbers, but last I heard, they were inundated with them. For a company that thrives on selling virtual items for a non-existent game, my guess is that any refund is going to hurt.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

mryellowduck posted:

So you think that for SC to avoid failure, it needs to be feature complete with all of the 'vision 2.0' ideas?

Derek, I'm afraid to say that your barrier for failure is much lower than Chris Roberts and CIG will inevitability held to account for. The nature of crowdfunding, and the 'endless' development cycle means that they can deliver on only 10% of those promises and still be applauded by the vast majority of their backers and the gaming press.

It's obvious that CIG has neither the money nor competency to deliver on 'vision 2.0', but I don't see how this is going to lead to the dramatic implosion you've been predicting. As long as the space dream remains in tact, and CIG keep posting their weekly dev blogs, there is nothing that will dissuade the people who've invested so much of their financial (and emotional) capital into.

There's some truth in this, but there could still be a crash -- if CIG's financial situation is sufficiently precarious, and something, anything seriously affects the cashflow from the faithful, they could theoretically run out of money even before that stopgap/10% game is released. They're a long way from having anything that could be called a product.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
what a lovely stream who wants to watch a game crash every 5 minutes?

*watches for 24+ hours*

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ya guys its a fuckin SC conspiracy a guy that tries to make a living steaming is still streaming because Sandi is paying him not because he's got 1000 people actually staying to watch a game that breaks every 5 min

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

mryellowduck posted:

Yeah, that's one way of looking at it. But only if you assume that he is capable of delivering anything remotely close to the "vision 2.0" he promised.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

KillHour posted:

I should preface that with "Good engineers that want to be taken seriously."

Engineers don't care if they're taken seriously, since they know better than everyone else and thus all deviating opinions are automatically void.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.

Though, according to you I might be a bad engineer. Which is laughable, since I'm an engineer.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

trucutru posted:

he's a shill

this was the vibe I was getting but I didn't want to be too :tinfoil:

hilarious to think that even a shill is having so much difficulty advertising this poo poo though.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

He's probably signed an agreement with Sandi to play for x hours and he's so loving scared right now.

ROTFLMAO!!! I'm almost peed my pants laughing at that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Madcosby posted:

ya guys its a fuckin SC conspiracy a guy that tries to make a living steaming is still streaming because Sandi is paying him not because he's got 1000 people actually staying to watch a game that breaks every 5 min

He has raffles for ships, gets to play with developers, and hasn't killed himself over the crashes.

:colbert:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

KillHour posted:

To be fair, Z-fighting isn't necessarily a floating point precision problem. It certainly could be (maybe even likely is), but it doesn't have to be. z-fighting is a bitch and a half to debug. That's not to say I think this game is anything but a dumpster fire. I think the fact that they've completely ripped apart CryEngine in the first place is a testament to the fact that they picked their engine on "looks pretty" instead of "is capable of doing the things we need to make a functional game." You never want to start building a game and then have to go back and recode huge portions of the engine half way through. Which is why forcing yourself to have playable content a quarter of the way through development is loving stupid.

This is actually probably correct. Most renderers use a 32 bit depth buffer. If you're converting from 64 bit space to a 32 bit buffer, you're gonna get z-fighting.

That being said, I don't see how they think they're going to be able to keep rendering at 32 bits if everything is done with 64 in the background. Are we all gonna have to buy Quadros or FirePro cards to play this?

This is truth. Video cards can't render vertices in 64 bit unless you want to melt your top-end GTX980 to get 15FPS. So you have to transfer your vertices from 64 to 32 bit, and guess what, you lose your precision, and blammo. Z-fighting. There's also a discussion with the CIG devs somewhere deep in the stinking bowels of the RSI forums where a dev points out most positional and movement data is 32 bit. So you have all this vertex transfer going on in the shaders, and you're sending truncated long floats to servers that are self-owning with memory leaks. So when you try to fly someplace at 1000m/s, yeah. Blammo. Try going from 64 bit world coords into a cockpit where you instantiate 32bit-local-grid-in-64bit-world-coords, and yeah. Blammo. Try to shoot projectiles at 64 bit position vectors using 32bit quats synced over a network with 180msec latency, and yeah. Blammo. Try to rasterize thousands of textures with 64 bit world coords by slamming them down into 32 bit shader pipes, and yeah. Blammo.

It takes a custom, genius-level engine to do this kind of physics on this kind of scale. And CIG ain't got the stuff.

There is no possible outcome where this game isn't a giant clusterfuck of spaghetti hacks where fixing one issue just creates 2 more like that scene in Fantasia where lil' Mickey Mouse keeps chopping those brooms and every shard of broom carnage becomes a new broom. They're just gonna keep burning through senior devs who take one look at the code that's already a legacy shitmess and say "Oh gently caress," try to refacor everything, fail, burnout, quit, wash, rinse, repeat, until CR finally goes ah gently caress it, releases the buggy shitmess, and peaces out to Hollywood where he will summarily be laughed out of the industry, again, and fade out in a fat pathetic hand-waving slide into obscurity.

And we will be here, laughing, all the way down.

I love you all.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

He has raffles for ships, gets to play with developers, and hasn't killed himself over the crashes.

:colbert:

ITS A CONSPIRACY

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Loiosh posted:

When it's working, it does look pretty. https://gfycat.com/PaltryQuickEeve

That is what all the streamers have been saying in so many words... looks great!!! when it works... :/

Weird everyone latched onto that mantra.

And where did the idea come that it didn't crash as much anymore? I watch badnewswhatever for like ten minutes and 9 minutes was crashing or getting server full messages or it completely disconnecting him over and over.

After the 12th try or so, "Look gorgeous when it works" was his only reply.

Arg!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mangoose posted:

Engineers don't care if they're taken seriously, since they know better than everyone else and thus all deviating opinions are automatically void.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.

Though, according to you I might be a bad engineer. Which is laughable, since I'm an engineer.

Yes. Pretty much.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Good to see the star citizen thread continues to escalate in its vitriol. It seemed like things were progressing based on recent news I've been seeing but you'd never know based on this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

This is truth. Video cards can't render vertices in 64 bit unless you want to melt your top-end GTX980 to get 15FPS. So you have to transfer your vertices from 64 to 32 bit, and guess what, you lose your precision, and blammo. Z-fighting. There's also a discussion with the CIG devs somewhere deep in the stinking bowels of the RSI forums where a dev points out most positional and movement data is 32 bit. So you have all this vertex transfer going on in the shaders, and you're sending truncated long floats to servers that are self-owning with memory leaks. So when you try to fly someplace at 1000m/s, yeah. Blammo. Try going from 64 bit world coords into a cockpit where you instantiate 32bit-local-grid-in-64bit-world-coords, and yeah. Blammo. Try to shoot projectiles at 64 bit position vectors using 32bit quats synced over a network with 180msec latency, and yeah. Blammo. Try to rasterize thousands of textures with 64 bit world coords by slamming them down into 32 bit shader pipes, and yeah. Blammo.

It takes a custom, genius-level engine to do this kind of physics on this kind of scale. And CIG ain't got the stuff.

There is no possible outcome where this game isn't a giant clusterfuck of spaghetti hacks where fixing one issue just creates 2 more like that scene in Fantasia where lil' Mickey Mouse keeps chopping those brooms and every shard of broom carnage becomes a new broom. They're just gonna keep burning through senior devs who take one look at the code that's already a legacy shitmess and say "Oh gently caress," try to refacor everything, fail, burnout, quit, wash, rinse, repeat, until CR finally goes ah gently caress it, releases the buggy shitmess, and peaces out to Hollywood where he will summarily be laughed out of the industry, again, and fade out in a fat pathetic hand-waving slide into obscurity.

And we will be here, laughing, all the way down.

I love you all.

^this

• Locked thread