Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lycus posted:

They don't have to experiment, Amazon originally did weekly releases. They switched to all-at-once.

Plus they and Netflix do weekly releases for shows they buy from other territories/distributors. Extant aired on Amazon here in the UK, and was weekly. Better Call Saul and Once Upon A Time are on Netflix. I'm fairly sure they have figures on viewers for both types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I hope the show goes all out on the parallel timeline plots -- if only so we can have the Nazi's punch a hole into a universe where Rome never fell, and we can finally have the two biggest clichés of alternate universe stories duke it out on screen.

Actually, I'm really excited for this, even though it's absolutely not going to do that. It's got a great setting, a good cast... I'm glad to see Joel de la Fuente's still acting, even though he's unrecognisable from his Space: Above and Beyond days. And I don't think I've seen Alexa Davalos in anything (good) since The Mist.

Then suddenly at the climatic battle, here comes the Earth were the south won the American civil war.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Moltke posted:

In this universe it already happened, so the how is kind of moot. Any explanation of how the Germans supposedly won ww2 won't make any sense to anyone who's ever watched the history channel, so I hope that they never bother trying. It's not necessary to enjoy the current story.

Yeah I think they could kill the interesting aspects of the show by trying to come up with a full explanation. Hint at the past, make reference to it like PKD did but don't start explaining the Complete Battle of Virginia Beach.

Also congrats to the people behind the opening credits, for some reason I find them really creepy and unsettling to watch.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yup, we don't know when their timeline split from ours, or how. Maybe Germany pushed into the Soviet Union earlier, during summer and not autumn and they were able to bring most of the army back to the Atlantic wall and repel any Operation Overlord attempts to re-take Europe. Who knows, all we do know is that there was a landing at 'Virginia Beach' and that they dropped an A-Bomb on Washington DC to win the war, presumably under threat of other cities getting hit.

It doesn't matter for the show, just the fact that the Axis did win and ended up occupying Europe and America.

bartlebyshop posted:

Could it not be that the film reel is from their world, where the Allies were winning the war (and the reels hadn't been shown to the public yet), but the Nazis and Imperial Japan created the atomic bomb first? I've read too much "Nazis win" alternative history but in a lot of it the Axis builds the bomb first and nukes DC, London, and Moscow and then Bad Things Happen.

Well, the film reel isn't from their world/reality because while it is American-centric and doesn't show any Battle of Berlin footage however it does show that famous clip of the swastika emblem being blown up at Zeppelinfield in Nuremberg at the end of the war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTodK24KG6E

Edit: VVV I don't think he shows up in the tv show, he'd still be in a coma in some hospital in Poland.

Although the trailers for The New Order do fit decently with this tv show, I could see the soccer umpire ending up in the show on tv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuCaBp9wgtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VMGl0lTH7Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlvfqfGTar4

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 29, 2015

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Who are they casting as BJ Blazkowicz?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This year's pilot season is up.

A violent western by Shane Black, a dark comedy by Tig Notaro, a thriller espionage by Steven Conrad, a 1920s period piece starring Christina Ricci as Zelda Fitzgerald, a drama about ladies in the newsroom in 1969 and a comedy about a teenager who's imaginary friends with "celebrities" (does Shaq and Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers count as celebrities?)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/05/arts/television/reviews-amazon-pilots-include-a-revolt-and-the-supernatural.html

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm gonna be that guy, the guy who points out that there was no timeline where the U.S. ends up invaded and occupied, outside of time travels, magic, or scifi tech so advanced it might as well be magic. :jerkbag:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

I'm gonna be that guy, the guy who points out that there was no timeline where the U.S. ends up invaded and occupied, outside of time travels, magic, or scifi tech so advanced it might as well be magic. :jerkbag:

Also the dinosaurs in the Land Before Time movies could talk and were babies with personalities.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Sammus posted:

Who are they casting as BJ Blazkowicz?

Brian Bloom can play himself.

Really psyched for this for obvious reasons. Let's get them future Nazi bastards.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

Okay

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

[while watching star wars] Fake. Fake. This could never happen. Fake

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

As someone who didn't really care for the book (felt like a series of not really connected character studies than a cohesive story, just wasn't what I was looking for), I am loving the first two episodes. Some definite changes from the book (in the book, Hitler was already not in charge, here's that a pretty big plot point, and yeah, no possibility of alternate timeline trickery that I remember), but the changes are all for the better. Can't wait for the rest of the season.

As for how it could happen, I can't say, but how the book handled how it happened, (minor setting spoilers at absolutely worst, may not even be covered in the show) FDR was assassinated before the war even began while in Miami, causing his weak Vice President (not Truman, can't remember which one) to take over, do a terrible job, and lose election to a Republican, who took a totally different approach to the war. I'm guessing that let the Nazi's focus entirely on Russia, but my memory gets hazy at that point.

But yeah, great show so far, and Rufus Sewell especially is killing it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Should I wait 3 days to watch this? Are the first two episodes gonna have me fiending for more?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

As someone who didn't really care for the book (felt like a series of not really connected character studies than a cohesive story, just wasn't what I was looking for), I am loving the first two episodes. Some definite changes from the book (in the book, Hitler was already not in charge, here's that a pretty big plot point, and yeah, no possibility of alternate timeline trickery that I remember), but the changes are all for the better.

Actually in the book Hitler was still in charge, but he was syphilitic and it was a matter of time before he was hospitalized. I'm not just splitting hairs here, it was one of the interesting things in the book as there were about 3 different people who were in the running to replace him and most of the americans were hoping it was going to be a younger more moderate leaning guy (his name escapes me) that might have made things nicer for them. EDIT: oh also the Japanese were concerned that if Goebbels came to power it would spell trouble for them since he was a hardliner and they didn't have the economic or military power to really keep him and Germany in check. The more I think about it, the power struggle after Hitler is gone while brief is a major plot point in the book and is the whole reason why 3 central characters are even in it so I'm curious why you thought Hitler was already gone.

For all we know they could still do that in the show.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 18, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Blackchamber posted:

Actually in the book Hitler was still in charge, but he was syphilitic and it was a matter of time before he was hospitalized. I'm not just splitting hairs here, it was one of the interesting things in the book as there were about 3 different people who were in the running to replace him and most of the americans were hoping it was going to be a younger more moderate leaning guy (his name escapes me) that might have made things nicer for them. EDIT: oh also the Japanese were concerned that if Goebbels came to power it would spell trouble for them since he was a hardliner and they didn't have the economic or military power to really keep him and Germany in check. The more I think about it, the power struggle after Hitler is gone while brief is a major plot point in the book and is the whole reason why 3 central characters are even in it so I'm curious why you thought Hitler was already gone.

For all we know they could still do that in the show.

Nope. In the book, Hitler was already hospitalized, and Martin Bormann had already become chancellor. The power struggle you're thinking of is when, near the beginning of the novel, Bormann dies, which leads to Joseph Goebbels, Reinhard Heydrich, Hermann Göring, and other top Nazis to try to succeed him as Reichskanzler.

In the show, they appear to be skipping over Bormann as chancellor entirely, which is fine as Hitler makes for a better figure to have leave a power vacuum.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ah right you are.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Netflix rules apply through the weekend.

X-O posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I think everyone's watching Jessica Jones first, haha. Will get to this after.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I'm hoping Stan pick this up, they've got other Amazon shows. Would be good to watch it legit.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Klaus88 posted:

I hate to be that person but parts of Alaska were invaded and held by the Japanese during World War II, my hometown has a historical site made up of one of the military forts that were to be used to defend against further Japanese encroachment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign

Technically correct, the most annoying type of correct.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Almost all historians agree that there was a narrow window in '41, where Germany might have been able to break the Soviet Union. If they had won on the Eastern front, any landings by allied forces would have become completely impossible. That gives Germany enough time to do a proper nuclear research project and maybe get the bomb a year or two early.

Also, real life Germany had a delivery platform in the works called "Amerika Bomber". They build two prototypes that could reach the US east coast, but never managed to test them, since they had lost control of the necessary launch site in France by that point in the war.

I mean, it's still a completely improbable scenario, but nuclear weapons and the willingness to annihilate every large city in the US might make it at least somewhat plausible.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Ok, so last night I was like, "Hey, I'll watch an episode or two and then hit the sack."

Then it was 9am and I was out of episodes...

S1E10 (The whole thing) So, the series as a whole was really good - but I felt like the finale was really lacking. I expected to meet the Man in the High Castle, and was bummed when we didn't.

I found myself surprisingly sympathetic towards Obergruppenfuhrer Smith and his arc. I really hope he gets a nomination for his effort in that role. Also, if at the onset of this show you had told me by the end I would be rooting for Hitler's side (in the Smith v Heydrich debacle) - I would never believe you.

I ended up not liking Joe by the end of the series, not sure why. I really liked him in the beginning. I wish we had spent more time with Frank and the Jewish family. His breakdown during the prayer was great.

Lasting impressions: I enjoyed the poo poo out of it - but I guess I expected more from the overarching plot - and even though the final scene where Togomi meditates and sees an alternate timeline was cool, it just raises more questions than answers. Anyway, it's good. Watch it. Tell your friends.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 20, 2015

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

waitwhatno posted:

Almost all historians agree that there was a narrow window in '41, where Germany might have been able to break the Soviet Union.

Most historians I've talked to, hate trying to answer that hypothetical question. Mostly because it relies upon a huge series of "what-ifs" having Rube Goldberg Machine levels of accuracy favoring the Germans in order for them to end up prevailing over the Allies and resulting in a scenario like that found in The Man in the High Castle. The odds were stacked against Germany from the very beginning but to say that an Allied victory over them was a foregone conclusion would be asinine. That doesn't mean things like this show or books like Fatherland aren't fun to read or watch though :)

If anyone wants a good read on it, Richard Overy's Why the Allies Won? is a pretty good breakdown of the eventual Allied victory, and how it was not the inevitable conclusion many people make it out to be.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Ok, so last night I was like, "Hey, I'll watch an episode or two and then hit the sack."

Then it was 9am and I was out of episodes...

Just curious, I've only watched the first two episodes but do they wrap things up at the end of the season like the book does? Or do they set things up for a second season? I'm hopeful that with the deviations they've already made, they aren't too strict in how they follow the books storyline.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just curious, I've only watched the first two episodes but do they wrap things up at the end of the season like the book does? Or do they set things up for a second season? I'm hopeful that with the deviations they've already made, they aren't too strict in how they follow the books storyline.

I haven't read the books, but (1x10)The finale is almost completely open ended, and certainly a setup for season 2.

Edit: Heavy spoilers (1x10) That's actually my only hang up with the series. They resolve exactly zero of the mysteries. Not the films, not the German Coup, not the Bomb, etc. They find the assassin, but that's about it.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 20, 2015

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Just finished it. Woo, binge!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I expected to meet the Man in the High Castle, and was bummed when we didn't.

1x10 Spoilers below

From what I can tell, we did - Hitler was the Man, in his High Castle (in the Austrian mountains). People mistakenly thought he made the movies, but he just collected them. That's why the resistance folk in the neutral zone were collecting the films to deliver them to the Man - Hitler was using them to acquire them. That's why the resistance folk had specific instructions not to watch the films - it prevents anyone else from gaining the epiphanies from them. Hitler's the Man in the High Castle who has tasked the resistance with recovering the films, but we've no actual idea where they're coming from, at this stage.

Technocrat fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 21, 2015

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Technocrat posted:

Just finished it. Woo, binge!

From what I can tell, we did - Hitler was the Man, in his High Castle (in the Austrian mountains). People mistakenly thought he made the movies, but he just collected them. That's why the resistance folk in the neutral zone were collecting the films to deliver them to the Man - Hitler was using them to acquire them. That's why the resistance folk had specific instructions not to watch the films - it prevents anyone else from gaining the epiphanies from them. Hitler's the Man in the High Castle who has tasked the resistance with recovering the films, but we've no actual idea where they're coming from, at this stage.

(1x10 spoilers below)

See, I thought that, but I literally thought it too boring to be possible. Maybe I had set my expectations too high. I'm OK with that interpretation, just not what I was expecting. So is that how it is in the book?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Seeing Rufus Sewells freaky cheekbones makes me want to watch Dark City again.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Le Saboteur posted:

Seeing Rufus Sewells freaky cheekbones makes me want to watch Dark City again.

You need to Tune first.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lol where's the film reel from the universe where this show is good

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Tuxedo Jack posted:

(1x10 spoilers below)

See, I thought that, but I literally thought it too boring to be possible. Maybe I had set my expectations too high. I'm OK with that interpretation, just not what I was expecting. So is that how it is in the book?

In the book, Juliana finds the Man (Abendsen) in his house in the neutral zone, warns him that the Nazis are after him, and then leaves. In terms of finding him, it's a very Dick ending. Then she uses the I Ching to realise that her universe isn't real, like Mr Tagomi.

Apparently, Dick had a desire to make a sequel to the novel as well, but apparently didn't get around to that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I’m don’t understand why (spoilers whole season) Chief Inspector Kido needs Ed McCarthy as a scapegoat. It seems to me that he could lay the blame on anyone, and he certainly isn’t morally above that.

Witnesses saw the revolver, but they saw it in Frank’s hands, and confirm he never fired. The revolver is at odds with the true ballistics report anyway. Why not create a frame‐up from a clean slate?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I’m don’t understand why (spoilers whole season) Chief Inspector Kido needs Ed McCarthy as a scapegoat. It seems to me that he could lay the blame on anyone, and he certainly isn’t morally above that.

Witnesses saw the revolver, but they saw it in Frank’s hands, and confirm he never fired. The revolver is at odds with the true ballistics report anyway. Why not create a frame‐up from a clean slate?

I guess they needed at least a murder weapon in hand, but you're right that it only sort of makes sense, like a lot of things. Like for instance, why didn't hitler just have the nazis grab the films instead of having the resistance and also additionally the nazis grab them. Or just have the resistance grab them and not have the nazis grab them, if he doesn't trust the nazis. It doesn't make any sense to tell both groups that they're mega-important and have them fight for the films, except that it's the primary source of drama in the show and so it has to be back-justified.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Or heck, while we're asking questions, why is the hero of the show's only satisfyingly-concluded plot thread Adolf Hitler, why would you write a show like that when you're basing it off a book where Hitler isn't even a character?

Why is a key plot point the prince changing to a warlike leader resolved entirely off-screen and introduced by a guy who's only there for one scene to deliver the news when the prince and the guy the news is being delivered to are acquaintances and it could have actually been shown on screen with no difficulty? Why do we establish in the first ep that a major character has martial arts training have her use it in the second and then have it never come up ever, ever again despite the multiple opportunities?

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 21, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Why does the plot point about John Smith's son that's CLEARLY there to humanize him just stop all of a sudden short of anything actually happening and then get forgotten about entirely? Am I supposed to feel better about this nazi because a bad thing might happen to him at some point in the future? Did they run out of room in the edit? Maybe they could have cut 3 of the hours that the old dude spent staring at that necklace.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

30.5 Days posted:

Why does the plot point about John Smith's son that's CLEARLY there to humanize him just stop all of a sudden short of anything actually happening and then get forgotten about entirely? Am I supposed to feel better about this nazi because a bad thing might happen to him at some point in the future? Did they run out of room in the edit? Maybe they could have cut 3 of the hours that the old dude spent staring at that necklace.

I thought that maybe (1x10) that was going to be the turning point for him, but it wasn’t.

I don’t mind the Hitler is the Man in the High Castle reveal, except that it’s not clear where they can go from there. They can’t make Hitler a good guy, but removing him from the picture immediately would be a strange turn of plot. So what’s he going to do if there’s a second season?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I thought that maybe (1x10) that was going to be the turning point for him, but it wasn’t.

I don’t mind the Hitler is the Man in the High Castle reveal, except that it’s not clear where they can go from there. They can’t make Hitler a good guy, but removing him from the picture immediately would be a strange turn of plot. So what’s he going to do if there’s a second season?

It's not clear what anybody would do, because the source of hope in the series is now revealed to be worthless, but no characters are aware of that so they have no reason to change their behavior. There's basically no value in any characters attempting to do anything unless magical chinaman's acid trip ends and he does something useful. But hopefully they'll kill this dumb show and no one will have to worry about that.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I read the book over a year ago and just finished the series. It was really good! I'm very excited for where the show could go for a second season.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not finished yet but The Marshal was a pretty awesome villain. Also I'm pretty sure the albino black dude in Canon City is the same guy that a photo goon (dorkasaurus rex) shoots from time to time. Having a hard time figuring what the hell is up with Joe .

Also, that weeb antiques dealer doing a 180, lmao.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Also, that weeb antiques dealer doing a 180, lmao.

This was 100% my favorite thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

-Blackadder- posted:

I think everyone's watching Jessica Jones first, haha. Will get to this after.

That's what I did. Sorry Alt history nerd, comic book nerd runs this poo poo. Hey that's what you get for making us read all those Turtledove books that all have the same plots.

Watched the pilot and while it feels like a TV show, it is still impressive. There's some really obvious green screening but it's not too distracting.

Couple things though DJ Qualls character is just pointless, they felt they needed to have some cool, talks real poo poo guy in the show? Or did they just need to offset all the square jaw'd men that populate this world? Also, the Theme song, its really loving terrible.

I also like that the second film is called the grasshopper layes heavy, which is the title of another book that used a lot of similar characters, but had an allied victory where the US and UK became the new superpowers. The US becomes way less racist, while the UK goes the other way. Makes me thing that yea, there's some fringe level alt universe stuff going on that's going to come into play

Oh and Allies losing the war in the book because the US is more isolationist, it never creates the lend/lease program which sends weapons and materials to the Uk and USSR, so they lose. And before you get all "but The USSR didn't need US made war materials!" the US trucks and tanks helped the red army slow down the Germans enough to move their industrial base east and start pumping out thousands upon thousands of t34s. Though it is kind of strange to see in the show black people because in the book basically they were extinct in the US. It looks like the neutral zone is less Nazi dominated than in the book

I really like the designs of the American Nazi uniforms. They keep the same look as the German ones but there's some localization. The armbands having the 13 stripes on them.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 22, 2015

• Locked thread