Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

mashed_penguin posted:

Never ceases to be relevant.
We are literally watching Lesnick die trying to make this impossible game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
It's been sorta two days since sale start, they've made ~1 million.

9 days left with 4.5 million until they break 100 million.

If they fix the crashes I think they have a very good chance and they'll get a massive PR boost from having something new that looks impressive (in places) at the same time as breaking 100 million.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

happyhippy posted:

It's very sterile.
Like the Tron Universe but without the style.
The movement of characters isn't natural, there's a bit of Silent Hill 2 mannequin jankiness in every step they take.

There's just this constant feeling that everything is ultra ultra generic, bland and lacking in any kind of creativity or fun.
I feel they won't change that because they are happy with it but the whole thing lacks imagination to me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Also it's all poo poo

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh my god the streamer seriously believes that Star Citizen will have some sort of E-Sports :allears:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Also 90% of the code right now is 'ignore compiler warnings'.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

CIG will claim that the entire experience of imagining Star Citizen was the game. It was really an ARG, and all the enjoyment people had with the message board postings, discussions, multiple video series, and fantasy about the product, was actually the game itself.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
If ship sales start to lose their luster, they can always roll out plan b.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Hahaha, BadNewsBaron thinks he's "stress testing" the game

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm the head-bob.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

So if you crash somewhere in the game world and log back in: Where do you log back in? Do you have to reload the Hangar and load back into the "Game world" or do you log back in to the location where you had been during the crash?

This is the stress test for the Persistent Universe, of course you warp back to your hangar.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

AP posted:

It's been sorta two days since sale start, they've made ~1 million.

9 days left with 4.5 million until they break 100 million.

If they fix the crashes I think they have a very good chance and they'll get a massive PR boost from having something new that looks impressive (in places) at the same time as breaking 100 million.

How much do you think they'd need to deliver a final something that includes the PU? I would guess they'd need around $130 million to finish it up and make delivery of a PU in 2017. I don't know how much longer you can make money off JPEGs.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I'm the head-bob.

I hate you already!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

It sounds like you're comparing the WoW beta to Wow's final release in order to say that there is not much difference in terms of content.

It looks to me that in the same amount of time it's taken CIG to release this Alpha, Blizzard put out a Beta that had two continents worth of content, NPCs, multiple races, character customization, a leveling system, a range of skills and classes, and a dozen or so dungeons. Does that really seem relatively similar to what SC has now?

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 21, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mangoose posted:

He's stress testing the loading screens and Task Manager is what he's doing

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh my god the streamer seriously believes that Star Citizen will have some sort of E-Sports :allears:

Frungy is pretty drat good and interesting to watch.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I'm the head-bob.

It would be loving hilarious if it was the head bob that was causing 99% of crashes.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

XK posted:

Why would anyone buy this project when all the potential customers have already bought it? It would be a total money pit with no back-end profit even if it were corralled into a functional product.

A lot of people don't give money to crowd funding campaigns but buy the game at release. SC has a large number of insane backers who contribute far more money than they should, but I'm not sure how that correlates with "literally everyone who would buy this game has given their money up front 4 years in advance". SC has raised a huge amount through crowd funding by preying on easily manipulated idiots willing to part with far more money than possibly makes sense. I don't imagine that will affect its post-release sales.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

How much do you think they'd need to deliver a final something that includes the PU? I would guess they'd need around $130 million to finish it up and make delivery of a PU in 2017. I don't know how much longer you can make money off JPEGs.

I have no real clue considering how unstable the people in charge appear to be, but Steve Jobs was apparently an arsehole and got stuff done, so if you assume they can cut down to 3 million a month as a burn rate, another 18 months needs 54 million.

Next month we'll see what happens with whatever Derek does or doesn't do and in January we'll see who bailed out over Christmas. After that next significant moment we can predict is May 2016 when the 2nd TOS thingy happens, though if they've made real progress by then it might not be a problem at all. Then Gamescom and the lead up to Citizen Con and November 2016 sale, so going on what's happened this year, Citizen Con you'd expect a lot of progress shown on SQ42 (possibly release date) and November 2016 something major PU game significant.

Lots of people played Day Z for ages, if they can get something that people can actually play there's no reason I can see why this whole thing can't continue. I'm not sure if that's good or bad considering the sale deception stuff is getting worse, not better and they are completely shameless about it.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I just watched citizenstreamman64 or whoever EVA up to a turret on a ship parked on a ramp. This brought up a <use> prompt, even though the turret has no hatch to the outside world. When he activated it, he warped 50 feet downward through the hull and began the animation to enter the turret though an elevator from inside the ship.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mangoose posted:

The game is stress-testing him. And it's winning.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

That being said, I don't see how they think they're going to be able to keep rendering at 32 bits if everything is done with 64 in the background. Are we all gonna have to buy Quadros or FirePro cards to play this?

A few games do this purely by necessity, i.e. Elite. They work just fine.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

A lot of people don't give money to crowd funding campaigns but buy the game at release. SC has a large number of insane backers who contribute far more money than they should, but I'm not sure how that correlates with "literally everyone who would buy this game has given their money up front 4 years in advance". SC has raised a huge amount through crowd funding by preying on easily manipulated idiots willing to part with far more money than possibly makes sense. I don't imagine that will affect its post-release sales.

Cause space poo poo is still a niche market and almost everyone who wants a copy of the game already paid for it. Unless they go the FD route and release on console they won't be generating game sales post release. They'll probably just keep selling more jpegs

MAYBE the fps will get some new cusomers, but if it's a horrible cutscene infested mess and word spreads they're pretty much done

This is all speculation tho, cause we know they'll never produce a feature complete game.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just remembered MGS4 had 8 hours of cutscenes and everyone bitches

Sq42 has 10

Lol

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Truga posted:

A few games do this purely by necessity, i.e. Elite. They work just fine.

Do you have details for how Elite handles the transition? I'm legitimately curious.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Do you have details for how Elite handles the transition? I'm legitimately curious.

I'm pretty sure you'll get an answer from the devs if you ask them on their forums

They're pretty interactive with the community and seem pretty chill

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

I have no real clue considering how unstable the people in charge appear to be, but Steve Jobs was apparently an arsehole and got stuff done, so if you assume they can cut down to 3 million a month as a burn rate, another 18 months needs 54 million.

Next month we'll see what happens with whatever Derek does or doesn't do and in January we'll see who bailed out over Christmas. After that next significant moment we can predict is May 2016 when the 2nd TOS thingy happens, though if they've made real progress by then it might not be a problem at all. Then Gamescom and the lead up to Citizen Con and November 2016 sale, so going on what's happened this year, Citizen Con you'd expect a lot of progress shown on SQ42 (possibly release date) and November 2016 something major PU game significant.

Lots of people played Day Z for ages, if they can get something that people can actually play there's no reason I can see why this whole thing can't continue. I'm not sure if that's good or bad considering the sale deception stuff is getting worse, not better and they are completely shameless about it.

Don't forget ds has said some people are leaving or being fired after Christmas

Depending on who those people are we could get some good drama out of it

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Romes128 posted:

Cause space poo poo is still a niche market and almost everyone who wants a copy of the game already paid for it. Unless they go the FD route and release on console they won't be generating game sales post release. They'll probably just keep selling more jpegs

MAYBE the fps will get some new cusomers, but if it's a horrible cutscene infested mess and word spreads they're pretty much done

This is all speculation tho, cause we know they'll never produce a feature complete game.

It is a niche market, but that still doesn't mean they've managed to get 100% of their potential market to back the game. There's no way to do that, loads of people don't want to give their money to a crowd funding campaign and loads of people will buy a game that pops up on their steam store page because it looks kinda cool.

I can't find any figures on it, but I imagine the percentage of your market who are willing to pay up front to fund the game is fairly similar since those who don't back something that they would want to buy will probably never back something and people who give money to crowdfunding probably give lots of money to crowd funding.

Regardless, CIG doesn't have the magic formula to get every cynic to part with their money pre-release. They release a game that doesn't suck, there will be people out there who thought it would be bad, people who don't like crowdfunding and people who never heard of it till it popped onto their steam new releases list and a bunch of them will buy it.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It sounds like you're comparing the WoW beta to Wow's final release in order to say that there is not much difference in terms of content.

It looks to me that in the same amount of time it's taken CIG to release this Alpha, Blizzard put out a Beta that had two continents worth of content, NPCs, multiple races, character customization, a leveling system, a range of skills and classes, and a dozen or so dungeons. Does that really seem relatively similar to what SC has now?

I kinda rambled a bit because I loved the beta in WoW. The alpha, what was available in 2003, was not in a good state. When they completed work on the engine (converting it from the RTS overhead War 3 engine to a third person MMO engine), it was in a bad state. Lots of crashes, server completely unstable, no questing, no AI for the NPCs or enemies, you couldn't talk or interact with them, the loot system wasn't working and there was no talent system to speak of. Even the classes were not developed at the time. That's around 3 years into development. The art team was working on assets, but they had to iterate on them because the engine would change and they'd have to redo things. Just as an example Blackfathom Deeps had a complete art redo during beta. There's a lot of fascinating information on the development of WoW which gives interesting insight into what development was like during alpha and beta releases. Once you get an engine features nailed down, the progression is remarkable. Here's a series of articles about it: http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/27/wow-archivist-recapping-classic-world-of-warcraft/

0.6 introduces the 2nd pass of Blackfathom Deeps: http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/07/the-patches-of-yesteryear-patch-0-6/ before it would be later moved to its final position and retuned.

Anyways, that's just a specific story from one development. I remember back then how people were saying a lot of similar things, both that WoW was doing nothing innovative, but was buggy and terrible and how dare they take so long to work on it. Instancing wasn't new, Anarchy Online had that! Seemless zone loading wasn't new! Gryphon flights were not impressive, gently caress Blizzard taking forever.

The best part was after launch. Who here remembers the game being unplayable for a month because they ran out of units and they couldn't spin up enough servers to handle the load? Also, you could crash a WoW server (and net yourself a ban) by bringing a bunch of players into an area. The launch version didn't include server sharding (that would be added in BC after the fiasco that was the AQ opening and the servers constantly breaking during that event: http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/19/wow-archivist-the-gates-of-ahnqiraj/), so if you wanted to troll, just get a group of about 60 players together and go run to Stormwind. Horde players used to love doing this.

Basically, from doing a lot of MMO testing, I've seen a lot of buggy messes get fixed as the engine issues get sorted out. WoW was no exception and SC is going to be just as much as a poo poo-show, save that people will actually get to watch it in action during its development (at the time, WoW was under a strict NDA).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Granted he is playing solo, but this is one of the coolest Star Citizen videos you will see today. Stuff like this is what pisses me off the most about what could've been were the game's scope kept in check :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PajwXmZHrFw

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
^ The debris flying off like that is pretty cool.

peter gabriel posted:

There's just this constant feeling that everything is ultra ultra generic, bland and lacking in any kind of creativity or fun.
I feel they won't change that because they are happy with it but the whole thing lacks imagination to me.
When I saw the :gary: speech I thought of Starship Troopers without the irony.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Chalks posted:

people who never heard of it till it popped onto their steam new releases list and a bunch of them will buy it.

Have they said anything about if this is actually going to be on steam? I know steam takes a cut from cash shop sales in games that have them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

I've honestly no idea. My guess is, they use w-buffer, which seems ideal for space applications.

e:

quote:

By contrast, when w (or eye-relative z) is used, the buffer bits can be more evenly allocated between the near and far clip planes in world space. The key benefit is that the ratio of far to near is no longer an issue, allowing applications to support a maximum range of miles, yet still get reasonably accurate depth buffering within inches of the eye point.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff570611(v=vs.85).aspx

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 22, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

Have they said anything about if this is actually going to be on steam? I know steam takes a cut from cash shop sales in games that have them.

I wanna see it on steam if only for the "$300,000 in DLC available" link.

Also considering they funded a storefront to be developed for it, it's doubtful they'll release on steam.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Could you smart guys please explain to me why should spatial 64bit coordinate system cause precision problems for a 32bit renderer which recenters the coordinates on the player?

Let's take two datatypes - one goes from -32,768 to 32,767 (for spatial positioning) and the second from -128 to 127 (for renderer). If our player is in position 1000 in space and the object he is observing is in position 1100, then translated into the smaller address space, the player's position would be 0 and the object's 100. Nothing is lost. You just cull out all objects which are further than 127 units from the player. The fact that you use 3 points to mark the location in 3d space instead of the one I used shouldn't really change anything.

Please explain to me, what I am missing here? Why should coordinate system translation cause problems in precision? I honestly want to know.

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 22, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

Granted he is playing solo, but this is one of the coolest Star Citizen videos you will see today. Stuff like this is what pisses me off the most about what could've been were the game's scope kept in check :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PajwXmZHrFw

So where's the spatial imprecision jittering in this video?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SirTagz posted:

Could you smart guys please explain to me why should spatial 64bit coordinate system cause precision problems for a 32bit renderer which recenters the coordinates on the player?

It can cause visual glitches. Your card determines which pixels to render by using the z coordinate (depth). At longer ranges, this can quickly result in one texture glitching through the other, because due to float point imprecision, your card thought one texture was in front of the other, when it's really not.

It's also by no means limited to a game with 64 bit coordinate system, it's just that 64 bits allow you much longer ranges, thus making the glitch much easier to come across.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

That's a good question.
A very good question. Seems like they can turn it on or off at will, like they are doing this on purpose.
Why would they do that?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

Lol How does it feel to be a literal man child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

1) He wasn't far enough from any object of interest. In fact, he never left the extents of the largest object (station) in the region

2) He never flew from the 1st or 3rd person view with said largest object within the view frustum and other smaller objects

It's there; I was just experiencing it about an hour ago when I was doing a play through with a friend of mine.

• Locked thread