Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:five:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Saddest Robot posted:

My backer number is lower than yours so I am better than you.

I approve the comment of this :regd07: sub-human

The goons should be encouraging them.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

One guy in the stream unironically talking about console "peasants." lmao

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Crashing every 5 minutes to see tidbits of lovely unoriginal content is a true PC experience, worthy only for kings.

EDIT: Also spending thousands of dollars to do the above.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 22, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Romes128 posted:

Derek has anyone mentioned why they're moving from Texas to California other than sandi wants to act and cr wants to make movies?

Derek smart
Derek smart
Derek smart

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rad Russian posted:

Crashing every 5 minutes to see tidbits of lovely unoriginal content is a true PC experience, worthy only for kings.

It's horrible and they love it for some reason.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I'm in a live stream and we were trolling extremists earlier :)

https://twitter.com/silverwolfcc/status/668236058547634177

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ryde posted:

One guy in the stream unironically talking about console "peasants." lmao

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/297079/will-there-be-a-dress-code

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Romes128 posted:

Derek has anyone mentioned why they're moving from Texas to California other than sandi wants to act and cr wants to make movies?

That, and they're saving money by closing an entire studio and downsizing it.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Adobe photoshop will let you put multiple layers in an image. You can even 3D rotate an image made up of 3D layers and they don't generally clip through them. I recognize that the Z-fighting is the symptom of a larger problem, but I'm curious about what hackjob they'll come up with to fix it. I mean, it's affecting things visually so it probably bothers Croberts a lot more than the crashing does.

Can cryengine do layers like photoshop does? Can they just define a rendering / occlusion sequence and be done with it? Like, what's the most slapdashy, duct tape-and-bubblegum shortcut approach they could possibly use?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

That, and they're saving money by closing an entire studio and downsizing it.

Lol

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 22, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
...blast from the not so past

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

pro clik
http://www.twitch.tv/badnewsbaron/v/21947696

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

He started today looking pretty upbeat and by the end he was just a washed up shell of a broken man :lol:

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 22, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i wish nothing but bad things for someone who has a patreon ad permanently fixed onto their stream

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

i wish nothing but bad things for someone who has a patreon ad permanently fixed onto their stream

You don't want to back a backer?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Whoever has access to the PTU, please go land on the gas giant and walk around on it

Also, if what Derek says is true, shouldn't it be pretty easy to test whether or not 64 bit precision is in by just using the go-fast (but not the quantum thing) for a minute or two in one direction with two people and observe the stutter on each other? Because by the looks of it you can't drop out of quantum drive which would lend credence to the theory that it's just a bunch of little zones and it's not really one giant game space.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Justin Tyme posted:

Whoever has access to the PTU, please go land on the gas giant and walk around on it

Also, if what Derek says is true, shouldn't it be pretty easy to test whether or not 64 bit precision is in by just using the go-fast (but not the quantum thing) for a minute or two in one direction with two people and observe the stutter on each other? Because by the looks of it you can't drop out of quantum drive which would lend credence to the theory that it's just a bunch of little zones and it's not really one giant game space.

I proved that today with two of my friends. And I'm going to be writing about it once I've formulated my thoughts.

And yeah, from what I can tell thus far, they cheated. As I mentioned here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=164480&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post452967428

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am glad I am out of this. They really need to fix the head bob though. Watching that barons stream when it wasn't crashed, was giving me seasickness symptoms.

The people in the reddit subreddit are talking about floating debt on credit cards to buy ships that don't exist yet. Weird.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

I kept asking why it was so bad then he started talking at the camera and started going red and then banned me but I had sound off so it was just a man going red to me, I loved that

dude he was progressing into his final form, you were quite lucky!

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Mirificus, I just wanted to thank you for posting these insane snippets from Reddit/Official forums. I generally don't have the time to go through there looking for poo poo like this and the stuff you deliver always gives me a good chuckle.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I remember playing the last wow closed beta and was so blown away by what they managed to achieve.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

I remember playing the last wow closed beta and was so blown away by what they managed to achieve.

Yes, but that's the *last* beta. This is the *second* pre-alpha.

There is a world of difference.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

RuckusRouser posted:

Mirificus, I just wanted to thank you for posting these insane snippets from Reddit/Official forums. I generally don't have the time to go through there looking for poo poo like this and the stuff you deliver always gives me a good chuckle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3tlcd1/funding_just_hit_95000000/

There are people in this thread talking like drug addicts. Some dude has like 400 bucks for the month and hes debating on buying a spaceship in a game. I don't get it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

RuckusRouser posted:

No problem. The drama inherent to Star Citizen entertains me :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Adobe photoshop will let you put multiple layers in an image. You can even 3D rotate an image made up of 3D layers and they don't generally clip through them. I recognize that the Z-fighting is the symptom of a larger problem, but I'm curious about what hackjob they'll come up with to fix it. I mean, it's affecting things visually so it probably bothers Croberts a lot more than the crashing does.

Can cryengine do layers like photoshop does? Can they just define a rendering / occlusion sequence and be done with it? Like, what's the most slapdashy, duct tape-and-bubblegum shortcut approach they could possibly use?

You have a render order that you can use to force objects to be rendered before or after another. It's not a hack, though. It's used for things like transparent objects that have to be rendered after opaque objects to look correct. You only need to use z-testing when you don't know ahead of time which order they will be rendered in.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Yes, but that's the *last* beta. This is the *second* pre-alpha.

There is a world of difference.

Yep wasn't making a comparison. Here's to CIG to making it happen!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Mirificus posted:

No problem. The drama inherent to Star Citizen entertains me :)

You're doing God's work.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

"beware, it could be that they call you Karl"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5908093/#Comment_5908093

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Karl go gently caress yourself

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

i just want someone to aim at the nearest space station and fly towards it in non warp. see if they have made any progress towards it after 10 mins assuming they havent crashed yet lol

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Thanks to Karl and Octopode I've been exposed to more mental illness in the few weeks I've been following this thread than in the previous 27 years of my life.

Parents, talk to your kids about staying on their meds.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Color me curious: http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/20/razer-corporate-investment-fund/

Anything to do with the Razer logo in the stream preview?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

KillHour posted:

You have a render order that you can use to force objects to be rendered before or after another. It's not a hack, though. It's used for things like transparent objects that have to be rendered after opaque objects to look correct. You only need to use z-testing when you don't know ahead of time which order they will be rendered in.

That sounds like a good idea for PS2-era games when blood and bullet holes were decals that got applied over a character's skin depending on where they got shot. Volition's "Red Faction" was very proud to pioneer the move away from decal-based damage. I remember because it says so on the back of the box how awesome their new procedural damage model was. That's why they made a mining game, I guess.

Is CIG using rendering techniques that were being made obsolete a decade ago?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Loiosh posted:

I kinda rambled a bit because I loved the beta in WoW. The alpha, what was available in 2003, was not in a good state. When they completed work on the engine (converting it from the RTS overhead War 3 engine to a third person MMO engine), it was in a bad state. Lots of crashes, server completely unstable, no questing, no AI for the NPCs or enemies, you couldn't talk or interact with them, the loot system wasn't working and there was no talent system to speak of. Even the classes were not developed at the time. That's around 3 years into development. The art team was working on assets, but they had to iterate on them because the engine would change and they'd have to redo things. Just as an example Blackfathom Deeps had a complete art redo during beta. There's a lot of fascinating information on the development of WoW which gives interesting insight into what development was like during alpha and beta releases. Once you get an engine features nailed down, the progression is remarkable. Here's a series of articles about it: http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/27/wow-archivist-recapping-classic-world-of-warcraft/

0.6 introduces the 2nd pass of Blackfathom Deeps: http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/07/the-patches-of-yesteryear-patch-0-6/ before it would be later moved to its final position and retuned.

Anyways, that's just a specific story from one development. I remember back then how people were saying a lot of similar things, both that WoW was doing nothing innovative, but was buggy and terrible and how dare they take so long to work on it. Instancing wasn't new, Anarchy Online had that! Seemless zone loading wasn't new! Gryphon flights were not impressive, gently caress Blizzard taking forever.

The best part was after launch. Who here remembers the game being unplayable for a month because they ran out of units and they couldn't spin up enough servers to handle the load? Also, you could crash a WoW server (and net yourself a ban) by bringing a bunch of players into an area. The launch version didn't include server sharding (that would be added in BC after the fiasco that was the AQ opening and the servers constantly breaking during that event: http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/19/wow-archivist-the-gates-of-ahnqiraj/), so if you wanted to troll, just get a group of about 60 players together and go run to Stormwind. Horde players used to love doing this.

Basically, from doing a lot of MMO testing, I've seen a lot of buggy messes get fixed as the engine issues get sorted out. WoW was no exception and SC is going to be just as much as a poo poo-show, save that people will actually get to watch it in action during its development (at the time, WoW was under a strict NDA).

I think a huge issue with your comparison is that blizzard had a track record of making some of the most beloved and successful pc games of all time before making WoW. They were also fronting their own development money. So the success of the game really mattered to them. They had a reputation to maintain and had their own money on the line.

Chris Roberts was out of game development for over a decade, did not have a sterling track record and didn't have his own money on the line. The pledge money he got was like a lottery ticket. He never felt like he earned it because he really didn't. He lucked into it. So he spent it frivolously on things he would enjoy like hanging out with Gary Oldman.

If you want to raise examples of other kickstarter with similar problems to start and successful ends, that'd be great. But the comparisons you raise don't really stand up to scrutiny.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

This, forever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

That sounds like a good idea for PS2-era games when blood and bullet holes were decals that got applied over a character's skin depending on where they got shot. Volition's "Red Faction" was very proud to pioneer the move away from decal-based damage. I remember because it says so on the back of the box how awesome their new procedural damage model was. That's why they made a mining game, I guess.

Is CIG using rendering techniques that were being made obsolete a decade ago?

No, that's just how it's still done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Missed opportunity to name the comic "z-fighting"

• Locked thread