Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

the pause for emphasis is what kills it

like the writer looked at that line of dialog on the page and went, gently caress, that is some good poo poo. but you know what it needs? oh, it needs a DRAMATIC loving PAUSE. we need luke cage to clearly be a broken, emotionally overcome man as he finishes this line of dialog. we need the audience to FEEL this moment. we gotta let it HANG IN THE AIR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Desperado Bones posted:

Haha. Bunch of babies. I like Doctor Who, David Tennant is actually my favorite doctor and I'm loving him to pieces as a bad guy. gently caress, so creepy!!

Yea, my feelings exactly. Though revival I honestly prefer Matt Smith. Like some stuff is hard to shake like in the latest Bond movie The guy who plays Moriarty in Sherlock is in it as the head of the unified Mi-5 and Mi-6, who wants to create a world wide information sharing network. Obviously because I've only seen him as a villain, I knew right off he was a villain in Bond. I hoped I was wrong because it was too obvious.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, my feelings exactly. Though revival I honestly prefer Matt Smith. Like some stuff is hard to shake like in the latest Bond movie The guy who plays Moriarty in Sherlock is in it as the head of the unified Mi-5 and Mi-6, who wants to create a world wide information sharing network. Obviously because I've only seen him as a villain, I knew right off he was a villain in Bond. I hoped I was wrong because it was too obvious.

Matt Smith's weird head is distracting, he was good, shame he was in the crappy Terminator movie. Also, fans can be weird. There were a bunch complaining about Tom Hiddleston not showing in every Marvel movie.

Anyways, I'm starting chapter 8.

Thoughts about chapter 7: I went like "NO WAY FUUUUCK" with the messed up love declaration. For a moment I was expecting him to tell everyone to shoot, that was tense. A general thing I liked is that you see Cap and the gang being cool superheroes fighting aliens and saving the world in the movies, while in the series they destroyed and scarred a bunch of lives. Glad they are showing both sides.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Finished the show today and really liked it. Not sure if I like this or Daredevil better, both for different equally compelling reasons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like them both for different reasons. JJ is just a cool loving story with some top shelf acting, but some really crap dialog at times. DD is just loving cool, with a dodgey finale.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I really enjoyed the background music for JJ, really felt noir and investigative. Also enjoy how every character, major or minor, is involved in the plot. Good plot structuring

1x08

jesus christ they sure used the neighbor lady alright :stare:

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Finished the show today and really liked it. Not sure if I like this or Daredevil better, both for different equally compelling reasons.
Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. There's nothing in JJ that compares as a setpiece to DD's hallway fight. But JJ had a lot more ambition and much more compelling themes going for it, and it mostly pulled them off, some clunky dialogue aside. I've also been on a noir kick for the last year or whatever, so the boozy atmosphere fits that a lot better than blind samurai man.

On the earlier subject of dudes-save-the-lady's-day cliche (1x13), it's funny that when Luke actually started doing that with success--picking up the hotel manager and moving her out of the way and intimidating the club owner--he's shown to be doing so while under the influence of Kilgrave.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

AtraMorS posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. There's nothing in JJ that compares as a setpiece to DD's hallway fight. But JJ had a lot more ambition and much more compelling themes going for it, and it mostly pulled them off, some clunky dialogue aside. I've also been on a noir kick for the last year or whatever, so the boozy atmosphere fits that a lot better than blind samurai man.

On the earlier subject of dudes-save-the-lady's-day cliche (1x13), it's funny that when Luke actually started doing that with success--picking up the hotel manager and moving her out of the way and intimidating the club owner--he's shown to be doing so while under the influence of Kilgrave.

that's not really saving the day, but just being useful.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Episode 11, here comes the bulimia and body image issues. I swear this was created in a laboratory to push all the women's issues buttons

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Hollismason posted:

that's not really saving the day, but just being useful.
Otoh, he never really did anything she couldn't do for herself.

edit: not in those scenes, anyway.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't think elaborate fight scenes would have made sense in JJ anyway. She isn't trained in martial arts and none of the show is actually about fighting; it's not like Daredevil where there's literally a clan of ninjas after him. You may as well complain that Veronica Mars didn't have good fight scenes.

I think the most cathartic moment of the show for me was when she grabbed Kilgrave's hand and he shouted to let her go, and when she realized she wasn't obeying, you could see a smile start to form on her face before he got away.

Periodiko posted:

An anime girl looking surprised???

I... have no idea how that happened. Sorry. It was supposed to be a panel of her swearing a whole bunch of curses at SHIELD.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The crazy cop guy and Trish actually do some pretty sweet judo in the show. That's always nice to see.

It makes sense to me that Jessica and Luke fight the way they do. I wouldn't expect someone with super strength to learn to fight properly, they probably wouldn't see a pressing need... and how would they even train anyway? They'd kill their sparring partners for a start.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Full Series Spoilers

Finished the show this afternoon, and I loved it. I really like the character of Jessica Jones, and that she has my favorite street level powerset (largely "naked" super strength) made the series a lot of fun. To get the Daredevil comparison out of the way, I think the former show was largely more focused and solid until that terrible ending, and Jessica Jones has its issues sprinkled throughout. They're both good though, and I cannot wait for the Defenders.

Kilgrave was an amazing villain. His justification for being a lovely rapist was the perfect kind of "do you really not see why it isn't okay to make this other people's problem?" selfishness. He was a completely terrifying garbage dick.

Luke Cage was awesome. I'm hoping he still gets his own series with Iron Fist. I think my favorite moment in the entire season was when he told Kilgrave he and Jessica were lovers, and you can just see the jealous impotence in his eyes.

I hate the Nuke subplot. I was all the way on board with Will Simpson being a guy who screws things up with good intentions and bad judgement, but the attempt to bolt on the super soldier history failed. Him shooting the detective and literally burning down their victory was the low point of the series.

My only other complaint is the part where the weird sister rallies the support group and they free Kilgrave. Stop letting your villain get caught if you're going to rely on really dumb poo poo to set him free, writers!

I think I'm going to go and rewatch this and Daredevil, episode for episode all next week.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 9: I actually jumped out of my chair and screamed "OH MY gently caress" when Kilgrave told Trish to put a bullet in her head. Didn't realize how much I cared about the character until then.

God this show is amazing. My wife complained a bit about how Kilgrave (ep 10) keeps getting away but I mean it's par for the course for this kind of show and honestly part of the "fun" is watching the heroes almost succeed and then watch in horror as something that you/they should have seen coming makes the plan go horribly wrong and the villain escapes

Also (ep 10) Hogarth obviously isn't that good of a lawyer because A. easiest self-defense case ever and B. she would have known how to actually explain what Kilgrove made her do and not halfass it by leaving the whole "Doctor you trust" part out

Also I'm loving the little bits of The Doctor that I swear Tennant's throwing in to mess with the Who fans watching, like (ep 7) popping up from behind a cubicle and (ep 8) making the same head tilt crying face in the cell that he did at the very end of his last episode.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Just finished and I absolutely loved it. Tennant was the best villain I've seen in quite some time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
11: "Did you bugger my changes with her?" "No, you screwed that up yourself. "

:drat:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Finished it

1x13 No moralizing. No agonizing. No sophistry. She fooled him, she got his hands on him, she snapped his loving neck. gently caress yes.

Overall: Bit less consistent than Daredevil but I liked the highs more than I disliked the lows, so this is my new favorite Marvel thing. Also lol at everyone that thinks Carrie Anne Moss's character was irrelevant to the show when she's just Kilgrave with tits and no super powers.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Watched it all. I liked it. Not as much as Daredevil, but it was very good. My only complaint is that I would have liked a couple more not-Kilgrave cases in the beginning before ramping up to the main plot. But I appreciate that they only had a limited amount of episodes to work with and they had a lot of story to tell.

I had only the vaguest of ideas who most of the characters were before watching the show. Whatever series jessica jones exists in, it was not in any of the comics I ever read, though Cage showed up occasionally. So I wasn't expecting to be as engrossed as I was.

I'm digging the hell out of netflix's marvel deal. Looking forward to Punisher and DD2.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
This was a very good show. It started out good and just ramped up until episode 10. The last few episodes were good but it feels as though the show could have been two episodes shorter for reasons I can't put my finger on just yet.

I'm wondering where they take this show for a second, inevitable season. I'm not sure if the IGH stuff is setup for a second season of Jessica Jones or for the Defenders series. It was strange that there wasn't really any references to Daredevil other than the appearance of not-night nurse. This series felt more connected to recent Agents of SHIELD goings-ons than Daredevil what with episode 4. Obviously, Luke Cage appears in this and has the next Netflix series, filming right now.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Do we know any plot details for the Luke Cage series? Is it set after the events of Jessica Jones or is it pretty much its own thing entirely?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Should Luke say "We hosed" or even "We had sex"? No, "You let me be....inside you". that's totally more organic and naturalistic. that's how people talk about sex. yep. that's how sex works. beep boop oh look at that i'm actually a human-shaped robot

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Toxxupation posted:

Should Luke say "We hosed" or even "We had sex"? No, "You let me be....inside you". that's totally more organic and naturalistic. that's how people talk about sex. yep. that's how sex works. beep boop oh look at that i'm actually a human-shaped robot

Oscar worthy line, not sure what you're complaining about

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

no i totally agree, oscar-worthy screenwriting that totally was the earned and weighty emotive high point of the Big Tense Confrontation Reveal between the male lead and female lead of the show- oh god, my pants, they're aflame. please, somebody put my pants out. I'm suffering third degree burns from my spontaneous pants combustion

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Toxxupation posted:

I'm suffering third degree burns from my spontaneous ... pants combustion

Dramatic pauses works on ... everything.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 22, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

adhuin posted:

Dramatic pauses works on ... everything.

bitches... right?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There was a standout incredible stinker line in terms of dialogue every 2.5 episodes or so but the rest of it must have been doing something right because I really cared about the characters.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I think why I liked it a bit more than DD is that it was a comic book thing, but didn't feel like a comic book thing. Even with super strength and mind control and everything, that felt secondary to the actual investigations and stuff.

This is exactly why I DON'T like it as much (still working my way through). If I'm watching a comic book show there's a reason for that goddamn it.

This is still amazing though and god bless this Netflix Marvel deal and the MCU in general. So much awesome stuff. Tennant is MVP.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'm almost done with the series but Mike Colter is an excellent Luke Cage.

radlum
May 13, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is exactly why I DON'T like it as much (still working my way through). If I'm watching a comic book show there's a reason for that goddamn it.

This is still amazing though and god bless this Netflix Marvel deal and the MCU in general. So much awesome stuff. Tennant is MVP.

I loved the show but I still prefer Daredevil because it felt more comic book-y; it's a perfect match between gritty TV show and (gritty) comic book. Since Alias wasn't that comic booky to begin with, that doesn't apply to this series. Loved it anyway.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

I loved the show but I still prefer Daredevil because it felt more comic book-y; it's a perfect match between gritty TV show and (gritty) comic book. Since Alias wasn't that comic booky to begin with, that doesn't apply to this series. Loved it anyway.

My thoughts exactly yep. Though I haven't finished this yet. But this is great, DD was mindblowing.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

1x07

The entire last 12 minutes or so was so intense on so many levels. I went in expecting Kilgrave's manipulations to be constantly sinister and obviously evil but its so much more powerful when he truly doesn't grasp why what he's doing is wrong. God what an amazing villain.

1x08

Whenever a show has a serious villain doing normal things in casual wear, I feel like there's always a moment where the villain either becomes less threatening or the dissonance works spectacularly. I think having the waiter and waitress around really prevented Kilgrave from sliding into the former once we learned he wouldn't hurt Jessica. Well, for now.

I can see why Jessica's refusal to kill the bastard would frustrate people but so far its really nailing the noir tone for me: hero making stupid mistakes thanks to being caught up in their personal faults.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
It was Daredevil except not as good and written by Joss Whedon disciples and a Dexter writer.

Someone casually says "Big Bads".

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Junkfist posted:

Oh dear, oh my! I do believe I'm getting the vapors!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
lol if you think Jessica didn't watch Buffy growing up.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If anyone posts the words "TV tropes" I am literally going to kill myself

oh wait poo poo

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Junkfist posted:

It was Daredevil except not as good and written by Joss Whedon disciples and a Dexter writer.

I'm guessing these are supposed to be negatives, but they're all positives! Goes to show how wibbly wobbly timey wimey everything is.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The sex scenes were very bad I felt uncomfortable when blonde friend said they had chemistry because they stood next to each other in a hallway that was bad too.

Hope cast isn't racist.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

That was a really weird line, especially from two characters who started banging within a couple hours of meeting. I think the show even said that Luke is with a new lady every week. Doesn't sound like he would be that broken up about where he put his dick.

Junkfist posted:

The sex scenes were very bad I felt uncomfortable

This is one of the rare shows where I felt that the sex wasn't gratuitous. Part of what brings them together is that they can actually be themselves around each other, including having sex without worrying about literally breaking the other person. It actually does help build their characters.

Chomposaur fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 22, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Junkfist posted:

Daredevil was literally created and showrun by two former Joss-show writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Rarity posted:

Daredevil was literally created and showrun by two former Joss-show writers.

They did a good job literally not being as bad as Jessica Jones.

I thought super-soldier did a very strange job eating pussy it looked like he was bobbing for apples or something down there.