Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I found this thread because of the griefing thread. This is all extremely entertaining, especially as someone who has not given any of the parties any money ever. I'm honest to goodness shocked to see Derek Smart of all people as a hero, especially since I vaguely remember Lowtax banning him over a dozen years ago. And that makes me feel old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
:science: It is my expert opinion that z-fighting mantissa 64-bit double-precision floating point quanternion, and I'll brook no assertions to the contrary. :colbert:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

KillHour posted:

No, that's just how it's still done.

In that case they should add Dwarf-Fortess-esque damage modelling as a stretch goal. If you render each individual cell the Z fighting will average out and go away.

Batts
Apr 4, 2009

D_Smart posted:

I proved that today with two of my friends. And I'm going to be writing about it once I've formulated my thoughts.

And yeah, from what I can tell thus far, they cheated. As I mentioned here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=164480&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post452967428

Hey Derek,

Speaking of refunds for games, I bought another bad space game a while back I want a refund for. I think it was called battlecruiser 3000ad or something, do you know if theres anybody I can contact about a refund? Sadly its been like 10 years so I don't think I can do a chargeback like Star Citizen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

In that case they should add Dwarf-Fortess-esque damage modelling as a stretch goal. If you render each individual cell the Z fighting will average out and go away.

:what:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Oh yeah. Why have respawn timers when you could just simulate each body in fluid dynamics and then predict organ failure in realtime based on locational damage! It's exactly the sort of feature creep croberts loves.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wise Learned Man posted:

:science: It is my expert opinion that z-fighting mantissa 64-bit double-precision floating point quanternion, and I'll brook no assertions to the contrary. :colbert:

Wrong. Especially the last part.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
You could license it to hospitals to teach EMTs! Imagine the advances in first-aid if we could predict blood-loss based on injury location. Croberts is saving lives! Don't you see?!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i just want someone to aim at the nearest space station and fly towards it in non warp. see if they have made any progress towards it after 10 mins assuming they havent crashed yet lol

Alternatively, go towards the gas giant and land on it

I just want to see the novelty of someone walking around on a giant several kilometers square pixel that is supposed to be a not-solid surface

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Justin Tyme posted:

Alternatively, go towards the gas giant and land on it

I just want to see the novelty of someone walking around on a giant several kilometers square pixel that is supposed to be a not-solid surface

From the 2.0 PTU patch notes:

quote:

Approaching the atmosphere of a planet too closely will result in your ship receiving a warning, and if you continue flying toward it for too long, your ship will begin to rattle apart and be destroyed.
This is not how the functionality will work long term, and is temporary for the purposes of testing.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

CrazyLoon posted:

Aw, man! Then that's 30 mins of my life I'll never get back for singing 'Goon-de-yadda' into my mic for nothing. :( It was a great idea at any rate, or at least I thought so, but eh - fine...a break it is I suppose, as well as on my end then. Thanks for telling me at least.

Oh, that's still happening; he's just not ready to post it yet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

D_Smart posted:

Granted he is playing solo, but this is one of the coolest Star Citizen videos you will see today. Stuff like this is what pisses me off the most about what could've been were the game's scope kept in check :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PajwXmZHrFw

I'm sorry Octopode had to go on the warpath nitpicking about this comment because it feels like you're letting your true feelings show and it's cool that you can find something to sincerely praise from a game the rest of the internet seems to think you have a vendetta against.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fuzzknot posted:

Oh, that's still happening; he's just not ready to post it yet.

Good, I did my Goon-de-yada's in 3 part harmony.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
this thread is so good

sometimes i feel down and i come look at this thread and i feel a lot better

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Captn Kurp posted:

this thread is so good

sometimes i feel down and i come look at this thread and i feel a lot better

Star Citizen is a very entertaining game.

Especially if you're not playing it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3pkrow/why_admiral_bishops_speech_falls_flat_and_how_to/cw7e7iy?context=3

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

"the good guys"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Remember all the good things hitler did.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Batts posted:

Hey Derek,

Speaking of refunds for games, I bought another bad space game a while back I want a refund for. I think it was called battlecruiser 3000ad or something, do you know if theres anybody I can contact about a refund? Sadly its been like 10 years so I don't think I can do a chargeback like Star Citizen.

The difference being BC3000 was a game.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I bet the 1 point was from Karl

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

Whoever has access to the PTU, please go land on the gas giant and walk around on it

I can't believe they put Ben in the game

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I hate quanternions. They aren't exposed to blueprints and it's really hard to run on the ceiling without them.

sants
May 17, 2003

free beavis
nice meme on reddit

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

God damnit, that's not what Realpolitik is. Also, loving "I'm not saying Hitler was right, but look at all these brown people destroying the country"

Lord_NeckBeard
Oct 26, 2015
So, I'm behind and don't have time to watch a live feed. How many worlds are there, right now? How many missions available, right now? Is multicrew a thing yet?

One of the bigger laughs of all this is from the fact that "multicrew" gaming as a turret gunner is never ever going to be fun. Has anybody ever actually enjoyed playing in a turret for more than 10 minutes? It lacks depth, requires a pilot and whatever multicrew role that they throw in that will inevitably be boring to play it. It's just another stupid nostalgia play to star wars and WW2. Thing is, turrets were never effective as a defense for individual planes. You had huge packs of ww2 bombers take out minimal german fighters as a group. One bomber had several gunners but few kills. It's also something that has never really been fun in video games, probs for the same reason.

Even if they release this game, it's going to suck, and all it's potential customers have either bought the game or are aware of it and know it's bullshit. It can't succeed.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

D_Smart posted:

They may break $100m by year end if the sales hold up.

What people are missing is that right now there is no "game" and not much to do. It's just an amazing look tech demo still. And over 90% of the stuff they touted, the most important being multi-crew,
isn't working properly.

I think that 2.0 is going to be in the PTU maybe right through the year because there is no way they will take it out of there and make it a live release with all these bugs in it. Which was precisely what I'd said back in Oct that 2.0 probably won't be out until 2016.

I believe I already said 2-3 years and another $75m+. And that's not even taking into account SQ42 expenses.

I still do not believe that this project - as is - will survive 2016. If it does, I would be very shocked indeed.

lol 2.0 will be live within a week.

Also, prepare to be very shocked. Haha god drat you're so delusional it's hilarious.

Gryphon0468 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 22, 2015

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Toops posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_qAtqm4XUI

guys help me i'm questioning everything right now.

That uh, actually looks pretty good. :gerty:

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

Maldoror posted:

That's because it is... This is what real game development is and the result of patience paying off.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Gryphon0468 posted:

That's because it is... This is what real game development is and the result of patience paying off.

Without even a hint of sarcasm

Nicely done

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"CIG dev kill" sounds promising.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Maldoror posted:

It looks like a prettier but simplified Angels Fall First.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Gryphon0468 posted:

You realize that now that 2.0's come out that you, you personally and those like you, are the number one best argument against playing it, right? If/when the game does come out, goons will happily play it as a self contained group and nobody will remember any of this. All your rage, all your insistence that the game's going to be perfect in advance of any evidence- none of it has moved development along one little bit. None of it swayed any opinions. Indeed, the only thing that has shifted the tone here was actual gameplay. All you're doing is giving yourself an ulcer and serving to further sour the game community that used to actually be an interesting group to contribute to. I look forward to the day that the groups of bitter fanatics like yourself who've stuck it out so long actually have to sit down and play with one another- and the day after that when they inevitably get crushed by the people who don't take themselves so seriously. It will be almost as rewarding as reading your continued contributions to this discussion.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs

Sarsapariller posted:

You realize that now that 2.0's come out that you, you personally and those like you, are the number one best argument against playing it, right? If/when the game does come out, goons will happily play it as a self contained group and nobody will remember any of this. All your rage, all your insistence that the game's going to be perfect in advance of any evidence- none of it has moved development along one little bit. None of it swayed any opinions. Indeed, the only thing that has shifted the tone here was actual gameplay. All you're doing is giving yourself an ulcer and serving to further sour the game community that used to actually be an interesting group to contribute to. I look forward to the day that the groups of bitter fanatics like yourself who've stuck it out so long actually have to sit down and play with one another- and the day after that when they inevitably get crushed by the people who don't take themselves so seriously. It will be almost as rewarding as reading your continued contributions to this discussion.

Pro-casual reporting for duty, sir.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
OK so even if it ran flawlessly I don't think this game has any chance of actually being fun. I mean people are saying it looks 'good' and yes, the graphics are great, but it is thematically dull as dishwater and all the little touches that took them a long time to do, like those complex animations every time your guy does anything, would only serve to make the game more boring than it already is. And the guy who said being in a turret sucks was right. And what about the poor sap who has to spend the whole time staring at a shield display?

People want to be captain kirk because he gets to have alien sex and double-fist punch lizardmen and shoot lasers at klingons, nobody dreams of being the guy who sits behind him staring at a computer panel for the whole mission

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

So, I'm behind and don't have time to watch a live feed. How many worlds are there, right now? How many missions available, right now? Is multicrew a thing yet?

One of the bigger laughs of all this is from the fact that "multicrew" gaming as a turret gunner is never ever going to be fun. Has anybody ever actually enjoyed playing in a turret for more than 10 minutes? It lacks depth, requires a pilot and whatever multicrew role that they throw in that will inevitably be boring to play it. It's just another stupid nostalgia play to star wars and WW2. Thing is, turrets were never effective as a defense for individual planes. You had huge packs of ww2 bombers take out minimal german fighters as a group. One bomber had several gunners but few kills. It's also something that has never really been fun in video games, probs for the same reason.

Even if they release this game, it's going to suck, and all it's potential customers have either bought the game or are aware of it and know it's bullshit. It can't succeed.

People will be fighting to play the turret gunner. You don't want to be the guy stuck monitoring the waste recycling systems, do you?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the 15 seconds to sit in the space chair is gonna piss me off

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Same

Goons will grief the gently caress out of everyone else playing this if a full game gets release.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Links his twitter account, calls you "creepy cyberstalkers" for reading it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AP posted:

Links his twitter account, calls you "creepy cyberstalkers" for reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoreFire
Nov 22, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

Whoever has access to the PTU, please go land on the gas giant and walk around on it

Also, if what Derek says is true, shouldn't it be pretty easy to test whether or not 64 bit precision is in by just using the go-fast (but not the quantum thing) for a minute or two in one direction with two people and observe the stutter on each other? Because by the looks of it you can't drop out of quantum drive which would lend credence to the theory that it's just a bunch of little zones and it's not really one giant game space.

Just wanted to point out that yeah, you can manually use quantum drive without aiming at a point. You can zip around the map and see the gas giant move past, along with the various destination points via jumping manually. You drop out in empty space. No need to select a destination. Apparently you can jump all the way to the edge of the map, but I haven't tried that yet.

If it wasn't 64-bit, then the map would break if you attempted to do that. It's more free-form than Elite is (where solar-system level supercruise is instanced and not part of the same map).

The stutter that was present in the 32-bit AC maps when you neared the boundary is not present when you fly away at high speed. If 64-bit was not implemented, then the game would crash shortly after leaving the boundaries of the station due to going far past the 32-bit limits that were present in the old AC maps/zones.

I'm happy to upload a video demonstrating this in action if someone wants.

• Locked thread