Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

You're backing SC? Shameful kitty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Frankly I'm just amazed that they released anything. Good work Star Citizen. You sort of exist and could be a game.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

CoreFire posted:

Just wanted to point out that yeah, you can manually use quantum drive without aiming at a point. You can zip around the map and see the gas giant move past, along with the various destination points via jumping manually. You drop out in empty space. No need to select a destination. Apparently you can jump all the way to the edge of the map, but I haven't tried that yet.

If it wasn't 64-bit, then the map would break if you attempted to do that. It's more free-form than Elite is (where solar-system level supercruise is instanced and not part of the same map).

The stutter that was present in the 32-bit AC maps when you neared the boundary is not present when you fly away at high speed. If 64-bit was not implemented, then the game would crash shortly after leaving the boundaries of the station due to going far past the 32-bit limits that were present in the old AC maps/zones.

I'm happy to upload a video demonstrating this in action if someone wants.

Actually please do (seriouspost) I am interested in seeing someone try to break/demonstrate these mechanics. It looks like all the destinations/points of interest are in one or two octets relative to the planet, off the top of my head I would think to try to get behind the gas giant relative to where everything else is, set one of the points as a destination, and try to warp through the planet. Also obviously just warp towards nothing (maybe towards the sun?) and let it run for like ten minutes and see where it takes you and then get out and walk around to check for stuttering. Also try landing on the planets/the moon with the rings. If possible, have a friend jump next to you in a separate ship so you can look at each other vast distances away to also check for stuttering.

We have to people here, you and Derek, who have two diametrically opposed statements about engine capabilities so it's high time someone threw down and offered some proof. I mean, I guess it's possible they are faking it and the jumping is just a gussied up load screen for another instance (since it does look like ships that jump disappear completely to observers) but hell man you can say a lot of stuff but without proof it's all just hot air. In my opinion it's much more entertaining to have video evidence poo poo isn't working like they say it is rather than just assuming so.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 22, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

CoreFire posted:

Just wanted to point out that yeah, you can manually use quantum drive without aiming at a point. You can zip around the map and see the gas giant move past, along with the various destination points via jumping manually. You drop out in empty space. No need to select a destination. Apparently you can jump all the way to the edge of the map, but I haven't tried that yet.

If it wasn't 64-bit, then the map would break if you attempted to do that. It's more free-form than Elite is (where solar-system level supercruise is instanced and not part of the same map).

The stutter that was present in the 32-bit AC maps when you neared the boundary is not present when you fly away at high speed. If 64-bit was not implemented, then the game would crash shortly after leaving the boundaries of the station due to going far past the 32-bit limits that were present in the old AC maps/zones.

Can you video getting the planet between you and one of the destinations and engaging quantum drive please? I'm interested to see what happens.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Huh, some of these videos actually don't look half bad

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

When the bar has been lowered to the eighth layer of Dante's inferno anything looks good.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

AP posted:

Links his twitter account, calls you "creepy cyberstalkers" for reading it.

Karl, you are literally reading this post.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

WEEKLY DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Delays are good, publishers are evil, great stuff coming in 2 weeks hope the dog doesn't eat our homework again.

Latest jumppoint.

The 100 backer wall thing is going to cause drama, "what do you mean I'm only 101? I gave you $37k."

Star Citizen, when even the developers think you're high.

AP fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 22, 2015

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Sillybones posted:

Karl, you are literally reading this post.

The German 3rd Reich failed global domination because of people like Karl. Incompetent German accountants who fails at lying even if they try very hard.

CoreFire
Nov 22, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

Actually please do (seriouspost) I am interested in seeing someone try to break/demonstrate these mechanics. It looks like all the destinations/points of interest are in one or two octets relative to the planet, off the top of my head I would think to try to get behind the gas giant relative to where everything else is, set one of the points as a destination, and try to warp through the planet. Also obviously just warp towards nothing (maybe towards the sun?) and let it run for like ten minutes and see where it takes you and then get out and walk around to check for stuttering. Also try landing on the planets/the moon with the rings. If possible, have a friend jump next to you in a separate ship so you can look at each other vast distances away to also check for stuttering.

We have to people here, you and Derek, who have two diametrically opposed statements about engine capabilities so it's high time someone threw down and offered some proof. I mean, I guess it's possible they are faking it and the jumping is just a gussied up load screen for another instance (since it does look like ships that jump disappear completely to observers) but hell man you can say a lot of stuff but without proof it's all just hot air. In my opinion it's much more entertaining to have video evidence poo poo isn't working like they say it is rather than just assuming so.

Depending on how stable the game is gonna be tonight, I'll try to get footage to upload within the next few hours. Otherwise there should be a patch tomorrow or monday and I'll get the footage then.

Trying to manually jump at a planet will result in your death if you get too close. You'll get a "obstructed" warning if you try to jump at a destination with a planet in the way. Planetary landings are not in this build.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Why is the alpha called 2.0 and not 0.001 or so?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Anon likes airhorn gas:

(fairly safe for work)
http://imgur.com/YBilMIC

:gary: PAAAARRRRPPPP!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

CoreFire posted:

You'll get a "obstructed" warning if you try to jump at a destination with a planet in the way.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

I see Imperium is making trouble on the forums again, those guys are troublemakers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CoreFire posted:

please do

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

T.G. Xarbala posted:

D_Smart posted:

Granted he is playing solo, but this is one of the coolest Star Citizen videos you will see today. Stuff like this is what pisses me off the most about what could've been were the game's scope kept in check :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PajwXmZHrFw

I'm sorry Octopode had to go on the warpath nitpicking about this comment because it feels like you're letting your true feelings show and it's cool that you can find something to sincerely praise from a game the rest of the internet seems to think you have a vendetta against.

I just ignore and/or block those people.

I am a space combat fan and I love the genre. I am not the sort of person who is going to be dishonest just because I'm pissed about something. For example, I have stated - repeatedly - that the game looks fantastic, that if they could pull it off that it would be outstanding. People ignore those statements but instead harp and focus on the dissenting voice. Then attack. And when I reciprocate, or incessantly troll them, they cry foul. I mean seriously, why poke a bear if you're not looking to be scratched and/or mercilessly mauled?

You all know that for the past 30 yrs since I embarked on this journey, I've never - ever - made a game outside of that genre. My beef with Star Citizen has nothing to do with a vendetta, jealousy or any of that. I'm righteously pissed that Chris Roberts has consistently lied to everyone, while talking and spending our money foolishly in try to develop a game that has blown out of scope.

I am not without fault, but I was raised right. So things like honor, respect and integrity are very important to me. And I have very strong convictions about a lot of things. To the extent that if I embark on something that I'm certain of, nothing deters me from that goal. With this Star Citizen fiasco, there is no doubt in my mind that I am right with my opinions that I've stated in my blogs and in other social media. The fact that people see it fit to attack, disparage and harass me, just makes me strive harder to prove that I'm right because I'm the only one who can vindicate myself. Though arguably, if I am right - as I think that I am - then Chris Roberts will be the source of said vindication in due time.

We all here are gamers. And thus far, I have yet to meet anyone who has seen anything in Star Citizen that makes it unique or which shows any indication that Chris can deliver all he promised to backers. We have glorified levels (inside and outside), all of which are intricately detailed, look fantastic etc. We also have a series of bugging modules which, if fixed/completed, could end up being an awesome part of a greater whole. But the core gameplay is nothing more than a shooter in new clothes. Now if we were talking about the likes of a Wing Commander or Freelancer remake, that would be fantastic. And that game would have been finished by now and for $02-$30m. So now if he does pull a Rabbit out of his hat and delivers some type of game, from anyone who knows how to make these games - or even to hardcore gamers - it would be obvious that the original "vision 1.0" game could have been made for $20-$30m by any triple-A studio on a short leash and with a focused team.

What we have right now, is not a game. It is a glorified tech demo mixed in with proof-of-concept underpinnings. It's a sales and marketing platform. Which is precisely why he needs to keep on raising money because this "vision 2.0" dream, as I've said before, is 2-3 years and another $75m+ away. Assuming they complete the tech they're now building to power and build the game.

Anyway, here is another awesome video. I have been cataloging all the cool and horrid ones from this 2.0 pre-Alpha build for an upcoming technical blog which focuses solely on the merits of the game and not the drama surrounding it.

Again, this is what could've been. And for as long as you all have been gamers, I'm certain that this is not the first time that you've seen an awesome looking project, collapse and/or fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC17567Zg8Y

ps: You should be able to still the jittering, flickering etc that I've been going on about. And this is with the latest patch btw.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Batts posted:

Hey Derek,

Speaking of refunds for games, I bought another bad space game a while back I want a refund for. I think it was called battlecruiser 3000ad or something, do you know if theres anybody I can contact about a refund? Sadly its been like 10 years so I don't think I can do a chargeback like Star Citizen.

Normally I just ignore these now. But I'll bite.

That game was completed - by me - and later released for free - by me. That was back in 1997. Grow up.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

You realize that now that 2.0's come out that you, you personally and those like you, are the number one best argument against playing it, right? If/when the game does come out, goons will happily play it as a self contained group and nobody will remember any of this. All your rage, all your insistence that the game's going to be perfect in advance of any evidence- none of it has moved development along one little bit. None of it swayed any opinions. Indeed, the only thing that has shifted the tone here was actual gameplay. All you're doing is giving yourself an ulcer and serving to further sour the game community that used to actually be an interesting group to contribute to. I look forward to the day that the groups of bitter fanatics like yourself who've stuck it out so long actually have to sit down and play with one another- and the day after that when they inevitably get crushed by the people who don't take themselves so seriously. It will be almost as rewarding as reading your continued contributions to this discussion.

^this

I've said the same thing pretty much over and over. These rear end-clowns are the ones who have brought toxicity to the Star Citizen community and given it a branding that it's never - ever - going to shake off.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Google Butt posted:

the 15 seconds to sit in the space chair is gonna piss me off

I agree. There are simply way too many aspects of the game which, while immersive, break the "continuity of flow". And this something that Chris Roberts simply doesn't get, because he's a terrible designer. He's an ideas man.

It's the same with cut-scenes. After the first few times, you just skip through them.

Think how many times you are going to be running to a console, get your ship, open so many doors etc - just to get back into a game because you died. And if you die a lot, well, you can't skip any of that. This is precisely why I've said before that most of these are just distracting "fluff" and not indicative of a game. Yes, a game is being built, but even if it does get completed, are the good parts going to overshadow the bad? From what I can tell, no.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

D_Smart posted:

I've said the same thing pretty much over and over. These rear end-clowns are the ones who have brought toxicity to the Star Citizen community and given it a branding that it's never - ever - going to shake off.

To be fair, the vocal part of pretty much all online game communities consists of rear end-clowns, even if some are worse than others.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If your ship blows up you can eject and float in space in real time until a medical professional recovers you.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
So the flight model I've seen so far in videos posted here is that you can throw even the largest ships around like they're on a gimbal. Is this the final planned model? Is there going to be no momentum implemented?

starkebn fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 22, 2015

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

Sarsapariller posted:

You realize that now that 2.0's come out that you, you personally and those like you, are the number one best argument against playing it, right? If/when the game does come out, goons will happily play it as a self contained group and nobody will remember any of this. All your rage, all your insistence that the game's going to be perfect in advance of any evidence- none of it has moved development along one little bit. None of it swayed any opinions. Indeed, the only thing that has shifted the tone here was actual gameplay. All you're doing is giving yourself an ulcer and serving to further sour the game community that used to actually be an interesting group to contribute to. I look forward to the day that the groups of bitter fanatics like yourself who've stuck it out so long actually have to sit down and play with one another- and the day after that when they inevitably get crushed by the people who don't take themselves so seriously. It will be almost as rewarding as reading your continued contributions to this discussion.

Haha you could not be more wrong pal. I'm not the one going on twitter rants and making GBS threads on every advance. I'm not the one devoting thousands of hours and posts to laughing at a company trying to do something no one else has. You people are the ones raging about how CIG are evil and Chris Roberts is a coke-lord. I've never said the game will be perfect and know perfectly well it won't be a perfect fit for everyone. Bitter fanatic? Haha I get happier every day seeing the progress and knowing you're all gonna have to eat your words.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gryphon0468 posted:

Haha you could not be more wrong pal. I'm not the one going on twitter rants and making GBS threads on every advance. I'm not the one devoting thousands of hours and posts to laughing at a company trying to do something no one else has. You people are the ones raging about how CIG are evil and Chris Roberts is a coke-lord. I've never said the game will be perfect and know perfectly well it won't be a perfect fit for everyone. Bitter fanatic? Haha I get happier every day seeing the progress and knowing you're all gonna have to eat your words.

See you in the Verse, citizen.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

MeLKoR posted:

See you in the Verse, citizen.

Same.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gryphon0468 posted:

Its funny because if the game comes out and is good then everyone will just play it. There is literally no downside to making fun of this ongoing blues brothers car crash of a development process, no one will eat their words, there will be zero consequences. Lol.

edit: lol, 50 posts all about star citizen, 20c per post, nice work

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 22, 2015

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Gryphon0468 posted:

Well, you sound bitter as hell. And most of the people in this thread are actually laughing. It's comedy, not rage, that makes people post here.

That said, why do you even bother replying? If I believed in this game I wouldn't expose myself to this kind of torture. Just chill out.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

:yarg:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Gryphon0468 posted:

Chris Roberts is a coke-lord.

I have seen this mentioned a few times, do you actually have any evidence to back that up? That's a hell of an accusation to level at someone.

AP fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 22, 2015

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

Thing is, turrets were never effective as a defense for individual planes. You had huge packs of ww2 bombers take out minimal german fighters as a group. One bomber had several gunners but few kills. It's also something that has never really been fun in video games, probs for the same reason.

Very little in the game makes sense if you spend more than a couple of minutes thinking about it. The creator wanted to recreate the spaceship battle scenes from Star Wars. There is a targeting reticle, and things go pew pew pew. There really is no 'realism' beyond that. You could even go one step beyond and question why you are doing any shooting (or piloting) manually.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

AP posted:

I have seen this mentioned a few times, do you actually have any evidence to back that up? That's a hell of an accusation to level at someone.

the poster has sworn a goon oath of honour.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

serious norman posted:

Why is the alpha called 2.0 and not 0.001 or so?

delusions of progress

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gryphon0468 posted:

your posts really make me yearn for inclusion in the awesome world of SC fandom, yessir

CoreFire
Nov 22, 2015

"And thus far, I have yet to meet anyone who has seen anything in Star Citizen that makes it unique or which shows any indication that Chris can deliver all he promised to backers."
Then you're really not looking in the right places. For a chunk of backers, 2.0 is the indication that Chris can deliver the game. It's the combination of most the engine's required technical work completed and put into a playable space. The real gritty stuff is out of the way and they can focus on asset/feature production.

"it would be obvious that the original "vision 1.0" game could have been made for $20-$30m by any triple-A studio"
And? If Chris made a $20 million game with $90 million of backer money, you'd probably still be here telling people that he stole the rest and purchased a plane or something. It only makes sense to expand the game to take full advantage of that additional income. If you made Line of Defense for $20 million after raising $90 million, then pointed at it and said "oh yeah, that's a $90 million game right there", it'd be very dishonest towards your consumers. Chris stated at the start that all money goes towards development, so he's doing just that.

"Assuming they complete the tech they're now building to power and build the game."
I see you say this multiple times, yet most of the game building tech is already done. 64-bit is done. Multi-zone physics grids are done. The germany studio is now working on the DX12 rendering pipeline whilst DevOps is implementing their new layered instancing system to handle large player counts. You could make that point a year ago, but it seems irrelevant now.

"Again, this is what could've been"
Uh, it's happening right now if you didn't notice. Unless your concept of time is different to the rest of us. If the game was stuck with the original ~$5 million crowdfunding + $20 million from investors, then we'd be stuck with less detailed ships and no germany studio to make large changes to the engine. The 2.0 map would've just been a handful of "points of interest" that you load into like an AC map, covering the loading with fake warp screens. 64-bit would've never happened.

"I'm certain that this is not the first time that you've seen an awesome looking project, collapse and/or fail"
Yet there's still no direct evidence the project is doomed. You can say that when it actually happens.

"ps: You should be able to still the jittering, flickering etc that I've been going on about. And this is with the latest patch btw."
The latest patch fixed some crashes and had nothing to do with lighting issues. The flickering does not exist if you load the map in single player, so it's likely just a bug. I'd suggest holding off your judgement - and blog - until 2.0 is released on the live server.

You complain when CIG releases nothing
You complain when CIG says they're gonna release something with x feature list, and tell everyone that x feature won't be in it because "the tech doesn't exist".
You complain when CIG releases what they said they were gonna release and tell everyone that they didn't release enough or make bold claims that they lied about 64-bit because the lighting flickers a bit.

It's just sad at this point.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gryphon0468 posted:

lol nobody is going to eat their words
best case scenario for you they release a functioning game and goons play it, troll people and have fun

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CoreFire posted:

It only makes sense to expand the game to take full advantage of that additional income.

or they could stop taking money from the mentally retarded until they finish the game.

crazy I know

CoreFire posted:

It's just sad at this point.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Decrepus posted:

If your ship blows up you can eject and float in space in real time until a medical professional recovers you.

This has so many griefing implications; CIG is either oblivious or has no idea how to work around it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spending 10 bucks to join an irrelevant internet comedy forums to defend the honor of a game thats made close to 100m, has been in development for 4 years, and probably needs like 4 more to finish all the features they've promised, is sadder than anything that Dr. Smart has said or done hth

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i just want someone to aim at the nearest space station and fly towards it in non warp. see if they have made any progress towards it after 10 mins assuming they havent crashed yet lol

I tried doing this just now. I flew towards an uplink thing for about 15 minutes, until the game crashed. None of the icons other than the one I was flying towards moved at all, which one would expect.

Now, either 1.2 km/s is way too slow and the distances are gigantic, as otherwise the outer links would slowly move towards the edge of my screen, or they're really just indications on a skybox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Shitizens losing their faith ITT https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3tql7p/imo_this_is_the_only_major_mistake_cig_has_made/

I love hoe the OP feels the need to couch criticism of something obviously loving terrible in the most mild terms possible. Of course half the thread loves motion sickness and it's alpha anyway

• Locked thread