Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I think Star Citizen in-particular exploits those who have trouble discerning fantasy from reality
I think it's more people who want to replace reality with fantasy.

There's no crippling debt in space... unless that Roddenberry hack lied to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbpZuQX1V8g

:iiam:

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTz-zfSF6Dk

quote:

Was flying around the astroid belt fighting peoples or AI (not sure), when I saw (at 1:38) a strange light, changing from blue to red to green...
Tried to reach it using cruise but without success...
It was in fact lights of some fighting occuring million kms away (one of the com array), confirmed when I activated the quantum drive mode (not seen in the video)
If the game take into consideration fights occuring million kilometers away for rendering, it could be a cause of perf issues

Daztek fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 22, 2015

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Maldoror posted:

Are like any of the people who spent thousands and thousands of dollars on space ships super pissed off if they didn't get an invite to play the 2.0 PTU?

How about that guy who spent what was it $55,000.00... did he get an invite? How about Wulge?

I got an invite and I am pissed that they should rename the game to Crash Citizen because all I get are crashes.

those who did not receive the invite should be thankful.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

CoreFire posted:

an incredible waste of resources.

I don't know anything about you other than you're so mad about video games you're paying real money to ~true believer~ as hard as you can to convert rational people to your cult, but I think you've stumbled on a great tagline for the next iteration of this thread so thank you.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CoreFire posted:

"they can't exceed the max map size of the engine without super-extensive modifications." "It would be absolutely insane and time consuming to do that."
The original CryEngineers including the original designer of CryEngine himself spent over 8 months on it. I think that counts as extensive modification. Are you more qualified to be talking about CryEngine modifications compared to the people that have been working on it for 7 years? Or are they all frauds too?

"what Chris has been hinting at and which most people (if you're not a tech) keep missing. They've zoned it. "
Chris has never hinted at it and they've never mentioned anything similar to it within the monthly reports.

"You still need 64-Bit positioning because you still need to calculate that accurately in a game whereby you want to keep everything in sync and accurate."
Despite that sentence barely making any sense, you're saying we need 64-bit positioning on self-contained "zones" that change the origin point on entry and don't exceed CE's size limit & 32-bit precision. Do you even bother reading what you type?

"So, you are going to need 64-Bit positioning precision to avoid problems with objects outside of the 8km range"
Which is what they figured out a year ago and decided to solve....

"visual anomalies which we have been seeing in the PTU 2.0 builds."
Visual anomalies that don't happen consistently, sometimes appear in the small arena commander maps, and don't happen if you launch crusader in single player. I'm pretty sure that's a "bug", derek.

"Especially since it appears (I monitored it in a test I ran yesterday) that they are in fact streaming in the zones."
Geewizz, it's almost as if this is a multiplayer game. What are the chances they're transferring data over a network when you move around?

"In order to even do what I think they've done, they would've had to do something called "world origin rebasing""
That would be a nice explanation if they hadn't already talked about what they did. They moved to a camera-relative system where the camera is always considered the origin point and the world moves around the player. Has been directly mentioned by Chris in interviews along with mentioned a couple times by the germany team in the monthly reports.

"A few people have actually hit a literal brick wall going in one direction that took them to the world extents of the zone."
Any evidence? Haven't seen this at all.

"Hope this helps those who are genuinely interested in the complexities of building massive worlds like this and the challenges presented."
These are your outlandish assumptions that go against the evidence available and imply the F42 Germany team are purposely risking their careers by lying to backers about their work on 64-bit maps and precision. Since making assumptions is what you specialize in, it's no surprise.

Places like Velga (a moon with a large asteroid belt) would simply not work with a traditional zoning system. The area is clearly much, much bigger than a single AC map. Making that area seamless across multiple zones/maps would take a long time to get right. Being able to drop out of Qdrive anywhere on the map relative to the distance you traveled also harms your argument. They're not storing individual zone data for a billion/trillion KM area just in case someone manually jumps to nowhere, that would be an incredible waste of resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMD1mH3vUI

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Cuntpunch posted:

Question: Can't you steal ships? So what happens when the person whose ship you have stolen logs out crashes to desktop?

Yes you can steal ships and that ship will be marked as stolen. The ship is yours and will not matter if the owner logs out or have an epilepsy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

learn how to use quotes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Serious question what compelled you to pay ten dollars to argue with Derek about this game? I know its probably just a drop in the ocean to what you've spent on the game but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Do you honestly think you'll change his mind on this matter when you write these loving huge unreadable effort posts. Where did you even read about this thread? Reddit? Some other irrelevant white noise forum?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Why do they have a different computer voice for the hyperdrive? Listen to that video. It's a lady who talks about "bogeys" and landing gear and poo poo. But it's some excited dude voice when that guy comes out of warp.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

D_Smart posted:

Wall of dumb

So, it boils down to you not believing CIG have got 64bit precision or have made the extensive changes they say they have? What the hell do you think they've been doing the past 3 years? The 64 bit is done. Local physics zones within ships is done. The playable area in 2.0 is 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 x 200,000km. It's all real, sorry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB1_IXHIIQ8

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

CoreFire posted:

words words words

I'm so glad you're here. I've been waiting for this thread to really come to life.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

Maldoror posted:

Are like any of the people who spent thousands and thousands of dollars on space ships super pissed off if they didn't get an invite to play the 2.0 PTU?

How about that guy who spent what was it $55,000.00... did he get an invite? How about Wulge?

It's merit based, according to those most active on AC and in submitting bug reports via the Issue Council. Money doesn't buy you a place.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gryphon0468 posted:

The playable area in 2.0 is 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 x 200,000km.

Lol, so these nerds can't even figure out how to do multi-AU space with localized grids like CCP did back in two thousand loving three.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Except, you know, Chris Roberts makes CCP look competent, lol.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gryphon0468 posted:

It's merit based, according to those most active on AC and in submitting bug reports via the Issue Council. Money doesn't buy you a place.

Lol.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Clearly the following are true:

1. You're not interested in any meaningful discussion

2. You're not interested in accepting the fact that nothing you say will ever make sense nor be based on reality

3. You're not interested in anything that anyone has to say and which casts any sort of aspersions on your belief that everything with Star Citizen is good, and that we're all wrong

4. You seriously believe that trying to argue with a software developer (one with two Ph.D.s, 30 yrs experience, 16 games of massive scope under his belt) is the best course of action while not offering anything remotely resembling a sensible rebuttal

You're just wasting my time. At least those who are willing to accept that A != B, even if they are fans, are able to engage in meaningful discourse. I don't like wasting my time. So I will leave you alone to play with the others.

ps: The Star Citizen starmap is clear evidence that they've zoned the game world.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In the star citizen thread, you do not touch the poop. The poop pays lowtax :10bux: and touches you.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

OWLS! posted:

Lol, so these nerds can't even figure out how to do multi-AU space with localized grids like CCP did back in two thousand loving three.

That's just the area around Crusader, the Gas Giant. Only a tiny part of the whole system of Stanton which has 3 other major planets, and you will be able to travel to them all and other systems when they're ready to progress to that.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

D_Smart posted:

So I will leave you alone to play with the others.

I think this is the wrong approach. Keep lighting his fire. Let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gryphon0468 posted:

What the hell do you think they've been doing the past 3 years?

Parping and selling jpegs

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Honestly Derek you should ask Lowtax about getting commission or something at this point.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gryphon0468 posted:

you will be able to travel to them all and other systems when they're ready to progress to that.

Nope, this game is so objectively poo poo and the only way I'm playing it is if CIG literally pays me more than my hourly rate for IRL work. So I am not going to be able to travel anywhere. CHECKMATE.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me
I believe in all the terrible game developers: Derek smart, chris robber... I trust them and am in awe of their works. They will save pc gaming.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also, if I wanted to have a second job IN SPACE I would resub to EvE Online, which is actually, a game.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

randomcommoner posted:

I believe in all the terrible game developers: Derek smart, chris robber... I trust them and am in awe of their works. They will save pc gaming.

Amen,, Semper Game's, brother

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbpZuQX1V8g

:iiam:

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTz-zfSF6Dk

quote:

Was flying around the astroid belt fighting peoples or AI (not sure), when I saw (at 1:38) a strange light, changing from blue to red to green...
Tried to reach it using cruise but without success...
It was in fact lights of some fighting occuring million kms away (one of the com array), confirmed when I activated the quantum drive mode (not seen in the video)
If the game take into consideration fights occuring million kilometers away for rendering, it could be a cause of perf issues

That's not possible. He's seeing things. The rendering engine would have culled that away and the view frustrum would never - ever - display anything at that distance. It's just not possible. Period. End of story.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Can I be the guy who drives the space bulldozer that pushes crashed space airplanes off of the space aircraft carrier in Star Citizen?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gryphon0468 posted:

That's just the area around Crusader, the Gas Giant. Only a tiny part of the whole system of Stanton which has 3 other major planets, and you will be able to travel to them all and other systems when they're ready to progress to that.

You just made all that up / wishful thinking.

So yeah when I decorate my third bathroom it's going to be all marble and the toilet will sing Ave Maria everytime you take a poo poo.
Also Dreamcasts as far as the eye can see and the floor will be supermodels and my hair will be supercars.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Can I be the guy who drives the space bulldozer that pushes crashed space airplanes off of the space aircraft carrier in Star Citizen?

Yes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gryphon0468 posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
Wall of dumb
So, it boils down to you not believing CIG have got 64bit precision or have made the extensive changes they say they have? What the hell do you think they've been doing the past 3 years? The 64 bit is done. Local physics zones within ships is done. The playable area in 2.0 is 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 x 200,000km. It's all real, sorry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB1_IXHIIQ8

Congratulations. You're now ignored. Nobody who wants to engage in any meaningful discourse, attacks the person they want to talk to. Now gently caress off.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

peter gabriel posted:

So yeah when I decorate my third bathroom it's going to be all marble and the toilet will sing Ave Maria everytime you take a poo poo.
Also Dreamcasts as far as the eye can see and the floor will be supermodels and my hair will be supercars.

Can I come and poo poo at your house please

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fish Fry Andy posted:

As soon as we implemnt the psysisichchccszzz zzz zzz

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fil5000 posted:

Can I come and poo poo at your house please

Yes I will pick you up in my next car which will be a diamond hovercraft

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Just to make it clear, everyone here is welcome to take a poo poo at my house

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Believe what you want, i'll be enjoying SC :D

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
~fartz~ hnnnng

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

peter gabriel posted:

Yes I will pick you up in my next car which will be a diamond hovercraft

I will pledge 100 dollars towards your promised bathroom when do you think it will be ready (I just ate spicy food and am anticipating a need to poop)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Learn to quote property, I'm sure everything you wrote was hilarious but it's way too much effort to try and understand that unfortunate arrangement words.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gryphon0468 posted:

Believe what you want, i'll be enjoying SC :D

Then go enjoy it. Isn't it so much fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gryphon0468 posted: