Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

So yeah when I decorate my third bathroom it's going to be all marble and the toilet will sing Ave Maria everytime you take a poo poo.
Also Dreamcasts as far as the eye can see and the floor will be supermodels and my hair will be supercars.
Sounds awesome. You should kickstart it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fil5000 posted:

I will pledge 100 dollars towards your promised bathroom when do you think it will be ready (I just ate spicy food and am anticipating a need to poop)

Two weeks, no problem

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

D_Smart posted:

So, it boils down to you not believing CIG have got 64bit precision or have made the extensive changes they say they have? What the hell do you think they've been doing the past 3 years? The 64 bit is done. Local physics zones within ships is done. The playable area in 2.0 is 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 x 200,000km. It's all real, sorry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB1_IXHIIQ8

Congratulations. You're now ignored. Nobody who wants to engage in any meaningful discourse, attacks the person they want to talk to. Now gently caress off.
[/quote]

lol, can't handle his gospel being questioned so puts up more walls around his imaginary alternate dimension. Good job buddy.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gryphon0468 posted:

lol, can't handle his gospel being questioned so puts up more walls around his imaginary alternate dimension. Good job buddy.

So close...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gryphon0468 posted:

It's OK he is using 32bit ignoring so there's a good chance your shitposts will clip through his screen and he'll still see them.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Corefiend I am posting to let you know that your post was too long and I did not read it. But on behalf of Lowtax I thank you for the ten dollars.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

peter gabriel posted:

Two weeks, no problem

OK cool will hold it in until then.

Do you have any previous history building and plumbing bathrooms that I could check out

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Gryphon0468 posted:

was he wrong though? did you plan to not be antagonistic ever?

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Can we get a kickstarter going for peters executive shitter? We could mock them even harder when it actually gets completed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fil5000 posted:

OK cool will hold it in until then.

Do you have any previous history building and plumbing bathrooms that I could check out

Well I once built a lego house but it didn't go so well so yup I have all the experience I need

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jimb posted:

Can we get a kickstarter going for peters executive shitter? We could mock them even harder when it actually gets completed.

Stretch goal is a hand dryer that runs on angel farts

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

quote:

D_Smart posted:

So, it boils down to you not believing CIG have got 64bit precision or have made the extensive changes they say they have? What the hell do you think they've been doing the past 3 years? The 64 bit is done. Local physics zones within ships is done. The playable area in 2.0 is 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 x 200,000km. It's all real, sorry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB1_IXHIIQ8

Congratulations. You're now ignored. Nobody who wants to engage in any meaningful discourse, attacks the person they want to talk to. Now gently caress off.

:ironicat:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A reminder that Starlancer was out on the dreamcast and it was poo poo.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Of course he was wrong. Just saying that CIG haven't done 64bit and haven't done serious modifications to CryEngine shows how wrong he is, and the proof is in 2.0 for everybody to see. And about him blocking me I don't even understand how he could interpret what I said as an attack haha, it was mild as gently caress and just rebuffing his blustering.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Stanko-Prussian posted:

He's still struggling with the notion that everyone making GBS threads on cig will still be able to play the game if it turns out it's good without having to submit a written apology to Chris Roberts

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gryphon0468 posted:

Of course he was wrong. Just saying that CIG haven't done 64bit and haven't done serious modifications to CryEngine shows how wrong he is, and the proof is in 2.0 for everybody to see. And about him blocking me I don't even understand how he could interpret what I said as an attack haha, it was mild as gently caress and just rebuffing his blustering.

I will never block u

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Oh God the Dreamcast memories.

One small, but alarming detail of the SC con is that Chris was able to convince people that PC gaming was somehow in trouble and needed to be saved.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gryphon0468 posted:

All I'm seeing is janky as gently caress jerking, shaders spazzing out, physics bugs, the noclip_quake flight model, and crashes.

So until somebody (prolly Derek, he's enough of a nerd) gets fancy actually decompiling poo poo, you at least as full of poo poo as he is.

But since you unironically are a Citizen, I believe him more.

Also JFC, the whole "BECOME A CITIZEN" thing is unironically creepy and to a weird extent Jingoistic as gently caress.

Yes, I'm implying nazis.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I love D_Smart. He made this thread really good.

I really hope he can get the help he needs, though.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I will never block u

May LAMP bless you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mods please rename thread to Peter gabriel needs toilet money

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gryphon0468 posted:

May LAMP bless you.

Don't you loving drag Linux Apache Mysql PHP into this, THEY DID NOTHING WRONG.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gryphon0468 posted:

May LAMP bless you.

eh

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

D_Smart posted:

That's not possible. He's seeing things. The rendering engine would have culled that away and the view frustrum would never - ever - display anything at that distance. It's just not possible. Period. End of story.
It could be abstracted. Server says there's a fight going on at X location, so the client flashes some lights from that direction.

I mean, it could, but I don't think that's what's happening for a second and I can't believe I used the word abstracted in a thread about Star "lets pointlessly brute force everything! :downs:" Citizen, but there you go.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Danknificent posted:

Oh God the Dreamcast memories.

One small, but alarming detail of the SC con is that Chris was able to convince people that PC gaming was somehow in trouble and needed to be saved.

Gaming is under siege by radical feminists, who want to destroy everything that we hold dear: 3D anime babes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fil5000 posted:

Mods please rename thread to Peter gabriel needs toilet money

[SUGGESTION] Peter gabriel needs toilet money

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Gaming is under siege by radical feminists, who want to destroy everything that we hold dear: 3D anime babes.

Read that as "3D anime babies", wondered what the gently caress was wrong with the world, realized that this was probably a thing, ate a bullet, am posting from beyond the grave.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wait I've not thought this through thst might mean he needs money FROM a toilet

I have to go back and rework this thread title from scratch. Two weeks.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

OWLS! posted:

All I'm seeing is janky as gently caress jerking, shaders spazzing out, physics bugs, the noclip_quake flight model, and crashes.

So until somebody (prolly Derek, he's enough of a nerd) gets fancy actually decompiling poo poo, you at least as full of poo poo as he is.

But since you unironically are a Citizen, I believe him more.

Also JFC, the whole "BECOME A CITIZEN" thing is unironically creepy and to a weird extent Jingoistic as gently caress.

Yes, I'm implying nazis.

Do you understand what Alpha means? This is an actual alpha, warts and all. But of course you're not required to believe me over DS, but hey the proof will come when things get smoothed out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

El Grillo posted:

This. I thought they just released a massive reworking of the flight model. It still looks terrible?

The flight model has several distinct parts and plays no part in "visual" fidelity.

The problem they have is that, as with everything else, they're still at the mercy of the CE3 physics handling system.

The only way to make capital ships handle more sluggish than fighters, is to give them unique properties which affect not only the P(itch), R(oll), Y(aw) values, but also take into account mass, acceleration etc.

So regardless of how they do the flight dynamics, it has no relationship to how the craft handles if the craft itself does not have the correct physical attributes which determine how it moves through
the game world. The end result is that a carrier would appear to handle no different from a fighter, regardless of how the flight dynamics are done.

In my games, I have that data in a text file. It gets parsed and embedded into the game engine's file definition for the craft. And processed in real-time. It all gets fed to the physics engine. So a carrier handles more sluggishly than a fighter does.

Here is what the one in Universal Combat 2.0 looks like

Battlecruiser MK1 carrier

code:
BCRUZMK1.3D,BATTLECRUISER MK1,SARc,
 ?24,*1000,!25000,%150,A0.1768,L150,C275,H400,&1800000,j90000,J80000,P10,R12,Y14,[1500,]2500,^45000,<100,>25000,{1000,}150000,(_PRYATVNEW)
Interceptor MK1 fighter

code:
ICMK1.3D,INTERCEPTOR MK1,SARc,
 ?22,*1000,!10000,%125,A0.1068,L125,C305,H650,&600000,j20000,J15000,P22,R30,Y28,[200,]200,^35000,<100,>15000,{50000,}75000,(PRYATVNEW)
In all of those attributes, the most important are the PRY values which determine the degree of each across a period of time.

LEGEND

code:
# [RADAR FLAGS]
#
# S  appears only in TASCAN space radar / missile can lock in SPC mode
# A  appears only in TASCAN air radar / missile can lock in AIR mode
# G  appears only in TASCAN ground radar / missile can lock in GND mode
# R  is a radar source or is missile with video feed capability
# T  threat (missile, mine etc)
# N  appears only in NID radar
# c  craft object type
# p  personnel object type
# r  strategic object type
# t  tactical object type
# i  interstellar object type
# m  misc object type
# L  cannot be destroyed by laser fire 
# l  cannot be destroyed in multiplayer game
# I  cannot be destroyed at all
# F  cannot be destroyed by first person weapons
#
# [DYNAMIC FLAGS]
#
# P  can pitch                  
# R  can roll                   
# Y  can yaw                    
# A  can fly                    
# T  can translate in XYZ       // disabling this prevents object from moving
# E  has propulsion system      
# G  affected by gravity        
# U  can maneuver while on seabed (otherwise will not be able to move)
# F  can float at water level without sinking
# V  velocity diffs from orientation
# O  orientation independent of velocity
# M  missile               
# N  radar source
# X  explosion effect           
# B  laser blast                
# Q  uses quick render laser shot because model has no geometry
# L  uses elongated type laser shot
# Z  uses beam type laser shot
# _  support structure (another object can land on it)
# I  object is invisible while being rebuilt (must also have 'T' AI flag)
# H  object does NOT generate a shield animation when it collides with another object
# W  object can be towed
#
# [AI FLAGS]
#
# m = meter, ms = milisecond, min = minute, ft = feet, d/s = degrees per sec, m/s = meters per sec
#
# $  resource points              // resource points (NYI)
# @  defense points               // defense points (NYI)
# s  kill point                   // EPs awarded for destroying this target
# &  ship turnaround time   (ms)  // time for unit to re-launch after docking
# !  gun range              (m)   // range before unit fires the gun / range of projectile (fp weapons only)
# %  gun recharge time      (ms)  // gun recharge time
# ~  lifetime               (ms)  // missile self destruct time / laser shot (gun range/laser Hspeed) expiration time
# {  min acquisition range  (m)   // min missile lock range / min radar range for unit / max radar range for ground unit
# }  max acquisition range  (m)   // max missile lock range / max radar range for unit
# <  min altitude           (ft)  // min craft operational altitude / min missile launch altitude / min visibility altitude for ground unit
# >  max altitude           (ft)  // max craft operational altitude / max missile launch altitude / max visibility altitude for ground unit
# ^  missile reload time    (ms)  // time before unit reloads it's missile tubes
# Q  missile lock time      (ms)  // time before missile acquires a valid lock
# *  waypoint range         (m)   // range from waypoint before unit determines it has reached it
# ]  armor                        // unit's armor protection value
# [  shield                       // unit's shield protection value
# E  blast energy                 // missile/laser damage value
# P  pitch rate             (d/s) // rate of pitch 
# R  roll rate              (d/s) // rate of roll 
# Y  yaw rate               (d/s) // rate of yaw 
# p  pitch spin rate        (d/s) // rate of spin along pitch axis 
# r  roll spin rate         (d/s) // rate of spin along roll axis
# y  yaw spin rate          (d/s) // rate of spin along yaw axis
# L  low speed limit        (m/s) // low speed threshold 
# C  cruise speed           (m/s) // cruise speed threshold
# H  high speed limit       (m/s) // high speed threshold
# A  best acceleration            // best acceleration
# D  best deceleration            // best deceleration. Presently == acceleration
# T  rebuild time           (min) // unit rebuild time
# J  jump transit time      (ms)  // hyperjump transit duration
# j  jump recharge time     (ms)  // hyperjump engine recharge time
# B  bounce elasticity            // 0 (no bounce, default) - 1.0 (rubber ball)  
# g  guidance type :              // type of guidance system for fire control systems
#
#       0 = none (default)                          
#       1 = CTL                          
#       2 = ATL                          
#       3 = ATL/V                          
#       4 = RITL/V                          
#       5 = VITL                          
#       6 = ASL                          
#       7 = VSL                          
#       8 = LTA (lasers only)                          
#       9 = ODSM                          
#      10 = RANDOM                          
#      11 = RKT (rockets)
#

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

OWLS! posted:

EvE Online, which is actually, a game.

That's arguable.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tooterfish posted:

It could be abstracted. Server says there's a fight going on at X location, so the client flashes some lights from that direction.

I mean, it could, but I don't think that's what's happening for a second and I can't believe I used the word abstracted in a thread about Star "lets pointlessly brute force everything! :downs:" Citizen, but there you go.

You know when it's raining and on your car windscreen it makes the streetlights look all twinkly? That's what's happening here, he has tears of pure joy in his eyes creating an optical illusion

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gryphon0468 posted:

Do you understand what Alpha means? This is an actual alpha, warts and all. But of course you're not required to believe me over DS, but hey the proof will come when things get smoothed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdd4rBlsj2o

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fil5000 posted:

Wait I've not thought this through thst might mean he needs money FROM a toilet

I have to go back and rework this thread title from scratch. Two weeks.

I dunno, money's money

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Berious posted:

That's arguable.

I liked the ship spin counter minigame.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

The flight model has several distinct parts and plays no part in "visual" fidelity.

The problem they have is that, as with everything else, they're still at the mercy of the CE3 physics handling system.

The only way to make capital ships handle more sluggish than fighters, is to give them unique properties which affect not only the P(itch), R(oll), Y(aw) values, but also take into account mass, acceleration etc.

So regardless of how they do the flight dynamics, it has no relationship to how the craft handles if the craft itself does not have the correct physical attributes which determine how it moves through
the game world. The end result is that a carrier would appear to handle no different from a fighter, regardless of how the flight dynamics are done.

In my games, I have that data in a text file. It gets parsed and embedded into the game engine's file definition for the craft. And processed in real-time. It all gets fed to the physics engine. So a carrier handles more sluggishly than a fighter does.

Here is what the one in Universal Combat 2.0 looks like

Battlecruiser MK1 carrier

code:
BCRUZMK1.3D,BATTLECRUISER MK1,SARc,
 ?24,*1000,!25000,%150,A0.1768,L150,C275,H400,&1800000,j90000,J80000,P10,R12,Y14,[1500,]2500,^45000,<100,>25000,{1000,}150000,(_PRYATVNEW)
Interceptor MK1 fighter

code:
ICMK1.3D,INTERCEPTOR MK1,SARc,
 ?22,*1000,!10000,%125,A0.1068,L125,C305,H650,&600000,j20000,J15000,P22,R30,Y28,[200,]200,^35000,<100,>15000,{50000,}75000,(PRYATVNEW)
In all of those attributes, the most important are the PRY values which determine the degree of each across a period of time.

LEGEND

code:
# [RADAR FLAGS]
#
# S  appears only in TASCAN space radar / missile can lock in SPC mode
# A  appears only in TASCAN air radar / missile can lock in AIR mode
# G  appears only in TASCAN ground radar / missile can lock in GND mode
# R  is a radar source or is missile with video feed capability
# T  threat (missile, mine etc)
# N  appears only in NID radar
# c  craft object type
# p  personnel object type
# r  strategic object type
# t  tactical object type
# i  interstellar object type
# m  misc object type
# L  cannot be destroyed by laser fire 
# l  cannot be destroyed in multiplayer game
# I  cannot be destroyed at all
# F  cannot be destroyed by first person weapons
#
# [DYNAMIC FLAGS]
#
# P  can pitch                  
# R  can roll                   
# Y  can yaw                    
# A  can fly                    
# T  can translate in XYZ       // disabling this prevents object from moving
# E  has propulsion system      
# G  affected by gravity        
# U  can maneuver while on seabed (otherwise will not be able to move)
# F  can float at water level without sinking
# V  velocity diffs from orientation
# O  orientation independent of velocity
# M  missile               
# N  radar source
# X  explosion effect           
# B  laser blast                
# Q  uses quick render laser shot because model has no geometry
# L  uses elongated type laser shot
# Z  uses beam type laser shot
# _  support structure (another object can land on it)
# I  object is invisible while being rebuilt (must also have 'T' AI flag)
# H  object does NOT generate a shield animation when it collides with another object
# W  object can be towed
#
# [AI FLAGS]
#
# m = meter, ms = milisecond, min = minute, ft = feet, d/s = degrees per sec, m/s = meters per sec
#
# $  resource points              // resource points (NYI)
# @  defense points               // defense points (NYI)
# s  kill point                   // EPs awarded for destroying this target
# &  ship turnaround time   (ms)  // time for unit to re-launch after docking
# !  gun range              (m)   // range before unit fires the gun / range of projectile (fp weapons only)
# %  gun recharge time      (ms)  // gun recharge time
# ~  lifetime               (ms)  // missile self destruct time / laser shot (gun range/laser Hspeed) expiration time
# {  min acquisition range  (m)   // min missile lock range / min radar range for unit / max radar range for ground unit
# }  max acquisition range  (m)   // max missile lock range / max radar range for unit
# <  min altitude           (ft)  // min craft operational altitude / min missile launch altitude / min visibility altitude for ground unit
# >  max altitude           (ft)  // max craft operational altitude / max missile launch altitude / max visibility altitude for ground unit
# ^  missile reload time    (ms)  // time before unit reloads it's missile tubes
# Q  missile lock time      (ms)  // time before missile acquires a valid lock
# *  waypoint range         (m)   // range from waypoint before unit determines it has reached it
# ]  armor                        // unit's armor protection value
# [  shield                       // unit's shield protection value
# E  blast energy                 // missile/laser damage value
# P  pitch rate             (d/s) // rate of pitch 
# R  roll rate              (d/s) // rate of roll 
# Y  yaw rate               (d/s) // rate of yaw 
# p  pitch spin rate        (d/s) // rate of spin along pitch axis 
# r  roll spin rate         (d/s) // rate of spin along roll axis
# y  yaw spin rate          (d/s) // rate of spin along yaw axis
# L  low speed limit        (m/s) // low speed threshold 
# C  cruise speed           (m/s) // cruise speed threshold
# H  high speed limit       (m/s) // high speed threshold
# A  best acceleration            // best acceleration
# D  best deceleration            // best deceleration. Presently == acceleration
# T  rebuild time           (min) // unit rebuild time
# J  jump transit time      (ms)  // hyperjump transit duration
# j  jump recharge time     (ms)  // hyperjump engine recharge time
# B  bounce elasticity            // 0 (no bounce, default) - 1.0 (rubber ball)  
# g  guidance type :              // type of guidance system for fire control systems
#
#       0 = none (default)                          
#       1 = CTL                          
#       2 = ATL                          
#       3 = ATL/V                          
#       4 = RITL/V                          
#       5 = VITL                          
#       6 = ASL                          
#       7 = VSL                          
#       8 = LTA (lasers only)                          
#       9 = ODSM                          
#      10 = RANDOM                          
#      11 = RKT (rockets)
#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMD1mH3vUI

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Berious posted:

That's arguable.

Being arguably a game is still more game than SC

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

peter gabriel posted:

[SUGGESTION] Peter gabriel needs toilet money

poo poo IN MY AMAZING BOG
£23,332 raised
£96,000,000 goal

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Danknificent posted:

Mr. Smart, that science post with the boxes impressed the hell out of me. I actually understand what you're talking about now; previously I'd been taking it on faith.

But it wouldn't it be faster to just say the game can never be balanced? It's an equally crucial flaw, and much easier to communicate.

Thanks.

As to balancing issues, my guess is that they haven't even got to that part yet. And yeah, it's going to be freaking nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CoreFire posted:

"And thus far, I have yet to meet anyone who has seen anything in Star Citizen that makes it unique or which shows any indication that Chris can deliver all he promised to backers."
Then you're really not looking in the right places. For a chunk of backers, 2.0 is the indication that Chris can deliver the game. It's the combination of most the engine's required technical work completed and put into a playable space. The real gritty stuff is out of the way and they can focus on asset/feature production.

This is the dumbest thing uttered by a human. 2.0 represents the easy part. Making a game out of a technical demo is the entire game making part.

• Locked thread