Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

[SUGGESTION] Peter gabriel needs toilet money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Stanko-Prussian posted:

poo poo IN MY AMAZING BOG
£23,332 raised
£96,000,000 goal

I will sell PNGs of turds

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Gryphon0468 posted:

May LAMP bless you.

So what's the deal with the ikea lamp?

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

peter gabriel posted:

you'll be hearing from ortwin freyermuth

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Stanko-Prussian posted:

you'll be hearing from ortwin freyermuth

I dunno, I think he has enough :thurman:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

ps: The Star Citizen starmap is clear evidence that they've zoned the game world.

Yes, but not in the way you've posited.

Each system on the star map is going to be a contiguous 64-bit zone; the zones boundaries are the individual system boundaries, not the ~8km zone sizes you've erroneously described. It's going to be ~100 Crusader-ish sized zones, linked by the jump points masking loading screens, which are entirely different than the quantum jumps in 2.0 right now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

Each system on the star map is going to be a contiguous 64-bit zone; the zones boundaries are the individual system boundaries, not the ~8km zone sizes you've erroneously described. It's going to be ~100 Crusader-ish sized zones, linked by the jump points masking loading screens, which are entirely different than the quantum jumps in 2.0 right now.

Bathroom wishlist chat

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
notacult

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kikkelivelho posted:

So far this is the best video I've found of the 2.0 PTU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB1_IXHIIQ8

If the areas are segmented they're still considerably larger than the arena commander ones. I also saw a video where a glitch teleported the player 100 000 kilometers away from his ship so it's possible to be that far away from any point of reference without the game making GBS threads itself.

Performance and stability seem to be massive issues thought. Framerates can fall easily below 20 and most of the videos I watched ended because the game or the server crashed.

As I explained in this post, they appear to have created larger areas and stitched them together. Considering that they were stuck with a 64 sq. km area before, seeing 100km distances now, is not surprising

And yeah, performance and stability issues abound. They're going to be dealing with this forever and a day. And they're not even 10% into delivering the entire game yet, let alone with all the content promised.

If you consider how long it took Arena Commander to get to 1.x - and it wasn't fixed completely right up to this pre-Alpha 2.0, then you can imagine that after trashing that 1.0x kernel, they've pretty much re-opened another chapter in the development book, which means a whole new slew of 2.0x engine problems they now have to overcome. Which is why I have been saying that they will never - ever - complete this game as promised and that time (2-3 years) and money (another $75m+) is what it's going to take. If they survive 2016.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
Is Octopode the smuggest poster on the internet?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Is there a funding timeline somewhere? It looks like funding has actually gone down since the release, but it's hard to tell from the tiny windows their graphs give you.

Buggy release dampens citizen opinion, raises goon opinion?

https://goo.gl/fz1Tso

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Why does anyone actually give a gently caress about their retard rear end space game having millions of completely empty miles of space? Wow, I'm excited to see a game really push the limits of how much nothing it can render at once!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

peter gabriel posted:

Bathroom wishlist chat

Double barrelled toilet. I don't know what this means but I would like one

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Why does anyone actually give a gently caress about their retard rear end space game having millions of completely empty miles of space? Wow, I'm excited to see a game really push the limits of how much nothing it can render at once!

But the PS2 won the console war of its generation by rendering nothing faster than any other console on the market back then.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fil5000 posted:

Double barrelled toilet. I don't know what this means but I would like one

One for outgoing waste one for incoming food, good idea

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CoreFire posted:

that would be an incredible waste of resources.

lol

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

tooterfish posted:

It could be abstracted. Server says there's a fight going on at X location, so the client flashes some lights from that direction.

I mean, it could, but I don't think that's what's happening for a second and I can't believe I used the word abstracted in a thread about Star "lets pointlessly brute force everything! :downs:" Citizen, but there you go.

uhm no, that's not the sort of thing you would abstract. Plus, there is absolutely no reason for someone at that distance to visualize anything at that distance. Yeah, it's possibly to see bright objects at great distances, but to say that they are flashes of battles going on is nonsense. I have played 2.0 and there is no loving way that view frustrum has that range.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Hyperbidet - a device that washes your butt at relativistic speeds

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also 2.0 is not an beta, not an alpha, not a pre-alpha, it's a tech demo. That should have been out three years ago.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

peter gabriel posted:

here's a quick concept .gif

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sedisp posted:

quote:

CoreFire posted:
"And thus far, I have yet to meet anyone who has seen anything in Star Citizen that makes it unique or which shows any indication that Chris can deliver all he promised to backers."
Then you're really not looking in the right places. For a chunk of backers, 2.0 is the indication that Chris can deliver the game. It's the combination of most the engine's required technical work completed and put into a playable space. The real gritty stuff is out of the way and they can focus on asset/feature production.

This is the dumbest thing uttered by a human. 2.0 represents the easy part. Making a game out of a technical demo is the entire game making part.

Yes. It was dumb. This is shocking, why?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Sorry if this reply to AP's recent excavations is a distraction from the 32 bit / 64 bit / flight model nerd shootout. I find the CIG behind-the-scenes dramas more interesting, personally.

This is from a Wingman's Hangar not long after that exchange.

Eric attempts to introduce Sandi, who is going to conduct an interview with CTO Jason Spangler. The video abruptly fades Eric out while he's saying "Take it away, Sandi!"

Sandi then introduces Jason as Chief Technical Officer for CIG, then asks him to introduce himself. He obliges, "I am Jason Spangler. Chief Technical Officer." She then asks what his job involves, what games he's worked on, and if he pledged for Star Citizen. Having exhausted the depths of her Game Dev knowledge, her interview lasts one minute...

... And then is followed by an actual interview of Jason Spangler conducted by Wingman. In which they discuss CryEngine issues (the prototype was built in 3.3, then upgraded to 3.4.3, and most recently to 3.4.4., DirectX, OpenGL, Oculus Rift, attempts to prevent in-game cheating, etc.) It's classic Wingman-- corny funny, generous to the guest, and a bit technical without getting so wonky it loses the average gamer.

Anyway, I'd known there was tension between Sandi and Wingman, but was agnostic about whether her assumption of host duties was an actual conflict between her and Eric, or if it just happened as a byproduct of the re-centering of CIG in LA. But now it's a lot clearer to me. There was a real tug-of-war between Eric and Sandi over who should be the community face of Star Citizen. And Sandi won.

You may now resume your arguments to settle who, if anyone, can out-nerd Derek. He just misspelled "view frustum" so TAKE YOUR SHOT NOW!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fil5000 posted:

Hyperbidet - a device that washes your butt at relativistic speeds

When you turn the light on a tiger mauls you to death but then you're OK

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Stanko-Prussian posted:

In Stock

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I think Star Citizen might be a good game if it comes out but I'm not going to throw money at it to increase the chances that it might someday come out.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I WILL BUY THEM, PETER!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I'll take five. As long as they come with sewer nuggets as pictured.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

D_Smart posted:

Plus, there is absolutely no reason for someone at that distance to visualize anything at that distance.
"Chris said this would be cool, like that scene in Return of the Jedi where you can see the battle raging as tiny flashes of light".

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

No matter how I explained it, it is still a zoned world.

And you're talking about a "future" update while I'm talking about what people are PLAYING RIGHT NOW IN 2.0 and which was touted to be the end-all solution.

Now please explain to me again which part of the missive below confused you. Specifically, where did I say they had "~8km zone sizes"?

quote:

Let me explain as best I can:

- Take a piece of paper
- Draw a box and imagine each side of that box is 8km. You now have a box that is 64 sq. km
- Divide that box into 4 equal sections with each side ends up being 4km. This is a zone within the scene. You now have 4 of them
- Put an x anywhere inside each box and call them x1, x2, x3, x4. Do this such that x1 is top-left, x3 is bottom-right

quote:

NOTE:
The max "map/scene" size in CryEngine3 is 8km x 8km or 64 sq. km

Imagine (regardless of whether or not you keep the 1:1 scaling) trying to fit the larger ships in there and having them fly around with enough space.

The Javelin is 345m long, while the Idris-P is 240m long. http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

That's the problem that Star Citizen has.

- Now draw a bigger rectangle (not a box) around the larger box such that the left side (h) is 200 km and the bottom side (w) is 5K km

You now have a rect (map/scene) that is 1m sq. km. Note that we're disregarding z-depth atm. But even if it were factored in, it would probably be no less than w (5K km)

- Put an x anywhere inside each box and call them x5, x6, x7, x8. Do this such that x5 is top-left, x7 is bottom-right

So that brings us to this...

[IMG][/IMG]

Regardless of whether or not they use 32-Bit or 64-Bit world positioning, they can't exceed the max map size of the engine without super-extensive modifications. And even if they did that, they still have one massive problem: the physics engine

I don't believe that they've done this. It would be absolutely insane and time consuming to do that. Plus, for a space combat game, it would have no benefit. Elite Dangerous did it because right off the bat, they built a game engine from the ground up to do just that.

What I believe they've done is what Chris has been hinting at and which most people (if you're not a tech) keep missing. They've zoned it. As in shards it. Because that's the easiest way to do it in any engine, especially CE3 without hassle. You still need 64-Bit positioning because you still need to calculate that accurately in a game whereby you want to keep everything in sync and accurate.

From my diagram above since the inner box is within the extents of the engine, you're not going to have position precision issues as long as you don't get too close to the 8km edge. But for a space game, 64 sq. km is woefully inadequate. Unless you're in a close combat shooter like Arena Commander or the mission based SQ42 which can design missions to keep players within these world constraints. For Star Citizen, nah, not gonna work.

They don't use jump gates or anything (more on this below) of the sort (like I did in my massive world games) to link these zones. They wanted it all to be seamless and appear as one big open space.

So, you are going to need 64-Bit positioning precision to avoid problems with objects outside of the 8km range; especially in an open world game that gives all the interactions that Chris has promised.

And if they went with doubles (yikes!) the performance and problems with physics alone, are going to be headaches from start to finish (?). If they didn't, then my post about them cheating with a hack, is probably what they've done; as they would have no choice but to calculate positions of objects in the world based on the player's current camera viewpoint location.

Even so, at a 5000K km range, they are going to have to use logarithmic Z which gives them a significantly higher level of precision in the Z buffer in order to alleviate visual anomalies which we have been seeing in the PTU 2.0 builds.

Again, I do *not* believe that they've made such extensive revisions to CE3 that they can now build *single* scenes of up to 5000K km per side, up from 8km. Not only would that be insane (when you can just zone it all), but all the existing regions would need to be redone because re-sizing it in the editor will completely screw up the pre-existing object positions and introduce a whole new set of problems. It would be a lot of work to redo the maps. Then again, considering how many things they've had to do over, they may have done just that. Plus they only had one anyway.

So, assuming they've zoned it, the end result is that object x1 moving to the position of x5 is going to seamlessly transition from it's own zone (assume it to be less than 8km on any side) into that zone causing that new zone to be loaded. It's like two mat pieces being stitched together. And since this is space - with not that many objects to handle - the loading times are negligible. Crashes can/will happen at this point btw. Especially since it appears (I monitored it in a test I ran yesterday) that they are in fact streaming in the zones.

And transitioning between these streamed zones is what they are referring to as "jump tunnels".

In order to even do what I think they've done, they would've had to do something called "world origin rebasing" (look it up). You use this to shift the player's world origin position as closer to the camera as possible when it's too far from the current world origin where precision loss tends to cause problems. A combination of this and zone streaming is what they may be doing as it allows them to build this massive world with the appearance of it being one seamless piece as shown in their starmap.

I know that UE4 has it (they don't recommend using it for multiplayer games without writing a custom server solution), but I'm not sure that CE3 does. And I'm not sure why it would. Here is a discussion from earlier this year about large seamless worlds in CE3.

Which brings me to the issue of borders. A few people have actually hit a literal brick wall going in one direction that took them to the world extents of the zone. If this were one massive universe that is 1m km sq. that should never happen. In my games, the way I handle this is I have a region called a "null zone". As soon as you breach the boundaries of the world - usually by some fluke - you enter in world the same size as the one you left, but with nothing in it other than a jump anomaly that brings you back to known space. I built it like a Russian doll puzzle. No brick walls.

Hope this helps those who are genuinely interested in the complexities of building massive worlds like this and the challenges presented.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OWLS! posted:

Also 2.0 is not an beta, not an alpha, not a pre-alpha, it's a tech demo. That should have been out three years ago.

Whats worse, is that this is the accumulation of all their work so far. Look at other games that have proper game demos, they are cut apart sections of games way farther in development.

For Chris sake, CIG themselves mentioned they haven't even bothered writing the design documentation for things like the ship modules. They are pumping more and more ship concepts with meaningless information in them because ultimately they still haven't even figured out what you can equip to them and how it relates to the actual game they're suppose to be making.

This is design debt. Just like how they ran into the 32bit problem earlier on, just like how they slammed into the ship flight physics problem a few months ago, they'll eventually run into this one when they actually sit down and start working on this.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

I WILL BUY THEM, PETER!

You are my fist concierge

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Sorry if this reply to AP's recent excavations is a distraction from the 32 bit / 64 bit / flight model nerd shootout. I find the CIG behind-the-scenes dramas more interesting, personally.

Eric attempts to introduce Sandi, who is going to conduct an interview with CTO Jason Spangler. The video abruptly fades Eric out while he's saying "Take it away, Sandi!"

Sandi then introduces Jason as Chief Technical Officer for CIG, then asks him to introduce himself. He obliges, "I am Jason Spangler. Chief Technical Officer." She then asks what his job involves, what games he's worked on, and if he pledged for Star Citizen. Having exhausted the depths of her Game Dev knowledge, her interview lasts one minute...

... And then is followed by an actual interview of Jason Spangler conducted by Wingman. In which they discuss CryEngine issues (the prototype was built in 3.3, then upgraded to 3.4.3, and most recently to 3.4.4., DirectX, OpenGL, Oculus Rift, attempts to prevent in-game cheating, etc.) It's classic Wingman-- corny funny, generous to the guest, and a bit technical without getting so wonky it loses the average gamer.

Anyway, I'd known there was tension between Sandi and Wingman, but was agnostic about whether her assumption of host duties was an actual conflict between her and Eric, or if it just happened as a byproduct of the re-centering of CIG in LA. But now it's a lot clearer to me. There was a real tug-of-war between Eric and Sandi over who should be the community face of Star Citizen. And Sandi won.

You may now resume your arguments to settle who, if anyone, can out-nerd Derek. He just misspelled "view frustum" so TAKE YOUR SHOT NOW!

Word is, she was the reason that Chris has to kick him off the project. He was getting too popular and she had to be the star of the "show". Now it's her and those two clueless buffoons, Ben and Jared.

Word is, Chris wept because he had to do that to someone who he had such a long history with.

She is evil like that. Hey Sandi, yeah, I know. So go ahead and try addressing that one in your Twitter, Facebook or Star Citizen movies, OK?

This is not news, most people close to the situation are totally aware of it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Yes. It was dumb. This is shocking, why?

Oh it's not shocking I just wanted him to know.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

she pretended to put stickers on her nipples

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Original toilets do not steal

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I think the funniest thing from Star Citizen for me was when Chris Roberts was talking about how every bullet and missile would rendered and animated in detail being loaded and fired, and someone on Wingman's team asked Chris Roberts if you could get stuck in the loading mechanism and die if you walked into it.

e: the answer was surprisingly no

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 22, 2015

Toysrme
Nov 22, 2015

fuctifino posted:

4-8fps at some points in the vid. I love this bit best:

Hey... Someone here found a video of mine... LoL!

Ya, the periodic frame drop / texture stream is on my end. I was playing 4k at "beyond very high" settings (custom cvars). 980's have 4gb of vram and I need 7-8gb to run it. So the drops are swapping from system ram.

At 1080p, lowest default graphic options (to remove the GPU bottleneck) on a pair of GTX-980's fed by an i7-5930k @ 4.5ghz; the game currently has a huge CPU bottleneck. Previously (v1.1.5-v1.2) 1080p-low kept the cards around 20-30% GPU util. Now they average 60fps around 30-50%. That winds up being around 80% GPU utilization on a stock gtx-980.
The primary dx11 core stays at 100% ulti, secondary core running physics stays around 60%. (up to 8 cores can be used, they're currently set to use 4)

Daztek posted:

Well, it is running at a 4k res, I dunno how much of an impact that is.
Exactly! It does make a massive impact. Normally I can run 1080p very high at 150fps in v2.0 (Until multiple ships start spawning, it drops by an amount for each ship on cpu overhead until it stabilizes around 30-40fps) Generally, I play any game out there maxed out @ 4k at 60fps on a pair of overclocked gtx-980's (1585mhz). I benchmark crysis 3 @ 60fps. BO3 runs (well it's all over the place) but normally 70-80fps. FC4 60fps, GTA-V's demo-4 averages 70fps. I wish I had a pair of Titan-x's, but the 980's do just fine for 4k with games right now.

Berious posted:

Dude has SLI 980s and rarely cracks 30 FPS. I bet that thing about picking the best bug reporters was a load of bull and they just selected the people with monster hardware. Going to be funny when it's in the hands of everyday plebs.
I was picked because I continually give feedback directly to the people working on the game. I also have experience in Cryengine, Unreal Engine... Working on Total Conversions... Oh, and I wrote 1.5 of the only 2 existing mods for Star Citizen. I also have a lot of "in-game" time too, so. So that comment doesn't really apply to me.

There is questioning of how they picked "the first 1,000" people to keep network loads down. I have questions about it also. I think the process for that needs looking into moving forward. Most of the people I know that were not in the first 1,000 got in with the second wave of 5,000 a day later. That opened up more to the people "actively" playing.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Word is, Chris wept because he had to do that to someone who he had such a long history with.
Well that humanizes Chris a bit to me, and dehumanizes someone else. Which I'd hardly thought possible at this point.

quote:

This is not news, most people close to the situation are totally aware of it.
Most people aren't close enough to the situation to pick up insider hearsay stories about weeping CEO's terminating long-standing relationships at the bidding of their aspiring actress wives. We have a lower-resolution version of it, pieced together from public data. Thus, it's news to us.

But I do appreciate the additional perspectives from you and quite enjoy the continuing narrative battles you and Sandi are waging. Seeing her waste fan time in the latest Reverse The Verse re-asserting that her French credentials were those of the sophisticate ("picked up from my childhood in Paris, ooh la la!") as opposed to the dilettante ("learning French from some Facebook group? Quelle horreur!") makes that execrable show almost worth watching.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 22, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

No matter how I explained it, it is still a zoned world.

And you're talking about a "future" update while I'm talking about what people are PLAYING RIGHT NOW IN 2.0 and which was touted to be the end-all solution.

Now please explain to me again which part of the missive below confused you. Specifically, where did I say they had "~8km zone sizes"?

I'm talking about the same system that is being used now being used in the future. The only thing missing right now is being able to transition between two large-world zones.

Your writeup is actually much closer to what's being done than the stuff you were posting about the last day or so, but you're still off the mark some because you've intrinsically tied the spatial positioning in the engine to the renderer's output. It's an understandable mistake, since for most every engine, these two things are intrinsically linked.

But it's not true for CIG's implementation here, as I pointed out yesterday. They have separated the rendering coordinates system from the actual map/reference coordinate system. They ARE rebasing the render origin--it's a moving origin tied to the current camera; they are not, however, constantly rebasing the true world origin. Each object retains its true 64-bit position within a single map the entire time. But when it comes time for the player's client to render the current scene, it is all done using 32-bit coordinates relative to the camera as origin. There's no need for the 32-bit zoning and rebasing in the way you describe because it is already done dynamically for every single frame; for everything you, as a player looking at things being rendered can see, the origin is always right at your camera.

It's essentially the exact same solution that KSP uses to allow very large spaces in Unity, but with an added wrinkle due to having multiplayer: because no two clients origin will ever generally be the same, you have to be able to translate coordinates between different individuals, so you have to have a true 64-bit coordinate system backing the whole thing to serve as a common reference between the individual 32-bit render coordinate systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Eonwe posted:

she pretended to put stickers on her nipples
"PICK ME, SPARENERDS! I'M THE HOST YOU WANT, NOT HIM!"

• Locked thread