Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

Someone talked about digimon in a thread and now it's got me thinking about the show. Where can I watch the show on the internet? Crunchyroll etc...?

Hulu has the old seasons too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Yo What.

Why do you like season 2. I genuinely want to know.

I kind of liked it myself. For all it's (large, numerous) faults it did a lot of stuff right and could have been a pretty great show if it had slightly better direction and more focused writing.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

DoctorWhat posted:

Burkion summoned me here. It's me, I like 02.

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I also really liked 02 (except for Davis). I've been rewatching the whole show recently and to me it stood up to the nostalgia I have for it pretty well, especially during/after Ken's reformation. The world tour was pretty meh but I actually thought the Oikawa plot was pretty neat. :shobon: I'm chalking it up to the fact that I was in its target demographic at the time it came out.

drrockso20 posted:

More likely it's Michael or one of the other American Chosen Children, since from what I can recollect it's near impossible to fit Hurricane Touchdown into continuity properly

I actually just rewatched D:tM yesterday, and Izzy mentions knowing Willis in Our War Game too, so it seems like he might still be a possibility.

Rose Spirit fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 22, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rose Spirit posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I also really liked 02 (except for Davis). I've been rewatching the whole show recently and to me it stood up to the nostalgia I have for it pretty well, especially during/after Ken's reformation. The world tour was pretty meh but I actually thought the Oikawa plot was pretty neat. :shobon: I'm chalking it up to the fact that I was in its target demographic at the time it came out.

I actually just rewatched D:tM yesterday, and Izzy mentions knowing Willis in Our War Game too, so it seems like he might still be a possibility.

That's only in the dub

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Mad props for Our War Game for being such a cool movie and for Mamoru Hosoda to just say gently caress it and redo it all over again and make it better in Summer Wars.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I liked 02. It had it's problems, but I still enjoyed it, for the most part.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
02 was a crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors, even after seeing the uncut subtitled version on Funimation or Netflix. In retrospect it seems really dumb. On the other hand if they managed to work the Kaiser into a semi-coherent story, so they had that going for them.

Really, it'd be more fondly remembered without the wacky ending.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I really liked the ending. :shrug:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Our War Game is the loving bomb and it's actually better than Summer Wars, though Summer Wars is better-produced.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I dislike most of 02 and until Young Hunters it was by far my least favorite series. The ending is Pretty Bad.

Still, if Tri is bridging to that ending it's not necessarily bad, since taking elements from 02 to do interesting things is good, like how it gives TK more to do since he's managing that worldwide chosen children site and Taichi's thinking stuff way better and looking to not make damage with rash decisions like the diplomat he'll become. Imperialdramon seems like he'll come back as a Mega-level threat that isn't Omegamon-tier and him being a "friend" will probably do for some interesting things.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
02 had potential, but there were a lot of problems with story focus, character development, and toyetic, but mostly pointless stuff like the multiple armor forms that became completely obsolete as soon as everyone could go Champion naturally again.

Just off the top of my head, they could have made TK the leader of the group to show his maturity as he's now the veteran instead of the pampered youngest. He's the one who had the most issues with the enemy as we saw with his sudden rage towards all things darkness-related. Taming that anger to finally grow into someone worthy of the power of the Angemon line has a lot of potential for character development and growth as a leader of heroes. Much moreso than Davis who is essentially "Tai, but dumber".

Besides that, focus on the Dark Ocean and it's interest in Kari. A competent writer would be drooling over this ominous, evil realm that seems to empower the worst elements of someone that is ruled by strange not-Digimon. It'd make Kari more important to the storyline as well since she's the one that these things want the most. Hell, we could even get some explanation for why she has this strange power that nobody else does.

There are a lot of places 02 could have gone that would have easily improved it, but the writers clearly didn't know what to do with it all, as the jumble of bad ideas that formed the latter half of the plot showed.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

BMB5150 posted:

I just watched and saw the beginning how 02 was hosed really hard. Wonder if that was just saying hey most of you didn't like 02 so we're throwing a bone to you guys or (most likely) they'll be a plot device that they need to save them or they're in some way responsible for the space distortion. I kind of like 02 and can live with it so I'm interested to see.

I also like how they're balancing of what the original series was and what the characters have become and how everyone interacts. It's refreshing to see a more mature group of Digimon handlers rather than the kids we always go in the previous series'.

Looking from the picture, it looks like BlackImperialdramon which maybe the infection caused the mega evolution of Veemon and Wormon with a twist, or could be something entirely different. Lot of questions still to be answered but it's a good setup for the next set of episodes and excited for it.

My off-the-cuff prediction is that the 02 kids will have been brainwashed to be enemies for at least a few of the next parts.

Burkion posted:

How in the world do Mimi and Joe go Mega Level? (Also mildly amazed they're apparently first- usually Izzy and Sora are next up for the power ups) In season 1, Mega Level was effectively impossible to reach unless you got mutated by a poo poo ton of Digivice energy (Leomon) were made by some higher power (The Dark Masters being made by Apoclymon who wasn't strictly any kind of level in the show and not even a real Digimon), absorbed anothers power into yourself (Etemon and the Dark Network, Myotismon and his entire army) or you fulfill some super suspect bullshit prophesy (Tai and Matt)

"Blah blah blah crests. Blah blah blah you can go Mega now."

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Kuroyama posted:

"Blah blah blah crests. Blah blah blah you can go Mega now."
Yeah if you can describe 4 different disconnected ways with no foreshadowing that allowed something to happen, it's obvious they can just come up with more. Mega wasn't THAT special.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tri is good, Mimi is good, JP Agumon sounds weird, hope the 02 Crew aren't proper smoked.

Those are my Digimon feelings.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Yeah the weirdest part of watching Digimon Tri was getting used to the JP voices and the lack of DIGIMON DIGITAL MONSTERS DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS everywhere. Reminds me of when I tried to watch Digimon Tamers JP and the lack of nostalgic camp made it less enjoyable for me.

At least it's been so long since I saw Digimon that I completely forgot most of the characters' names so I didn't care that they called Matt Yamato, as an example.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
02 is just really crippled by plot holes and just generally not being very good. Tri on the other hand is very good and seems to be cribbing from Tamers playbook, you can tell because Tamers playbook is on Taichi's desk in the opening.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

aers posted:

Another licensor has it in Europe, but feel free to blame Toei I guess.

Given they were the ones that sold it, I fell that I shall.

If Toei would get their act together and ensure any sort of world wide simultaneous release as part of their licencing agreement (what, Toei can tell Viz to shite out their Sailor Moon release into a updresed downresed farce such that they can juice Japan for all it's worth but won't tell....whoever the gently caress has the EUR rights to Tri..."Put it out this date in line with the Americas or you can shove it?") instead of going "Shows in america, jobs done", then certain outlets would have less an excuse to do what they do in the realm of :filez:

Then again, this is the same company that's desperately trying to ice any interest anyone outside of Japan has about DB Super which should be plastered on every Anime Streaming site, preferably with the Funi DB Kai cast Simuldubing it.

Instead, the first english exposure that show will get is an Odex-like afair of a dub. At this point I'm willing to bet they are just that thick about things.

It would certainly explain Glitter Force's existence.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 22, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
They haven't even FINISHED dubbing DBZ Kai. That bugs me real bad.

e: Though I'm not sure if fault for that lies with Funi or Toei.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
Digimon Tri is good and I can't wait for the next part.

I initially did not like the character designs prior to watching it, but after seeing it in motion, I have grown to like it.

The action scenes were really good and they really emphasized the weight of their actions. They're not adding explosions, destruction, or extra effects just to make the fight look cool. The exchange between Alphamon and Omegamon felt like it had actual impact and the reaction from DigiDestined/Taichi reinforces it. The sound effects were amazing too. I can't remember any other anime that does it as well as this.

The build up before the fight between Alphamon and Omegamon was also great. It's amazing how they can immediately build up a terrifyingly powerful threat in just one episode.

Watching this is making me want to go back and watch the original Digimon Adventure since I haven't watched it since elementary.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Season 2 felt like it had worse art, even more questionable fashion choices (S1 Mimi worked because she was different than so many people around her), and they decided to hook season 1 into it and the handled it in a pretty lame way.

For example, viewers coming over from the first season basically have TK and Kari left as your remaining Everyday Crew from the first season. And after so many years of being the little guy that has to be protected, TK is still basically in the "and also TK" role of being just sort of a vanilla fall guy who is pushed around by Davis and his Obvious Team Leader designation (even though Davis is often shown being kind of unreliable in the style of your typical shonen slacker. At least he isn't vanilla, at any rate.)

Maybe it's easier to buy Davis if you're new; I did warm up to him a bit in The Movie but in general in season 1 I tend to think of the kids first and the mons second. In season 2 I tend to think "Flamedramon is awesome, wasn't his guy kind of annoying and wore a jacket with loving flames on it?"

So I just happily ignored it until news of the ending broke. Reactions to that seem to be widely negative, I was really emotionally upset with it but for generally personal reasons.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 22, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Craptacular! posted:

I was really emotionally upset with it but for generally personal reasons.

You can say "Because it paired/didn't pair up the characters I wanted it to" and we wont judge you. I mean that seriously. Digimon was probably one of the biggest causes of 'shipping' of kids in the west. Although I'm also partially joking, because the ending is just such uninspired tripe because none of the conclusions, even on the characters introduced for 02, are satisfying. But you're not wrong. On top of just being a really poor continuation of adventure, it's also just messing with the established parts of that show. The last message in Adventure (beyond 'sometimes you have to let your friends go') is "There's no such thing as a magical item that gives you the power of courage. You either ARE courageous or you aren't. It's always been with you." In an effort to explain away why the old protagonists can't do poo poo, they say "gently caress that, it was magical after all." And the worst part is there's never really any arc except for Ken, and his arc is "I thought Digimon were fake and I was evil, learning I was hurting real things hosed me up." An arc better handled by Yuu in Xros Wars, because Yuu seems genuinely happy rather than vile with his freedom to 'do anything' and his refusal to believe it is very obviously the fact that if he admits "Digimon are real and this is all for keeps, then I almost murdered my sister, her friends, and caused pain for thousands of lives."

That's part of what makes Tri great, we can see the continuation of the character arcs from Adventure. Taichi has one of the best lines in the movie "I see more and understand less." He's far more aware of the destruction and what it means and his own actions are far more limited from it. Yamato, who learned the value of friendship and teamwork is refusing to move on from how he was a kid in the happiest time of his life. And everyone ELSE is moving ahead of him and he just doesn't get it. Jou decided in Adventure that he would pursue the job as a doctor, but for his own reasons. He's clearly found that he's not suited for it, unable to spend time with his friends and just generally being very miserable. It's very much an expansion of one of Children's War Games plot points "We're not exactly as close as we used to be." And I loving loved Children's War Game.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 22, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Craptacular! posted:

So I just happily ignored it until news of the ending broke. Reactions to that seem to be widely negative, I was really emotionally upset with it but for generally personal reasons.

Onmi posted:

You can say "Because it paired/didn't pair up the characters I wanted it to" and we wont judge you. I mean that seriously. Digimon was probably one of the biggest causes of 'shipping' of kids in the west. Although I'm also partially joking, because the ending is just such uninspired tripe because none of the conclusions, even on the characters introduced for 02, are satisfying.

I'm pretty sure we hung around in the same internet social circles fifteen years ago. Funny how that works out.

quote:

That's part of what makes Tri great, we can see the continuation of the character arcs from Adventure. Taichi has one of the best lines in the movie "I see more and understand less." He's far more aware of the destruction and what it means and his own actions are far more limited from it. Yamato, who learned the value of friendship and teamwork is refusing to move on from how he was a kid in the happiest time of his life. And everyone ELSE is moving ahead of him and he just doesn't get it. Jou decided in Adventure that he would pursue the job as a doctor, but for his own reasons. He's clearly found that he's not suited for it, unable to spend time with his friends and just generally being very miserable. It's very much an expansion of one of Children's War Games plot points "We're not exactly as close as we used to be." And I loving loved Children's War Game.

I was thinking to myself when the Kuwagamon showed up and started wrecking up the joint that "man, that's a lot of property damage, wonder how they'll handwave this away" and then it turns out they don't handwave it all and is addressed in meaningful ways by the characters. It was quite refreshing. In the prior series, real-world damage would have been ignored at worst or just mildly addressed on a TV talking head for ten seconds. So, that's a good sign going forward.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

I'm pretty sure we hung around in the same internet social circles fifteen years ago. Funny how that works out.

I was thinking to myself when the Kuwagamon showed up and started wrecking up the joint that "man, that's a lot of property damage, wonder how they'll handwave this away" and then it turns out they don't handwave it all and is addressed in meaningful ways by the characters. It was quite refreshing. In the prior series, real-world damage would have been ignored at worst or just mildly addressed on a TV talking head for ten seconds. So, that's a good sign going forward.

Well Tamers would have talked about it, But Tamers was unique, and like Blaze said when we were talking, if they're cribbing off the Tamers playbook? Go ahead.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Onmi posted:

Well Tamers would have talked about it, But Tamers was unique, and like Blaze said when we were talking, if they're cribbing off the Tamers playbook? Go ahead.

That's true; I was mostly saying that Adventure/02 would have glossed. Steal as much from Tamers as possible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

kefkafloyd posted:

That's true; I was mostly saying that Adventure/02 would have glossed. Steal as much from Tamers as possible.

Yeah, I absolutely expected the series to just ignore it or at least undermine it. But nope, not only does it point it out, it shows realistic reactions out of the common people (and Taichi, of course) and I loved it and hope that continues being a thing for a long while.

Being Tamers-like is a good thing, so I hope Tri keeps being Tamers-like as much as it can. Not only the destruction, but also the black ops and just having adults take care of situations even if they can't directly fight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Yeah the weirdest part of watching Digimon Tri was getting used to the JP voices and the lack of DIGIMON DIGITAL MONSTERS DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS everywhere. Reminds me of when I tried to watch Digimon Tamers JP and the lack of nostalgic camp made it less enjoyable for me.

At least it's been so long since I saw Digimon that I completely forgot most of the characters' names so I didn't care that they called Matt Yamato, as an example.

Agumon sounded exactly like how a lizard monster might sound like. Gatomon Tailmon sounded like what her evolution would sound like except in the form of a toy cat. That was the most jarring to me. Seeing the American names for the Digimon alongside the Japanese names for the characters seemed a bit inconsistent. The character names were relatively close to their dub counterparts (if not unchanged) except for Izzy's

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Iirc weren't the dub names just supposed to be nicknames anyway?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rodyle posted:

Iirc weren't the dub names just supposed to be nicknames anyway?

In season 1 they were, yeah. We straight up got their Japanese names in their introductions, followed by their nicknames. It's why you've got blatantly Japanese names mixed with stuff like Matt.

Kari is the only one they didn't do that for explicitly, but I figure it's implied and it's not an English name either way.

I am extremely curious what the ultimate threat is going to be for Digimon Tri- Alphamon doesn't seem like he's going to be enough since Omnimon alone can match him fairly well. That and I don't think Alphamon is a straight up bad guy- he seems to be after rogue Digimon, if his interaction with the Kuwagamon fight is anything to go off of.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Back in college I got curious and watched all of Adventure 01 in Japanese cause it was on Netflix. So watching Tri in Japanese came across as totally natural. I also liked it a fair bit, though the change in style meant it didn't hit all the nostalgia buttons it probably could have.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Onmi posted:

You can say "Because it paired/didn't pair up the characters I wanted it to" and we wont judge you. I mean that seriously. Digimon was probably one of the biggest causes of 'shipping' of kids in the west.
It's the gooniest thing to say, but Digimon basically helped me realize I wasn't straight and why I had wasted four years trying to have girlfriends to no success. But I was also savvy enough to expect that the Tai/Matt thing wouldn't ever be acknowledged by a late 90s Japanese kids cartoon.

I was about 19 at the time, it really had more to do with that I had just left school not that long ago and wasn't sure what the gently caress I was going to do with myself, so throwing such a saccharine "happily ever after" thing where everybody is locked into some kind of successful, sometimes outlandish future and Living The Dream rubbed me the wrong way. I wanted something like Tri since back then, basically.

Probably shouldn't cry over a kids cartoon, but it was more like "if you need me, I'll be in my bedroom upset that real life is going to be nothing at all like that."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Burkion posted:

In season 1 they were, yeah. We straight up got their Japanese names in their introductions, followed by their nicknames. It's why you've got blatantly Japanese names mixed with stuff like Matt.

Kari is the only one they didn't do that for explicitly, but I figure it's implied and it's not an English name either way.

I am extremely curious what the ultimate threat is going to be for Digimon Tri- Alphamon doesn't seem like he's going to be enough since Omnimon alone can match him fairly well. That and I don't think Alphamon is a straight up bad guy- he seems to be after rogue Digimon, if his interaction with the Kuwagamon fight is anything to go off of.

Was that Alphamon who grabbed the last Kuwagamon? The digimon who grabbed it seemed much bigger. I assumed it was the arm of our new Big Bad. Especially since I didn't see a palm gem.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

ConanThe3rd posted:

what, Toei can tell Viz to shite out their Sailor Moon release into a updresed downresed farce such that they can juice Japan for all it's worth

Viz's Sailor Moon releases aren't downsessed anything. They're upscaled from old-rear end field-blended tapes. That doesn't excuse Viz's lovely attempts at getting it progressive (either do it right, or leave it interlaced), bullshit marketing, or having the DVDs for S1 part 1 being in widescreen mode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am going to throw out a bet and say the big bad guy will Vamdemon again.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I'm going to hope for Demon or one of the other Seven Demon Lords.

On reflection, I hope it's not a villain who's appeared in the past at all. I want this to feel like a whole new adventure and a continuation, not a nostalgia throw back. because 02 tried that and it was bad.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 22, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's obviously BlackMetalEtemon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Was that Alphamon who grabbed the last Kuwagamon? The digimon who grabbed it seemed much bigger. I assumed it was the arm of our new Big Bad. Especially since I didn't see a palm gem.

You know that's a good point. I'm not actually sure if it was Alphamon. I just assumed because he was a big gently caress off shadow gundam guy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

I'm going to hope for Demon or one of the other Seven Demon Lords.

On reflection, I hope it's not a villain who's appeared in the past at all. I want this to feel like a whole new adventure and a continuation, not a nostalgia throw back. because 02 tried that and it was bad.

Barbamon of the Seven Demon Lords has yet to show up in a series.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's Myotismon right? Sort of hoping this too, the anger will be incredible.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rodyle posted:

That's Myotismon right? Sort of hoping this too, the anger will be incredible.

You know, I kind of agree if only because I want to see if he could be killed yet again in an even more disappointing manner. Possibly involving tripping on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

It's the gooniest thing to say, but Digimon basically helped me realize I wasn't straight and why I had wasted four years trying to have girlfriends to no success. But I was also savvy enough to expect that the Tai/Matt thing wouldn't ever be acknowledged by a late 90s Japanese kids cartoon.

I was about 19 at the time, it really had more to do with that I had just left school not that long ago and wasn't sure what the gently caress I was going to do with myself, so throwing such a saccharine "happily ever after" thing where everybody is locked into some kind of successful, sometimes outlandish future and Living The Dream rubbed me the wrong way. I wanted something like Tri since back then, basically.

Probably shouldn't cry over a kids cartoon, but it was more like "if you need me, I'll be in my bedroom upset that real life is going to be nothing at all like that."

Honestly that is really cool. It's always great when shows like this can actually help and inspire people in their real life.

And it speaks to how botched season 2 was that...yeah. That was pretty much the normal reaction.

Season 1 was an exceptional series for a lot of reasons especially for what it is.

One thing I will say is that season 1 also did tackle the danger of the city fights fairly well, just more muted compared to what Tri can do because Tri has an actual budget.

The kids just didn't react to it as much because they're kids and don't REALLY get how bad trashing a city in a fight is. That and there were bigger problems- like Vampire Satan coming to eat their parents while vaporizing most of what was left of the city.