Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So is there a good game, preferably an RPG, that plays around with the lore? I like the setting of the Digital World when it's at it's most Vancian and would love to play something in that setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
How much you want to bet The new cat digimon is the twin of the Red version that's been in the background and that it's causing the tears?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kortel posted:

How much you want to bet The new cat digimon is the twin of the Red version that's been in the background and that it's causing the tears?

I'm afraid I'll have to destroy that idea. The other Digimon is Hackmon, someone who has already existed since the Digimon Adventure PSP game, and definitely not someone with the power to cause that.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm afraid I'll have to destroy that idea. The other Digimon is Hackmon, someone who has already existed since the Digimon Adventure PSP game, and definitely not someone with the power to cause that.

Sistermon can easily be the twin, Pre-evo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love that it's a Maine Coon.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

How much does tri rely on the viewer having a solid memory of 01? I remember some of it, like some of the character beats and how it began and ended, but generally it's pretty fuzzy for me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

How much does tri rely on the viewer having a solid memory of 01? I remember some of it, like some of the character beats and how it began and ended, but generally it's pretty fuzzy for me.

You'll be A-OK with this.

Works better if you barely remember season 2, as well. Mostly because they're doing some weird stuff with season 2's continuity, RE Matt able to go Mega level.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Alright, thanks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also seriously if you don't believe that they tried to treat the Digimon attacks in the real world with the same kind of weight they're able to show now, remember- when Joe talks about the original fight, between Greymon and Parrotmon when they were all children, it's specifically called terrorist bombings. The damage scared Izzy's parents so bad that they up and moved, and it's implied to be the reason why the other kids were scattered as well.

So yeah.

Season 2 kind of reduced it to a big joke though because, you know, season 2

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If we go beyond the technicalities for super technicalities, the 02 orb stuff doesn't matter because no chosen child needs crests of any kind or any outside help since the power of their attributes comes from themselves, so all the digimon need to evolve is their partners, right?

Next movie Joe will just scream "I DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE A GIRLFRIEND" and Gomamon will warp evolve to Vikingmon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If we go beyond the technicalities for super technicalities, the 02 orb stuff doesn't matter because no chosen child needs crests of any kind or any outside help since the power of their attributes comes from themselves, so all the digimon need to evolve is their partners, right?

That's not exactly the problem here. In Adventure, Taichi and Yamato only evolve their Digimon to Mega because of the arrows of Hope and Light, and that's following a prophecy of some sort. It's not like they obtain the forms by themselves, and no one else does either.

For all of 02's plot holes (and my Yggdrasil it's not lacking in those), this is actually consistent, Paildramon only evolves into Imperialdramon because of Qinglongmon's power, not due to Daisuke and Ken. And again, no one else achieves Mega.

Angemon and Angewomon also evolve into Mega in The Golden Digimentals but there there's no explanation whatsoever, it surprises even their partners, and it accomplishes nothing, so it made no loving sense because that movie is even worse than the actual series.

I'm ignoring entirely how 02 retconned everyone being able to evolve because of their own feelings and not the Crests, because Tri ignores it as well (and it is absolutely right in doing so), just pointing out how the Mega Evolutions work in both series in the Adventure-verse. We'll have to see if they stick to this for the rest of the Chosen in Tri, or they ignore it for the sake of having everyone else not be a load (which I'd be completely fine with, because I absolutely prefer when all the main cast can reach the final level, like in Tamers and Savers).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's not exactly the problem here. In Adventure, Taichi and Yamato only evolve their Digimon to Mega because of the arrows of Hope and Light, and that's following a prophecy of some sort. It's not like they obtain the forms by themselves, and no one else does either.

For all of 02's plot holes (and my Yggdrasil it's not lacking in those), this is actually consistent, Paildramon only evolves into Imperialdramon because of Qinglongmon's power, not due to Daisuke and Ken. And again, no one else achieves Mega.

Angemon and Angewomon also evolve into Mega in The Golden Digimentals but there there's no explanation whatsoever, it surprises even their partners, and it accomplishes nothing, so it made no loving sense because that movie is even worse than the actual series.

I'm ignoring entirely how 02 retconned everyone being able to evolve because of their own feelings and not the Crests, because Tri ignores it as well (and it is absolutely right in doing so), just pointing out how the Mega Evolutions work in both series in the Adventure-verse. We'll have to see if they stick to this for the rest of the Chosen in Tri, or they ignore it for the sake of having everyone else not be a load (which I'd be completely fine with, because I absolutely prefer when all the main cast can reach the final level, like in Tamers and Savers).

And the crests are the power to attain that power and were utterly shattered n' poo poo and everyone became nothingness in a recycle bin until they use their powers of courage, friendship, sincerity, etc. You just gotta believe hard enough.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that the prophecy was actually bullshit and all a ruse by Gennai to get at least two kids to believe in their attributes so loving hard they can do anything. (and when the prophecy includes get shot by arrows and you say yeah, then your believing powers are at max)

Limits and power levels are bullshit, it's just how hard you believe that matters cuz otherwise how does anyone come back from being deleted?

That movie you mentioned is probably just not canon, i'm just gonna believe that forever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There is just no way possible for that movie to be canon. Especially if they do change Angewomon's mega level.

The one thing I'm going to be curious to see, if each of the kids get to go Mega, will Serphimon be treated as special as MagnaAngemon and Angemon were? Or will he finally be allowed to be just a 'normal' Mega level

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kefkafloyd posted:

I'm pretty sure we hung around in the same internet social circles fifteen years ago. Funny how that works out.

It's 2015 and I stream HD video that I can't even be bothered to actually watch, but somehow pictures I took by hooking a VCR up with my goddamn Snappy are still circulating out there.

Yes, there was a time when having screen captures of actual TV was proof that your web site meant serious business. There was a good six months or so where I was the world's leading authority on Digimon screen captures until some guy in Brazil started going nuts and uploading a hundred or so pictures an episode.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And the crests are the power to attain that power and were utterly shattered n' poo poo and everyone became nothingness in a recycle bin until they use their powers of courage, friendship, sincerity, etc. You just gotta believe hard enough.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that the prophecy was actually bullshit and all a ruse by Gennai to get at least two kids to believe in their attributes so loving hard they can do anything. (and when the prophecy includes get shot by arrows and you say yeah, then your believing powers are at max)

Limits and power levels are bullshit, it's just how hard you believe that matters cuz otherwise how does anyone come back from being deleted?

That movie you mentioned is probably just not canon, i'm just gonna believe that forever.

Hurricane Touchdown is definitely not canon as it can't fit in to any reasonable time frame in the show. I don't thing the Ultimate stuff is too important, I mean... it is, in the sense that Ultimate is the final level and reaching it should be in story the culmination of your character arc, which is what Tamers did and why Tamers was stronger for it, the final evolutions all represented both physically and emotionally the culmination of the characters stories. Takato had gone from crying child to a heroic knight who fought no matter the odds and in his darkest moment still found the goodness to spare another, and Guilmon was raised from a digimon with child like innocence into one who could think and act for himself. Jenrya overcame his fear of hurting his friends and his pacifist nature to putting forward his full force in a fight to protect others (leading to the Ultimate being a literal walking arsenal) while Terriermon acted less for his own selfish desires with hurtful words and more to protect those around him, learning humility. Ruki overcame her hatred of her own femininity and mother issues to become quite caring towards Juri and Culumon, while Renamons evolutions all had an ambiguous sexless nature to them (unless you're furry for Renamon) And saw herself as another program, stating that she didn't have a gender. In short, physically the final forms all represented the end of their arcs and emotionally they represented the end. And it's really good.

And I'm completely fine with Tri copying from that and doing it for Jou, Mimi and the others. I'm sure they'll throw in Gennai doing something to give a plot excuse but honestly I'm fine with it just being "I have achieved the zenith of my emotional character arc that started 5 years ago."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

There is just no way possible for that movie to be canon. Especially if they do change Angewomon's mega level.

The one thing I'm going to be curious to see, if each of the kids get to go Mega, will Serphimon be treated as special as MagnaAngemon and Angemon were? Or will he finally be allowed to be just a 'normal' Mega level

Hurricane Touchdown is definitely not canon. That said, Angewomon is still likely becoming Holydramon, considering that's her Mega in the 15th anniversary Digivice. Or not, considering Ophanimon is in the PSP game. Who the gently caress knows at this point. I'm okay with either.

Also, in everything it's appeared in, Seraphimon is the same kind of "special" as Leomon. V-Tamer: Lord HolyAngemon evolves, immediatly gets beaten down and devolved by Arkadimon, in a series where devolution is not a thing and Arkadimon is of a much lower level. Hurricane Touchdown: Angemon Warp Evolves somehow, immediatly gets beaten down and returned to Patamon by Cherubimon, with his only contribution being a Golden Digimental. Frontier: Seraphimon appears, gets killed by Mercuremon reflecting his Seven Heavens back at him. He revives later, but never evolves again.

Considering that track record, part of me wants Patamon to never evolve, if only so Takeru doesn't get reduced to fodder. Because that's all Seraphimon's ever been.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe Angemon will Digivolve into SlashAngemon the most anime of Angemons

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Onmi posted:

Although I'm also partially joking, because the ending is just such uninspired tripe because none of the conclusions, even on the characters introduced for 02, are satisfying.

That's not completely true. Tai, Izzy, and Joe had good endings.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

We now know that Matt went to Mars in order to promote Knife of Day.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Craptacular! posted:

It's 2015 and I stream HD video that I can't even be bothered to actually watch, but somehow pictures I took by hooking a VCR up with my goddamn Snappy are still circulating out there.

Yes, there was a time when having screen captures of actual TV was proof that your web site meant serious business. There was a good six months or so where I was the world's leading authority on Digimon screen captures until some guy in Brazil started going nuts and uploading a hundred or so pictures an episode.

Yup, I was there, and lived that too. Not just in Digimon, either. We should catch up, I bet there's some interesting stories to trade, especially in the DIgimon fandom. Too bad you don't have plat or PMs would get started.

Burkion posted:

Also seriously if you don't believe that they tried to treat the Digimon attacks in the real world with the same kind of weight they're able to show now, remember- when Joe talks about the original fight, between Greymon and Parrotmon when they were all children, it's specifically called terrorist bombings. The damage scared Izzy's parents so bad that they up and moved, and it's implied to be the reason why the other kids were scattered as well.

So yeah.

Season 2 kind of reduced it to a big joke though because, you know, season 2

It's more in the cinematography and how the non-children characters react to it. It's very casual. Because I was feeling nostalgic, I rewatched the Myotismon arc over the weekend, and it's probably the strongest the show ever managed to get. There just isn't any time spent on the consequences of the actions, because it's a children's show and those things tend not to dwell too much on that for the sake of moving the story along. Then again, look at the recent Avengers movies to see how things targeted for more obvious adult audiences still manage to put spectacle before meaningful character reactions.

02 was delightfully schizophrenic on the real world implications too. You've got the happy-go-lucky Digimon World Tour, and then you've got Paildramon holding back on firing against Mummymon and Arukenimon because of potential civilian casualties. Tamers managed to get a better balance.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Craptacular! posted:

I remember being a tiny baby weeb in those dark days, Snappy wielding dorklords like you were my only sources of hot anime news like 'this episode looks neat' and 'oh poo poo new digimon'.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Neat translated chart.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kefkafloyd posted:

Yup, I was there, and lived that too. Not just in Digimon, either. We should catch up, I bet there's some interesting stories to trade, especially in the DIgimon fandom. Too bad you don't have plat or PMs would get started.
I ran the original Big Message Board about the show, which eventually was closed when an Even Bigger Message Board came along.

There's not exactly a lot of stories, but I guess I can think of a couple:

• Joshua Seth emailed me and told me about The Movie before there was any real info out there. He had to reinforce that this was a real no-poo poo go down to the cinemas movie; because given the size of the online fandom relative to some other properties I assumed that this was direct to video or something. I don't know if I was more surprised that Digimon was getting a movie or finding out that Tai's voice actor was actually a stage magician.

• I turned down what I remember to be basically an open job offer from Beckett Media to be involved in their then-upcoming Digimon publication. This is basically because I didn't know who they were very well, wasn't sure what I would be doing, was fresh out of high school and was skeptical of a guy I never knew before emailing me out of the blue and offering me a job. That seemed reasonable when I eventually saw their product, because I only followed the anime and know nothing about the games, virtual pets, or TCG.

Outside of that, several people from those days have remained AIM buddies over the past fifteen years, and one I still discuss games and anime with (I also invited him to this forum, where he became one of ADTRW's most infamous personalities and was mercifully permabanned).

I followed a few more people on LiveJournal after the site collapsed, but lost touch with the vast majority of everyone. There's a couple people who I wonder about, though.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 23, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hurricane Touchdown is definitely not canon. That said, Angewomon is still likely becoming Holydramon, considering that's her Mega in the 15th anniversary Digivice. Or not, considering Ophanimon is in the PSP game. Who the gently caress knows at this point. I'm okay with either.

Also, in everything it's appeared in, Seraphimon is the same kind of "special" as Leomon. V-Tamer: Lord HolyAngemon evolves, immediatly gets beaten down and devolved by Arkadimon, in a series where devolution is not a thing and Arkadimon is of a much lower level. Hurricane Touchdown: Angemon Warp Evolves somehow, immediatly gets beaten down and returned to Patamon by Cherubimon, with his only contribution being a Golden Digimental. Frontier: Seraphimon appears, gets killed by Mercuremon reflecting his Seven Heavens back at him. He revives later, but never evolves again.

Considering that track record, part of me wants Patamon to never evolve, if only so Takeru doesn't get reduced to fodder. Because that's all Seraphimon's ever been.

At least Leomon always gets a few good scenes to establish himself as a strong fighter before his inevitable death. Seraphimon has never been anything but a disappointment. At no point has he ever had anything resembling a good showing.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

gently caress, I just realized Meicoomon is MAIne COOn mon.

Also I'm not sure which Digimon site you guys were talking about, but the first forum I ever joined was what I think was the biggest message board. It was owned by one of the translators of the show. I was 10 at the time, and a couple years later when it closed I moved the next big one. I'm pretty sure that's where I found out about SA, come to think of it. It was also the first place that linked me to goatse. Good times.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Craptacular! posted:

I ran the original Big Message Board about the show, which eventually was closed when an Even Bigger Message Board came along.

I was one of the admins of the Even Bigger Messageboard, so... sorry about that. :v: Pretty sure I posted on your forum too before that. In retrospect, I don't really miss those years that much. The closest thing to Lord of the Flies is getting an internet community full of teenage and college age weebs in the pre-social media era and putting them in charge of each other.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I remember being a tiny baby weeb in those dark days, Snappy wielding dorklords like you were my only sources of hot anime news like 'this episode looks neat' and 'oh poo poo new digimon'.

The way fandom has changed and evolved over the past fifteen-twenty years due to changes in internet technology would make a good book. There was no social media or youtube or imgurs back then; it was all up to some kid or college student (usually) with a lot of free time and a little luck (e.g. someone like craptacular with a snappy or me who was able to get copies of import CDs and host crappily encoded MP3s) to put in an inordinate amount of work with little return. Now with the advent of wikis, the primary reason for those sites to exist (as a clearinghouse of content) doesn't really exist anymore. The communities grew from the desire of official and fan content, and that desire still exists today but it's been transplanted onto things like Youtube, Tumblr, and Twitter.

Something like Tri would have just went into the ether or underground back then, and yet here we are able to share the official subtitled version on a multinational release day from the comforts of our couch.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 23, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009
My favorite part was Izzy having a sweet cushy office and knows French and poo poo. Hes the best and was always my favorite character. Tentomon also the best after Agumon only because dinosaurs are rad. :colbert:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

KoB posted:

[Izzy's] the best and was always my favorite character.

This is true.

quote:

Tentomon also the best after Agumon only because dinosaurs are rad. :colbert:

I don't think I've ever seen a more incorrect statement on these forums. The Tentomon line is best line. :colbert:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kefkafloyd posted:

I was one of the admins of the Even Bigger Messageboard, so... sorry about that. :v: Pretty sure I posted on your forum too before that. In retrospect, I don't really miss those years that much. The closest thing to Lord of the Flies is getting an internet community full of teenage and college age weebs in the pre-social media era and putting them in charge of each other.
I didn't mind so much, ultimately someone very close to the show running their own board and bringing the kind of access they have to the original scripts was always going to attract a lot of attention.

Knowing the crowd I was dealing with, I tried to keep e-relationships and cliques down and had two responsible mature people as mods (I was the source of most of my own site drama.) But other than that, I was a lot more loose and anything goes compared to the guy who ran That Other Board, a guy whose Stick Up The Butt approach to the ultra-serious world of anime fan forums rubbed me the wrong way.

The funny thing is the story of how forum split began: I was originally using the same free forums software they used when it had no ads and no monetization and was the textbook example of a dot-com without a survival plan. When they started adding banner ads to my forum pages I went out and bought two commercial message board systems (the first used too many server resources.) This also required changing hosting for the whole site since my 90s ISP didn't let people run scripts on their free hosting.

Basically, people hated it because it was different and their muscle memory on how to do things like mark forums read required clicking in a different part of the screen than before. It was that old xkcd about people developing workflows around bad ideas. So they all went to the next largest ezBoard. I just couldn't grasp my head around people wanting a message board with ads (and later pop ups) that sold no-ads to users directly instead of to the people who run boards. That scheme seemed dumb even when in those shaky early days of the Internet, and seem even worse now.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think as a kid my favorite was Matt because I was an idiot and didn't yet understand that Mimi is actually the cool one.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Rodyle posted:

I think as a kid my favorite was Matt because I was an idiot and didn't yet understand that Mimi is actually the cool one.
Yeah as much as I'm loving this nostalgia trip it's kind of amusing that she's just about the only character that breathes life into the scene.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Craptacular! posted:

I didn't mind so much, ultimately someone very close to the show running their own board and bringing the kind of access they have to the original scripts was always going to attract a lot of attention.

Knowing the crowd I was dealing with, I tried to keep e-relationships and cliques down and had two responsible mature people as mods (I was the source of most of my own site drama.) But other than that, I was a lot more loose and anything goes compared to the guy who ran That Other Board, a guy whose Stick Up The Butt approach to the ultra-serious world of anime fan forums rubbed me the wrong way.

There was plenty of chaos; it was just not in areas you would expect it to be. That forum was so huge that the amount of resources it placed upon EZboard were far more than it could handle from a technical standpoint. It was EZBoard's number one consumer of resources and bandwidth for a long time. The sheer amount of posts required a gigantic mod team, because when you're labeled as the "biggest," you get a lot of weirdos. Trying to put a handle on that sheer number of posts is a truly herculean effort and a lot of times that results in the no-fun squad showing up when maybe it would have been better off to just let people post and get it out of their system.

Although I haven't talked to him in several years, the guy with The Stick Up His Butt has mellowed out considerably.

Craptacular! posted:

The funny thing is the story of how forum split began: I was originally using the same free forums software they used when it had no ads and no monetization and was the textbook example of a dot-com without a survival plan. When they started adding banner ads to my forum pages I went out and bought two commercial message board systems (the first used too many server resources.) This also required changing hosting for the whole site since my 90s ISP didn't let people run scripts on their free hosting.

Basically, people hated it because it was different and their muscle memory on how to do things like mark forums read required clicking in a different part of the screen than before. It was that old xkcd about people developing workflows around bad ideas. So they all went to the next largest ezBoard. I just couldn't grasp my head around people wanting a message board with ads (and later pop ups) that sold no-ads to users directly instead of to the people who run boards. That scheme seemed dumb even when in those shaky early days of the Internet, and seem even worse now.

It's just how things were done back then for a lot of services. I wonder how much actual profits any of that ad money brought in. There's also inertia when it comes to things like postcounts, users, URLs, and so on. I've seen communities die of the same thing, or when the fandom of a product naturally died down they'd migrate to another community.

You could buy EZBoard Gold for your whole forum if you had the scratch, but a board like that was impossible to finance in such a way, and would have been cheaper (overall) to run on dedicated hosting. People were also a lot more willing to put up with ads back then because you didn't have autoplaying flash video ads and all the other garbage we have today. Popup blockers were in vogue then, which is what most people used anyway. Dedicated hosting back then cost a lot more money than it does now, though, and that was a monumental move. Nevertheless, it would still have been a not insignificant amount of money on a monthly basis and the people running the forum were not exactly flush with cash. But inertia and the fact that nobody wanted to pony up for that kept it in the state that it was. I distinctly remember people raising funds to pay for ad-free weeks for the entire forum. Now all that stuff is gone and the vacuum's been taken up with things like Reddit, terrible as that can be.

I now design user interface for a living and deal with this same problem, except people get a lot more antsy when their tens-of-thousands of dollars workflow product moves their cheese. Unless there are concrete gains in productivity or usefulness, it costs more in user retraining and annoyance to change even though they may be missing out on new, useful functionality by staying put.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kefkafloyd posted:

You could buy EZBoard Gold for your whole forum if you had the scratch, but a board like that was impossible to finance in such a way, and would have been cheaper (overall) to run on dedicated hosting.
I don't remember how much that cost. I started off buying UBB and, after it was using too much resources, vBulletin. I mainly just liked having the ability to back everything up and basically not feel like I was a client. But I also spent much of my youth obsessed with the idea of being a sort of junior network system admin, studying BBS systems etc. It was probably a case of being nerdier than my audience, but it sounds like you guys went through a lot of poo poo that would have caused me to hand it off to someone else anyway.

I'm glad to hear that JT worked it out. I'll chalk it up to a lovely adolescence from what little I knew about him.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well I'm apparently last one on the bus when it comes to Tri actually getting a release, though in fairness I hadn't thought about it because I assume we'd have a Kamen Rider movie style release schedule (IE: The movie for one series gets subs halfway into the rest because LOL DVDs). I'm actually really glad with the execution, because the early story spoilers made it sound downright awful.

Frankly after seeing really good characterization I hope the 02 team hops on board the Tri train in the next movie, 02's cast could desperately use some on-screen time being written competently and given coherent direction. Consider that the subplots about Taichi feeling conflicted and directionless and the handful of scenes about the public reaction to the recurrence of Digimon attacks both seem to be leading towards the "Taichi becomes ambassador for the Digital World" ending of 02. Also the fact that no one mentions them, like at all, bugs me. The scene with Takeru posting on the international DigiDestined website really feels like it was missing him saying something like "Daisuke, what happened?", and Koushirou really should have listed their sudden absence as "this is a bad sign". It's not like they don't or didn't exist, we get confirmation they haven't been Ryo'd out of existence because not!Hypnos has a listing for them. Also when Taichi and Yamato have their heart-to-heart on the ferris wheel they linger very deliberately on the Rainbow bridge and the island where Omegamon crashed in movie 4.

Random thoughts:

People pointed out that Tri seems to be cribbing heavily from Tamers in terms of scope and focus, but I wasn't expecting them to almost literally copy the Tamers evolution sequence as well. I do like the little detail of Patamon folding in his wings to fit in the egg. Incidentally Brave Heart was and remains my least favorite insert song from the series, so another reason I want to see them is that if they bring back the 02 team we might actually get to hear Beat Hit again which I'd be 100% in favor of. The orchestral version at the end was nice, but just made me wish for an awesome operatic version of a song I actually like. Speaking of music I noticed both that they reused one of the fight songs from the original Adventure, and that I'm enough of a pedant that I immediately caught that.

I wonder why they didn't call many attacks.

I love how Koushirou keeps babbling to Tentomon about digi-physics, and only drops the subject when Jyou mentions his new girlfriend. Incidentally having that as the denouement to the extremely heavy tiff was actually really good. Also Koushirou inventing technology to let the Adventure kids do stuff that came standard with Savers and Xros Wars tickled me a little.

Is Mochizuki allergic to Digimon like Kurata was? She seems to cough and sneeze around them a lot.

I'm moderately amused that Gennai apparently founded Hypnos and then skedaddled. He's playing like a mix of Yamaki and Shibumi. Incidentally I'm curious to see where they take it because as of now they seem to be portrayed as deliberately but vaguely sketchy. I wonder if there's going to be a division between an on-the-level version and an evil version. I'm pretty much shooting that one on spare based on the framing of a couple of scenes, but who knows.

I liked how much impact the fight with Alphamon had. The movie did a really good job getting across exactly how scarily strong an Ultimate digimon actually is, let alone two of them fighting. The fight choreography of Alphamon smacking people around was also excellent. Also enjoyable for me was Alphamon using Digitalize of Soul to summon the Ouryuken, that was a neat attention to detail and lore.

Additional baseless speculation is that Agumon has been infected by whatever thing the Kuwagamon had, while Greymon and that first Kuwagamon were grappling both of them seriously distorted together.

Most of the rest of the dangling plot threads feel pointless to poke at for now so I won't try. I will be somewhat patiently waiting to explain what's up with Meikoomon and the virus, what Alphamon was angling for, why Hackmon is running around, what was up with the opening narration (Will we fight Ialdamon?), and where in general the plot is going to move to.

Frankly it was better than I hoped for.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

I liked how much impact the fight with Alphamon had. The movie did a really good job getting across exactly how scarily strong an Ultimate digimon actually is, let alone two of them fighting. The fight choreography of Alphamon smacking people around was also excellent. Also enjoyable for me was Alphamon using Digitalize of Soul to summon the Ouryuken, that was a neat attention to detail and lore.

The lack of speeches or fight commentary helped that scene a lot as well. It allows the viewers to focus on the fight and how much impact it had.

I like how the fight was really short. It showed how much destruction they have done in little time after both were fighting seriously. If they were able to prolong the fight, which they couldn't as shown when Alphamon powered down and couldn't lift Ouryuken off the ground, then the surroundings could turn out as bad as the fight between the DigiDestined and VenomMyotismon in Digimon Adventure.

I somehow want a remake of 01 with the budget of Digimon Adventure Tri. I was reminded of how much destruction 01 had while going through the season hastily.

BurningDance fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 24, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

I wonder why they didn't call many attacks.

Movies rarely do. None of the movies set in the Adventure-verse have attack calls in the Japanese version, Tri (which is a series of movies, making it debatably both a series and a movie) follows that. And honestly, it helps a lot with the more realistic, kaiju-style they're trying to go for.

Which makes me wonder why Togemon calls her one attack in the movie when nobody else does.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Which makes me wonder why Togemon calls her one attack in the movie when nobody else does.
I always knew Palmon was a chuuni.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Movies rarely do. None of the movies set in the Adventure-verse have attack calls in the Japanese version, Tri (which is a series of movies, making it debatably both a series and a movie) follows that. And honestly, it helps a lot with the more realistic, kaiju-style they're trying to go for.

Oh I know that attack calls are often waived in the movies, but their absence still struck me as a little odd. Mostly this is because of the staging. The old movies usually used their budget such that attacks came more off the cuff since they didn't generally use the stock footage from the show. In those movies the staging was such that there were no attack calls and that didn't feel out of place. However in Tri it felt a little odd to me because they set up shots as though they were doing new staging of the old stock footage but didn't call them. There were a couple of times where they seemed to be mirroring the old stock footage, there were a couple of Mega Flames and one particular Meteor Wing and Mega Blaster that were so close to the show I was surprised that we didn't hear an attack call for them.

Incidentally a cute thing I noticed at the end right as the point blank Garuru Cannon fires there are a couple of frames of Metal Garurumon and War Greymon Open Getting out of the blast radius.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have to say

I really loving want season 1 remade with Tri's budget. Holy poo poo I want it so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Burkion posted:

I have to say

I really loving want season 1 remade with Tri's budget. Holy poo poo I want it so much

Well adventure had a budget of animation of about $5 and then Episode 21 as a standout done by Mamoru Hosada.