Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

I get that. But we're talking about Star Citizen whereby none of that is being simulated. Which was my original point.

They should be trying. Basic physics of inertia is a fundamental thing a space flight sim should be trying to target. A player jumping out the bay during high speed flight should stay right next to the vehicle he dropped out of, unless it's currently accelerating/decelerating.

My only complaint was you seemed to assert they shouldn't have the player maintain the ship's velocity. If that's incorrect, then we have no disagreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

XK posted:

They should be trying. Basic physics of inertia is a fundamental thing a space flight sim should be trying to target. A player jumping out the bay during high speed flight should stay right next to the vehicle he dropped out of, unless it's currently accelerating/decelerating.

My only complaint was you seemed to assert they shouldn't have the player maintain the ship's velocity. If that's incorrect, then we have no disagreement.
The basic physics of inertia says that the pilots should be reduced to paste if the ship accelerates like that. And at those velocities they should also be subject to noticeable relativistic effects, if we want to go the realistic route.

I have an idea, maybe it's some kind of magic inertialess warp drive and jumping out of the ship removes you from the warp field and returns you to normal space.

There, problem solved. Lets move the gently caress on.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
How many people are able to be on the same station at once now? 2?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Surely in our promised space sim repair involves replacing physical components? And in a universe with any fidelity, some of those would be on the exterior of the ship? We must be able to perform immersive repairs outside the hull while the ship in under way.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2 had bombers that absolutely worked along those lines: slow, lumbering ships that were a bit larger than fighters, were more heavily armored and sometimes had turret mounts that automatically fired at enemy fighters, as well as firing "bombs" that were indeed glorified missiles only effective against capital ships (except for specialized antifighter ordnance like cluster bombs). They were pretty rad, and worked in the Freespace series largely because that series was about pre-scripted space battles against NPC opponents, where balancing was about making individual battles suitably challenging to the player by tweaking ship specs and adjusting the number of allies and opponents.

It's a decent ship concept for space battle games as far as I'm concerned, but you're right that it really doesn't justify expanding the scope of Star Citizen again and adding a new plethora of balancing and testing issues again. X3: Albion Prelude had anti-capital ship missiles as well, and handled them very cleanly, by just adding to the list of missiles that some of the ships could load rather than by doing a cash grab.

Explain to me how torpedoes cause "expanding the scope of Star Citizen"? Or do you mean bombers?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

tooterfish posted:

The basic physics of inertia says that the pilots should be reduced to paste if the ship accelerates like that. And at those velocities they should also be subject to noticeable relativistic effects, if we want to go the realistic route.

I have an idea, maybe it's some kind of magic inertialess warp drive and jumping out of the ship removes you from the warp field and returns you to normal space.

There, problem solved. Lets move the gently caress on.

I've already covered this. If you can simulate gravity, you can simulate inertia and the effects of acceleration. The General Theory of Relativity covers these issues. There is wiggle room with stuff like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive, but the game just seems to dump you out with zero velocity, which is immersion breaking for people paying $2,500 for space ships.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

D_Smart posted:

Yup.

But that's not what we're discussing here.

My point is that, like with most games, that type of ordnance is specialized. It works with a pre-existing system. e.g. want to see how many missiles (all of which do different things) are in Battlecruiser/Universal Combat? Look here. Including massively devastating Orbit To Surface ordnance. All with unique characteristics (physics, warhead etc). But still basically missiles.

In Star Citizen, unlike other games (e.g. Freespace), they've upped the ante of ridiculousness only so that now, torpedos are a special item that requires a special bay blah, blah - all of which you have to buy.

Nobody wants to look at your lovely 20 year old failure of a game.

Also, are you implying you have to play real monies for torpedoes?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, but I don't think the planets and stuff are a part of the skybox because they're actual objects and someone here posted you can fly around them if you are patient enough. If it is just another zone, it would have to take those object and move them in space relative to the direction you are flying.

I guess it would be possible for SC to have a lot of zones, which are basically like boxes (cube shaped volumes of size X). Which could make up the whole game world. Or the whole game world is additive, thus you only need "zones of interest" which helps determine what the client needs to load/unload. There would be no zones in empty space. Or empty space would consist of empty zones.
Though "zones" would be more like content volumes. Big (invisible) cubes, and upon entering them: poo poo gets loaded/streamed. Those "zones" should be large enough that normal entry would result in smooth loading of stuff. Though as the quantum video shows: The zones are small enough that you see stuff get unloaded.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

which is immersion breaking for people paying $2,500 for space ships.

My immersion! *clears tears with a monogrammed golden anime kleenex*

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

D_Smart posted:

I get that. But we're talking about Star Citizen whereby none of that is being simulated. Which was my original point.

Yeah I got you. Because the ship isn't actually moving at all! :v:

Which begs the question though: if the ship isn't actually physically moving from point A to B when you quantum jump, why does jumping out of the ship leave you adrift? I would imagine they could just have the player have a huge imparted velocity when the stuff jumps out of quantum space or whatever when the assets spawn.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 22, 2015

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

warcrimes posted:

Also, are you implying you have to play real monies for torpedoes?
Yes, you gotta buy the launcher with real cash. I think it's about :10bux::10bux:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

trucutru posted:

My immersion! *clears tears with a monogrammed golden anime kleenex*

I can't believe I cited Einstein's General Theory of Relativity in a thread about video games.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

warcrimes posted:

Explain to me how torpedoes cause "expanding the scope of Star Citizen"? Or do you mean bombers?

I mean giant loving ship-sized torpedoes that require new ship types and new ship equipment just to carry around and fire. That's a hell of a lot of stuff to integrate into the larger game and balance to the point that they're viable without being overpowered. Case in point, EVE Online added stealth bombers awhile back and they were useless for many years, then they got reworked and became hideously overpowered when used a certain way, completely reshaping fleet battles in that game, and other ships had to be balanced further to counteract the effect that stealth bombers were suddenly having. The balancing and rebalancing continues to this day. When EVE adds a ship, they have to consider how it works with every other ship already in the game, then when they add another ship, they have to balance with every other ship already in the game including the last one they added. Similar issues arise with Star Citizen, the way I see it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNoJj2VJjuw&t=523s

Guy activates an uplink for one of the mission things and he sounds so incredibly happy that I totally forgive him for quoting his referral code.

AP fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 23, 2015

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Similar issues arise with Star Citizen, the way I see it.

no way, it's easy as poo poo to implement and balance a jpeg

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
So does Elite Dangerous have realistic zero-g physics or is it also like flying an airplane?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
So what are the missions like in the Alpha so far?

is there anything beyond a variant of; go to this abandoned place, press the action button on a monitor, return to ship, good work citizen?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

is there anything beyond a variant of; go to this abandoned place, press the action button on a monitor, return to ship, good work citizen?

Objectives:
-Collect 15 pirate pubes
-Collect 10 nerd wallets
-Return to Sandi

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Jon Do posted:

no way, it's easy as poo poo to implement and balance a jpeg

Pretty much that; they sidestep the whole issue of balancing because they're not advertising a game, or even a ship in that game, or even a loving ship part in that game. They're advertising and selling a game concept, and you're absolutely right that that's easy as poo poo to do.

Hey everybody, I'm going to make a game called GIANT SPACE TORPEDOES: THE GAME! In GIANT SPACE TORPEDOES: THE GAME you play an astronaut in a futuristic space battlefield full of huge capital ships firing torpedoes the size of smaller spaceships! Look at the size of those torpedoes, man!

As a space soldier fighting for one space empire in this battle, your job is to fly your ship up alongside one of these hilariously large torpedoes, get out of your ship, board the torpedo, and perform one of a number of torpedo-related missions! Sometimes you need to navigate it to its target for some reason I'll figure out later, other times you have to disarm it, other times you have to redirect it to hit a different capital ship! All of this is done as the torpedo is flying through space and lasers are pew-pewing all around and massive ships filled with entire armies of hapless crewmen are blown to smithereens!

What's this? Watch out, another enemy astronaut has boarded your torpedo! Exciting multiplayer action ensues on a cylindrical battlefield environment with over 15 different astronaut weapons!

See, that was easy as poo poo. Nobody's going to pay for it though, because I didn't actually make GIANT SPACE TORPEDOES: THE GAME; all I did was poo poo out a bunch of words. From the looks of things, Star Citizen backers would and are paying large sums of money for "ship concepts" that amount to a comparable amount of effort to what I just did, and that's just hosed.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNoJj2VJjuw

Guy activates an uplink for one of the mission things and he sounds so incredibly happy that I totally forgive him for quoting his referral code.
The Aurora, man-- I will never not laugh watching a pilot squeeeeeeeeze his way into that seat.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCVQss_tV0s

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:lol:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

See, that was easy as poo poo. Nobody's going to pay for it though, because I didn't actually make GIANT SPACE TORPEDOES: THE GAME; all I did was poo poo out a bunch of words.

See, I would unironically play the poo poo out of htis though.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I mean giant loving ship-sized torpedoes that require new ship types and new ship equipment just to carry around and fire. That's a hell of a lot of stuff to integrate into the larger game and balance to the point that they're viable without being overpowered. Case in point, EVE Online added stealth bombers awhile back and they were useless for many years, then they got reworked and became hideously overpowered when used a certain way, completely reshaping fleet battles in that game, and other ships had to be balanced further to counteract the effect that stealth bombers were suddenly having. The balancing and rebalancing continues to this day. When EVE adds a ship, they have to consider how it works with every other ship already in the game, then when they add another ship, they have to balance with every other ship already in the game including the last one they added. Similar issues arise with Star Citizen, the way I see it.

So you're just crying about game and ship balancing? Show me on the Space Commander Vixen Sandi Gardner Intergalactic REALDoll(avail for $69,999(+$6999 VAT in euro) where stealth bombers in another game touched you?

Pretty much that; they sidestep the whole issue of balancing because they're not advertising a game, or even a ship in that game, or even a loving ship part in that game. They're advertising and selling a game concept, and you're absolutely right that that's easy as poo poo to do.

Hey everybody, I'm going to make a game called GIANT SPACE TORPEDOES: THE GAME! In GIANT SPACE TORPEDOES: THE GAME you play an astronaut in a futuristic space battlefield full of huge capital ships firing torpedoes the size of smaller spaceships! Look at the size of those torpedoes, man!

As a space soldier fighting for one space empire in this battle, your job is to fly your ship up alongside one of these hilariously large torpedoes, get out of your ship, board the torpedo, and perform one of a number of torpedo-related missions! Sometimes you need to navigate it to its target for some reason I'll figure out later, other times you have to disarm it, other times you have to redirect it to hit a different capital ship! All of this is done as the torpedo is flying through space and lasers are pew-pewing all around and massive ships filled with entire armies of hapless crewmen are blown to smithereens!

What's this? Watch out, another enemy astronaut has boarded your torpedo! Exciting multiplayer action ensues on a cylindrical battlefield environment with over 15 different astronaut weapons!

See, that was easy as poo poo. Nobody's going to pay for it though, because I didn't actually make GIANT SPACE TORPEDOES: THE GAME; all I did was poo poo out a bunch of words. From the looks of things, Star Citizen backers would and are paying large sums of money for "ship concepts" that amount to a comparable amount of effort to what I just did, and that's just hosed.

:allears:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHH5F9Jfys

haha, watch that.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I would like to sign up to play GIANT SPACE TORPEDOES: THE GAME. Do you have a kickstarter/patreon going?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

OWLS! posted:

See, I would unironically play the poo poo out of htis though.

That's the point.

You would, if it was real, but it's not real, it's some words describing an idea that will never BE real because it's just words and the person who typed them has no intention of making the game they describe and even if they did, they are not capable of doing so.

which is why you haven't given forums user Pittsburgh Labmic several thousand dollars.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I'm beginning to think that it's going to be more effective to steal a JPEG than to pay $375 for it.

Can't wait.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

trucutru posted:

I'm beginning to think that it's going to be more effective to steal a JPEG than to pay $375 for it.

Can't wait.

Literally all I want to do in Star Citizen is steal the largest, most expensive jpegs and fly them into the sun.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

I like how he is floating outside in middle of space and can hear ships fly by him including the doppler effect. Space realism to the next level!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

What the gently caress is going on here? Do those doors get progressively smaller. This is some Alice in wonderland bullshit. :psyduck:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Literally all I want to do in Star Citizen is steal the largest, most expensive jpegs and fly them into the sun.

Just pirate the jpegs from RSI's website and have your wicked way with them right now. :v:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

funniest part of that video is that it takes him literally 35 seconds to get in the ship and take off

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fatkraken posted:

which is why you haven't given forums user Pittsburgh Labmic several thousand dollars.

No, you haven't given Pitssburg Labmic several thousand dollars.
I'm fully invested in GIANT SPACE TORPEDOES. They have nowhere to go but UP!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

OWLS! posted:

No, you haven't given Pitssburg Labmic several thousand dollars.
I'm fully invested in GIANT SPACE TORPEDOES. They have nowhere to go but UP!

Joke's on you, there's no UP in space, where the giant torpedoes are.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

XK posted:

I've already covered this. If you can simulate gravity, you can simulate inertia and the effects of acceleration. The General Theory of Relativity covers these issues. There is wiggle room with stuff like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive, but the game just seems to dump you out with zero velocity, which is immersion breaking for people paying $2,500 for space ships.
An Alcubierre drive doesn't accelerate the ship, it warps space around the ship. So theoretically the drive wouldn't actually affect inertia at all, and once the warp field was disabled/exited objects would return to their original velocity. Therefore what happens in Star Citizen is actually more plausible (can't believe I just wrote that) than your scenario of the guy exiting the ship being slung into a planet at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light, fun as that sounds.

What I'm getting here is that you can accept magic technology that violates physics in a computer game, only if it works in the specific way you imagine to be realistic, and not in any other way... even if that way actually makes as least as much if not more sense?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 23, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

What the gently caress is going on here? Do those doors get progressively smaller. This is some Alice in wonderland bullshit. :psyduck:

I dunno, possibly there's a crawl space above the corridor and he clipped out and the animations weren't finished. Or maybe they both tried to use the door at the same time and the other guy was concierge level.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

XK posted:

I'm still very annoyed that SC's small gimbaled thrusters can counter the force of the main thrusters.

Also that's what we assume is being used in Elites "friendship" drive. And hyperspace rips a tear to another dimension. It's easier to swallow than SC'S lore. QD, different jump point sizes, gimbaled thrusters, massless ships.

As for jump points, imagine we had to aimlessly fly around in cruise mode just to look for these mythical holes in space. How fun!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

G0RF posted:

Kinda makes ya think!

Awwww yiss... more whales are getting antsy :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

AP posted:

I dunno, possibly there's a crawl space above the corridor and he clipped out and the animations weren't finished. Or maybe they both tried to use the door at the same time and the other guy was concierge level.

The animation that was supposed to move him through the door into the cargo hold bugged and glitched him into the ships upper hull instead. Since he was no longer "inside" the ship the local physics grid stopped working. At least that's what it looks like. The get in / get out animations in general tend to have problems with placing you into the correct spot.

• Locked thread