Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stanos posted:

Honestly the PSX and PSP version are so drastically different it's not really a good comparison. The story and the places are there but they are their own monsters. Luck is not a very visible stat, changes by the days and only one class can screw around with it. It might work but it's a lot of work to tinker with luck.

Here's a loot spreadsheet if you want to see (spoilers for an area that hasn't been approached in this LP and some characters):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10DsaEZYRKWuBfas_PQW6PujBu5jymcuFo7doOvQwF0E/edit?hl=en&authkey=CN7x4vQJ#gid=0

It's not an understatement to say if you want the loot you are going to be in there for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time charioting for drops, especially if you decide to do all your fork/special class farming in one go. And a lot of the fights you'll want to retreat and reloot too (winged boots, sidhe shoes, elemental armor, fork farming, MALITZA STAVES). Some of it drops in another dungeon but past a certain point is bright shiny new loot and orichalcum.

...pardon me, I have to go sob in a corner remembering how much time it took to farm orichalcum. :suicide:

As neat as the PSP version seems if I were to every replay LUCT I'm just going to stick to the PSX version because at least with its goofy grind I know I can always just fall back on some Snapdragon weapons and have Presence wipe out everything with Starion in the late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 56: Tie Your Mother Down

Since we went through the main gate the other two paths are closed off to us now.

Not that we have any reason to go there. There is only one obstacle left in our way.

And that obstacle is this Latimer fellow we heard so much about during the last fight.

This is one of those maps where the developers tried hard. We start down at Point 1 and our target is over at Point 2. Up at Point 3 there are a couple of archers to deal with. But given their staring height it is difficult to reach them. So we are going to just let them do their thing and do our best to ignore them. Anything else would require way too much effort. For your convenience the red semicircle marks the outer boundary of the archers attack range. You will notice that Point 4 is well inside that circle. That is where we will eventually meet up with the target.

Our plan will be to send out two groups. One group will follow the green arrow and march right into arrow land. While the other group will follow the yellow arrow and will sneak up behind Latimer once he reaches Point 4.

Here is a better look at our target and his cronies over at Point 2.

Head's up! One of these ninjas drops the scroll for the Decoy ninjitsu, so make sure to kill them all to make sure. I forgot, but I had a reason. You'll see.

There is something different about these two ladies.

Unlike most people they are not afraid to walk in waist high water.

That's because they actually have the Wade skill. I mean there is no reason to all of this. That bit of water in front of them didn't need to be there and even then they could have just as easily been placed on the other side of it. But it's a nice little touch. Pointless but nice.

Over at Point 3 we have the rear end in a top hat archers and for some reason one out of place warlock. Why is he even here? He is too high up to ever contribute anything to this battle. He should have just stayed home. Oh, wait... this is home.

Sometime I forget we are the jerk invaders.

Don't get me wrong our enemies can be jerks too. Look at them attack poor defenseless Cuthbert.

Up top, our target makes his way down to Point 4.

While the melee starts down below.

And the archers, can't forget about the archers.

The flanking group also makes contact with the enemy.

Can't let this golem do as he pleases.

I am starting to rethink the ignore the archers plan. I would do something about them, except...

At this point my computer exploded. Well to be honest it didn't exploded but that sound cooler then saying I was having power supply problems and it kept shutting off. I didn't notice this for a while and keep playing, so...

We now return to the battle already in progress.

Looks like we missed some developments. We have surrounded our target and we even got his back against the wall, literally. Also the golem seems to be taking a nap. Too bad for us Rampart Aura is still active even while asleep, so we can't actually stab Latimer with our swords just yet.

We can stab with a spear though.

But this wakes up the golem. Which is usually a bad thing, but this time.

Prowler tries to kill the golem before its next turn. No such luck. However, this did have a fortunate side effect.

It is only a matter of time before your castle falls! Lay down your sword if you value your life.

Would you do the same were you the defender here? Or would honor prevent you as it does me? The Bakram will fight to the end!

Latimer, being an upstanding guy that he is, decides to heal the golem and to do this he moves to a more agreeable position.

In fact he is such a nice guy he uses Guardian Force. A skill that splits the damage his allies take with himself.

As demonstrated here.

The golem is also kind enough to show off the skill that temporarily boosts your Rampart Aura up one rank.

Well anyway our target has exposed himself, so you know what must be done.

A few attacks latter and it is done.

He really didn't live up to the hype.

Congratulations

Now let's see what's going on with Lanselot and crew.

It seems they're a little tied up at the moment :v:

Martym reaches into Balxephon's coat pocket. At least I hope it's his coat pocket.

Then pulls out some sort of Lightsaber. Actually it's that holy sword Brynhildr that they stole from the Xenobians.

Traitorous worm!

Ouch.

Is it not you who betray Lodis?

What?

You meant to use Brynhildr to break the seal, princess or no!

What is he talking about?

This sword holds the power of the gods. No mortal seal can stand against it. Yet you had us scouring the islands for a woman long dead and an uncharitable princess.

Lanselot does not respond.

You wanted Dorgalua's legacy for yourself!

The most elementary of evil plans.

One more for the road!

No need. When the Almoricans find you, they'll do it for me.

Martym out.

Are you all right, Balxephon? Andoras. How can you have any part in this?

I have no idea what he could be bitter about that.

Oh right! The whole killing all his family and making him fight for you, thing. Really, what were they thinking with that one? They should have just mocked him to death when they had the chance.

Still you cling to the Nildahme royal house?

It appears so.

Lanselot decides it's time to speak. It was nice of him to let Martym and Andoras have their moment.

Perhaps it was only a matter of time.

What do you mean?

And you lost both of them. That might be a problem for you. Unless there is a third key. And then why does this "door" have so many keys?

What?

For now, Valeria is best left to her people. It's only a question of who rules, and how. If nothing else, our sojourn here has taught me that. Can you move, Balxephon?

You thought I was joking when I said Lanselot let those two have their moment.

He and Belxephon could have easily over taken them and then fought their way out of the castle. However it is probably easier to sit back, wait for the right moment and take the back door out when no one is looking.

Comedy!

Next time: Denam meets his estranged uncle.

Warren Report

Latimer Grandier

Helmet 10 Warehouse fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 23, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I can't say I was expecting an update. Welcome back! And now it's time for everyone's favorite exercise:

Correct the misspellings!

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

This is one of those maps were the developers tried hard.

where

quote:

Over at Point 3 we have the rear end in a top hat archers and for some reason one out of place warlock. Way is he even here? He is to high up to ever contribute anything to this battle.

Why

too

quote:

That's because they actually have the Wade skill. I mean there is no reason to all of this. That bit of water in front of them didn't need to be there and even then they could have just easily have been place on the other side of it. But it's a nice little touch. Pointless but nice.

This one just reads really weirdly for a while so 'even then they could have just as easily been placed' would fix it.

quote:

Don't get me wrong are enemies can be jerks too.

our

quote:

At this point my computer exploded. Well to be honest it didn't exploded but that sound cooler then saying I was have power supply problems and it kept shutting off. I didn't notice this for a while and keep playing, so...

having

quote:

We now return to the battle. Already in progress.

No need for that period, it works as one sentence. We now return to the battle already in progress.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The reasons you don't write while on cold medicine.

Fixed and thanks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

After so much extreme politicking, I like Lancelot's complete disregard for local politics and just waltzing off to go find break the seal some other way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Fixed and thanks.

:shobon: Again, welcome back.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Warlock/Witch

"My elfin ears do hear... you're kinda low on wyrm gems. Could you pick some more up? ...Please?"

Race: Human, Ghost, Lamia
RT: 26 Move: 3 Jump: 2/3
Magic: Elemental*, Draconic
Missile, Indirect, nonlight utility, all Draconic
Weapons: The same generic daggers and hammers everyone gets, Cudgels, Spellbooks
Armor: Mage
Support: Fortify II, Spellcraft IV, Resistance IV, Truestrike III, Trueflight III, Spellstrike IV, Dodge III, Sidestep III, Spell Ward IV, Constitution III, Insight IV, Expand Mind IV, Channeling IV
Other: Absorb MP II, Reflect Damage II*
Special: Meditate*, Golem's Bane
Action: Control Golem, Empower Golem, Gordian Key

*use, but can't learn

Basically they're wizards with more options. They get the same access to elemental spells (though not the skills themselves, but you need to go get Meditate anyway soooooo) and on top of that they get golem gimmicks and the entire draconic library and spellbooks. And Spiritstrike and Judgment for some reason.

Spellbooks are really good, they give huge bonuses to INT and MND and they give +2 to Anatomy and its kin. Better than any staff until you get to elemental ones and Malitzas' Staves.

The golem stuff is weird but unlike Beast Masters, Witches get to be completely worthwhile units outside of their monster gimmick. Golems do include the rocky badasses that have been pissing us off recently, but also pumpkinheads, which gets really strange. But that's a lot of investment into this gimmick tbh. It does make exploding fun. I have no idea how Golem's Bane works but I assume it's like the beast/dragon ones i.e. not useful. Gordian Key is worthless though. Gordian Lock is really loving rare. I think you'd have to engineer situations to get hit with it.

Draconic Magic is very interesting for how obscure and rare it is. The Healcraft-granting spell is dropped 33 floors down the Palace of the Dead for gently caress's sake. It includes extremely powerful mobility spells Springboard and Teleport, Negate Spell and Nullify Strike which can save someone's rear end, revival at the cost of one's own life via Sacrifice, and the damage spells. These are expensive but powerful, and notably light-elemental Starfall can exorcise undead. All Draconic spells require Wyrm Gems, and though you can buy them you can only hold 99 at a time, which runs out quick when Starfall costs 3 gems a casting.

Witch and Lord are the only classes with full access to the Draconic spell list, which makes Witch an interesting proposition to be sure. None of the special magician jobs get the whole thing. But at the same time, it's a narrow and kinda limited niche, don't you think? It may be worth sticking with Wizard anyway, because even if they are outclassed you wouldn't have to re-level a class you've been using all along, you know?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Man, they sure nerfed Dragon magic, didn't they? :(

That being said, having one dragon magic user with starfall is definitely useful at times.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Clearly Martym didn't level up his Knot-Tying skill enough.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I never understood draconic magic in the PSP remake. It's tough as hell to get a hold of a lot of it, it costs multiples of one reagent you can only have 99 of at a time, only two classes get the full library of it (and the ones that get bits and pieces either have a LOT better options to cast or don't get enough worthwhile out of it to rationalize a skill slot for it) and Lords are probably better off sticking to light or dark magic for the utility. I guess starfall is kind of nice but by the time you get a hold of it heavenly judge isn't too far off and the same place you get draconic damage spells also offers summons. Sure looks pretty though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Going by the description I'm guessing Starfall is Starion?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Going by the description I'm guessing Starfall is Starion?

More less, yes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So that's it for Lanselot, huh? A little of the ol' "GG next map" and he's gone?

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 57: The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke

Well it has been awhile. Last time as you probably don't remember (and I don't blame you) we were making our way through Heim Castle. Why? You see it's getting close to the end of the game and there are not a lot of named characters left. So it is about time the game got everyone together in one place. Important things are going to happen in this update so I will give a nice long recap in the next update. Whenever that happens.

It has been about 4-5 months since we last stabbed someone, and all the people we want to kill have gathered in one room. It's really convenient.

Inside Barbas has been waiting for Martyn to get done repeatedly kicking torturing their former commanders.

Also remember Martym stole the plot sword, the legendary Brynhilder, from Balxephon. For some reason?

Andoras is here as well.

Brantyn finally gets out off his chair to remind the traitorous Dark Knights that the castle is currently being breached.

Then, to the Hanging Gardens, as discussed.

What do you mean? ...What are you planning!?

We're done taking orders from you!

I'm the regent! How dare you speak to me like that!

Pardon the interruption.

Bah, sooner than I expected!

Two of the Dark Knights immediately crystal out.

The Dark Knights...fleeing?

We've helped you as we said we would.

That is the classiest way I have ever heard some say that.

He leaves Brantyn alone.

No! Barbas!

Wait! I wanted to kill you, too!

Well...

I hope you have had a nice day. I will post the actual update in a couple days.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hydra

I don't know what this is. But if it's in, if it's in, good.

Race: prefers the term "realist"
RT: measured in stellar scales Move: on the Jump: Mario-esque
Magic: died that day in 1997 when I saw Chuck 'e' Cheese take off his head to reveal he was a just guy in a suit
Weapons: just these guns *flexes, biceps droop down like cartoon*
Armor: 17 days left on 60-day free trial
Support: stilts
Other: preferable
Action: claims to be ready for some
Special: we are all in our own way

Let's be serious here you aren't using a loving hydra. You are not going through the effort of kidnapping one, raising the class from level one, and fielding it. You can excuse it for an elemental dragon because those at least look cool but most assuredly not a loving hydra.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What a long con, not updating for four months to make an April Fool's day update! Bravo!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do appreciate the Dark Knights giving absolutely zero fucks about this whole struggle for territory that has apparently defined everybody else's life for the past however many years.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
You're a monster, Helmet 10 Warehouse. :negative:

Glazius posted:

I do appreciate the Dark Knights giving absolutely zero fucks about this whole struggle for territory that has apparently defined everybody else's life for the past however many years.
The coolest thing about this game is how believable they make this whole "two superpowers fighting a proxy war in the third world" thing. These specific Xenobians might give some fucks about Valeria's war, but Xenobia itself sure doesn't. They just want their magic sword back.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's Zenobia. Xenobia is the leader of the Vile Tribe in Lunar. :eng101:

I'm pretty sure Destin and a few others care or would if they weren't busy dealing with the events in Ogre Battle 64 which I believe is set at the same time (roughly).

It's a shame we're never going to get more Ogre Battle games.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's Zenobia. Xenobia is the leader of the Vile Tribe in Lunar. :eng101:
Originally yeah, but this remake changed the spelling, so I went with that.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Originally yeah, but this remake changed the spelling, so I went with that.

This remake is absurd with all the Xs that it uses. For people that played the original it's pretty weird.

Xapan the Berserker.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

FairGame posted:

Xapan the Berxerxer.

Brought to you by Sxuare-Enix

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

For real this time.

Update XX: The Xairy Xeller's Master-Stroke

Well it has been awhile. Last time as you probably don't remember (and I don't blame you) we were making our way through Heim Castle. Why? You see it's getting close to the end of the game and there are not a lot of named characters left. So it is about time the game got everyone together in one place. Important things are going to happen in this update so I will give a nice long recap in the next update. Whenever that happens.

It has been about 4-5 months since we last stabbed someone, and all the people we want to kill have gathered in one room. It's really convenient.

Inside, Barbas has been waiting for Martyn to get done repeatedly kicking torturing their former commanders.

Also remember Martyn stole the plot sword, the legendary Brynhilder, from Balxephon. For some reason?

Andoras is here as well.

Brantyn finally gets out off his chair to remind the traitorous Dark Knights that the castle is currently being breached.

Then, to the Hanging Gardens, as discussed.

What do you mean? ...What are you planning!?

We're done taking orders from you!

I'm the regent! How dare you speak to me like that!

Pardon the interruption.

Bah, sooner than I expected!

Two of the Dark Knights immediately crystal out.

The Dark Knights...fleeing?

We've helped you as we said we would.

That is the classiest way I have ever heard some say that.

He leaves Brantyn alone.

No! Barbas!

Wait! I wanted to kill you, too!

Well let's get right into it then.

The fight is as straight forward as it can get. The six terror knights and Brantyn are going to charge forward. The two archers will provide covering fire. While the two mages and clerics do their assigned magic thing. The other two (the ones to the far right and left of Brantyn) we will go over them in a moment.

As for us, we're just going do the usual. In case you don't remember what the usual is, it's having our melee units run forward and hoping they reach the enemy before the archers kill everyone.

We also brought the four Phoraena sisters and the two surviving members of the Bakram Resistance with us this time. It seems thematically appropriate.

Unfortunately, only Sherri and Denam have any words for Brantyn. Actually Catiua does too but as you know we kind messed up that whole situation.

After all I did for you, Sherri... how could you side against me? You will die a traitor!

I, a traitor? You turned on me long before I had the chance.

You still think highly of yourself, I see. A keen eye for fault in anyone but yourself. You abandoned your faith, abandoned the Bakram - it is a wonder the Resistance will even have you.

They trust me because I choose to trust. In my father, my sisters... myself. It is only the weak who cling to power.

You deceive yourself to think so. All men desire power. Few ever come to possess it. Those who do have a duty to use it justly.

Such arrogance... If only I had seen it sooner. I lost all I had for my error. I will not repeat it!

Kneel to me, and together we will rule Valeria!

It is you who should kneel, Brantyn. Throw down your sword and rein in your troops, and your life will be spared. Resist, and we will show no mercy!

But the Dark Knights have left! You saw them! It was they who brought this upon us, not I - Yes, I did their bidding... but I did it to save Valeria. When we lost King Dorgalua, we could no longer hold Lodis at bay - who could!? Had we fought to drive them back, they would have killed us all!

If the people are so dear to you, why did you not inform the king that his daughter was alive? All Valeria would have welcomed the news after the prince's passing... Look at me and tell me you did not seek to use her - as you used my father!

Yes, I sought to use her... and where is the wrong in that? I did what any lowborn man would do. When you lack a silver spoon, you fashion one of steel. You understand. You're like me. Where you carved out your destiny with a sword, I used my wits. But there's little difference, in the end. We both walk toward our future treading upon the backs of others. Deny it, and you only deceive yourself!

Brantyn's gang prepares for their attack.

Before they move let's take a look at those two new units. They're Fusiliers. They use guns and their dumb. Not the class, just these two in particular. The class itself suffers from being a ranged class in a game where the basic archer class reigns supreme. But they have a nice hat.

Our target is behind narrow stairway and six guys with rank 2 Rampart Aura. We're not getting up there anytime soon.

Brantyn gets the first hit in and of course he uses light magic. If Lanselot Tartaros, the evilest man from the evilest land, can use light magic anyone can. Also, ouch that hurt.

Let the usual begin.

Folcurt get's a kill.

The enemy grunts start their attacks.

You know, Folcurt is not doing too bad considering we almost never use him.

Terror knights make for terrible mages.

Like really bad. Except for ours. He's been pretty consistent at landing the status effects. Too bad he is not out here to show them how it is done.

Brantyn is kind of fast, his spells hit like a truck, he's hiding behind a bunch of terror knight, and he is immune to most status effects. But he is not immune to slow. So the plan is to slow him and the terror knights so they never get a turn.

Of course clerics can cure slow. However, the terror knights are still slowed.

Second terror knight goes down, thanks to Hobyrim.

Brantyn's turn is next and I wonder what he will do?

Kill Prowler. That's what he will do.

It's fine. It's not like we need one of our best characters.

We have people like Bayin... who I am actually surprised can survive a hit. I think I have made a mistake.

Oh well. Time to make the best of it. First, we get Prowler back on his feet.

Next, pump some HP into him. Olivya has a lobber equip so she can use items to heal people because cleric continues to be an underwhelming class.

Then, we make our counter attack.

Maybe Bayin will be useful after all.

Despite all that we are making very little progress. The terror knights our doing their job.

At least Arycelle is as solid as ever.

Brantyn drops Prowler again. He will get a turn one of these days. I hope.

The Fusiliers have been moving to the opposite end of the battlefield this entire time. I told you they kind of dumb.

Denam finally gets rid of a third terror knight. Putting a hole in the enemy line.

Allowing Folcurt to press forward and take off over half of Brantyn's HP with one swing (that hits twice) of his sword. The coach finally let Folcurt off the bench and he's got something to prove.

Prowler is back up. Maybe he will be able to get a turn this time.

Now it's time to get rid of the clerics so they don't undo Folcurt's hard work.

Well we tried. Also look a fusilier did something!

Folcurt might have made it through but the rest of our units are still stuck behind the ever weakening terror wall.

Only two left.

Brantyn is getting tired off constantly knocking down Prowler, so he decides to one-shot Olivya. Also something knocked over Bayin, but I'm ok with that. He's old, he needs his rest.

Hobyim and Prowler team up to kill the fifth terror knight. With that the wall is broken and there is nothing holding us back.

Folcurt blocks Brantyn's escape route.

One of the fusilier's tries to stop the inevitable, but it's no use.

Let the catharsis begin.

Denam does the deadly deed.

Farewell, Brantyn. You were a terrible uncle and a worse human being.

Congratulations

Oh, cleric leveled up. :rolleyes:

Sometime after Folcurt's MVP celebration we make our way to the war room.

I wonder who those empty chairs are for.

The Dark Knights are our enemy, not the Bakram who follow them. Dispatch a messenger. Inform them of our intent. If we treath them like rebels, we will only push them away.

It will be done, my lord.

We must do likewise with the Resistance, of course. If any of our men make protest or show disrespect to the Bakram, they will be punished.

Go on.

It's... no easy matter. I'm told there's been a good deal of rapine and plunder in the city.

What?

There is worse. Elders beaten, women... defiled.

So are soldiers are rear end in a top hat.

How will you deal with these, my lord?

I am not taking the time to put this up to a vote. gently caress those guys!

They will be punished as they deserve. Good?

Sir.

Today, we begin the long work of peace. We are no longer Walister or Bakram. We are Valerians.

That's it everyone! The war is over. You don't have to go home, if you still have a home, but you can't stay here.

We hereby swear an oath to serve, your loyal retainers unto death.

The Dark Knights have sought refuge in the Hanging Gardens. We travel there to rid ourselves of them for good and all. A great battle awaits us. But beyond it, peace! We must take up the sword once more. For Valeria!

For Valeria!

Next time: :smith:

Helmet 10 Warehouse fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 4, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Of course.
Nothing goes right for more than the span of one fight.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Of course.
Nothing goes right for more than the span of one fight.

Eh, not even that really. I mean we did just lead an army that raped plundered and pillaged its way through the castle and the game nicely reminded us of that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Brantyn: he's a pretty good villain.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You need a proofreader, man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Necromancer

"I know the Jason mask look is kinda ridiculous, but have you seen the face stocking the ladies use? Crazy."

Race: Human
RT: 22 Move: 3 Jump 1/2
Magic: Non-light elemental*, Necromancy
Weapons: generic daggers and Caldia, non-sacred cudgels
Support: Fortify II, Spellcraft IV, Resistance IV, Truestrike III, Trueflight III, Spellstrike IV, Dodge III, Sidestep III, Spell Ward IV, Constitution III, Insight IV, Expand Mind IV, Channeling IV
Other: Abosrb MP II, Reflect Damage II*
Special: Meditate*
Action: Animate Dead, Condemn, Consecrate Dead

*use, but can't learn*

Basically they're wizards with more options, again. They get the same access to nonlight spells and Meditate though they need to learn them from Wizard. They have a much better INT score than Wizard or Witch and a slightly lower RT of 22, which works with the low weight of wizard equipment to give them impressively tiny RT scores. They have the same equipment as wizards. Then they get their unique tricks.

They have a bunch of undead-related options via skills, including a way to still undead. They can revive allied undead at full HP, which is fun if you have one at the front so they never really break. Necromancy is the interesting thing here, and if you can actually put the pieces together it's interesting. You can zombify generics to make about anything an undead, not just skeletons/ghosts. They have another undead-stilling spell, a few extremely rare statuses including Bewitched off of Tainted Love, the ability to drain HP and recover MP, an AoE damage spell that damages living units and heals undead, and the ability to gtfo. Unfortunately summoning entire undead like Nybeth did is enemy-only. Those spells are really obscure, with a lot only for sale in the Palace of the Dead. They require reagents, which has the same sustainability question as Draconic magic, but thankfully they use a variety of reagents rather than just one for all their spells.

Another problem is the class's obscurity itself. You can recruit one in a late chapter II Law battle who is lacking the spells to really stand out or Meditate to keep up with your mages who actually have it, or snag Cressida. Cressida at least comes with some classmarks so you can get a nondark magic type so she can do anything to undead and Meditate so she's on par with the rest. The rest of your classmarks come form one necromancer in one floor of the PotD occasionally, so basically gently caress you.

Life Force (that HP-to-MP spell) and extra undead stilling are great. Base 22 RT and high INT (barely behind Liches and Matriarchs) are great. But there's a lot of hoops to jump through to get there, and if there's a lot of enemy zombies they're little more than wizards who can still undead. It may not be worth the work.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm not sure I've actually ever used necromancy to do... anything

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Necromancer

"I know the Jason mask look is kinda ridiculous, but have you seen the face stocking the ladies use? Crazy."

Race: Human
RT: 22 Move: 3 Jump 1/2
Magic: Non-light elemental*, Necromancy
Weapons: generic daggers and Caldia, non-sacred cudgels
Other: Abosrb MP II, Reflect Damage II*
Special: Meditate*
Action: Animate Dead, Condemn, Consecrate Dead

*use, but can't learn*

Basically they're wizards with more options, again. They get the same access to nonlight spells and Meditate though they need to learn them from Wizard. They have a much better INT score than Wizard or Witch and a slightly lower RT of 22, which works with the low weight of wizard equipment to give them impressively tiny RT scores. They have the same equipment as wizards. Then they get their unique tricks.

They have a bunch of undead-related options via skills, including a way to still undead. They can revive allied undead at full HP, which is fun if you have one at the front so they never really break. Necromancy is the interesting thing here, and if you can actually put the pieces together it's interesting. You can zombify generics to make about anything an undead, not just skeletons/ghosts. They have another undead-stilling spell, a few extremely rare statuses including Bewitched off of Tainted Love, the ability to drain HP and recover MP, an AoE damage spell that damages living units and heals undead, and the ability to gtfo. Unfortunately summoning entire undead like Nybeth did is enemy-only. Those spells are really obscure, with a lot only for sale in the Palace of the Dead. They require reagents, which has the same sustainability question as Draconic magic, but thankfully they use a variety of reagents rather than just one for all their spells.

Another problem is the class's obscurity itself. You can recruit one in a late chapter II Law battle who is lacking the spells to really stand out or Meditate to keep up with your mages who actually have it, or snag Cressida. Cressida at least comes with some classmarks so you can get a nondark magic type so she can do anything to undead and Meditate so she's on par with the rest. The rest of your classmarks come form one necromancer in one floor of the PotD occasionally, so basically gently caress you.

Life Force (that HP-to-MP spell) and extra undead stilling are great. Base 22 RT and high INT (barely behind Liches and Matriarchs) are great. But there's a lot of hoops to jump through to get there, and if there's a lot of enemy zombies they're little more than wizards who can still undead. It may not be worth the work.

Do you get more classmarks if you farm Cressida's recruitment? Even though it's miserable to do, it's still better than having to have Cressida alive and then going 17/18 floors into the PoTD to then try to farm necromancer marks.

Hydra

I don't know what this is. But if it's in, if it's in, good.

Race: prefers the term "realist"
RT: measured in stellar scales Move: on the Jump: Mario-esque
Magic: died that day in 1997 when I saw Chuck 'e' Cheese take off his head to reveal he was a just guy in a suit
Weapons: just these guns *flexes, biceps droop down like cartoon*
Armor: 17 days left on 60-day free trial
Support: stilts
Other: preferable
Action: claims to be ready for some
Special: we are all in our own way

Let's be serious here you aren't using a loving hydra. You are not going through the effort of kidnapping one, raising the class from level one, and fielding it. You can excuse it for an elemental dragon because those at least look cool but most assuredly not a loving hydra.

Excuse me Mr. Silvanus would like a word with you. :colbert:

Sadly folks, OFS is right. The hydra is really lackluster. The catch here is that elemental dragons are better in everyway.

Steps to win with elemental dragons:
Step 1: Capture an elemental dragon (or two) and use it until you need to train up a new class.
Step 2: Change the dragon to a new elemental class to train again.
Step 3: Watch as your dragon's abilities effin sky rocket.

You get a small but permanent stat bonus to your base abilities everytime a character or unit levels up. Thus if you take a dragon and let him hang around everytime you need to catch a class or two up to 20, you are looking at roughly +14 points to each base stat. Granted you are looking at a bit of grinding but when you get Cressida and you think "ffff don't wanna level her!" Add a dragon or two into the mix to help her out. You get to keep and apply skills like strengthen III and Truestrike III (always keep Truestrike on your beasts) even when you change classes to the new element, provided you already paid for the skill on the higher level class. Thus you get dragons beastin on level 3 dudes because dragons will have a very low WT due to having no armor.

In reality, the only type of dragon that you will want to keep as your main element is a Flood Dragon because they get free movement throughout water, and water is a very common obstacle. Fire dragons can lava walk, but how many maps have we seem so far with lava?

But yeah, Hydras are only useful if you have an irrational love for suboptimal units. I also have a Cocatrice

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

waah posted:

Do you get more classmarks if you farm Cressida's recruitment? Even though it's miserable to do, it's still better than having to have Cressida alive and then going 17/18 floors into the PoTD to then try to farm necromancer marks.

I don't know, 3 is enough for whatever you're planning since Necromancers only need one short jaunt to Wizard to get their actual spell skills and Meditate since they get everything else themselves, and Cressida's recruitment battle is incredibly rough.

You can kill 'n' run from the battle with the Necromancer that actually drops marks, unless you want the title for never running or using Chariot but still want PoTD drops (loving utter madness).

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I thought that guy wouldn't drop the classmark unless you already had Cressida. I suppose that may be Random GameFaqs Bullshit, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, we've got an offscreen atrocity-committing army? We've been the spearhead of every assault thus far for... for what? For funsies?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Wonderslug posted:

I thought that guy wouldn't drop the classmark unless you already had Cressida. I suppose that may be Random GameFaqs Bullshit, though.

Yes. He only will drop the classmark if Cressida is alive in the Warren Report. Thus if you beat the game and warp around, if your save file has Cressida dead, no necroprentence marks for you.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

I don't know, 3 is enough for whatever you're planning since Necromancers only need one short jaunt to Wizard to get their actual spell skills and Meditate since they get everything else themselves, and Cressida's recruitment battle is incredibly rough.
Cressida's recruitment battle is less difficult and more holy poo poo join me already loving hell how many people need to go on the death march for your bloodthirst to be sated

Given that I am bad at keeping track of the numbers, I ended up doing the battle a dumb number of times before getting her to actually join.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got her the second time, after hours of sacrificing my own troops.

Now my generic Mage that I've been carrying since the start of the game is a one-man nuking machine and Cressida herself is only slightly less powerful. When I finally get around to finishing my third playthrough and doing the Palace of the Dead, he's going to become one of the most powerful Liches ever! Mwahaha!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hobyrim will never not be the most powerful character.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Neurion posted:

Hobyrim will never not be the most powerful character.

:allears: Hobyrim is pretty darn dreamy.

About Cressida and the death march, unless you are just hell bent on getting her in your first time through, I never understood why people prefer the death march instead of playing through the story again to recruit other characters or to just relevel your characters.

I've legit recruited Cressida 3 times (because I am an absurd that's why), and I have never used the death march There are enough storyline options to get your chaos frame high enough where as long as you don't go out of your way to slaughter Galgastani, you should never have a problem recruiting her.

Some of those options are tough to do though, see certain notoriously difficult Chapter 4 sidequest to find the pirates treasure .

Usually the choice Helmet10 just made about looting and pillaging will be the last story line decision you need to make to get high enough.

Iirc, you need to answer/do the following to get your score high enough, I'm going off memory so correct me if needed.

The choice from the aforementioned spoiler
The choice for the shrine sidequest
The choice to pillage or not to pillage
If you show up to the chapter 4 fight unarmed

I think all of those options result in roughly 25-30 points of favor wirh Galgastan without having to death march.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad this LP is still trucking along and I'll continue to dream that the game eventually gets ported to Steam as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RareAcumen posted:

I'm glad this LP is still trucking along and I'll continue to dream that the game eventually gets ported to Steam as well.

If it gets on Steam then modding its incredible array of tedious mechanics would be trivial.

I'm all for this.

• Locked thread