Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
A Star Citizen was unfortunately prevented from spreading the word to their friends:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ttw5n/fck_the_quantity_limited_packages/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

comatose posted:

Do pilots talk to each other differently compared to normal people?

Also why do these true believers think the mission system is incredible? Its just like, fly to this place and kill 10 bad dudes then fly back (or the game crashes). Or fly to this station and fix their space toilets.

Are you a bad enough space dude to fix their toilets?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc0S3JpMAHQ

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3tshs3/ok_im_calling_it_i_think_this_is_the_greatest/

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mirificus posted:

A Star Citizen was unfortunately prevented from spreading the word to their friends:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ttw5n/fck_the_quantity_limited_packages/

later in the thread:

quote:

I am not raging. Perhaps it comes off like that because of the strong language/word. If people in this comment string actually bothered to read my whole post, they would know that I was trying to get 5 packages for my friends, which means I can save 75 dollars! I am 4k almost 5k in, so it's not just about the money, but also the principle here.

hahahaha this is the type of dude who will have a complete breakdown if the game isn't completely P2W.

Toysrme
Nov 22, 2015

jaffyjaffy posted:

Anyone remember how long it took from the "are you sure you want a refund and full account closure blah blah blah" e -mail to actually getting your money back? I'm trying to figure out if I should set money aside for E:D now and buy it when Horizons launches, or just wait it out for the refund proper before I throw money at Braben.
I've known quite a few over the years that have for various reasons. A few because they lost interest in the project. Most because they needed the money elsewhere in their lives.

Before Derek; it normally took a few days to two weeks, entirely based upon how busy customer service was.(Understandable). You did not need a "sob story". Just the truth of why you wanted a refund.
After Derek... Now you are all but ignored unless you have "a really good sob story", and it takes weeks to months to have an electronic refund issued. At the point CIG agrees to a full refund (*If* they even do, and note a distunction between a partial refund and a full refund). They will terminate your account, mark the CS issue as closed/resolved & cease responding to any further emails. Regardless of how long they take to get that instant electronic refund issued.

CIG's lock-down of funds is understandable for a business position. You shouldn't let the company vanish into thin air... On the other hand, when people genuinely do not believe in an un-delivered product, do not believe they will be happy with it, or simply need the money... Their money should not be held hostage "unless they have a sob story", "unless they threaten" or "become a complete rear end in a top hat to all the white knight whales CIG doesn't listen too".
CIG should should allow people to leave as long as the company is not in imminent danger of collapse (panic rush, which itself is completely silly logic on their part... While an embarrassing situation, at this point they could get outside funding if they needed it...)
They should also treat people with the same energy & vigor going out as they do going in. Not curb-toss them.

More people would leave, but more people would return if shown simple courtesy.

Most everyone I know that have left, or wanted to leave. Also is open to buying back into CIG at a later date (situations for leaving resolved). At the same time... The reports of how they handle things "post Derek" and "post SC-TOS change / before original date" is not indicative of people leaving and returning later.

The entire "refund" policy needs to be looked into and evaluated...

Toysrme fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 23, 2015

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

They must have been watching a different video to me.

The ironsites are so retarded. I can't help laughing every time I see the reticule wiggling around when you strafe.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

hahahaha this is the type of dude who will have a complete breakdown if the game isn't completely P2W.
Yep, and the breakdown will almost certainly include, "it's not just about the money, but also the principle"

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Lol, he's really trying hard to get onto CIG payroll.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

They do realise that they could play D&D or Gurps or some other P&P RPG game and have all that, immediately, at a fraction of the cost, right?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tonight's PTU tests: my self-imposed mission, to spawn a retaliator and fly it to another station, get out, and walk around.

Attempt 1: Logged into hangar, sat in retaliator cockpit- all functionality disabled, couldn't get out of seat. Exited game.

Attempts 2-5: Variations on "Login not authenticated!" or "Connection failed!" or "Server full!"

Attempt 6: Logged into hangar, got the Port Olisar ptu running, joined a bunch of people pulling up ships. Attempted to pull up retaliator- got an error message saying pad was full. All functionality disabled, couldn't leave the screen. Exited game.

Attempt 7: Logged into hangar, got the Port Olisar ptu running, got a retaliator spawned. Ran out and decided to look at Engineering section. Immediately got stuck on the first console I tried- no way to "Close" it. The shield sliders did work though, that was nice. Some rando grabbed the pilot seat and flew it into a combat zone. At least I assume that's what happened because it started flying while I was stuck there, and target markers started appearing on my HUD. Game was taking enormous performance hits too- pausing for 4-5 seconds every 30 or so. Exited game.

Attempt 8 - 11: Connection failed! Server Full! Time out! Time out!

Attempt 12: Got retaliator spawned, went to get in it- fell through the floor. Tried several more times- the ship was basically a ghost. Saw another retaliator flying nearby, so I flew over to try and board it. Zero-G movement is super unwieldy but I kind of like the awkwardness of it. Managed to get the hatch on the top of the ship open but could not get inside. Tried several times and then the game crashed.

Attempt 13: Couldn't spawn anything because two Constellations were hovering above the landing pad. Space-walked up to one of them, game crashed.

Attempt 14: Got it spawned, fell through the floor again. Was going to try flying through the top but the game hard crashed.

Other bugs noticed: tons of lighting and graphical glitches.
  • The head bob is unbelievably garbage. Just turning your mouse to move your view causes the whole loving camera to bob around as your character shifts his feet. Of all the bugs I encountered this was by far the least forgivable. It makes the game feel just awful in first person.
  • Asteroid hangar has some weird gamma bug where it appears normal after I log in, and then over about 10 seconds it lightens until everything is washed out.
  • The elevator would occasionally open up with bright red lighting for no discernible reason.
  • Lots of items popping in as I traveled closer to them.
  • The error dialog boxes tended to freeze all the menus except for time out, which allowed me to interact with the menus behind it. It then stayed on the screen when I loaded back into the asteroid hangar. None of the error boxes would actually clear if you hit "Ok."
  • The spinning rings on the station were very visibly twitching back and forth, some kind of glitched animation.
  • Ships consistently flew around with landing gear in the wrong position and engines folded up, that sort of thing.
  • By attempt 12 or so, all of the attempts were plagued with the "Show 10 seconds of game, pause for 5 seconds" issue, which made it more or less impossible to do anything.

Summary: To call it "Unplayable" would be... generous. As a software developer I'm truly shocked that they would let anyone outside of internal testers see it in this state- but I realize that the demands of their bosses aren't exactly grounded in reality. Nothing I saw was truly unfixable though, and there are little glimmers of an amazing game peeking through here and there- EVA'ing to other people's ships was an incredible feeling, as was just standing in the docking bay lounge and watching people and ships interact. But in the current state it's really not stable enough to even evaluate whether or not the mechanics are interesting- mostly it's just an exercise in learning what not to touch to avoid crashing.

I would put these errors in the "Issue Council" except CIG did not send me a password to log into the ptu site when they sent me the PTU invitation. Guess they didn't want the feedback that much.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 23, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Thank you for this.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Actually on second thought, the only way this is tempting to me, is if another goon buddy and I can

1) get this tech demo running stably enough whereupon
2) we steal ships that other people spawn and fly them into the sun, and then kill ourselves or something.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

OWLS! posted:

Actually on second thought, the only way this is tempting to me, is if another goon buddy and I can

1) get this tech demo running stably enough whereupon
2) we steal ships that other people spawn and fly them into the sun, and then kill ourselves or something.

There is currently absolutely nothing stopping you from grabbing every single ship off the landing pad. They will ultimately fix that of course, at which point there will be nothing stopping you from filling the landing pads with 10 locked ships.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
This game has so much potential as a F2P.

Just think about it, you don't need a ship to play the game and ships are always available to you on the store, via mobiglass.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Y'all missed the best part of this post:

some redditor posted:

I'm a fan of this game because I'm anticipating

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

no_recall posted:

This game has so much potential as a F2P.

Just think about it, you don't need a ship to play the game and ships are always available to you on the store, via mobiglass.

Not a bad business model- make everything earnable in game but let people download and play it without paying but without a ship. Let people grind doing menial crew work or just let them purchase ships for cash.

A lot of people say the head bob can't be fixed because of synced animations or whatever, but that's bullshit. You can sync the animations but just have the first person view render a body with its head/neck cut off and have the camera float around. No need to parent the camera to the player's eyes. It's what every other game with a first person body does, and even if the animations didn't sync exactly, so what? As it is now it's so nauseating it's unplayable.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Justin Tyme posted:

even if the animations didn't sync exactly, so what?

I wonder how many people at CIG have been let go for asking Chris Roberts exactly this.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

RuckusRouser posted:

Matticus the streamer: "I am really hyped for Squadron 42. Chris Roberts has made a movie before, I've watched it and I really liked it."

http://www.twitch.tv/matticusgames

Whoever likes the 'Wing Commander' movie legitimately has poo poo taste in everything and is probably a retarded human being. Alternatively, he likes sucking on the cock of CRoberts for money and influence. More than likely the latter since I can't honestly believe anyone legit likes that movie.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Justin Tyme posted:

A lot of people say the head bob can't be fixed because of synced animations or whatever, but that's bullshit. You can sync the animations but just have the first person view render a body with its head/neck cut off and have the camera float around. No need to parent the camera to the player's eyes. It's what every other game with a first person body does, and even if the animations didn't sync exactly, so what? As it is now it's so nauseating it's unplayable.

The head bob can't be fixed because it's a dictate from Croberts. But it is absolutely retarded and anyone who spends more than a couple minutes playing can see that.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

later in the thread:

Well, to be fair, 4k IS a lot of principle...

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

where is our Freddie Prinze Jr mocap?????

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
fixing headbob would cause unnecessary database schmeg

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

randomcommoner posted:

Can't wait for the 10 hours of unskippable cutscenes from master cinematographer chris ropperts. I'm sure the story will be gripping. Wish you could pledge for extra cutscenes.

You may get your wish. (No you won't.) The 10 hours they have done Squad 42 is supposed to be chapter one, with 2 or 3 more to come afterwards if the game is successful. Chris's complete vision is much to grand to fit into a mere 10 hours of cutscenes.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

who the hell designed the cockpits in the ships? It's like every single one of them is designed to obscure as much as possible around you. on second thought maybe that was on purpose

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fain80 posted:

If the game does end out coming out and is decent, will you guys be playing?

If Squadron 42 comes out and is good I'll probably pick it up on a steam sale when it dips under $20. I've got like 50 games in my steam backlog now, no reason not to throw another one on the pile.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How Can Headbob Be Real If Our Heads Aren't Real

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

This is so hyperbolic and over the top that I'd think it was sarcasm if I hadn't spent the last few months getting a good hard look at the madness of Star Citizen backers. There's a lot of promise to it- I really like what they've done with the interactive HUDs in the ships, and I'm stoked for the eventual multi-crew if things actually function long enough to try it. I even like the more sim-like weighty feeling to the character. But it is, at best, a tech demo and it is so severely broken that it's pretty obvious the only reason they put it out the door at all is to boost their sales numbers. The bugs are enormous, and game breaking, and not the kind of thing you need more than a handful of testers to spot- but for some reason they rolled it out to 15k people including myself, which makes me think they were probably just targeting by total spent and not by any sort of feedback.

Anyone looking at this and calling it a watershed moment in the history of gaming is either deliberately lying, or delusional. I feel like the trufans have waited so long for anything, any release at all in the last year and a half, that they are just immediately leaping on this as validation of all of the promises made in that time. The fact that it is a glitchy mess and the underlying mechanics seem to be thought out poorly to not-at-all doesn't seem to phase them. This is the time period in which the persistent universe was supposed to actually be entering beta if I recall Chris' promises at CitCon 2014 correctly- at the moment based on this demo, I'd say it'll take another 6 months just to get all of this functioning properly, let alone any additional mechanics. The game is probably still years away.

It's a goddamn shame. I want to like the game, and at my deepest I was over a thousand bucks invested. The temptation still remains to buy into the great-game narrative, pick up a bunch of ships and get hyped to go sailing around with friends. But after three years the reality of this release simply doesn't support it. I worry they're going to fix the bugs in this build- and then, like Arena Commander, basically forget it except for the occasional ship release.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Decrepus posted:

How Can Headbob Be Real If Our Heads Aren't Real

Cause there are no bobbleheads in this game

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Been playing 2.0 quite a bit and it really is quite something when it's not crashing at this rate, which I suspect will be fixed in a week or two, I think it's a really solid foundation for all the "core mechanics". Only thing I'm still skeptical about are the economic systems, if they get that right, I can say they have an extremely solid foundation for the rest of the game.

Looks amazing on a 4K monitor too.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Been playing 2.0 quite a bit and it really is quite something when it's not crashing at this rate, which I suspect will be fixed in a week or two, I think it's a really solid foundation for all the "core mechanics". Only thing I'm still skeptical about are the economic systems, if they get that right, I can say they have an extremely solid foundation for the rest of the game.

I'll agree with you that this game could very well be amazing, if they showed this to us 2 years ago. We're 4 years in, and all they have is an incomplete vertical slice.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

which I suspect will be fixed in a week or two

my guess is two

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

no_recall posted:

I'll agree with you that this game could very well be amazing, if they showed this to us 2 years ago. We're 4 years in, and all they have is an incomplete vertical slice.

I'm sure they could have, if they were working with a custom engine that was made specifically for Star Citizen. Their version of CryEngine is doing things that no other engine is capable of doing technologically and I gotta sympathize with that as someone who is working with an engine that isn't compatible with some of the stuff I've been doing, so I'll give them a pass. Suspecting a 2016 beta (without wipes) and a 2017 launch though.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Do we know when we're going to see the economic systems? Because that's really what I'm interested in, and most worried about. Since all the major "cornerstones" of gameplay are implemented, the economy is their biggest chance of loving up really, really bad.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 23, 2015

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Do we know when we're going to see the economic systems? Because that's really what I'm interested in, and most worried about.

Considering how much they've gotten done so far I can't see it being more than 2 weeks away

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Stealth Like posted:

who the hell designed the cockpits in the ships? It's like every single one of them is designed to obscure as much as possible around you. on second thought maybe that was on purpose
There is nothing simple, nothing elegant, in the Star Citizen universe. Everything is so painfully overcomplicated.

This is the elegant cockpit of Elite's Imperial Clipper. Nothing to obscure your approach to the pilot or co-pilot's chairs, a view largely unobscured by unnecessary clutter (physical or digitally overlaid.)

This is a convoluted bloody mess from CIG. You have to sit backwards and be spun around every bloody time you want to fly the drat thing-- and there's no shortage of visual crap between you and your view of the Universe, lest you somehow forget you're in a big drat poorly designed Cyber Winnebago.

I swear if Chris Roberts were designing a car, he'd do away with circular wheels and replace them with dodecagons and come up with some rationale for why it's better for a vehicle NOT to roll smoothly over a surface, not when it can do a dozen microbumps per rotation.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 23, 2015

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sarsapariller posted:

The head bob can't be fixed because it's a dictate from Croberts. But it is absolutely retarded and anyone who spends more than a couple minutes playing can see that.

Should have made Star Chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPlkFPowCc

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

not when it can do a dozen microbumps per rotation.

Fidelity, I swear.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Stealth Like posted:

Friend it sounds like you need to get pumped up about immersion.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dusty Lens posted:

Friend it sounds like you need to get pumped up about immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

I'm willing to risk looking foolish by saying that there's no way they're going to fix these issues within two weeks, or even a month. I have no background in programming or game design of course so hey big ol' grains of salt incoming, but it just looks like they have so many things going wrong at this point it's impossible for me to accept they could easily iron out 100 different reasons the game crashes, shoots its pilot out of the spaceship, locks them in place etc.

• Locked thread