Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

are you me?

aBagorn posted:

Maybe?

(In related content where's the Broadway thread (is there one?) so we can discuss how amazing Hamilton is)

Are you both me?! I've been vocal about my love of Emotion in this thread and I actually started a thread over in PYF just to talk about Hamilton.

It is billed as a hiphop musical but I think the Hamilton soundtrack has a lot of pop elements that would make it a treat for some posters in this thread as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Something which I believe is pretty unusual nowadays happened in the British music charts this week - the new Elvis Presley album (some of his hits re-recorded with new backing from the Royal Philharmonic) stayed at number one... and increased its sales. That doesn't often happen these days, does it? I believe people were saying it was going to be between the new Little Mix and Ellie Goulding albums, which are at two and three, respectively.

The British pop charts are loving weird. The number-one single of 1972 was Amazing Grace as played by the British Army bagpipe corps.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Are weird charity tracks and christmas novelties and stuff not a thing other countries have?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

bowser posted:

Are you both me?! I've been vocal about my love of Emotion in this thread and I actually started a thread over in PYF just to talk about Hamilton.

It is billed as a hiphop musical but I think the Hamilton soundtrack has a lot of pop elements that would make it a treat for some posters in this thread as well.

Thanks for the link, I am going to be posting SO HARD in there (big Musical dude here).

For thread context (though I will agree that Hamilton is a really good pop album, as well as a really good hip hop album, AND a really good musical album), I'll have to agree with some of the recent posters in that EMOTION is overall a better album than Purpose. The Biebs undoubtedly has the better singles, but the rest of the album is just OK. Reminds me a lot of 1989 in that way.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ninjahedgehog posted:

The British pop charts are loving weird. The number-one single of 1972 was Amazing Grace as played by the British Army bagpipe corps.

This song was once the #2 hit single in Britain

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

It's because it's a much smaller market - traditionally, a song has to have very broad appeal to succeed in America because the audience is so much larger. That's changed thanks to YouTube, Spotify, iTunes and so on, and probably general trends relating to globalisation as well, and in the past five years or so it's started to have occasional impacts on the Billboard charts since they changed their formula to incorporate streaming, which particularly benefits songs which are popularly parodied (cf. "Gangnam Style", "Harlem Shuffle", "The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)", to some extent "Call Me Maybe" in the sense that it was so widely parodied and homaged).

There were novelty hits in America in the past ("Convoy", "Disco Duck" etc.) but those were piggybacking on broader trends or fads. I suppose a comparison with the British habit of sending popular ringtones and children's TV theme tunes up to top of the charts would be if "The Super Bowl Shuffle" or "The WrestleRock Rumble" had been massive multi-week number-one hits in the mid-1980s.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Say what you will about the British pop charts being really weird, they allowed the superior a-ha song to get to #1 (Sun Always Shines On TV, duh). I'm OK with Take On Me, but it's been affected by the years of overplay. See also: Dexy's Midnight Runners and Come On Eileen.

However, if you want to talk about weird charts, take a gander at the New Zealand charts. Did either the UK or the USA allow Joy Division to get to #1? I think not, although both NZ and the UK allowed a Killing Joke song (Love Like Blood) into the top 10 / 20 (respectively).

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

That song is legitimately good

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Christmas will officially begin with this Wham! cover on Friday.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Great, one of the worst Christmas songs of the past 30 years.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Mischalaniouse posted:

Great, one of the worst Christmas songs of the past 30 years.

I feel like Last Christmas is covered way more than it has any right to be.

Come on pop artists, give me some Wonderful Christmastime or something!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

aBagorn posted:

Come on pop artists, give me some Wonderful Christmastime or something!

:getin: I would love this. I agree, too many artists cover this. Jimmy Eat World's is probably my favorite in this trash heap of poo poo.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) would've been a much better choice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only Christmas single we'll ever need. :v:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

GIVE IT TO ME ADELE BABY GIVE IT TO ME

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

7 MINUTES LETS GOOOOO

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Listening to the new Adele

Stand out tracks so far-

I Miss You- GODDAMN. That intro is everything.
When We Were Young - Amazing.
River Lea - seems like the albums "Set fire to the rain"

Edit: No but seriously. I Miss You is FANTASTIC. :sbahj: I hope its a single and we get an amazing video. Deserves an era.

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 20, 2015

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

My brain started flowing into Royals during Send My Love and now I can't unhear it.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Big Dick Bieber just burned down the AMAs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) would've been a much better choice.

Well, considering it's the only good christmas song in existence...yeah.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well, considering it's the only good christmas song in existence...yeah.

Christmas Wrapping would like a word with you.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

We don't really discuss sales in this thread, but it's a pretty huge occasion when Adele breaks N Syncs record of 2.3 million copies of an album sold in a week (US sales)

It's even crazier that she broke the record in THREE DAYS. In this day and age where sales are in the pits, she effortlessly annihilates the record. Good god.

Congrats.

As far as the album itself, I've been listening to it nonstop but it's not really grabbing me. Aside from hello, I miss you, and all I ask everything seems like filler to me. It has a very "this has been done before and better (by her even)" vibe to it.

It's not bad by any means, but I don't think it will leave a mark in pop history (aside from sales), the tracks are pretty forgettable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

She crossed over into adult contemporary a long time ago, took a seat next to Celine Dion and Ben Folds.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

somnambulist posted:

It's even crazier that she broke the record in THREE DAYS. In this day and age where sales are in the pits, she effortlessly annihilates the record. Good god.

It'll probably break the record for biggest second-week drop, too. :v:

(Who has that at the minute? I think for a number-one album it's either Lady Gaga with Born This Way or Madonna with MDNA in terms of percentage drop in sales, though in terms of chart position it's an Incubus album or something.)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Wheat Loaf posted:

It'll probably break the record for biggest second-week drop, too. :v:

(Who has that at the minute? I think for a number-one album it's either Lady Gaga with Born This Way or Madonna with MDNA in terms of percentage drop in sales, though in terms of chart position it's an Incubus album or something.)

I.....dunno honestly. She's going into Black Friday, everyone and their mom (quite literally) will be snagging the album. I wouldn't doubt for a second if she sells 1M+ second week.

The "record" for biggest second week drop is MDNA I believe.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Adele is boring and rolling in the deep was her only good song. ty and god bless

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Adele is boring and rolling in the deep was her only good song. ty and god bless
She's got an outstanding voice, but yeah, a lot of songs she lends her voice to are boring as poo poo, including the majority of her new album.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Someone Like You was her best song you crazy bastard

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

somnambulist posted:

We don't really discuss sales in this thread, but it's a pretty huge occasion when Adele breaks N Syncs record of 2.3 million copies of an album sold in a week (US sales)

This is what happens when you don't allow any streaming of your album. Expect more artists to follow suit with Spotify/Apple Music/whatever getting albums weeks to months after release

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this is still the only interesting adele song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjiswvTXdzA

I remember hearing this back when I listened to Radio 1 pretty often, before the original had really broken in America, and nothing else has lived up to it :( Jamie XX should produce or remix more pop stars with a good voice but boring songwriting

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08DjMT-qR9g

This is still, by far, my favorite Adele song.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm sure I've posted it in the drum & bass thread before, but this is one of my favorite Adele songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqR3J2B09DE

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

Stalins Moustache posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08DjMT-qR9g

This is still, by far, my favorite Adele song.

You know, I was going to say that Adele sux, but I didn't realize that she did this.

She's still super boring.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as white British women singing soul music go (Julie Driscoll and Amy Winehouse being at the top), I'd rank Adele maybe above Lisa Stansfield but below Alison Moyet. :D

CORGI ORGY
Feb 26, 2007

I too have a favorite Adele song.

Also yeah 25 is pretty boring but I don't think anyone had high expectations for it, especially after "Hello" was released and it was quickly relegated to song-meme territory next to "Hotline Bling."

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Hotline bling owns sorry retard

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

this is still the only interesting adele song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjiswvTXdzA

I remember hearing this back when I listened to Radio 1 pretty often, before the original had really broken in America, and nothing else has lived up to it :( Jamie XX should produce or remix more pop stars with a good voice but boring songwriting

Gotta say...it all sounds like leftover weird unaffiliated poo poo mashed together on an ipad. He literally lifted the clap rhythm off the Gil Scott Heron album.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I think set fire to the rain is my favorite Adele song. It is so damned catchy and fun to belt out in the car when no one is looking :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

4 RING SHRIMP posted: