Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Okay, so what are those glimmers of fun? Can I see them in a video? I am not a space person, so maybe I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

quote:

Star Citizen has finally won me over posted:
I've been a heavy critic of this game for a long time. I called it everything from a scam to a waste of time, and the word "vaporware" was common in my vocabulary. After looking at this PTU footage, though, it finally clicked - it isn't too good to be real, it is real. It isn't out, of course, so there's still room to be wary, but my blind hate has turned into hype.
:psyduck:

Not the warm welcome he was expecting I'd bet.

quote:

You were just intellectually dishonest. I'm glad you can see the forest for the trees but its pretty inexcusable to have a "blind hatred" for something with no real evidence or reason to. I want to tell you to gently caress off, you dont get to suddenly have an epiphany without consequence, but whatever. Admit you were a short sighted gently caress head and I'll welcome you, sorry if that's not the warm welcome you wanted. poo poo heads like you destroy lots of good potential ideas in the world, not just a stupid video game, so its more about your poo poo rear end attitude or righteous "knowing" about something without evidence. gently caress people like you. Sorry.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Orions Lord posted:

So I am 3500 post behind surely the game is out now?

two weeks.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Paladinus posted:

Okay, so what are those glimmers of fun? Can I see them in a video? I am not a space person, so maybe I'm missing something.

the glimemrs of fun are the parts where i tune in for a couple of minutes to a few minutes and chuckle at the mental hoops they jump through to justify their dumb decision to fund Christo Roberto's coke/movie director career and Sandi's actress dreams.

nothing i have seen indicates there has been 4 mocap studios worth of work

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 23, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Deep down we know CR wants to build a game. But Money ruins everything

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Is that really such a bad thing though?

The issue with no dates is there's no known plan now, so you can't tell if everything is going well or loving up as usual. There's the other problem too.

Say they fix 2.0 so it's not quite as bad and people can actually stay connected without crashing. Players will soon discover all the content, they could even hide some of it in the middle of nowhere and someone will still find it in a week. Everything they've put in is going to have players crawling all over it and under it.

So the next demand is going to be for normal type of stuff you see in an actual game, NPCs, upgrading equipment, the ability to earn space credits and some form of advancement in ships or FPS gear. That's all going to be buggy to start with and require a lot of development effort to fix. But Star Citizen isn't a normal game, as soon as they add the ability to earn credits people are going to stop buying ships and earn them instead. The only thing CIG can do to discourage that is to make the game grindy but who wants to pay for a spaceship for a grindy game?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Is that really such a bad thing though? It was included with the caveat of "it's coming soon, but we're not going to say a specific date just to keep disappointing you"

no well run company operates with no dates/schedules just fyi.

a company that operates under, when it's done it's done, without anyone to say get this poo poo done now before making anything will turn into a blackhole for money. then again crowd funding essentially rewards this type of behaviour.

i mean come the gently caress on this poo poo is eco101 stuff, it's called moral hazard.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 23, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

no_recall posted:

Deep down we know CR wants to build a game make a movie. But Money the game ruins everything

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Agrajag posted:

no well run company operates with no dates/schedules just fyi.

a company that operates under, when it's done it's done, without anyone to say get this poo poo done now before making anything will turn into a blackhole for money. then again crowd funding essentially rewards this type of behaviour.

i mean come the gently caress on this poo poo is eco101 stuff, it's called moral hazard.

Blizzard seems to do pretty well without any release dates :)

Then again Blizzard is Blizzard.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

The issue with no dates is there's no known plan now, so you can't tell if everything is going well or loving up as usual. There's the other problem too.

Say they fix 2.0 so it's not quite as bad and people can actually stay connected without crashing. Players will soon discover all the content, they could even hide some of it in the middle of nowhere and someone will still find it in a week. Everything they've put in is going to have players crawling all over it and under it.

So the next demand is going to be for normal type of stuff you see in an actual game, NPCs, upgrading equipment, the ability to earn space credits and some form of advancement in ships or FPS gear. That's all going to be buggy to start with and require a lot of development effort to fix. But Star Citizen isn't a normal game, as soon as they add the ability to earn credits people are going to stop buying ships and earn them instead. The only thing CIG can do to discourage that is to make the game grindy but who wants to pay for a spaceship for a grindy game?

...and that's not even the half of it. Most people are completely ignoring the fact that THIS (below) is what they were promised. Seriously, scroll that list. And we don't even have the aliens in yet, let alone the alien languages.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Blizzard seems to do pretty well without any release dates :)

Then again Blizzard is Blizzard.

Actually no. They DO have an internal release date. They just refrain from giving a public one.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Actually no. They DO have an internal release date. They just refrain from giving a public one.

They keep pushing it back over and over though (Diablo III, StarCraft II), and they can even end up scrapping a game if they don't like it (StarCraft: Ghost). They may have some internal release dates, but if they don't feel the game is there then they're ok with pushing it back a year or two. This is why their games in general are so drat good though (apart from Diablo III, because **** Diablo III).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Blizzard is actually a good topic because if we wanted someone to ruin a franchise we could have asked for Jay Wilson.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What's striking to me is the dissonant levels of detail, effort and polish. There are all these hyper-involved features like the elevators, ramps, ladders and hatches you need to interact with to get anywhere, or the myriad pilot seat animations with flip top canopies or spinning seats. Meanwhile you can't go five minutes without clipping through something or just crashing.

Shouldn't the first priority be getting a stable engine running, laying down a couple of basic spaceship hulls that can move and shoot, and then adding all the pointless immersive detail?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tahirovic posted:

Blizzard is actually a good topic because if we wanted someone to ruin a franchise we could have asked for Jay Wilson.

There is no situation where Blizzard is not a good topic.

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Aside from the stealing (btw, this is why Line Of Defense has asset lock) ships, any ship left on the landing pad despawns after 8 mins. So no much griefing there.

Ships despawning really ruins my immersion, what they really need is some sort of space bulldozer to push loitering ships off the deck to make room

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
...because Goons ruin everything

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Skellybones posted:

What's striking to me is the dissonant levels of detail, effort and polish. There are all these hyper-involved features like the elevators, ramps, ladders and hatches you need to interact with to get anywhere, or the myriad pilot seat animations with flip top canopies or spinning seats. Meanwhile you can't go five minutes without clipping through something or just crashing.

Shouldn't the first priority be getting a stable engine running, laying down a couple of basic spaceship hulls that can move and shoot, and then adding all the pointless immersive detail?

Because fidelity. Blame Chris. Seriously, this is ALL his fault. All of it.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Skellybones posted:

This is also my beef with the game. I don't like their process of going for details first, I mean sure, some of it ends up being fantastic, but I'd much rather have a working minimalistic prototype.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Guffikins posted:

Ships despawning really ruins my immersion, what they really need is some sort of space bulldozer to push loitering ships off the deck to make room

Yeah, gently caress you. You do realize they monitor this forum right? Now someone's going to show this to Chris. Then he's going to get some poor sap do it. Because immersion.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Sarsapariller posted:

Summary: To call it "Unplayable" would be... generous. As a software developer I'm truly shocked that they would let anyone outside of internal testers see it in this state- but I realize that the demands of their bosses aren't exactly grounded in reality. Nothing I saw was truly unfixable though, and there are little glimmers of an amazing game peeking through here and there- EVA'ing to other people's ships was an incredible feeling, as was just standing in the docking bay lounge and watching people and ships interact. But in the current state it's really not stable enough to even evaluate whether or not the mechanics are interesting- mostly it's just an exercise in learning what not to touch to avoid crashing.

I would put these errors in the "Issue Council" except CIG did not send me a password to log into the ptu site when they sent me the PTU invitation. Guess they didn't want the feedback that much.

Over the weekend I realized that I had a PTU invite for 2.0 (it was filed away in my spam folder, almost like my computer was trying to tell me something), so I decided to try it out and see how things were "progressing."

After ten minutes and several crashes, the most that I got accomplished was warping out to a relay station and then I had my final crash and decided to play actual games that exist and are fun instead.

I am honestly amazed at the amount of self-delusion that it takes for redditors/streamers to play this thing for hours on end, when it literally crashes every few minutes for everybody that tries to play. Even if it was working, there still isn't much there - you can warp to a few locations in system, try to fight some dumb AI, and...that's about it? I mean, I'm not really expecting much from yet another tech demo, but I don't see how people are so amazed by a tech demo that doesn't even work.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, gently caress you. You do realize they monitor this forum right? Now someone's going to show this to Chris. Then he's going to get some poor sap do it. Because immersion.

That would be a lot closer to what ED does though. Wasted some poor civilian traders for a bit of cargo? Killed security forces for shits and giggles? Pay a small fine. Spent some time loitering over a landing pad? DIE!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maldoror posted:

welcome to star citizen

welcome

to star citizen
The only limit is yourself.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
how big is the 2.0 install?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Been an avid supporter of SC for well over a year now and have spent over 1k on this game.

quote:

Been an avid supporter of SC for well over a year now and have spent over 1k on this game.

I was in the same boat with all the other SC cultists. I’d defend it without a second thought. Striking down anything slightly negative like most of the asshats in the forums do. Derek Smart was just a guy who wanted attention in my eyes. That went on up until these past few months. I soon realized that DS was in fact correct with most of his whistle blows. CIG’s business model has become ever more corrupt and showing signs of needing money more than ever. They’re going back on their word to the point that they don’t care about the player’s happiness at all. They only care about making money and will only change something if it’s negatively effecting their cash flow.

Like with the recent 2.0 release. They stated that 1000 players who have been using the Issue Council moderately would get access to play the release. How the hell were we suppose to know if these people were actually getting to play the 2.0 like they stated? They could give the access to anyone they wanted and say that it was because they used IC when several players saying they haven’t once used IC are getting the sign up emails. The horrible buggy poo poo that is the 2.0 update began popping up on CIG’s forums. Everyone instantly began defending it by saying it was a glorified stress test. So if this was true then why did they make drat sure that every SC twitch streamer got access. Because publicity means MONEY.

It’s all slowly beginning to show. They spending more and more money and they’re having a hard time keeping up. So they’ve resorted to making money in anyway possible. Hell you can tell this whole game is a scam due to the fact they haven’t stated how they plan on keeping this game afloat after the PU release. Some members of CIG have hinted around at a P2W model but honestly gently caress that.

So gently caress you CIG and to everyone else stop spending money on this game. Jpeg ships are not worth thousands of dollars. No matter what the CIG cult tells you. Hold on to your money until (or if) the actual game comes out.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
Can you feel the fun?

Sausage, anyone?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Skellybones posted:

Chris Roberts was coding games before it was cool, you wouldn't understand.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

D_Smart posted:

quote:

I was in the same boat with all the other SC cultists. I’d defend it without a second thought.

So gently caress you CIG and to everyone else stop spending money on this game. Jpeg ships are not worth thousands of dollars. No matter what the CIG cult tells you. Hold on to your money until (or if) the actual game comes out.

lol if you have to preface the poo poo you say with that for any cultist to take you seriously

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

People that get upset over being left out from something like this aren't unusual. Also, looking at the state of the releases stability I don't understand what the rush is to get in... :)

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Skellybones posted:

The issue is partially that the ships have no clear design direction and the interiors are designed only after the exterior is ready. The Avenger needs all those dumb animations because the interior is too small for human sized doors. CIG designs cool looking ships that are easy to sell and only later starts thinking how they are going to fit all the poo poo inside that hull. Basically the animations need to be there because normal movement is impossible in some of the ships.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LastCaress posted:

It's funny how one of the complaints against publishers was having deadlines and having to rush things and they're doing the same, rushing whatever they had to present it as 2.0 during the 3rd anniversary.

For certain, hilariously broad, definitions of "rushing"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

how big is the 2.0 install?

Took me almost 30 minutes to download, so I guess pretty huge.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

This is kinda weak tough.
There's a lot of things way more wrong with the game than that. From what was said so far we can assume that an Idris will take a while to be replaced trough the insurance company and it will come without modules. If this game was real there'd be plenty of ways for us to hurt those whales.

That whole article reads like it's been written by someone who didn't follow this fantasy story.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tahirovic posted:

This is kinda weak tough.
There's a lot of things way more wrong with the game than that. From what was said so far we can assume that an Idris will take a while to be replaced trough the insurance company and it will come without modules. If this game was real there'd be plenty of ways for us to hurt those whales.

That whole article reads like it's been written by someone who didn't follow this fantasy story.

I dunno, but the whole thing reads like Goons (that being us) are going to absolutely gently caress them up. Like yeah, you think? :)

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

thinking about it, the ship designs in general are absolutely horrible. Many ships have interiors that are too small for normal FPS movement (and thus require transition animations). Some of them were clearly made without clear guidelines (the Cutlass has big red buttons that operate all the doors and systems, a feature that exist in no other ship). Most of the interiors are either massive wastes of space (that bomber ship thing) or they come from the large segmented tube school of design (constellation, freelancer). They really should've made the interiors first to make sure everything fits and that normal movement is possible throughout the ship.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Serious post: in my days of casually looking at occasional SC media, I have three (3) times seen this slow, stiff, sad animation to sit down in a chair and take command of a ship.

I'm literally sick of it after seeing it three times as an observer who has the option to skip ahead or tab away. If I had to deal with that in the actual game, that would be a meaningful quality of life issue.

Real talk. It's not like SC is presenting us with a shortage of evidence of questionable design decisions, but this sticks out to me as one of the most egregious - after all, what is a more core part of your space game than sitting down in your space chair to drive your space ship? If you can't even get that right, where do you stand?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

no_recall posted:

All the people who have invested themselves in JPEGs are praying to CR to ensure that they don't go down the Elite path, where CR will provide emergent, dynamic, non-linear gameplay that revolves around your every action and decision. NPC's will act and react based on who you are, dynamically and there are millions of them. Player base is only going to be 10% of this multiverse.

This is Star Citizen.

Believe.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12770-Chris-Roberts-On-Multiplayer-Single-Player-And-Instancing

Hey, Croberts has done it before.

quote:

the industry was enthusiastic about the prospect of playing in a world that changes without player interaction (a dynamic world)

quote:

a virtual galaxy, whose systems execute their own programs regardless of the players' presence; cities would be bustling with transports and each world's weather changes on its own time. Commodity prices in each star system would fluctuate, according to the activities of the computer controlled traders, who import and export goods. Roberts envisioned thousands of players simultaneously interacting with and influencing this world through a unique and intuitive user interface never seen before in other games. Each player could pursue a quest set up for their character, and join other players to attempt other missions together without needing to exit the game and start a new mode of play. Artificial intelligence would fly the players' spacecraft, letting them concentrate on combat or other tasks. Roberts intended the cutscenes and gameplay visuals to be of equal quality so players would be unable to distinguish between the two.

Oh wait

quote:

There were concerns about the state of the graphics and uncertainties over the promise of a dynamic economy

That doesn't sound good but I'm sure

quote:

Initially in 1999, Roberts announced the game would be available on the market by fall 2000. However, the project suffered delays and by Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2000, Roberts said the earliest release for the game was at the end of 2001

It's fine everything is fine

quote:

In June 2000, Microsoft started talks to buy Digital Anvil. Roberts admitted that his team required large sums of money, which only a huge company could provide, to continue developing Freelancer with its "wildly ambitious" features and unpredictable schedule; the project had overshot its original development projection of three years by 18 months. Features such as the automated flight control, conversations that had different choices of responses, and sub-quests were abandoned.

quote:

the features, although not cut, were reduced, leaving Freelancer with a virtual world that did not live up to the industry's expectations. It presented a static galaxy, where territories of various factions never change despite the groups' frequent raids and attacks on each other, and commodity prices remain fixed.

quote:

The long cutscenes, which cannot be skipped, frustrated game journalist Tom Chick; he wanted to skip the scenes and continue playing instead of being forced to watch a clichéd story.

quote:

Overall, reviewers acknowledged Freelancer fell short of the promises initially made by Roberts; however, it demonstrated a high quality of work in its implemented features. The various concepts were well meshed together to form an entertaining product. It never broke or raised the bar of its genre, but boasted a high production value, and has been said to be well worth the money. The game, however, was an anti-climax for those who were hooked by the touted and promised initial concepts, many of which were never realized. Freelancer was a "hugely ambitious game", as admitted by Chris Roberts, for a company to develop without the necessary capital and resources.

Ah.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

Oh wait

Ah.

If it turns out to be as good as Freelancer was then I think a lot of people would be happy though.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Danknificent posted:

Serious post: in my days of casually looking at occasional SC media, I have three (3) times seen this slow, stiff, sad animation to sit down in a chair and take command of a ship.

I'm literally sick of it after seeing it three times as an observer who has the option to skip ahead or tab away. If I had to deal with that in the actual game, that would be a meaningful quality of life issue.

Real talk. It's not like SC is presenting us with a shortage of evidence of questionable design decisions, but this sticks out to me as one of the most egregious - after all, what is a more core part of your space game than sitting down in your space chair to drive your space ship? If you can't even get that right, where do you stand?

agreed, the sitting animations are all far too slow and over choreographed. They should be 2 to 3 seconds long max, without all the careful stepping around and spinning poo poo many of them have right now.

e: the constellation "sit down" animation is loving 15 seconds long.

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

alphabettitouretti posted:

Oh wait

Ah.

this would be the best ending for the game. croberts runs to a publisher to buy him out for pennies on the dollar and release the game

• Locked thread