Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I just beat SC and it owned and I'm very happy about it but now I'm also sad because I want the third game and Ao and Zero now and I know they may never come, how do I deal with this crushing feeling of inevitable disappointment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Slur posted:

Well, I beat SC.

The part in the story which made me laugh the most is how much they played up Weissmann's dickery at the end.

I was expecting the end of his dialogue after Loewe shattered his barrier to be finished with the line "did I mention I punched a cat today?"

I love that Cassius, Joshua and Kevin utterly punked him by basically saying "you're so utterly predictable, douche".

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Super Jay Mann posted:

I just beat SC and it owned and I'm very happy about it but now I'm also sad because I want the third game and Ao and Zero now and I know they may never come, how do I deal with this crushing feeling of inevitable disappointment?

Long term, we may see a lot of entries if FC/SC and Cold Steel sell well enough. XSEED has the rights to at least a couple more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm starting NG+ and it feels like buffs are wearing off much more quickly. They all lasted for an entire combat in my first playthrough. Is that just part of NG+, or something else?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

Long term, we may see a lot of entries if FC/SC and Cold Steel sell well enough. XSEED has the rights to at least a couple more.

Note that FC sold phenomenally on steam, so it's reasonable to expect (... hope) that SC will do the same. But in the steam way of selling well, which is over a fairly long time.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

I'm starting NG+ and it feels like buffs are wearing off much more quickly. They all lasted for an entire combat in my first playthrough. Is that just part of NG+, or something else?

Did you start NG+ with carried-over levels?

Buffs in normal gameplay start out running out very quickly and their duration increases as you move through the game. The way the buffs (and debuffs and status effects) work is that they run on a hidden timer that runs independently from the combattant turns. Basically, as your speed stat increases as you go through the game and you get more and more turns per "combat round", buffs seemingly stick around for a lot longer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, I wonder if that's why I never found buffs to be as useful as people always said they were, I only tried using them at the start of the game and they seemed to run out so quick that I'd spend more time reapplying them than actually fighting the enemy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy posted:

Did you start NG+ with carried-over levels?

Buffs in normal gameplay start out running out very quickly and their duration increases as you move through the game. The way the buffs (and debuffs and status effects) work is that they run on a hidden timer that runs independently from the combattant turns. Basically, as your speed stat increases as you go through the game and you get more and more turns per "combat round", buffs seemingly stick around for a lot longer.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks. I was comparing prologue fights on NG+ against the end boss fights on my first go. I didn't actually use any buffs until the start of Chapter 5 or so, so I never noticed how short they start out.

I was actually worried they got bugged, or nerfed in a patch or something.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Yeah, thankfully Buffs are made less stupid at early levels in later games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So that's why buffs were useless in FC lol

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Buffs, debuffs and status effects worked the same way in FC. I remember tweaking my quartz so I could have Chaos Brand as early as the prologue in FC and laughing evilly upon casting it on a miniboss I knew wasn't immune. This was followed by me crying like a little girl when the confusion wore off before the affected monster even got a turn.

Anyway, early on, buffs run out really quickly. By the end of the game, they last pretty much throughout the entire fight and are very much worth casting. Morale is okay, even early on, since it affects everyone nearby and can be useful for a quick on-the-spot buff to give Agate's crafts/s-crafts some extra punch, but applying individual buffs like clock-up early on is just a waste of time.

Later games replace it with buffs lasting a fixed number of turns (like 3 or 5) regardless of when you use them. That comes with its own downsides as arts are considered two turns, so especially speed boosts run out really quickly and overall you have re-apply them more frequently.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cake Attack posted:

So that's why buffs were useless in FC lol

Morale was pretty handy even then since it also affected arts in that game, so I'd often open a battle against chest monsters/extermination monsters by having folks like Joshua and Schera prepare a spell and have Estelle do a quick boost before the arts discharged. Speed boosts became useful about half-way through. What really hurt spells like Crest and Forte was the fact that they were single-target only, meaning you'd spend way too much time applying them. SC adding La Crest and La Forte was very welcome.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Morale affects arts damage?!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I quit my job a couple weeks ago and didn't have much to do, bought FC on a whim and ive played like 19 hours in the past three days

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

klapman posted:

I quit my job a couple weeks ago and didn't have much to do, bought FC on a whim and ive played like 19 hours in the past three days

Good. Buy SC.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Good. Buy SC.

No, he should wait for a year or two or more before buying SC just to get the authentic Western Kiseki Experience™

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

No, he should wait for a year or two or more before buying SC just to get the authentic Western Kiseki Experience™

I'm willing to let some people miss the Western Kiseki Experience if it slightly increases the chance we get the rest of the series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

third chapter isn't plot important but it contains tons of backstory on several characters who don't have their pasts fully explained in SC

also richard is a private detective

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I was more talking about Zero and Azure.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I wanna play third because Kevin is cool and apparently he gets a cute nun girlfriend? Also fully playable Anelace.

It'll be epic and it'll happen

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
There isn't a possible circumstance where Zero and Ao will come stateside

Slur fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 23, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I believe

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Slur posted:

Not with that attitude.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Slur posted:

... no, I'm pretty sure there is...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

We did see one miracle already.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Miracle of Zero.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

Morale affects arts damage?!

In FC, it did. Likewise, Kämpfer reduced ATS and ADF as well if it hit. In SC they most likely unhooked the physical and the magical buffs from one another since there's a separate spell for lowering ADF now as well as a separate spell for buffing ADF.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

In FC, it did. Likewise, Kämpfer reduced ATS and ADF as well if it hit. In SC they most likely unhooked the physical and the magical buffs from one another since there's a separate spell for lowering ADF now as well as a separate spell for buffing ADF.

I did notice that arts did more damage when the target was hit by Kampfer, which I thought was a little weird.

Arklight
Nov 13, 2012

howdy

Endorph posted:

third chapter isn't plot important but it contains tons of backstory on several characters who don't have their pasts fully explained in SC

also richard is a private detective

Trails the 3rd is apparently very significant to the overarching story of Trails. In particular, Ao/Azure and Cold Steel 2 supposedly have some pretty big callbacks to events in 3rd.
I really hope CS won't be too difficult to comprehend/appreciate once it's available.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

There are now separate spells for lowering ADF, but as there doesn't seem to be anything for ATS, I assume Morale still works. Haven't really checked.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Supremezero posted:

There are now separate spells for lowering ADF, but as there doesn't seem to be anything for ATS, I assume Morale still works. Haven't really checked.

I never noticed any meaningful difference in Arts power from a morale'd Kloe as opposed to non-boosted, but then when she casts spells I see giant numbers pop up regardless so I probably wasn't paying too much attention to the exact amounts in each case.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
This question is dumb and Imma go test it.

*tests*

Diamond Dust: 2580 damage.

Morale'd Diamond Dust: 2634

That is not 20%, so it's probably just variance.

Hmm.

Forte'd Diamond Dust: Still same variance.

Zodiac'd Diamond Dust: Same

Kampfer'd Diamond Dust: Same

So the only way to boost Arts now is

Orbal Down'd Diamond Dust: 3224 damage.

:saddowns:

I mean, I guess arts are ridiculously powerful, but still, come on!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I assumed that Morale did boost arts, based on the fact that arts damage goes up when you get one of those STR or critical turn bonuses. Just seemed like every damage increaser applied to everything

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

I assumed that Morale did boost arts, based on the fact that arts damage goes up when you get one of those STR or critical turn bonuses. Just seemed like every damage increaser applied to everything

Pretty sure STR up turns literally just boost strength, and hence arts damage is the same on those turns. Arts only get a boost on critical turns. Or at least it seemed to be this way in SC, can't remember FC.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Now that SC is out and also I have some spare time, I'm finally playing through FC, which has been sitting in my Steam library unplayed forever.

I'm getting my rear end handed to me in battles more than I want to admit. It's been forever since I played a JRPG, I think I've lost the knack.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

cptn_dr posted:

Now that SC is out and also I have some spare time, I'm finally playing through FC, which has been sitting in my Steam library unplayed forever.

I'm getting my rear end handed to me in battles more than I want to admit. It's been forever since I played a JRPG, I think I've lost the knack.

One of your top priorities should always be to buy new weapons and armor as soon as possible for each party member as soon as you can access it. If you don't have enough mira, quest for more, and never trade in your sepith for mira. This will make battles that much easier, especially early game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

cptn_dr posted:

The early game is also a lot tougher until you get some options, IMO. If you can, fight a shining pom or two. It's the only way to really "grind" and with the way the exp system works you wont be doing it very long. You'll also get boatloads of sepith to craft new quartz.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I'd set up at least two people with shadow spear so you have more chances at taking them out

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's worth noting that Flicker will always hit shining poms, at least for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's worth noting that Flicker will always hit shining poms, at least for me.

Flicker can miss, so you probably got lucky.
S-crafts have 100% accuracy though.