Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I ctrl+f'd a few pages and did not see a thread for this movie. Remember the first one was a big deal? Then Mockingjay Part 1 sucked*? Then there's this movie, ending it all.

Saw it last night and it was pretty alright.

Afterwards the theater gave us this horrific poster that I would surely love to place in my living or dining room or anywhere else it might be seen by other people:

I would like to use the remainder of this space to tell Hollywood that while blubbering when you cry is normal, saliva should not be flooding out of your mouth (nor should snot be sticking to your wife's crispy feet as in Gladiator).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
This has to be one of the most underwhelming conclusions to a film series I've seen. The plots to these movies have never really held up to scrutiny because the world they're based in is just nonsensical, but they were stylish and fun despite that. Outside of a handful of scenes, usually limited to when President Snow is on camera, the fun is totally sucked out of this one and we're locked into the politicking of the resistance. It's all so dreary and underwhelming and the plot just sort of crawls forward for two hours. I really want Hollywood to stop splitting up novels into multiple films just to increase ticket sales because I bet there's a good movie to be made between the two Mockingjay films. But whatever I'm sure it will make a bajillion dollars so my opinion doesn't really matter.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The Mockingjay book was even weaker than the movies. One movie or two, there was never going to be a strong conclusion to the series short of abandoning the book completely.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I liked it. I can't think of any other action movies that I've seen that focused so much attention on propaganda. I do think some of the character moments were hurt from being split into two movies, such as the character moments with Prim being in the last movie, but that won't be an issue once you can watch the whole series in a marathon session.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The pacing was a mess, but any movie this cynical and anti-war should be at least applauded for that.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I really wish they'd have changed one element that was present in the book Prim's Death it just seemed unnecessary as surely the atrocities Katniss witnessed would have been sufficient, it also ruins the reason why Katniss got involved with the Hunger Games in the first place.

But of course she gets to live happily ever after with Peta

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The ending was a bit reminiscent of Return of the King in terms of false conclusions, but overall I'd say the film is good.

One way I think it could be improved is by separating the narrative from Katniss' viewpoint, like was done earlier in the film. Everything about the bombing is introduced and resolved in what feels like 15 minutes. The only hint we have beforehand about President Coin's mercenary nature is the little speech by Boggs. Maybe have a scene from her viewpoint after she hears the Capitol is sending refugees to the Palace.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Two things that bugged me, more of a Hollywood thing for the sake of story I guess:

All those people in that military squad Katniss is in? Yeah of course they've gotta die; they just introduced them halfway into the final movie. Finnick too, but that's because we saw him get married earlier.

And of course the god drat cat survived this whole time :3

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The cat not only survives, but apparently walks all the way from District 13 back to District 12 by itself?

Either that or someone dropped it off.

Kind of how Gail escapes from imprisonment some way or another, the details aren't important

We knew Gail&Coin were poo poo when Gail was going over the plan on the holoprojector thing.

edit: I thought killing Prim was specifically TO invalidate Katniss's whole arc in the Hunger Games, so it had a purpose...sort of... killing Finnick was the unnecessary bit.

edit2: I just spoilered everything. :downs:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 21, 2015

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I haven't caught it yet, but I'm mainly curious about how Katniss's invasion of the Capitol and the insane booby traps looks, since that poo poo was crazy in the book. People melting, ground disappearing, tracker jackers, etc. Did all of that turn out alright?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anya posted:

I haven't caught it yet, but I'm mainly curious about how Katniss's invasion of the Capitol and the insane booby traps looks, since that poo poo was crazy in the book. People melting, ground disappearing, tracker jackers, etc. Did all of that turn out alright?

I think in order, the only booby traps you see are:

1. Basically just a giant flame thrower

2. Two machine guns in a corridor that try to kill everyone

3. This weird oil that if you touch it murders you and then strings you up like a spider.

4. A whole bunch of what are essentially fast zombies (they call them "Mutts" but i never saw them before).

5. There's a subway station and the lights fire beams downward and if you're caught in it you pretty much disintegrate.

6. The floor of the same subway station gets ripped apart to reveal saw blades underneath.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Anya posted:

It's pretty good if a little on the short side and nowhere near as many traps as featured in the book from what I remember, I quite liked the look of the Mutts and thought the CG was pretty decent.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So is this movie not good or?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Boris Galerkin posted:

So is this movie not good or?

It's aight.

Mockingjay Part 1 is the best movie of 2014, functioning great as a standalone film about these cool revolutionaries.

Mockingjay Part 2 is not the best movie of 2015. It contains all the plot exposition (and references to the previous films) that were left out of Part 1. The rad propaganda stuff is gone, as Katniss goes on a secret vengeance mission for most of the film - meaning she is only rarely being filmed. This mission also brings her away from the people, so there are no more scenes of her inspiring them to kill cops. In fact, the biggest error of the film is that we see absolutely nothing of what people are fighting for, besides a quick reference to 'democratic elections' (exposition).

The surreal deathtrap stuff is pretty great, though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

computer parts posted:

4. A whole bunch of what are essentially fast zombies (they call them "Mutts" but i never saw them before).

I think Peeta was calling them mutts because weird CGI dogs got sent after them in the first games, he was saying they are like that.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!

turtlecrunch posted:

I think Peeta was calling them mutts because weird CGI dogs got sent after them in the first games, he was saying they are like that.

Mutt is slang for any weird genetically mutated creature that the Capitol comes up with. Jabberjays, mockingjays, tracker jackers, and the wolves and monkey creatures from the first two movies are all mutts too. These ones are people/lizard mutations I think.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Okay, that sounds pretty cool. Mutts are mentioned in the book as well, if someone hasn't read it.

Ozkar
Nov 19, 2015
I love how the film turned in to The Descent for 20 minutes; shoulda been just that for most of it, followed by their borderline 10 LOTR-style endings.

Animax
Nov 7, 2015

computer parts posted:

I think in order, the only booby traps you see are:

1. Basically just a giant flame thrower

2. Two machine guns in a corridor that try to kill everyone

3. This weird oil that if you touch it murders you and then strings you up like a spider.

5. There's a subway station and the lights fire beams downward and if you're caught in it you pretty much disintegrate.

6. The floor of the same subway station gets ripped apart to reveal saw blades underneath.

Number three was freaky as gently caress. Not my preferred way to go.

Ozkar
Nov 19, 2015
It was the Creep Show oil slick with Land Jump disabled

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I think the impact of the final lines of the movie were diminished somewhat by everyone in the theatre laughing at that fat baby i mean holy poo poo that was a fat fuckin baby

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also Peeta Yeah I might have killed a bunch of guys on the way to the Mansion but hey hey no reason not to have a happy ever ending right:? Let's not think about the soldiers we threw into the Murder Oil Slick...

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I loved the Black Goo and Donald Sutherland's final scene enough to overlook the weaknesses of the film. I kind of like that Katniss's Sneaking Mission was insignificant in the overall picture of the war effort, but I agree that greatly reducing the propaganda war in favor of a physical war was a little disappointing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Surlaw posted:

I loved the Black Goo and Donald Sutherland's final scene enough to overlook the weaknesses of the film. I kind of like that Katniss's Sneaking Mission was insignificant in the overall picture of the war effort, but I agree that greatly reducing the propaganda war in favor of a physical war was a little disappointing.

The real issue is that the rebellion's victory just feels inevitable. At no point do you ever feel like their army is in danger of being defeated. Obviously this is because the propaganda machine is causing people to switch sides, but we're never shown it outside of the civilians fleeing the Nut, and even that doesn't actually end with the surrender of Snow's supporters.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Panfilo posted:

Also Peeta Yeah I might have killed a bunch of guys on the way to the Mansion but hey hey no reason not to have a happy ever ending right:? Let's not think about the soldiers we threw into the Murder Oil Slick...

Peeta talked about this immediately after the Cesar Flickerman (sorry for all names I misspell btw) broadcast and tried to get everyone to leave him behind. As to why no one charged him for it: well, dystopian youth fiction justice is much more respective of mental illness than our primitive modern-day justice, and/or his best friend was the hero of Pan Em. edit: Since Coin made a deal to pardon him as long as they won the war with Katniss's help, maybe they just extended that to murder and called it a day.

edit2: $101M domestic for the weekend, lowest start for the series. :thumbsup:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 23, 2015

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
why was there a tiger woman in this movie

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Afterwards the theater gave us this horrific poster that I would surely love to place in my living or dining room or anywhere else it might be seen by other people:

Drakengard tie-in confirmed...??

Ozkar
Nov 19, 2015

turtlecrunch posted:

edit2: $101M domestic for the weekend, lowest start for the series. :thumbsup:

American's are broke due to: 1) pre-buying Star Wars movie tickets; 2) Placing bets on whether Glenn was really eaten in Walking Dead

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Riptor posted:

I think it was to show that even the Capitol doesn't stand for you surgically modifying yourself to look like a cat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Riptor posted:

For the same reason there's a bird-woman. There's a theme of characters being turned into animals.

The main problem with the film is that basically provides a very rudimentary ideological critique of Part 1, when Part 1 already-implicitly featured its own far more nuanced self-criticism.

Like, if you're an intelligent person at all, you are already fully aware that President Snow is not solely responsible responsible for all the oppression in the world - but that, nonetheless, he is an obvious example of the type of person who benefits from the system and is working to defend it.

But pretty much the entire runtime of Part 2 is spent slowly explaining that you can't simply assassinate the president, because that won't accomplish anything. Capitalism is bad but so was stalinism, blah blah, etc.

It would honestly make more sense to play the two parts in reverse order.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gaz2k21 posted:

I really wish they'd have changed one element that was present in the book Prim's Death it just seemed unnecessary as surely the atrocities Katniss witnessed would have been sufficient, it also ruins the reason why Katniss got involved with the Hunger Games in the first place.

But of course she gets to live happily ever after with Peta
Wait, she and Peeta live out their lives as PTSD-ridden wrecks in the book, possibly slated to be murdered as soon as the public forgets about them.. Did they really change that? Because one thing I liked about the book was how bleak and cynical it can get.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They still have PTSD but they get over it enough to have 2 kids. Katniss says she makes a list in her head of every nice thing she has seen someone do and that helps. There's no chance of someone murdering them, Katniss is a "prisoner" for a time and then the new new prez pardons her and she goes back and lives in District 12/the wilderness.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

turtlecrunch posted:

They still have PTSD but they get over it enough to have 2 kids. Katniss says she makes a list in her head of every nice thing she has seen someone do and that helps. There's no chance of someone murdering them, Katniss is a "prisoner" for a time and then the new new prez pardons her and she goes back and lives in District 12/the wilderness.

I like how those lines were pretty much Catniss explaining CBT in a simplified manner. That clip will be a god send for child psychiatrists to show their patients.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ozkar posted:

Star Wars

I honestly don't think anyone cares about a single movie opening at the moment beyond star wars, it's weird

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Surlaw posted:

I loved the Black Goo

It was oil

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Oil that spawns chains when it catches you, because it made some Gamemaker twist his blue mustache in delight.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I also had a good chuckle when they found the stairs had been destroyed and didn't even bother trying to get to the next floor by other means despite the oil still coming. It was like an artificial barrier in a video game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Donald Southerland has the craziest crazy eyes, and I loved his "I have no problem killing children, but I'm not wasteful" line. Bonus points for him realizing Coin just going to replace him part-and-parcel long before Katniss.

Edit: And his butthurt face when Coin used the wrong word from his speech was awesome. Basically, DS is awesome.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 25, 2015

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I liked the movie overall because I've yet to see Donald Sutherland be bad in anything and the action was enjoyable. Not top 10 of the year material but I'd gladly recommend it to a friend.

I skipped Part 1 though (read the books already and didn't care at the time) and now I have a question. Is the whole propaganda angle as strong and interesting as SMG has said?

e:

MisterBibs posted:

Donald Southerland has the craziest crazy eyes, and I loved his "I have no problem killing children, but I'm not wasteful" line.

Best line of the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

turtlecrunch posted:

Oil that spawns chains when it catches you, because it made some Gamemaker twist his blue mustache in delight.

It cracks me up that the true extent of technology demonstrated in this future is elaborate deathtraps. Ok sure, they have those hovercrafts and stuff, but other than that it seems like all the R&D is going over the Killer Oil and WereMonkey departments.

• Locked thread