Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Episode 11 should been called "AKA Spinning Our Wheels"

Seriously, nothing loving happened Jessica gets hit by a truck, Simpson takes magic pills to make him super strong, Trish takes same magic pills to make her apparently as strong(?) as a man who still has probably 50 pounds on her. The scenes about Jess's past are always nice though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't see how people don't get that the reason she didn't want to kill Kilgrave in the beginning was that if they could get him alive and prove his powers, then they'd be able to help some of the people he'd hurt. By doing that Jessica would feel she would be redeemed from being under his control and get some control of her life. Everything involving Kilgrave was personal as hell to her; he wasn't just some villain that she had to take out.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Gaunab posted:

I don't see how people don't get that the reason she didn't want to kill Kilgrave in the beginning was that if they could get him alive and prove his powers, then they'd be able to help some of the people he'd hurt. By doing that Jessica would feel she would be redeemed from being under his control and get some control of her life. Everything involving Kilgrave was personal as hell to her; he wasn't just some villain that she had to take out.

People get that. It's not exactly subtext, it's overtly stated about a hundred times. It's entirely possible to get that and still think Jessica could and/or should have handled things differently in the early going. She's so consumed with saving Hope/redeeming herself/proving to the world that Kilgrave exists that she paradoxically almost underestimates how destructive he's out there being until he kills Reuben, and even then she's only motivated to try some idiotic supermax trap scenario instead of taking him out.

The fact that Hope sacrifices herself more or less to get Jessica's head out of her rear end and free her to do what needed to be done tells me the show is not entirely unsympathetic to this criticism.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 23, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Lol, how did not killing him work out in the end? pretty sure Hope even realized shes being stupid and killed herself so Jessica would stop being dumb. The whole show had too many times of "We got him! We should kill him. gently caress that. Oh drat, he got away and now five more people are dead and another guy lost his coat." Repeat that 6x and you have this show.

I liked Daredevil a fuckload more than this. Daredevil also had only a few people die, and when the characters died we actually cared. This show killed people left and right, I just couldn't care when Reuben died since I was expecting everyone to get killed anyways. RIP Ulrich

Drythe fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 23, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Drythe posted:

I liked Daredevil a fuckload more than this. Daredevil also had only a few people die, and when the characters died we actually cared. This show killed people left and right, I just couldn't care when Reuben died since I was expecting everyone to get killed anyways. RIP Ulrich

Yeah that death in particular felt pretty pointless and led to many of the more stupid moments in the season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drythe posted:

Lol, how did not killing him work out in the end? pretty sure Hope even realized shes being stupid and killed herself so Jessica would stop being dumb. The whole show had too many times of "We got him! We should kill him. gently caress that. Oh drat, he got away and now five more people are dead and another guy lost his coat." Repeat that 6x and you have this show.

I liked Daredevil a fuckload more than this.

Except a big thing was it was not until episode 9 She was afraid that his powers would work on her, and she wanted Hope to get out of jail. Before Hope died and the poo poo with her lawyer they were going to be able to get him in a semi-legal way

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Except a big thing was it was not until episode 9 She was afraid that his powers would work on her, and she wanted Hope to get out of jail. Before Hope died and the poo poo with her lawyer they were going to be able to get him in a semi-legal way

Drythe posted:

pretty sure Hope even realized shes being stupid and killed herself so Jessica would stop being dumb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How was she dumb?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Drythe posted:

"We got him! We should kill him. gently caress that. Oh drat, he got away and now five more people are dead and another guy lost his coat."

A lot of coats were lost for a reason that didn't even make a drat difference in the end

Nuke Was Right

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Coat Guy is the real hero

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Coat Guy is the real hero

:agreed:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Like seriously, Jessica wasn't being dumb. She was trapped by the circumstances and unable to act and Hope recognized it and remedied it. In the end it was Hope that saved Jessica, directly, using the first bit of agency she's able to get her hands on. And this, Hope's self sacrifice in order to save Jessica from the cycle of violence she's trapped in makes all the loving difference. Hope doesn't simply demand Jessica do violence, or admonish her for the refusal to do it, or attempt to do it for her.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I'm going to leave this scummy rear end lawyer alone with a sociopath who can mind control. The same scummy rear end lawyer who cheated on her wife and now keeps asking me for dirt to get better terms on a divorce. A divorce this lawyer caused by being a shittler. Yea, leaving her alone with Kilgrave can't end poorly at all. Oh poo poo, the cords been cut, who could have guessed?"

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Alternatively, Oh poo poo im stupid and drat, he got away again because I'm stupid. I should really just kill him because I suck at holding him hostage.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Personally, I would have imagined that Hogarth, as A Smart Person, would not try to cut a deal with Kilgrave, since Jessica straight-up tells her that as soon as they share the same air he will betray her. It's really weird to me that she would ignore that, despite only looking our for herself, etc. I guess you could say that she still wasn't fully convinced that Jessica's claims were legit, but if that's true why would she talk to Kilgrave at all if she doesn't think he's got powers? Her cutting a deal with Kilgrave really bothers me because its so idiotic. I can't blame Jessica for not seeing it coming.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

She also got her loving phone back after she knocked him out at her house, how did she not realize she sent a text that says "bitches, right?". God drat it. She knew Kilgrave knew there was a weakness he could exploit and she still leaves her alone with him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
End spoilers

The greatest part, was that Jeri's Manipulation was not because of Killgrave, but because she had run out of options and Pam had put her in an ultimatum either she gets the divorce papers signed or Pam walks away.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

like loving seriously, while we the viewer know that Hogarth cannot be trusted in this situation, Jessica has no real reason to believe the woman would do something so god damned loving stupid.

Like Jessica has no loving clue that Hogarth's divorce situation is going quite as badly as it is, she really doesn't know how desperate Hogarth is becoming.

Do you really have this much trouble separating what you, as the viewer know, from what the characters can or do know?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Drythe posted:

She also got her loving phone back after she knocked him out at her house, how did she not realize she sent a text that says "bitches, right?". God drat it. She knew Kilgrave knew there was a weakness he could exploit and she still leaves her alone with him.

Dude, who the gently caress checks their texting history if new message notification doesn't appear. I know I don't. Plus She probably has way more things to worry about. I don't pick up my phone and just go welp let me go check to see if anyone else used this to send a text recently. Unless someone texts me something that I have absolutely no context for later on.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The fight scenes were also dumb. The amount of times the fight ends because someone got knocked unconscious by getting hit in the head was ridiculous. Like, if you are unconscious for longer than a few seconds you need to go to the hospital for a cat scan. It's not something that happens normally.

Daredevil did it much better in that the people were so exhausted by getting the poo poo kicked out of them that they just stopped fighting and were crawling around in pain.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Serf posted:

I guess you could say that she still wasn't fully convinced that Jessica's claims were legit, but if that's true why would she talk to Kilgrave at all if she doesn't think he's got powers? Her cutting a deal with Kilgrave really bothers me because its so idiotic.

Last 4 episode spoiler

I couldn't put my finger on why that whole thing was so stupid but yeah, this is exactly it.

I honestly think both JJ and DD would have really benefitted from tighter editing. Each episode is almost an hour long instead of 42 minutes for starters, but I think both shows could have been cut down to 8-10 episodes and they would have felt much crisper.

Almost all Netflix shows I've watched have this problem, the removal of TV airtime constraints is great on paper but seems to lead to episodes that are simultaneously overstuffed and feel like they're pure filler.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 23, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Drythe posted:

Jessica has no loving clue that Kilgrave knew anything about that, she is never aware that Kilgrave saw the text or that he responded to it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Drythe posted:

Daredevil did it much better in that the people were so exhausted by getting the poo poo kicked out of them that they just stopped fighting and were crawling around in pain.

This one has people with super strength. Daredevil was just basically normal humans.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

like loving seriously, while we the viewer know that Hogarth cannot be trusted in this situation, Jessica has no real reason to believe the woman would do something so god damned loving stupid.

Like Jessica has no loving clue that Hogarth's divorce situation is going quite as badly as it is, she really doesn't know how desperate Hogarth is becoming.

Do you really have this much trouble separating what you, as the viewer know, from what the characters can or do know?

She actually does, since Hogarth tells her multiple times how much of a problem it is for her and to stop asking her for poo poo when she is trying to deal with this. Do you expect the scummy lawyer who repeatedly tells you to leave her alone to not betray you, when all you are is hired work? She barely believes Kilgrave has powers at all and wants to make a deal, something she does quite often in her profession

Do you have that much trouble accepting someone doesn't like this show and has to make them defend every opinion?

bobkatt013 posted:

This one has people with super strength. Daredevil was just basically normal humans.

Except it happens to her even! From normal humans!

Serf
May 5, 2011

"Hey, I just caught the Worst Person in the World and I'm preparing a cell to keep him in and I better get it right or he will mind-control me into being his slave again, this time probably forever. Hey, you know what I should do? Check my texts."

And since Jessica is apparently keeping up with 2 phones at that point, I can't blame her for not catching that one.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hogarth never tells her what's actually up, instead just repeatedly pressing her for help.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

There was only once where someone should not have been knocked out by what they got knocked out with.

Ending Spoiler
And that was Jessica when the support group turned on her, like yeah it's rough when you get hit with something you 100% aren't expecting or anticipating but yeah no she took hits from Luke Cage that wouldn't knock her out for an entire night.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Some point in the last 4 episodes spoiler

I don't know whether Jessica should have suspected Jeri of being as big a sack of poo poo as she is or not, but leaving someone in charge of the terrifying mind controller who doesn't believe he's a terrifying mind controller is a bad move. That might have been It's Patsy though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

Lets not forget this is also the women who took the fetus for medical reasons, as she wanted to see if the power could be replicate.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Serf posted:

"Hey, I just caught the Worst Person in the World and I'm preparing a cell to keep him in and I better get it right or he will mind-control me into being his slave again, this time probably forever. Hey, you know what I should do? Check my texts."

And since Jessica is apparently keeping up with 2 phones at that point, I can't blame her for not catching that one.

When he comes to Jessica is just sitting there watching. Do you not check your phone when you're bored? Do you not check your phone when its been held by the worst person in the world for a couple of days and you want to know if maybe someone tried to get in touch, like Trish or something? Or even the fact he had it want to check if he did anything to it? I sure as gently caress would, especially since she had time to sit down and wait for him to wake up.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget this is also the women who took the fetus for medical reasons, as she wanted to see if the power could be replicate.

And Jessica never had any loving clue about that.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Dexo posted:

There was only once where someone should not have been knocked out by what they got knocked out with.

Ending Spoiler
And that was Jessica when the support group turned on her, like yeah it's rough when you get hit with something you 100% aren't expecting or anticipating but yeah no she took hits from Luke Cage that wouldn't knock her out for an entire night.

The fights also did the dumb shaky camera poo poo. Take a note from Daredevil and do fights right, they end up looking much better.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Drythe posted:

When he comes to Jessica is just sitting there watching. Do you not check your phone when you're bored? Do you not check your phone when its been held by the worst person in the world for a couple of days and you want to know if maybe someone tried to get in touch, like Trish or something? Or even the fact he had it want to check if he did anything to it? I sure as gently caress would, especially since she had time to sit down and wait for him to wake up.

I don't think Jessica Jones was bored for even a single second while sitting within plain view of the person who ruined her whole life and raped her. Also, unless I have a notification of a message from the person on my phone, I do not check my texts. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but it's obvious that Jessica doesn't either.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Drythe posted:

Even more-so, she had to of asked Hogarth tom come there! She probably would have done that via text!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The way the fights were shot and edited was loving awful yeah. You'd figure they would take a page from noir and keep the shots clean and simple but nope.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Serf posted:

I don't think Jessica Jones was bored for even a single second while sitting within plain view of the person who ruined her whole life and raped her. Also, unless I have a notification of a message from the person on my phone, I do not check my texts. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but it's obvious that Jessica doesn't either.

He could have also deleted it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drythe posted:

Even more-so, she had to of asked Hogarth tom come there! She probably would have done that via text!

Obviously she used Hey Google

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Obviously she used Hey Google

Mother loving Google, literally ruining lives.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anyway, I really do have to say, the "I would not have made that mistake!" is just about one of my all time favorite criticism of any sort of entertainment ever and I really want to hear more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In all fairness, Daredevil could do a lot with their fight scenes that JJ just couldn't do. The most significant of which is that they could just use a stunt-double for all their fight scenes since DD's face is covered. I'm sure Krysten Ritter is a good sport but there's just not a whole lot you can do with her and still make it look half-decent.

NecroMonster posted:

Anyway, I really do have to say, the "I would not have made that mistake!" is just about one of my all time favorite criticism of any sort of entertainment ever and I really want to hear more of it.

Yeah it's a bit silly. Part of what's cool about Jessica as a character is she doesn't really fit into the power fantasy that a lot of superhero media deals with. She's not a genius, she makes stupid mistakes (and hates herself for it).

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 23, 2015