Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Not as good as Daredevil; I'd give Jones a B-

Things I liked:

Everything about Kilgrave. I liked how his wasn't just effortless Professor X mind control, but there were all these quirks and limitations. He had to keep his thralls on schedules to re-update the control, seemed to work with small teams rotating people out, etc.

How characters who intellectually know that it is Kilgrave's, not those under his spell's, fault for doing the horrible things they do, but completely reverse that when it happens to them. Trish and Luke especially.

Things I didnt like:

Super flabby - about 3 episodes too long and I found myself bored and tuning out in the later episodes. The hermetic chamber would have been a fine showdown, but then Kilgrave escapes and we have 3 more episodes of cat and mouse which completely saps any momentum.

While I liked that the they didn't focus on the superpowers too much, when they did, it was done badly. Outside of subtle cool touches like Jessica tearing off a padlock with her hands, her powers were really inconsistent and horribly executed. All her super jumps were a close up of her feet jumping, then a cheap looking cut away to her scrambling onto a rooftop; all the fights didn't look like a very powerful person dominating normals but rather bad wire work and stuntmen over selling it. I think the actress for Jones just isn't very naturally athletic and it makes it hard to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget this is also the women who took the fetus for medical reasons, as she wanted to see if the power could be replicate.

Lack of Comprehension leads to proving points and it's fantastic.

Serf
May 5, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

He could have also deleted it.

This too.

Drythe posted:

Even more-so, she had to of asked Hogarth tom come there! She probably would have done that via text!

A) She used to other phone to contact Hogarth

B) She called Hogarth.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

the police also know something was wrong but couldn't prove it at the station since the tapes were deleted. However there's a million programs to recover deleted files for free available. I use them all the time at work. A police station would have some kind of it department. Things like this bug the poo poo out of me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Except a big thing was it was not until episode 9 She was afraid that his powers would work on her, and she wanted Hope to get out of jail. Before Hope died and the poo poo with her lawyer they were going to be able to get him in a semi-legal way

it's called a gun or rifle. or at least don't stop Simpson from doing it if you can't do it yourself.

or someone who doesn't understand English :v:

NecroMonster posted:

And Jessica never had any loving clue about that.

no one had any clue about that because it was absolutely retarded and came out of nowhere

NecroMonster posted:

Anyway, I really do have to say, the "I would not have made that mistake!" is just about one of my all time favorite criticism of any sort of entertainment ever and I really want to hear more of it.

:allears:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

While I liked that the they didn't focus on the superpowers too much, when they did, it was done badly. Outside of subtle cool touches like Jessica tearing off a padlock with her hands, her powers were really inconsistent and horribly executed. All her super jumps were a close up of her feet jumping, then a cheap looking cut away to her scrambling onto a rooftop; all the fights didn't look like a very powerful person dominating normals but rather bad wire work and stuntmen over selling it. I think the actress for Jones just isn't very naturally athletic and it makes it hard to buy.

Jessica isn't a trained fighter. She pretty much gets her rear end handed to her the few times she goes up against powered individuals and I'd be pissed if she did become a unarmed combat master halfway through the season because that isn't who Jessica is.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

Jessica isn't a trained fighter. She pretty much gets her rear end handed to her the few times she goes up against powered individuals and I'd be pissed if she did become a unarmed combat master halfway through the season because that isn't who Jessica is.

It isn't about her level of training. The action scenes were just shot poorly with a lot of quick cuts and poor stuntwork / direction.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I love the "get someone who doesn't understand English" plan so much

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Terrible Horse posted:

all the fights didn't look like a very powerful person dominating normals but rather bad wire work and stuntmen over selling it. I think the actress for Jones just isn't very naturally athletic and it makes it hard to buy.

I took it as her holding back. When her and Luke fought, they were throwing each other threw walls and stuff. My favorite part of the show was her ending the Nuke fight by shoving his head through an air conditioner unit and dropping a fridge of him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

The pacing of this show is kinda weird. I liked the front half of the season more. I would've liked if they'd had more episodes where Jessica does actual, ya know, PI work? But most of the time it's just Kilgrave is captured, escapes, gets captured again, etc

The first real confrontation with Kilgrave should've come way later in the season imo.

Still need to finish episode 12, because I need to take my time with this show otherwise it'd be just too much, but I can see a lot of the seams in the writing regarding the plot in the last couple of episodes. Like an artificial need to lengthen the proceedings, so throw in random plot obstacle to slow things down. On the other hand, its also resulted in more dense dialogue/confrontation scenes, which is this show's forte. The highlight for me regarding this was Ep 8,at Jessica's home. There was so much going on, so much text and sub-text regarding every loving word that I was completely entranced by it. It was more action packed, to me, than Daredevil destroying a dozen dudes. Which is also fun.

Oh, and I actually liked Nuke's plotling. There was a lot to disect there as well.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

notthegoatseguy posted:

I dont mean it looked bad because she wasn't doing ninja Daredevil poo poo. I mean it looked badly choreographed and shot; it (and the jumps, especially) looked silly.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Drythe posted:

the police also know something was wrong but couldn't prove it at the station since the tapes were deleted. However there's a million programs to recover deleted files for free available. I use them all the time at work. A police station would have some kind of it department. Things like this bug the poo poo out of me.

Why would they waste time and effort digging up video files of a hilarious joke that clearly no one wants to talk about. The willful ignorance exhibited by Clemons and the discomfort displayed by all of Kilgrave's victims indicates to me that people don't want to think about it. The support group does so because they are a support group. I mean look at Jacket Guy. He just gave Kilgrave his jacket and it leaves him pretty disturbed. Enough to come forward with his story, no matter how banal it is. Is he playing it up because, like Jessica's neighbor it makes him feel important or is he seriously shaken by this simple act? I lean towards the latter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shageletic posted:

Still need to finish episode 12, because I need to take my time with this show otherwise it'd be just too much, but I can see a lot of the seams in the writing regarding the plot in the last couple of episodes. Like an artificial need to lengthen the proceedings, so throw in random plot obstacle to slow things down. On the other hand, its also resulted in more dense dialogue/confrontation scenes, which is this show's forte. The highlight for me regarding this was Ep 8,at Jessica's home. There was so much going on, so much text and sub-text regarding every loving word that I was completely entranced by it. It was more action packed, to me, than Daredevil destroying a dozen dudes. Which is also fun.

Oh, and I actually liked Nuke's plotling. There was a lot to disect there as well.

Nuke's entire plot is mocking everyone who says WHY DON'T THEY JUST KILL HIM and it's fantastic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Serf posted:

Why would they waste time and effort digging up video files of a hilarious joke that clearly no one wants to talk about. The willful ignorance exhibited by Clemons and the discomfort displayed by all of Kilgrave's victims indicates to me that people don't want to think about it. The support group does so because they are a support group. I mean look at Jacket Guy. He just gave Kilgrave his jacket and it leaves him pretty disturbed. Enough to come forward with his story, no matter how banal it is. Is he playing it up because, like Jessica's neighbor it makes him feel important or is he seriously shaken by this simple act? I lean towards the latter.

He also told him to delete all the files. They will make sure that the files are gone. They have to follow it to the letter.

quote:

no one had any clue about that because it was absolutely retarded and came out of nowhere

It didn't since we know Hope was raped and it sort of was the thing that made the entire final act happen

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It isn't about her level of training. The action scenes were just shot poorly with a lot of quick cuts and poor stuntwork / direction.

Most of the action wasn't very good but I thought that two fights were good: the first bar fight in 02 and the Luke/Jessica fight in 12.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I don't want to read through the thread and find spoilers, but in a really vague sense can someone answer does this show wrap up it's story arc, or is everyone stuck waiting for a season 2?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

notthegoatseguy posted:

1x01

She even gets dominated by Trish in that first episode, she pretty much relies on her strength to carry her through and has very little finesse.

But like the man said, that has nothing to do with how bad the fight scenes are. You can absolutely make compelling and interesting fight scenes out of a slow clumsy brawler, if the direction and fight choreography are good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LibbyM posted:

I don't want to read through the thread and find spoilers, but in a really vague sense can someone answer does this show wrap up it's story arc, or is everyone stuck waiting for a season 2?

No I'd say it gets wrapped up pretty well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LibbyM posted:

Yes it wraps up the Killgrave story arc. There are hooks for Season 2 like what Daredevil did.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Sounds good to me, thanks for replying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LibbyM posted:

It ends.

There are other minor threads opened up that could lead to a season 2, or can be resolved in Defenders or something.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

LibbyM posted:

Very vague ending non-spoilers

The story arc comes to a reasonable conclusion. Season 2 is set up only in a broad sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't completely blow the ending like Daredevil if that's what you're worried about.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

He also told him to delete all the files. They will make sure that the files are gone. They have to follow it to the letter.

It's super loving hard to delete files to the point you can't recover them and we'll beyond what a cop can do/would have access to.

If it was a one off thing fine, but that excuse is raised so many times at so many different places it'd annoying.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wait, you're saying Jessica doesn't get a totally sweet new costume that makes her look like a third grader going out on Halloween whose parents are too poor to afford the good stuff?

edit: obligatory

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I really wanted to see her in Trish's hilariously awful costume, at least once

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I didn't like was (latter half spoilers) was the vaccine stuff. Mainly because I think that delving into the mechanics of how Kilgrave's power works is a mistake, and feels out of place in the extremely grounded world that JJ was operating in. While it was interesting to use the power increasing stuff as a plot device to create tension in the end, the vaccine stuff, really all the stuff around her keeping Kilgrave in that prison really bogged the show down and didn't do much to serve the themes of the show. I think structurally a better layout would've been to spend the first six or seven episodes doing a case-of-the-week kind of format and then the latter half devoted to the Kilgrave stuff. Of course, who can blame them for wanting Tennant in it as much as possible, especially since he won't be back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drythe posted:

It's super loving hard to delete files to the point you can't recover them and we'll beyond what a cop can do/would have access to.

If it was a one off thing fine, but that excuse is raised so many times at so many different places it'd annoying.

Cops have guns and screwdrivers.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Cops have guns and screwdrivers.

That's not how servers work :qq:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drythe posted:

That's not how servers work :qq:

Sure they do. Eventually.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So, was there a Stan Lee sighting in this show? Because if so, than I didn't find it :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ApeHawk posted:

So, was there a Stan Lee sighting in this show? Because if so, than I didn't find it :(

Same picture as from DD can be seen in some of the police station scenes

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

You guys might wanna stop arguing with the guy who is levying a complaint as silly as "but no really guys they could have ran hard drive recovery tools to get the deleted files back." about a TV show.

And this is speaking as someone who used to do data recovery and stuff for outright broken and damaged drives, not just deleted files.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dexo posted:

Nuke's entire plot is mocking everyone who says WHY DON'T THEY JUST KILL HIM and it's fantastic.

Yeah its very cleverly subverting the trope of action man doing WHAT IT TAKES to save the day. Loved that very much.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes, it is totally out of left field that the ruthless amoral pragmatist lawyer who practically salivated at the thought of harnessing Kilgrave's ability for herself would opportunistically sequester his genetic material for study.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

End Spoilers

There are literally only two characters in the series that knew about it though. Jeri herself, and the doctor in the jail that gave it to her.

No one else knew she kept the aborted fetus to see about mimicking his powers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

End Spoilers

There are literally only two characters in the series that knew about it though. Jeri herself, and the doctor in the jail that gave it to her.

No one else knew she kept the aborted fetus to see about mimicking his powers.

Well, Kilgrave and his dad knew. They were using the stem cells from the fetus to enhance his powers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zoux posted:

Well, Kilgrave and his dad knew. They were using the stem cells from the fetus to enhance his powers.

Not until she told him. I meant before Jeri cut the wire.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah ok, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
:siren: 72 hours have now passed :siren: