Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

randomcommoner posted:

Noone gives a poo poo about cutscenes in a game unless its blizzard. The "speech" cinematic could've been substituted by two full minutes of goatse and it'd have been an improvement, plus it looks like it's gonna have lots of those unskippable go find someone to talk to then tour the station for the other dipshits with cringeworthy dialogue. Like I'd pay 30 bucks for a fun space shooter campaign but if I have to bear a story on the level of crobberst wing commander movie they can go gently caress themselves.

And realistically, after playing through the Legacy of the Void campaign, I'm about over Blizzard's cutscenes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Animation of a whale giving himself a hug while saying "it's just an alpha, it's just an alpha"

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

And realistically, after playing through the Legacy of the Void campaign, I'm about over Blizzard's cutscenes too.

Heresy.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man, I love StarCraft as much as anybody else, but you can't tell me the guy who wrote LotV shouldn't have had his keyboard taken away. Everything was really pretty, but holy poo poo was that writing bad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

quote:

Mike Meaden (Cloud Imperium Games)

Nov 23, 10:39

Hey everyone,

This is just a quick update to let you all know that we still have your refund request in our queues and that we have spent some extra time today implementing some updates that should make it a little easier and faster to respond and take necessary actions.

Please note that refunds are still very involved and can take considerable time to process.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.

Thanks,
Mike

The title of my CS ticket is "Moderation Request", I guess they're getting hit pretty hard.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Man, I love StarCraft as much as anybody else, but you can't tell me the guy who wrote LotV shouldn't have had his keyboard taken away. Everything was really pretty, but holy poo poo was that writing bad.

I thought it was good. Sure, some moments made me cringe, but generally I really enjoyed it. I mean sure, I expected more after SC1/BW, but I still can't think of anything better in recent years.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Amun Khonsu posted:

Well wtf ever happened to the BDSSE then? It would then be more like the MMSSE (most mediocre space sim ever). Is this then a measure of success or failure?

you're an idiot

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Iglocska posted:

I thought it was good. Sure, some moments made me cringe, but generally I really enjoyed it. I mean sure, I expected more after SC1/BW, but I still can't think of anything better in recent years.

I had actually just wrapped up playing through Vanilla/BW again when LotV dropped. LotV did not compare favorably, at all. But then again, it's more StarCraft so I can't bitch too much.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I had actually just wrapped up playing through Vanilla/BW again when LotV dropped. LotV did not compare favorably, at all. But then again, it's more StarCraft so I can't bitch too much.

SC/BW was much darker in tone, but LotV really had its moments (Zeratul's scene, the cave with Kerrigan and Artanis, etc). Also I personally liked the ending, cheesy as hell but at least it managed to tie up the loose ends.

Also, as you said, more StarCraft is more StarCraft.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

They're in the new office, so should be fun to see if there is another tour after they've bought/moved everything.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
cool, he just has to peak over his monitor for a view of Ortwin making shady business deals all day.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is a lit Razer keyboard vital for coding?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Discord Voice and Text Chat for PTU 2.0 Testers

quote:

Hi all,
Apologies for making a hash out of this one, but I finally sorted out the permanent, non-expiring Discord link for voice and text chat for PTU 2.0 testing.

https://discord.gg/0dOJaNbubQie6CZN
Feel free to share, I promise this won't expire! :)

As far as updates, we're still triaging today. I don't want to speculate on additional builds or updates until we've gotten further in, but as soon as we have information on this, we'll share with you.

Thanks everyone, -WL

I'm sharing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Chalks posted:

I dunno, I mean everyone hypes their game up to some degree and it never really lives up to it. SC is one of the most egregious examples of failing to control expectations but I'm not sure that means they should be held to them any more than anyone else.

No, I think it is categorically different.

I would agree that SC should be held similarly accountable if Spore, Diakatana, Fable et al had had significant, operating cash shops before the game was finished, and were charging tens, hundreds or thousands of dollars for items. They didn't and weren't. In having the funding model where you buy ships (no quotation marks needed around "buy", if they're charging VAT you are buying it) for insane sums, and in hyping those ships, creating false scarcity, having "holiday sales" and so on, they are doing something very different, much more manipulative and much nastier than just saying a game that's coming out is going to be good when it's actually poo poo. People are buying things they can't afford and are getting deeply emotionally and financially invested in an impossible dream. You can call these people idiots. Sure, they probably are. But they're still people, and they don't deserve to be ripped off by a borderline conman who can't control his ego.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

I still can't think of anything better in recent years.
uh what

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

alphabettitouretti posted:

I was going to help some kids in Africa get clean water or save some endangered species but then I came to my senses and realised that no, this chubby failed director who dreams of space needs my money even more. This is right and just.

Lol if you don't realize the root cause of Africa's problems are political not financial

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The title of my CS ticket is "Moderation Request", I guess they're getting hit pretty hard.

When did you first submit your ticket?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kikkelivelho posted:

thinking about it, the ship designs in general are absolutely horrible. Many ships have interiors that are too small for normal FPS movement (and thus require transition animations). Some of them were clearly made without clear guidelines (the Cutlass has big red buttons that operate all the doors and systems, a feature that exist in no other ship). Most of the interiors are either massive wastes of space (that bomber ship thing) or they come from the large segmented tube school of design (constellation, freelancer). They really should've made the interiors first to make sure everything fits and that normal movement is possible throughout the ship.

Here is the problem.

The concepts get drawn and which very little insight or input as to how the internals will be built.

Modelers then have to later figure that out from the concepts. Usually months later down the road.

Yes; it's a mess.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Danknificent posted:

Serious post: in my days of casually looking at occasional SC media, I have three (3) times seen this slow, stiff, sad animation to sit down in a chair and take command of a ship.

I'm literally sick of it after seeing it three times as an observer who has the option to skip ahead or tab away. If I had to deal with that in the actual game, that would be a meaningful quality of life issue.

Real talk. It's not like SC is presenting us with a shortage of evidence of questionable design decisions, but this sticks out to me as one of the most egregious - after all, what is a more core part of your space game than sitting down in your space chair to drive your space ship? If you can't even get that right, where do you stand?

Yes. It's like cut-scenes. Except you can't skip them.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is a lit Razer keyboard vital for coding?

Obviously.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"One Laptop Per Child Soldier…which unfortunately became one thousand laptops per warlord.”

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alphabettitouretti posted:

Hey, Croberts has done it before.

Oh wait

That doesn't sound good but I'm sure

It's fine everything is fine

Ah.

Remember, there is a reason that I've been making so much noise since July :)

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Agrajag posted:

if bought out the thousands of dollars spent of multiple jpegs are gone. there is a 100% chance that whoever bought it out will make massive massive cuts to get anything out the door and everything that was promised during their crowdfunding outside of kickstarter is void.

Anyone who buys this project is absolutely on the hook for any of the pre-existing sales and other obligations. The only way those obligations could be voided is through court approval, which would never happen. The only instance I can think of off the top of my head where liabilities were stricken for a sale was with the GM bailout. When GM was bailed out, it was technically taken over and assumed by a new company also named GM, and a Federal Court had to very specifically approve that the liabilities be decoupled. It was only done because it was decided that preserving the existence of a major auto maker was hugely important to the nation for numerous reasons. It required the involvement of the President and Congress. It was still a contentious decision. All these years later, there are still lawsuits being filed about those liabilities being removed. No court in the land will take that kind of action to preserve the production of a video game.

Nobody else will ever buy this project, it is completely toxic. CIG is stuck with it. If they can't pull it off, bankruptcy is the only way out.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

randomcommoner posted:

Noone gives a poo poo about cutscenes in a game unless its blizzard. The "speech" cinematic could've been substituted by two full minutes of goatse and it'd have been an improvement, plus it looks like it's gonna have lots of those unskippable go find someone to talk to then tour the station for the other dipshits with cringeworthy dialogue. Like I'd pay 30 bucks for a fun space shooter campaign but if I have to bear a story on the level of crobberst wing commander movie they can go gently caress themselves.

Phantom pain cutscenes can be pretty good

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For even more entertainment, ponder the idea of charging $1 for 1000 space bux when a glorified golf cart costs 15,000.

What is entertaining is 15 dollar space golf carts are more real and playable than 2000 2500 dollar space destroyers, in a game, that is about flying in space.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Any ship that you get is a token gift to you for donating money for them, whoever doesn't agree with this is an idiot.

Yeah sure, whatever

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hello future shitlords. I am at the end of the thread now. Soonish™ you will be too.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Alright I am going to buy my way into the game. What package should I purchase?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

stuxracer posted:

All of them?!?

loving casuals

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

stuxracer posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/War-Pack-Digital that's the best deal imo.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

stuxracer posted:

This one or don't bother

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

PSH you linked him to a casual package.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?

Fatkraken posted:

No, I think it is categorically different.

I would agree that SC should be held similarly accountable if Spore, Diakatana, Fable et al had had significant, operating cash shops before the game was finished, and were charging tens, hundreds or thousands of dollars for items. They didn't and weren't. In having the funding model where you buy ships (no quotation marks needed around "buy", if they're charging VAT you are buying it) for insane sums, and in hyping those ships, creating false scarcity, having "holiday sales" and so on, they are doing something very different, much more manipulative and much nastier than just saying a game that's coming out is going to be good when it's actually poo poo. People are buying things they can't afford and are getting deeply emotionally and financially invested in an impossible dream. You can call these people idiots. Sure, they probably are. But they're still people, and they don't deserve to be ripped off by a borderline conman who can't control his ego.

not saying you are wrong, but i don't think it was planned that way.

The monster grew and was fed by the insane it now devours.

So yes, i think you are wrong in that these people deserve to be ripped off by their own creation. like frankenstein.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
can't wait for the release date announcement

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Anyone who buys this project is absolutely on the hook for any of the pre-existing sales and other obligations. The only way those obligations could be voided is through court approval, which would never happen. The only instance I can think of off the top of my head where liabilities were stricken for a sale was with the GM bailout. When GM was bailed out, it was technically taken over and assumed by a new company also named GM, and a Federal Court had to very specifically approve that the liabilities be decoupled. It was only done because it was decided that preserving the existence of a major auto maker was hugely important to the nation for numerous reasons. It required the involvement of the President and Congress. It was still a contentious decision. All these years later, there are still lawsuits being filed about those liabilities being removed. No court in the land will take that kind of action to preserve the production of a video game.

Nobody else will ever buy this project, it is completely toxic. CIG is stuck with it. If they can't pull it off, bankruptcy is the only way out.

Yup. Exactly what I've said as well. It is a massive liability for them and and the only bail out is through independent investment sources. Short of that, it's bankruptcy.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Absolutely awful writing. Its like they hired one of the SA front page guys to do it and then payed them up front, half in coke and half in laxatives.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jaffyjaffy posted:

When did you first submit your ticket?

October 9, day after I was permaprobated.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ROTFLMAO!! You bad, bad, man :)

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

His face...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Here is the problem.

The concepts get drawn and which very little insight or input as to how the internals will be built.

Modelers then have to later figure that out from the concepts. Usually months later down the road.

Yes; it's a mess.

Star Citizen is what you get when function follows form.

• Locked thread