Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AP posted:

They're in the new office, so should be fun to see if there is another tour after they've bought/moved everything.

i like how his desk looks like its made from pieces of wood you would find in an alley

while fatty and the harpy get to use their 3k airplane wing desk for their stupid show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

quote:

EUROGAMER: Inside Star Citizen's grey market
(9/10/2014)

...Roberts' vision for all of this is that it occurs inside the game - on in-universe. But really we shouldn't be surprised that Star Citizen trading has already established itself outside of it. By manufacturing the rarity of these ships CIG has inflated their perceived value.

Perceived is the operative word here. Unlike say, CCP's Eve Online, which has a working, well-established universe in which players invest a huge amount of time gathering resources in order to manufacture ships that can be used, right now, in huge space battles or to fuel a complex game of virtual politics, Star Citizen currently trades off of pie in the sky economics. Until the persistent universe is up and running, there are no game mechanics involved in determining the rarity of ships. They're rare because CIG says they are.

"It's kind of cool in the fact it's real-world economics at work," Roberts says of Star Citizen's grey market.

"But it wasn't intentional. It fell out of something we did as a creative design decision to make sure the persistent universe isn't unbalanced."

For now, then, Star Citizen's grey market rumbles on, services such as Kane's Megastore continue to thrive, and the money keeps on flooding into CIG's coffers. The Roberts Space Industries website tracker shows how much money is being made on an hourly basis. I'm looking at it now and in the last hour players spent $6836. On 27th September 2014 $451,701 was made. For the whole of September just over $2.7m boosted the bank balance. Roberts tells me Star Citizen will be finished - in that it'll be feature complete and stuck together to form a cohesive whole - at some point in 2016. I remember a video game developer once telling me it may be in Roberts' best interest never to release Star Citizen, the way things are going.

"The party has to end sometime," Nigel says. "But the game seems a long way off, so I expect things to last."

-----

Star Citizen Trades

[DISCUSS] Houston Do We Have a Problem?

►►► STAR Hangar ◄◄◄ ∙the∙ place to buy or sell ships! - Massive price drop!

quote:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We are currently reviewing all commissions based on the current market changes and will contact every partner through 'StarHangarCommission' to adjust prices accordingly.
[WTS] Idris M LTI (giftable) $2990...

quote:

[–] rotsihylop 1 day ago
are you getting out of SC or still want to make some profit? I might pay $1000 including fee for the Idris M.

[–] OSUBUCKEYE2013 1 day ago
I paid $2500+

[–] rotsihylop 1 day ago
well price went up and fall down very hard now, I will wait for future discounted package that includes Idris M, good luck with the price you are asking for...
Having a dickens of a time selling my account-bound M for $1999...

quote:

[–] Citizen4Life 11 days ago
Which just shows how bad things are right now, IMHO. I used to be able to sell Idris-P accounts with nothing on them for $2300 (and they sold fast, as that was on the low end). M's were going for upwards of 5k at their height.

Recently I sold my original backer account with EVERYTHING you could possibly want. All extras, badges, 14k spent, 31 months of paid Imperator subscription, and Idris-P and Physical Collector's edition Colonel pack with S. Hornet upgrade. I sold it at a LOSS. I couldn't even get 2k for it, when even a few months ago I would have gotten at LEAST 3k.

It's definitely a buyer's market these days, but I'm utterly amazed at the hit that Idris and even other limited ships have taken.

There are a lot of factors, but I think that everyone that still wanted an Idris bought that War pack that was just sold for 2.5k. When you added up the cost of the Idris and all the other ships, it actually came out to be a SAVINGS over buying the ships individually. Anyone who didn't already have one but had the money bought those up ASAP, and there was no limit.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

what's the point of buying all these ships anyway? dont you play games to, you know, like get better stuff and whatnot? If I started a game with the best stuff available I'd probably play for a few minutes and then be like oh this is boring and quit.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My refund just came through after almost two months. I can finally breathe easy I guess. Since this was money already spent, I decided to at least do something useful with a chunk of it and holy poo poo I'm free!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

October 9, day after I was permaprobated.

So are you actually asking for a refund in your ticket or are you querying their moderation and they're so snowed under they can't even read support requests and just assume everything is a refund?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Oh wow, didn't even notice in the gif I posted that his hand disappear from around the gun. :)

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 23, 2015

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

My refund just came through after almost two months. I can finally breathe easy I guess. Since this was money already spent, I decided to at least do something useful with a chunk of it and holy poo poo I'm free!

somebody should set up a website so people who donated to starcitizen can push their refunds into certain charities. It could keep track of how much money was refunded and raised for real issues.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Stealth Like posted:

what's the point of buying all these ships anyway? dont you play games to, you know, like get better stuff and whatnot? If I started a game with the best stuff available I'd probably play for a few minutes and then be like oh this is boring and quit.

The idea is (if they don't mess it up of course...) that no matter which ship you start with, it will be poo poo since you'll have crappy equipment. Sure, with ships doing the same thing (for example a Hull B vs a Hull C or whatever the bigger transport is), the bigger will be better from the get go, but most of the ships have distinct roles and advantages where the expensive equipment will be the progression curve.

Of course I bet they will prove me wrong in the end and the more expensive ships will be flat out better, but let's hope not :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You mean the insane speculative market of re-selling hypothetical digital goods for an unreleased space game turned out to be incredibly volatile? I am shocked and dismayed.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Distinct roles in what? Crashing to desktop?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
god forbid people play a game with the lovely starter ship first and play the game to get better stuff.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
there's no game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chalks posted:

So are you actually asking for a refund in your ticket or are you querying their moderation and they're so snowed under they can't even read support requests and just assume everything is a refund?

I asked that if the ban was upheld that they refund the remainder of the one year subscription I had purchased in April, since they had unfairly removed the majority of the subscription's value by removing my ability to ask 104TC questions.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jst0rm posted:

god forbid people play a game with the lovely starter ship first and play the game to get better stuff.

Nobody wants to play the crappiest ships though. Though maybe starting with an Eagle in Elite:Dangerous is what ruined all the fun for me... :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I asked that if the ban was upheld that they refund the remainder of the one year subscription I had purchased in April, since they had unfairly removed the majority of the subscription's value by removing my ability to ask 104TC questions.

Just the subscription? You're not getting out out? Or did you already?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
is like they are selling contra cheat codes to people for thousands of dollars.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

You mean the insane speculative market of re-selling hypothetical digital goods for an unreleased space game turned out to be incredibly volatile? I am shocked and dismayed.
I actually think the volatility is going to recede with the commoditization of former limited-edition ships. The real volatility will re-center in the Trouble Ticket queue at CIG-- as more and more space whales force them to refund heap big bucks on ships deceptively sold as "exclusives" and "one time sale only" autism chariots...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

I actually think the volatility is going to recede with the commoditization of former limited-edition ships. The real volatility will re-center in the Trouble Ticket queue at CIG-- as more and more space whales force them to refund heap big bucks on ships deceptively sold as "exclusives" and "one time sale only" autism chariots...

Yeah but if you time it right you might be able to make a killing by investing in "Are you sure" emails and then dumping them right before the last of the whales gets out and the market crashes.

Maybe even enough to afford that Completionist Pack....

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
AnniVERSEary Sale: Racers

They missed a trick not having an expensive number limited luxury racer, possibly going to fall further behind on 500k/day.

(VAT 20% on above price.)

AP fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 23, 2015

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

It is the two part issue of firstly, a lack of confidence in CIG marketing and the realisation that nothing is rare - the "investors" (who intend to sell) have backed off leaving a cooled market, and secondly, the fact that LTI is dead, as any ship can be CCU'd into it. The final blow will be unmelts, where you can press a button, get any LTI ship back on your account. The latter is more influential than the former however - look at the Melt prices - they are still sitting at about 80-85% which is typical. When that collapses - CIG really does have a problem.

The article is worth a read, but was back in the hightide of the grey market.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AP posted:

They missed a trick not having an expensive number limited luxury racer, possibly going to fall further being on 500k/day.

i like the "in stock" part of that jpeg

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Jethro_E7 posted:

The article is worth a read, but was back in the hightide of the grey market.

That Nigel guy in the article sounds like an insufferable dick.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah but if you time it right you might be able to make a killing by investing in "Are you sure" emails and then dumping them right before the last of the whales gets out and the market crashes.

Maybe even enough to afford that Completionist Pack....
Nah...

I paid for the $10 Goon Citizen pack-- and suspect I'm getting considerably more entertainment value than those in the Million Mile High club.

I laugh daily-- whether at PG's transcendent shitposts, or AP's ripostes and animated gifs, Derek's chest-pounding, Nerd shootouts over feasibility issues for a game which will never release as sold, and too many things to count.

I pick up very interesting hearsay, speculation, and hidden CIG history- which is all considerably more interesting than the TV shows I'm watching.

I occasionally break a minor scoop myself, which even makes enduring agonizing chores like "Reverse the Verse" worth it.

And I can take a break and play Fallout 4, Battlefield, Elite or whatever else worth a crap when I want to get my game on. Like hell am I installing Star Citizen right now-- or likely ever.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Whale noises

Ah, we've reached the point where people who bought M's on the grey market are turning around and selling them at thousand-dollar-plus losses. The smart money already got out- now the second wave is taking a haircut to depart. This is the end of the grey market for sure.

Chalks posted:

My prediction is that we're going to see a really amusing flip in position of this forum and the SC die hards when the game eventually comes out. I think people in this thread who have rightly criticised the game might actually end up buying it if it turns out to be a kinda fun space game. They'll probably grief some people and have fun doing it and probably mellow in their attitude towards CIG before moving on to something else. On the other hand, the die hards with their $5,000 investments will become furious with CIG for taking their money and not delivering the next coming of Jesus Christ in spaceship form. Their delusion that CIG could ever deliver this will be diverted into demonisation of CIG for throwing away the opportunity.

I really hope this happens because it'd be funny as hell. But really I don't see the official echo chambers ever being anything but positive. The INN mods are too invested in ingratiating themselves to the CIG community team to really allow it to go negative.

Madcosby posted:

I feel there's a bit of a feeling of defeat by people in this thread with regards to the 2.0 build. Aside from the crashes, 2.0 is relatively a game - it's got ships and quests and destinations to go to.

I think some of the new "recovered" goons are a bit taken aback by this. It suddenly looks like Roberts is getting somewhere with this game.

Do I count as "Recovered?" There was a point where I was really hyped for this product and put some real money into it, and there was a point earlier in the year where I realized (in part through reading these threads) that it was all bullshit, and got my cash out with a tidy profit besides. I don't feel let down that 2.0 appears to be on the path to being a functional game, though. I think a lot of people around here have dug trenches around their positions on one side or the other but I just don't find it necessary. If the game's actually a scam, I want to believe it's a scam. If it's coming out, I want to believe it's coming out. It's not about winning an internet slap fight, in the end, it's about reflecting the truth in my own thoughts. 2.0 was the first action they've taken in ages that made it apparent they were still building something, and I'm trying to be even handed in looking at it. To be honest it is still a far cry from a finished product and anybody putting thousands in now seems like a complete fool. But I don't think it's fair to call it a scam- dishonest, shady, yes, but they do have a game.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 23, 2015

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Iglocska posted:

The idea is (if they don't mess it up of course...) that no matter which ship you start with, it will be poo poo since you'll have crappy equipment. Sure, with ships doing the same thing (for example a Hull B vs a Hull C or whatever the bigger transport is), the bigger will be better from the get go, but most of the ships have distinct roles and advantages where the expensive equipment will be the progression curve.

Of course I bet they will prove me wrong in the end and the more expensive ships will be flat out better, but let's hope not :)

I doubt there's much to worry about. They've nailed everything on the head so far.

I can't wait to be playing the full game next year. What's that saying in development? "The first 10% takes 90% of the time, the last 90% takes 10% of the time"?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I always love when SCitizens discuss the merits of a ship without any indication of the game's design

"The Aurora has Class 4 shields, but the Valkerie has Class 5"

"The Caterpillar will hold a lot more cargo"

"This is the ship if you want to explore the galaxy. It is equipped with tools necessary for deep space exploration"

lol

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Stealth Like posted:

I doubt there's much to worry about. They've nailed everything on the head so far.

I can't wait to be playing the full game next year. What's that saying in development? "The first 10% takes 90% of the time, the last 90% takes 10% of the time"?

Wait, some people bother with the last 10%?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AP posted:

They missed a trick not having an expensive number limited luxury racer, possibly going to fall further behind on 500k/day.

does anyone even race? I know nobody plays arena commander

maybe the big 3.0 update will be races in baby pu

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I can confirm that when asked nicely and repeatedly CIG will:

1. give you a refund (100% value of items), which can be partial and not for full account
2. your account will not be closed
3. refund directly through stripe, even though they prefer paypal
4. dick you around till the minute you promise to do a chargeback

Btw mentioning a chargeback is not enough - you have to commit to a date. They still overshot the date by half a day, but the money was on my account in 48 hours. Now i have to figure out if i can dial back the charge-back request I already issued in the bank - I do not want to deal with this poo poo when it bounces back from CIG with 'already refunded'. Sigh.

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 23, 2015

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Madcosby posted:

I always love when SCitizens discuss the merits of a ship without any indication of the game's design

loving this.

I mean, speculating about new ships is *fun*. Used to do it in EvE all the time. But poo poo, it was game first, speculation second.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

I've figured out that if you "right click and save target as..." you can get the jpegs for fREE

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Has anyone said CiGentology yet?

Also, this:

G0RF posted:

quote:

Recently I sold my original backer account with EVERYTHING you could possibly want. All extras, badges, 14k spent, 31 months of paid Imperator subscription, and Idris-P and Physical Collector's edition Colonel pack with S. Hornet upgrade. I sold it at a LOSS. I couldn't even get 2k for it, when even a few months ago I would have gotten at LEAST 3k.

... just blows my mind. He's sold at a $12,000 loss, and still wants to gamble and play more?...

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 23, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3tx88e/damn_anniversary_sales/cxa1mc4

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AP posted:

Are there going to be racing leagues now? Space Forza only $450+?

Madcosby posted:

I feel there's a bit of a feeling of defeat by people in this thread with regards to the 2.0 build. Aside from the crashes, 2.0 is relatively a game - it's got ships and quests and destinations to go to.

It's a fancy model viewer that let's you no-clip around. Any person who can't see that is delusional.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeah he's making a statement all right.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

To be honest it is still a far cry from a finished product and anybody putting thousands in now seems like a complete fool. But I don't think it's fair to call it a scam- dishonest, shady, yes, but they do have a game.
I think it's fairer to say that Chris & Sandi are dishonest and shady-- yet they still may manage to release a game in spite of themselves...

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Nice username/post combo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

IBCerberus - Grand Admiral posted:

A lot of times, it will have little to do with the game itself. It sounds like those guys have vested a lot of time money into EVE Star Citizen, and as a result they are "better" at it then most, so they can lord it over others. They stare down the (possibly) years thousands that they have invested, and do not want to have to go through it again in another game, starting from scratch. As such, it is much easier for them to trash any other game, than admit that they have spent so much time on something that, at the end of the day, no one will really care about. It's just a game after all. All empires fall, even digital ones. Have fun while it lasts, and hopefully something will be there to replace it when it falls. How long has it been since SWG NRE? :-)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ahh yess PC gaming, that overlooked and neglected $20 billion industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

revmoo posted:

Ahh yess PC gaming, that overlooked and neglected $20 billion industry.

Star Citizen is saving PC gaming.

• Locked thread