Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I like that Harley Davidson is on there twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I think the bolide one conveys the info it intends to relatively clearly though :confused:

What the gently caress is this poo poo right here

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The article in question made sense until this

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

canyoneer posted:

I like that Harley Davidson is on there twice.

Along with my favourite company, Dilbert

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

This came up in class today. I have literally no idea what any of these numbers mean.

I tracked down the original article, McCright and Dunlap 2011 (pdf link), and I guess what happened is that professor copied the numbers from Fig 1 into Excel and then made a scaled bar chart, somehow picking one of the worst possible ways to represent that data.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
That doesn't seem so bad to me, but I do have to wonder why literally every answer is "global warming is probably bullshit".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cmndstab posted:

That doesn't seem so bad to me, but I do have to wonder why literally every answer is "global warming is probably bullshit".

Presumably there were other statements in the original survey that weren't included in the chart because they weren't relevant to the professor's point.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

cmndstab posted:

But those totals don't add up to anything consistent and the point he wanted to make would gave been better served by having 3 bars/question instead of stacking and scaling them which suggests the total of the 3 fractions adds up to a consistent value.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Also the dumb typos that are just about everywhere. If I'd handed that in I would have been chewed out something awful.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Drowning In Terror posted:

Also the dumb typos that are just about everywhere. If I'd handed that in I would have been chewed out something awful.

If you had handed it in, you would have been chewed out on Something Awful.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Wow is that a pie *and* bar chart at once?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
That makes it twice as informative.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Others

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Reptiloids. :tinfoil:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I have literally been otherised by that graph.

:tumblr:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

ABORTION

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well poo poo, nobody dies of old age / natural causes in the US? Or any other diseases. Golly, maybe you yanks are onto something.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Or murder, suicide, deaths by other diseases...

gently caress, if abortions are what make this semi-utopia possible, then open the blood wombs!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Also. The three non abortion causes of death total 1,301,000 deaths, but take up more area than the 1,600,000 abortions.

The graph sucks on every level.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The graph is misrepresenting the relative sizes, but not in favor of the point they're trying to make. Good job.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Regalingualius posted:

Or murder, suicide, deaths by other diseases...

Well technically suicide can be considered as a really late stage abortion, And well you never plan to get murdered so it could be ruled accidental on your part. For that matter, you don't plan on dying from disease so that might be ruled accidental too.

Graph makes prefect sense.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

:ohdear: Oh no Hillary, don't tell me the corruption charges are true!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Biffmotron posted:

This came up in class today. I have literally no idea what any of these numbers mean.

I'm the misspelling of 'occurring'

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkwood_gap

What are units? What is the x-axis? What is this?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dunno about the X-axis, but it says AU right on there. That's a unit.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Yeah, looks like both distance and resonance is in AU, but only one is marked and there are two Y axes for some reason, even though it's the same scale? X could be gap number or something, I think it's just supposed to show them in order. It's a pretty awful graph allright.

quote:

Source: Own work

:wikipedia:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's only one Y-axis; it's the same numbers on either side. That's pretty standard. I'm not saying it's a good graph (it's not), but it's at least somewhat legible.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
But... Doesn't that legend imply that one axis is distance route sun in kirkwood gaps and the other axis is jovian resonance? This is not at all what the graph is.

I don't even know what the y is on there.

He might have wanted to show how resonance decreases as distance increases but ooh boy did he fail if that's what he wanted to do.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Fathis Munk posted:

He might have wanted to show how resonance decreases as distance increases but ooh boy did he fail if that's what he wanted to do.

I study that stuff professionally, and I have no idea what that plot is trying to say.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Letmebefrank posted:

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkwood_gap

What are units? What is the x-axis? What is this?

The blue line is the distance from the sun, axis on the right

The red line is which orbital resonance it is, axis on the left

Example:
The third pair of dots occurs with the red dot at 3,5 and the blue dot is around 2,3. Thus, a 3,5:1 orbital resonance with Jupiter (or a 7:2 orbital resonance) is around 2,3 AU

These really should have plotted in XY, but it is saying something legible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Iron Chef Nex posted:

I study that stuff professionally, and I have no idea what that plot is trying to say.
Same only in past tense. I understand the theory behind the plot, but this representation warrants 25 years to life of ban from scientific visualisation.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's me. I'm the AU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

ducttape posted:

The blue line is the distance from the sun, axis on the right

The red line is which orbital resonance it is, axis on the left

Example:
The third pair of dots occurs with the red dot at 3,5 and the blue dot is around 2,3. Thus, a 3,5:1 orbital resonance with Jupiter (or a 7:2 orbital resonance) is around 2,3 AU

These really should have plotted in XY, but it is saying something legible.

What loving way of plotting things is that?

You'd think someone with that background in science should know he should have used a loving xy graph. Like the simplest graph in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Give me double y axes or give me death.