Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

booksnake posted:

Well, they're called Remnants, so I'd really have to go with "mad science of a past civilization" even if that might be a bit cliche

Pretty weird comment by Ghor, on that note. It's wrong on principle to want to create Remnants...? Why does wanting to make a Remnant make you a fool? It's not like they're all rear end in a top hat types like the sword.

Well from Ghor's perspective, in the last year he's watched the insanity with the Conqueror go down and has seen hearts twisted by Remnants, while he himself uses one in combat, that is eating away at his life and existence until he's done. While remnants bring prosperity and protect people, it's also true that they must be appeased lest they collapse and wipe out a town. While necessary, from his perspective it's best if the power to say... create something that can wipe out a city, be not created. Think of it like the A-Bomb. If people could make their own remnants, things might escalate further.

Another perspective to look at is that he's a warrior king. Of course he'd think it foolish to spend your time trying to create a remnant rather than build yourself up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Progress continues to be made on the update. I won't promise tomorrow, but Tuesday seems likely at the latest.

Also,

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Why do you think Remnants exist?

Music: The Known World

A lot of travelling in this update, so you get the world map music.

First a real quick stop in the first room of the catacombs to snag the upgrade material Darien wanted. We’re actually very nearly done with all materials hunting entirely. Pretty much everyone wants stuff which only drops from the bonus dungeon, which I can’t get at quite yet. Back up to the surface and…

With my incredible and awe-inspiring skills, I can work as a mercenary and save up a bunch of cash in no time!

It sure seems to take a lot of visits to get Darien to talk. It’s pretty ridiculous actually.

The real reason to be in Elysion though is not for Darien, of course, it’s in the Heavenly Terrace pub.

Someone’s looking for stones? There’s a bunch in the back, if anyone needs any.
Sweet!

Uhh, who’re you again?
You've forgotten? We met at the Academy some time ago...I'm Haruko, Remnant researcher. It's nice to meet you... again.

This is an entirely valid response no matter how you look at it. We last saw her fifty-two updates ago (and over six months of in-game time and 11 months of real time), and even then she only had like 8 lines.

Oh, right, you lied about where my parents were, now I remember!

Quite a lot has happened since I saw you last. I don't work for the Academy anymore, for one. Not being able to participate in the Academy's research is.. well. it hurts a bit. Then again, since being named director, I never had much time for research anyway. In a way, I suppose it works out. So... It seemed the perfect opportunity to take a trip - go off and see the world, and the Remnants in it. Rush, if you know a place that's supposed to have some rare Remnants, tell me, alright? We can search for them together.
Uh, why would I want to do that?
…err. I should go.

And she leaves the pub. We now have to look elsewhere for her.

Soon comes the day I must pass the torch to a young knight, so that they may lead the Order.
Sounds like that’ll be a tough choice.
There are many young, promising knights in Melphina. Even with my departure, the Order will stand strong. Truly, there is no reason for me to hold any doubts…

Nora is here in Melphina’s pub for her one and only sidequest. We’ll get to that one next. Oh boy, it’ll be… fun... :shepicide:

Uh, luck, sure.
I’ve seen a simply brilliant Remnant in Crookfen, to the northeast – the Last Leaf. Its power keeps the evil of the swamp sealed. Without the power of the Remnant, Melphina would be completely overrun with monsters. Truly, Remnants are essential for our very survivial!
Yeah! …except for when they Collapse and summon monsters to kill everyone, I guess.
…I should go.

Awwww…
No, ‘puppy dog eyes’ will not work on me!

Stand on your own two feet!
Harsh, dude.

The future of Athlum lies in your hands. The God Emperor is not a man to be trifled with. Do not let down your guard before him.

I know she says I should have forgotten about her, but I’m certain that she’s wanted me to search for her the whole time. Yes… I’m sure of it. And being tenacious enough to force herself into my consciousness… that definitely seems like Kate.
Uh, okayyyy…
Rush, if it’s alright, I’d like to continue to travel with you. Kate does as well, of course. Please, let me know anytime you need something.

Parameter bonus! You have become chummy with Rhagoh, thus awakening his true powers!

True powers, in his case, being a 5% boost to his intellect. Yay. You’re not coming off the bench, Rhagoh.

Bartendress: Really, what people should be asking is why she was in charge of the Academy in the first place…
Gossipy Girl: The whole thing’s pretty fishy.
Uh, she’s right over there, you know.

Yeah! What are the odds of someone fleein- er, travelling halfway across the continent only to meet the person he just left?
I’m sure you’ve seen the floating stones throughout town many times, right?
Yeah, pretty cool, huh? I tried to find a tourist shop which sold a couple floating pebbles in bottle, but they all just looked at me like I had three heads!
All those little – and sometimes large – rocks make up the Remnant Umbermarici. I wonder how it came to be that so many different physical pieces were recognized as one single Remnant? It’s like empty space means nothing to them…
Spooky.
Those who bind Remnants sacrifice some of their souls in exchange for their use. This means there must be some sort of unseen connection, right? It's easy to only look at the benefits Remnant give us, but... I just can't do this anymore. I have to do what I can to find the whole truth.

Seriously, a floating rock in a little clear bottle would make an excellent souvenir. Science, get on that already, wouldja? Now to Athlum…

Hah, if she’s going to go across the continent, then what if I just go to the closest city? Check, and mate!

Bartender: Rocks, pfft. I’m looking for three wonderful men! That’s something that would be really important to the entire world… or at least the me-part of it.

Gckkk!
So, there used to be a massive sword-shaped Remnant jutting from the town square. It was called the Valeria Heart. But about six months ago, it suddenly disappeared. What could have happened to it?
I think I can make a really good guess...
Rush... Why do you think Remnants exist? Are they meant to serve the world? To serve us? Or do they have some other purpose...?
…I don’t know. But I’ve been thinking about it for a little while now, ever since... I have to go.

Huh.
During Kosmosfest, I felt my powers heighten like never before. I could sense so many Remnants… But once the festival ended, that super power went with it. Maybe… maybe I used too much, so my body needs time to recharge?
Uhh, beats me.
I’m getting really worried. What if this isn’t temporary? What should I do? A Cosmos Maiden needs her powers, you know? Maybe I should go talk to Mistress Marsha… She might know what to do.

We’ll need to talk to Marsha in Melphina to get a hint on how to advance Sheryl’s dialogue, but we can’t actually do the required bit yet.

What’s wrong?
Aight, Rush, time for you to come clean on this Remnant stuff. Howcome you can control ‘em so easy when the rest of us are bustin’ our asses? What’d you do!?
I dunno. It’s just… just a knack I guess.
… Sorry. Didn’t mean to get heated. I know you’re a good kid – look at all the friends you’ve got. I just want an answer. Maybe… maybe we weren’t meant to have control over Remnants after all…
…Maybe, yeah.

Parameter bonus! You have become chummy with Jager, thus awakening his true powers!

That’s a 5% speed bonus in his case.

Okay, now this is just getting spooky.
It’s the Remnant of Fear, Gwayn… Its power was so great and fierce that it razed Nagapur in an instant. This was the first time I’d seen the Gwawyn in person. Seeing it with my own eyes, feeling its presence… All I could think was that Remnants are not meant to be our tools, or even our allies.
More and more people seem to think like that these days.
Like the Gwayn, they may seem quiet, or even to watch over us, but one misstep can bring the full brunt of that terrible power down upon us all... Great power only leads to great destruction. I wonder if we are really meant to live alongside Remnants as we do...

You might think we’d have to go to a new place, but nope, double back to Celapaleis!

Have you ever heard of the mythical Remnant of Darken Forest? Actually, I have some files on the Remnant. I, er, borrowed them from the Academy as I left, so they were sure to be trustworthy.
You stole top-secret docs?
Ahahah, don't worry about that. The Academy has plenty of secret documents left- they won't miss this one.
Uhhh… that wasn’t my point.
So, according to these files, the mythical Remnant, Dead Heart, really does exist. However, only the highest ranked officials in the Academy know of its existence. The files say it has the power to make any ideal into reality... To literally make one's dream come true. It may sound like a tall tale, but if the Academy thought it dangerous enough to hide it completely... There must be something to it- something I want to see for myself. However, Darken Forest is full of dangerous beasts. I will never be able to make it to the Dead Heart alone...
Those files are bad news.
Maybe... but I'm not giving them back. A Remnant with this much power should not be hidden away as the secret plaything of some elite group. I’ll be here a bit longer. If you change your mind about going, let me know.
Ahh, drat it.
I'll go with you.
Thank you, Rush! Somehow, I believed you might help me in this. Alright then, let's go!

Yeah. Way, way too often recently.
Haruko’s Admirer: I seen her 'round here a lot lately. You ain't trying to hook up or anything', are you? Not so long ago, some shady types in black robes came through askin' about her. Looks like she's bad news, I'd advise ya to keep yer hands off.
I’ve been trying, believe me.

Accepted quest: Hearts

Music: Through the Tulgey Wood

It's as if these lost ruins are urging us on- as if they want us to find the Remnant. Could this be the power of the Dead Heart? Come on, Rush. The ruins will show us the way.
I don’t have a good feeling about this place.

In the Celapaleis tavern, Haruko asked me to help her find the Dead Heart, a legendary Remnant with the power to grant wishes. Sounds like a useful trick!

A guest union has joined the party.

This is Haruko, also known as Rhagoh 2.0. Except you get her a lot later and she has even fewer redeeming qualities. I guess she uses huge two-handed weapons, that’s different. She does have the “non-special” tag, though, which means she could be used in certain formations. But would you really want to?

This is a rare monster I found. It died in three turns.

learned Swift Acala’s Wrath V!

So we’re back at the Dead Heart. This is where Irina found the Conqueror. Interestingly, even though the Conqueror seems to be collecting lots of Remnants, he left this one here, even though he obviously knows about it.

Then, this is the Dead Heart... It feels like- like it can see straight into my soul... It... it's unsettling... It's just like the files said... The Remnant has the power to take on the form of what we imagine it to have. And if that's true, then Remnants are our-

I think it's high time you returned those top-secret documents you stole from the Academy, Ms. Former Director. That information was not meant to be spread. However, I think you'll find we've an efficient way of stilling your tongue... forever.
Th-that... how...You can't be... the Third Committee!? ... Then, the rumors of some criminal organization within the Academy were true. So you're the ones hiding information?
You know, curiosity killed the cat... it's only a matter of time before it kills you, too. Thus, no one will find it a surprise when they find your corpse!

Mission: Defeat the enemy!

Music: Beat the Odds

- Quest Video: “Hearts” – Battle 1

We’re up against three boss Third Committee guys and a couple trash mob spiders. I’ll prioritize morale-lowering moves.

We almost took this one out with just one union.

Same tune with this one.

So do you guys ever have nightmares about 2-foot spiders leaping 10 feet in the air and trying to eat your head? …Yeah, me neither. Weird.

We’ll catch them at their flank!

One spider down.

Nice work.

Thankfully, their Dispirit seems to be a lot less dangerous than ours is.

Sometimes weapons and mystics can get multiple hits beyond their base ones. I know formations can have an influence on that, but I’m not sure what else can. It’s only a little extra damage compared to the main hit, but lots of extra hits can add up.

Good job!

I’ll stop you, no matter the cost!

The first Third Committee guy is in critical now.

Oho!

Music: Turn the Tide

Looks like we’ll clean this up with no problem.

One goes down, and the last one enters critical health.

It was a short stay.

And done. That was easy.

learned Restorative Tincture II!
learned Nimble Acala’s Wrath!
learned Caustic Blast II!

- Quest Video: “Hearts” – Battle 2

What are you trying to use Remnants to do!?
Why must our pure ideal of realizing the full potential of how we can use Remnants be limited by visionless fools like you, who deem our actions atrocities?

Suddenly the Dead Heart springs to life.

Remnants... The price of great power is... No... that can't be true. It isn't!

It’s just like what happened to Irina! Except these guys look a lot scarier in their new forms. Well, surprise fight number two!

This one is the REAL fight, the previous one was just the decoy. Morale lowering is again the order of the day.

Acid Mist is a really short-range AoE. Not too scary.

Oh, you got him!

Rush wasn’t fooled by the tail swipe deke and blocked the dragon’s bite attack.

The Mystics union teams up nicely to take down the last crab. Those were just the nuisances, though.

Yeah! This is our big chance!

I outnumber the enemy, which gives me some tactical flexibility. I should avoid fighting Dragon Sertva, because Dragons increase their chances of using their nasty AoE’s when multiple deadlocks are happening. I don’t like the Colossus’s Hammerspin, so I’ll focus on him. Jager will break to heal, so Kate will deadlock in his place.

Nothing really happened this turn.

We will not lose!

I write these commentaries on the fights well after I record them. So by then I’ve mostly forgotten what happens. So at times I say things like “I’m not going to deadlock the dragon with multiple units because I don’t want to trigger its nasty AoE’s”, only to watch Dumb Past Me go ahead and deadlock the dragon. And oh look, a nasty AoE. Thanks, Dumb Past Me, now I have re-write my commentaries.

Music: Struggle Eternal

I really should focus that one down. The Rajas Chimera isn’t nearly as threatening.

Well sure, if this guy goes down first it’ll work too.

Rift Cleaver is an axe-only Combat art. It’s a left slash, a right slash and a downward slash. It’s very powerful even if you don’t have a Remnant axe.

I’m leaving Haruko to get eaten by handle the dragon. She seems to be holding her own just fine.

Oho!

Look at all those extra attacks.

This one’ll leave a mark!

Sometimes Blaster can really screw you over.

That 25k damage from the Spring Squall does it for Rajas too. Just the dragon Sertva left.

Rush will heal, Emmy will clear statuses, but Jager will get to unleash Beowulf.

Music: Struggle Eternal

Haruko goes down, but Rush was already on his way to heal her.

Darn damage resistance.

Finally Sertva is in critical.

Hit him harder!
I meant to do that!

To victory!

Son of a -!

learned Addle V!
learned Restorative Tincture III!
learned Nimble Cascade Strike III!
learned Revitalize IV!

The men-monsters are pacified for now.

Dead Heart! You're the tool of no man! But...you can't use men as tools either! I... I cannot accept such a cruel act!

The Dead Heart responds to Haruko’s plea.

Urgh…

And the monsters are returned to their normal form.

Oh... Yes... that would work. Rush. You have the tablet. don't you? Take this Remnant with you. If you have it, I'm sure we won't have to worry about its misuse.

So immediately after Haruko tells the Dead Heart that it is not the tool of men... she then asks Rush to turn it into a Talisman, making it into an easy-to-use tool for men. ...Uh, okay?

And this is the fifth and final Talisman we can get. Irina requests this one. Obviously if you snatch it up in the short time between Darken Forest and doing Haruko’s quest, you can’t do Haruko’s quest.

The guest union has left the party.

Just because a power is great doesn't mean it's meant to destroy. Power is just power. For good or ill, its result is determined by the bearer. Plus... I'm sure that traveling with you, I'll get to see all sorts of neat new Remnants. That's okay with you... right?
Oh geez, is that the time. Gotta go!

Completed quest: Hearts

I helped out Haruko and got the Dead Heart. Her next goal is to see what we can do in order for people and Remnants to coexist.
Oh yeah, you can have these Academy files. I don’t need them anymore.

“Academy Visistone 43-45” posted:

[The Third Committee 3] Project LO: Usage of a flying Remnant for the military (Lob Omen).
[The Third Committee 4] Project SC: Usage of a giant Remnant for the military.
[The Third Committee 5] Project BA: Fusion of a Remnant with a mitra. (Bloody Alice)

Honestly I don’t remember what Project SC is supposed to be.

“Academy Visistone 36-40, 48” posted:

[The Marshalls 6] The Marshall tablet holds the power to seal and transform a Remnant into a talisman.
[The Marshalls 7] While all such transformed Remnants are called talismans, the exact form they take on differ.
[The Marshalls 8] In the form of a talisman, a Remnant will not trigger a Collapse.
[The Marshalls 9] A Remnant in talisman form can be used by anyone. It does not need to be bound.
[The Marshalls 10] The Marshalls disappeared from history with the age of the Imperator.
[World Races 3] A Marshall has the appearance of a mitra, but no one truly knows what they are.

We can’t actually recruit Haruko just yet because the place to hire her from isn’t open. It will be soon, though.

Sounds like a plan.
Mm. Let’s go.

And Torgal’s weapon just upgraded. Super.

New Arts Summary
learned:
  • Swift Acala’s Wrath V!
  • Addle V!
learned Restorative Tincture II!
learned Nimble Acala’s Wrath!
learned Caustic Blast II!
learned Restorative Tincture III!
learned Nimble Cascade Strike III!
learned Revitalize IV!

Quest: “Hearts” – Battle 1
Quest: “Hearts” – Battle 2

Discussion: After seeing this update, why do you think Remnants exist? Are they just tools for people to use when they want and discard at a whim? Is there any doubt left that Remnants are, in some way, alive?

Next Time: Do you have a death wish?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 12, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

quote:

[The Third Committee 5] Project BA: Fusion of a Remnant with a mitra. (Bloody Alice)

I... missed that fact about Nora

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Goddamn Rush :black101:

And you say Haruko is Ragoh, but I saw how she was solo tanking that dragon :colbert:

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Easy way to get leader bonuses: Enter the screen that has the leader, exit to world map, repeat. No battles are required, just entering their location.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ssmagus posted:

Easy way to get leader bonuses: Enter the screen that has the leader, exit to world map, repeat. No battles are required, just entering their location.

Yes. I've been doing that off-screen. I was just saying that it seems to take a while to get Darien's to come up, because I've been going in and out of Elysion for a while to get Lotion ingredients.

Update 77 is written with screenshots grabbed, I'm starting to write up 78, and I hope to record 80 tonight.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will the LP be 100 updates?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Will the LP be 100 updates?

Potentially close to it, there's a lot of content in this game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Do you have a death wish? -OR- Bloody Alice, Part 1

Music: Old Traditions, New Methods

We’ve got to return to Melphina for this next sidequest.

Because it’s Nora’s, she’s being placed into the party lead spot, displacing Kate. It’s clear by now that one battle isn’t going to be nearly enough to get her to learn Bewitch, let alone Cachexia.

Why the career change?
I used to get jobs from the folks at the Academy and even the Congress. I did a lot of work as a security guard for the Academy. No others could match the amount they were offering.

Nope!
From the moment I made my pledge with Marsha, I have given my all to the Order. Everything I have done, every action I have taken, has been to protect Melphina. Without my Knighthood, I fear I may become lost, knowing not what to do with my life. These thoughts haunt me endlessly of late.

This is a hint that we need to find one of these for Sheryl. But they only grow on Mt. Vackel, so she’ll have to wait. Let’s go see Nora in the bar.

Uh, yeah.
I don’t have a great history with them either. Since they’re already in disarray, I was planning on taking the opportunity to finish them off. Don’t ask me for any details, because you won’t get them. What happened is worse than anything you can imagine. No words can describe this pain.

So, what happened to you?
Do you have a death wish?
We’re taking down the Third Committee. No questions asked.
Alright.
We’ll fight on the Plain of Luhang. This should end it all. We leave now. Are you prepared?
Yes!
Let’s do this!

Accepted quest: The Ladies of Bloody Alice

The fact that this quest gives you a second chance to back out is a warning. If you don’t heed it, you get kicked right into battle. (I’m not entirely sure why she’s waiting in Melphina for a battle which is outside of Nagapur, but whatever.)

- Battle Video: "The Ladies of Bloody Alice" - Attempt 1

First of all, gently caress this battle. That’s a whopping FIVE boss unions. There are also two unions of Hypnos, and those are also a bit of a gently caress you in their own right. But Jager is ready to summon Lob Omen, so we’ve got something going for us. As per my usual routine, I’ll have everyone pile on the weaker enemies to eliminate them.

Lob Omen: follow me!

Oh come now, walk it off!

Even the Hypnos are not loving around. That really hurt!

Each of these boss unions can lay down significant hurt as well.

One Hypnos down, one to go. Note our full morale. That means we’re taking reduced damage from enemy attacks. Keep that in mind.

That’s not good…

Another Hypnos has joined to replace the one which died.

Ugh! I hate these half-baked mutant punks!
Eh, could be a decent warmup!

Let’s go Emmy, while everyone else tries to revive my dead guys. I have no choice, losing a third union is an auto-loss.

Physical attacks when a special move is incoming is a free dodge, which means a free counter. I’m taking all the free damage I can because this fight is horrible.

These guys just ate 40k damage to the face and aren’t even in critical.

And the mystic union gets ragdolled every which-way.

On the bright side, Emmy can use Hundred Flowers again?

Great, that helps.

Jager’s union gets double-flanked and Irina has her spine liquefied.

I think she was hit so hard she crossed a loading zone.

This helps with the morale a bit. I’d rather something help with the corpses piling up.

Yippie.

Wait here! I’m gonna go find my sister!

This isn’t looking so great. Four boss unions remain in healthy condition and I am half dead.

This smells of death spiral. Lob Omen goes down next.

Another hypnos is down.

More Hypnos arrive to replace the fallen ones.

This didn’t work at all. I need to reconsider my approach and my unions.

First, I dissolved Jager’s union so I could use its units to bolster the HP of my other unions. The Third Committee appear to favour bludgeon-type attacks, so I’m putting my units into a formation which enhances defense against it. That was wrong, by the way. Thunderclap does Maul-type damage. There isn’t a formation with resistance to maul-based attacks, so I should have used one which alleviates general physical damage. This is something I should have bothered to look up, but I didn’t.

Irina is being made a leader because her Omnistrike special activates at low health. So let’s try this again.

- Battle Video: "The Ladies of Bloody Alice" - Attempt 2

Let’s see how this goes. Nora will be standing by for a turn to build up AP.

Whyyy…

What an amazing flip that was, Jimma. What did the judges think?
9.0, 9.5, 10.0, 9.0, and 8.5 from the Melphinians!
Pretty impressive scores, I’d say!

Turn 1 sucked. Rush must revive, but I’ll have Nora try a Blackout. Her saving AP paid off immediately.

That seemed to go well. Okay, there are two left, but what threat could they -

:sigh:

Once again, hypnos come in to replace the ones which died.

I’ll make you remember the name Emma Honeywell!

Rush has to clear Emmy’s silence, Emmy will go revive Irina, and Nora’s Fellows will die because she is botched.

Useful! They also survive the silence without it affecting them, and Pagus restores them all to full.

This isn’t over yet!

Nice hit!

I am still going after the Hypnos first. What I didn’t know at the time was that in this battle, the Hypnos are just decoys. As long as there is a single Third Committee union alive, more Hypnos will join the battle (up to a total of 12 Hypnos unions. So attacking them at all is just counterproductive.

Rush also dodges the thunderclap which follows.

Quit that.

This flesh… may fail… but the soul… still burns…

Here comes a replacement Hypnos.

Too bad that doesn’t revive dead unions. And given the way that we’re spinning our wheels, I think this might be edging into Death Spiral territory. I’ll fast-forward a bit.

Yes, this is indeed a death spiral. I am spending all my time reviving my dead unions and so I can never attack the enemy.

After this one I gave up, and looked up the fight on the wiki and learned that the Hypnos keep respawning, so it’s useless to attack them.

- Battle Video: "The Ladies of Bloody Alice" - Attempt 3

This time, I’m going to try to focus-down one Third Committee union at a time. Nora will again stand by to build up AP.

Rush…

Hey, I got one!

We will not lose!

Uh, Nora?

This is what us losing looks like.

- Battle Video: "The Ladies of Bloody Alice" - Attempt 4

Okay, this time I won’t hold Nora back, I can’t afford to.

Once again, one down.

Hmmm… Okay, since my “Irina uses Omnistrike at low health” plan relies in Irina having SOME health left, it does not seem to be working out.

Everywhere we go, slime like you are creepin’ around!
I shall claim the reward!

Rush and Nora will attack union B, Emmy will heal. I’m leaving Irina dead for now.

Fight them to the death!

Two down!

Impossible…
This isn’t over!

But now we both have two down.

Uh…

Didn’t think you had it in you…
Long… live… Athlum…

...Okay, that’s all for now. I… I need some time alone.

Battle: "The Ladies of Bloody Alice" - Attempt 1
Battle: "The Ladies of Bloody Alice" - Attempt 2
Battle: "The Ladies of Bloody Alice" - Attempt 3
Battle: "The Ladies of Bloody Alice" - Attempt 4

Next Time: Maybe I need a man like you in my life.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 10, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It has been so long that I don't remember my own take on this battle but I remember being much higher in BR around this time, approaching the 80s. My goodness they are just absolutely shredding you.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh man you get wrecked faster each time.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Well, you are starting with your morale bar behind, which means you're underleveled, right?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

It has been so long that I don't remember my own take on this battle but I remember being much higher in BR around this time, approaching the 80s. My goodness they are just absolutely shredding you.

booksnake posted:

Well, you are starting with your morale bar behind, which means you're underleveled, right?

I don't remember where I was the first time either. I was probably between 65-75 BR, though. I do remember that I was 75 for the next quest. I don't want to gain too many more BR, though, because my final party members start out at BR 64, so I'd like to get them earlier rather than later. The wiki doesn't know what BR these guys are, but I imagine it's substantially higher.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You still have so wiggle room, I mean you're not even BR 60 yet, right?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

You still have so wiggle room, I mean you're not even BR 60 yet, right?

Yes, indeed. But it can be difficult to tell at times in this game if you're actually badly outclassed, or if you just need to try a different approach, or if you just got hosed by the RNG.

For instance, fighting this battle here, it looked like being badly outclassed, but for the first two fights, I was using the wrong approach and targeting the respawning Hypnos instead of the proper approach: piling all my units onto one of the boss unions to kill it dead ASAHP.

While I do have wiggle room to grind, these fights are hard, and it will probably take me a few failed attempts before I determine if that is actually necessary.Rest assured that I won't be including every single attempt in fights where it takes me a buttload of tried. I'll only show ones which are particularly interesting and the final one. The attempts flag will be more likely to show you how many tries it took.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 10, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Maybe I need a man like you in my life. -OR- Bloody Alice, Part 2

Okay. Time to change things up a bit.

Irina is not working as a leader in this battle, so she and Jager are switching places, because Jager can summon and she can’t.

- Video: “Bloody Alice” – Attempt 5

Good, Jager. That’s what you’re here for.

Lob Omen: obey me!

The key is to pile on, and try to drive your morale up as much as possible before the inevitable retaliation.

Impossible…

Every little block counts.

Everywhere we go, slime like you is creepin’ around!

That round went okay. It’s not really surprising that one of our unions died, they just have too much firepower. Hopefully, Lob Omen will draw some more attention. That’s what it’s here for. Rush will Omnistrike union B to try and weaken or kill it. Nora will go for the critical union A, Jager will break deadlock to bring back Emmy. It’s too risky to leave a union down.

That’s a critical chain leading to an Omnistrike… :getin:

I don’t know why it hit twice, but that was over 64,000 damage. So that union went from full health to dead in one union’s move. This is not a fight to gently caress around in trying to get a bit of art XP.

Union A stays alive a little longer.

Good job, Lob Omen. You’re helping a lot.

I’ll make you remember the name Emma Honeywell!

Emma will go for union A, Nora will switch off it and attack C with Rush and Jager.

Lob Omen is taking a pounding, but if I can get another Third Committee union down, that could help a lot.

Beautifully done!

Three left, and one is a support squad more concerned with healing Hypnos than attacking. I’m going to pound union C mercilessly with Omnistrike. Emmy is on healing duty, Nora will be healing herself with items to save AP, and Jager will unleash a massive attack on union C.

Ha ha ha!

They finally finish off Lob Omen. Not to worry, I’ll bring it back as soon as I get a “Kiss of Life” command. A decoy that good you don’t eat all at once. … I kid, I kid!

Any enemy that still stands, I shall cut them down!

Great, that helps a lot. Only the Mystic and Support squads are left

Heh.

With the first three Third Committee unions down, reinforcements arrive. Mercifully, that’s all of them (not counting Hypnos).

Hell yes, Nora, it’s your quest, so it’s your turn to shine. Wipe them out, wipe them all out!

They’re strong.

It’s more satisfying to eliminate these guys knowing an arcana is coming. (plus the XP doesn’t hurt!)

I’ll crush you!
Not bad!

If a summon dies, you really want to revive it with Kiss of Life/Second Chance, because it has 9999 HP, and if you use items, your units will spend many actions to refill its health.

There are still Third Committee on the field, so replacements for the two Hypnos unions which fell in the Blackout arrive.

I think we’ve basically got this fight in the bag now.

Oh yeah, Nora has the Flachonelle, which gives immunity to silence to the union if she’s the leader. That’s nice.

It doesn’t help when you get crippled by a powerful roll on Blaster, but it’s nice!

Not many more jerks left.

I think that’s the last of the Third Committee. Ever.

Emmy heals Rush’s union back to full, and our morale is nearly maxed.

Hopefully that sticks with them.

But why…

gently caress these guys. They’re such assholes. At least I’m now free to kill them.

Even when a fight seems in the bag you can’t take victory for granted.

Good work, Lob Omen. Have a Remnie Biscuit.

Yes, please do attack the Summon and leave my units who are busy reviving alone.

Geez, almost dead again? These guys really pack a punch.

Jager’s Sect reduces the Hypnos’s health bar to just a sliver.

:fuckoff:

For this I hit BR 55.

learned Orphic Ward V!
learned Dragon’s Flight!

You got your revenge. So did that uh… put your soul at ease?

You must be joking. Fear and despair can’t even begin to describe what we went through. We have to stick together to survive this world filled with ignorant fools.
Sorry.
You’re different. You’re neither ignorant nor a fool. I appreciate you helping out without questioning me. Here, take this.

It’s a pretty substantial reward, fitting how difficult that quest is. Each of the Solitaires offers resistance to certain types of damage as well as general physical resistance. They’re pretty great.

Really? Um, gee… that’s… wow…

You can find me in Genaade in Elysion. In the meantime, I’ll put in a good word for you with my friends.

Completed quest: The Ladies of Bloody Alice

I helped pummel the Third Committee with Nora to help out the Bloody Alice members. Too bad violence can't heal wounds from the past...

The way that’s phrased, I have to wonder if she was meant to only be recruitable after this quest. We can’t find her in Genaade, but there is something there now.

Try something new!
Alright. I shall do my best to master this new field.

I’m disabling herbs on Glenys because her Remedies are miles ahead. So let’s go on over to Elysion.

Head down the ramps and this Ring of the Labyrinth guild has now opened.

So you’re the punk Nora was talking about. I heard ya gave the Third Committee a good pounding!
You bet I did!
But nothing will be enough. Our bodies are forever cursed. I won’t rest until every one of those bastards is dead!

The Third Committee turned my sweet, intelligent sister into a monster who will devour anything she can get her hands on. I’ve infiltrated the Academy as a spy for the Ladies of Bloody Alice to get my revenge!

This is where we can hire Haruko to join our party. She’s going right to the bench and never leaving.

Haruko

Former director of the Academy. Skilled and insatiably curious, she's studied Remnants for years.

Class: Legendary Healer
Initial BR: BR 64
HP: (630)
Str / Int: (31 / 69)
Union Name: Haruko’s Bodyguards

Current Arts
  • Remedies: (Restore III), (Refresh III), (Rejuvenate II), (Revitalize II), (Support)
Future Arts
  • Invocations @ BR 76
  • Lotions @ BR 83
  • Arcana: Rejuvenating Water

Comments
You need to complete a bunch of quests to recruit her, including her quest, which involves chasing her all over the world. It’s also possible to bungle that and miss the chance if you’re too quick on the draw changing Remnants into Talismans. She’s got meh stats and mediocre arts. There are better healers who can actually fight worth a drat. Not even worth recruiting, really. She hangs out on the terrace of Assembly Plaza in Elysion.

Tags: Healer, Arcana, Outclassed, Worthless

…Or at least that's what the saps back home believe. But not me, no way! A true man can't buy into that kind of bullshit. That's right-bullshit!

Let’s drop by Athlum and see if Nora has anything to say now that we finished her sidequest.

I was just in the area, that’s all.
Alright, you wanna talk? Let's chat. But if I'm gonna talk, you'd damned well better listen. Let me tell you about the Ladies of the Bloody Alice... We started out attached to the Academy's Third Committee. As you probably know, they do the research too dirty for the other scientists... We handled a lot of their testing for them.

More like some of the roughest bitches you'd ever meet. Some of us even thought we were lucky to get such a sweet gig. But...eventually, our luck ran out.

So now I gotta eat like some bottomless pit, 'cause if I don't have several times the normal nutritional requirements for a mitra, I'll die. Pathetic, huh.

The hell're you looking like that for? If I wanted your pity, I'd have made up some sob story about losing my goldfish or some poo poo. Just... I just felt like telling you is all.
What's done is done. No use wallowing in it. Better to live life while you can.

:smith: That’s pretty rough. … That’s all for now. We’re off to Baaluk for a sidequest which is even HARDER than “The Ladies of Bloody Alice”.

New Arts Summary
learned Orphic Ward V!
learned Dragon’s Flight!
learned Restorative Herb!

Video: “Bloody Alice” – Attempt 5

Next Time: It, which was once sealed within the Brimuslabus - The Fallen...

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 10, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh boy, finally the pay off to the 'if you won't stop fighting over this calamitous device I'll just take it away from both of you!' quest from way back when :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh yes, it's time. :getin: I'm going to be honest, the upcoming quest was miraculously done in one shot my first time through, I have no earthly idea how since I wasn't that good at the game even by that point, but somehow it happened. What we will likely see is how this quest goes for everyone else.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So what, 7 boss unions? This game only seems to get challenging when a battle throws like 2000 dudes at you.

Or when a boss has some silly gimmick that breaks the combat rules.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I wanna know if being part remnant means Nora might have some super attack hidden in her, or was the only side effect super-munchies.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

I wanna know if being part remnant means Nora might have some super attack hidden in her, or was the only side effect super-munchies.

Nope, she's utterly normal

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Aside from regularly being hungry enough to literally eat a horse.

But she's also something of a magic-using person and that's often par for the course for them in animegameanimeland.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

EponymousMrYar posted:

Aside from regularly being hungry enough to literally eat a horse.

But she's also something of a magic-using person and that's often par for the course for them in animegameanimeland.

I have to wonder if that originated with Lina Inverse/Slayers or if someone else did that first.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

wdarkk posted:

I have to wonder if that originated with Lina Inverse/Slayers or if someone else did that first.

Well the concept of Mana/Prana/Generic Magic Thing being tied to the body is pretty old.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Nice job beating seemingly impossible odds, by the way.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Honestly, big group battles like this fall to Arcana like wet paper. So I'm pretty sure the goal was always "nuke them with Blackhole" and he just struggled to get there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

So what, 7 boss unions? This game only seems to get challenging when a battle throws like 2000 dudes at you.

Or when a boss has some silly gimmick that breaks the combat rules.

I know I'm making this game seem easy at times, but it's really harder than I'm making it look. You also forgot the other option: "Boss hits like a freight train."

EagerSleeper posted:

She said that the Third Committee experimented with mitra-Remnant fusion. No one said that the experiments WORKED.

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks. There's more seemingly impossible odds to come. Oh boy, is there ever...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Would you say you're verging into stuff that's intended as postgame content, here?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Glazius posted:

Would you say you're verging into stuff that's intended as postgame content, here?

It certainly looked like the kind of thing that we'd do in a Tales of game while waiting for the final boss to answer the doorbell.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

It, which was once sealed within the Brimuslabus - The Fallen...

Previously:

Chapter XVII: Talk about an epic failure!

Yeah, kinda hard to miss those.
Town legend says there was some terrible monster running wild, but the Imperator took the Remnant and sealed it in that very spot.
Huh…
‘Course, that was hundreds of years ago… If’n there’s any truth to it, I sure ain’t the one to tell. Only half-believe it myself, actually.

Chapter LX: There weren’t any floating around in yours

What’s going on?
Departing Man: Didn't you know? The legendary beast what was sealed around here's woken up! There ain't nothin' left for this town, sure as I'm standin' here - so I'm hoofing it out. Dunno where I'm headin', but it can't be worse.

Staring Child: Mister, what're we gonna do? The Brimuslabus is gone, and Mama says some real scary monster's come out! Mr. Wyngale'll be able to do somethin' about it... right?

I'll be a monkey's uncle. That story 'bout the demon and the Imperator was the honest truth after all. Damnation, 'til now we been able to drive of everyone tryin' to get their hands on the Brimuslabus. How in blazes did this happen? Welp, ain't nothin' to be done about it now. I was raised here by my pappy and him by his pappy before that. I'm stayin' here 'til the end.

The Brimuslabus is gone... I pray that things will change for the better. It's hard to believe it's come to this... But I was born and raised in this town. Reckon I'll stay with it to the end. It's like all the stories said... The Brimuslabus was the guardian angel to us all...

I’ve stood here for hundreds of years, watching over the Remnant Brimslabus and what it seals.

Chapter XXX: I’m giddy as a schoolgirl!

Darned tooting I do! And I've sure got reason for it, you know! I've only made the biggest discovery of the century!

[/url]

Darned tooting we did! We're talking about the Arco Iris here... If all three of us can't see it together, what's the point?
Sibal...
But, seems like Maddox was right about it after all... I guess I just imagined seeing it. I was so certain I saw the Arco Iris... Ha, but there's nothing now, huh...
No... Certainly, you met the Remnant of Miracles, Sibal. Maddox... Sibal... The time we three were engrossed in the mystery of the Arco Iris is many years past. As time passed, we went our separate ways, doing different things and living different lives, perhaps never to meet again... And yet here we are, on an adventure, at that! It really brings back memories, doesn't it? Ahem. My point here is, just the fact that we're all here together again...
...That is the miracle given us by the Arco Iris?

Okay, it’s time. Go back to Baaluk and to the pub.

Wyngale is waiting here for us.

Err… what will?
It, which was once sealed within the Brimuslabus - The Fallen... Centuries ago, a monster suddenly appeared and threw the world in turmoil—nothing but chaos and fear. The ignorant civilians, seeing the magnitude of its power, began referring to it as a divine being... Heh. According to Him, the beast was created by the world to destroy Remnants. I care not why it exists—simply that it does.

I’m there!
I admire your spirit. You do not need to find meaning in this battle—merely pleasure.
I'm all about fun!
Come with me!

A guest union has joined the party.
Accepted quest: The Fallen

“Academy Visistone 49, 50” posted:

[The Fallen 1] A creature once feared as a wrathful god. Records of its existence date back hundreds of years.
[The Fallen 2] Some say it was created by the world itself as a way to rid itself of Remnants.
Most other quests just dump you into battle. This one gets an intro movie.

- Video: Meet The Fallen

This has the feel of a march to death. That is basically what it is, after all.

Defeat the Fallen!

- Video: The Fallen – Attempt 1

So, this fight. It’s basically the single hardest sidequest in the game. We’re facing against something which is powerful enough to be considered a deity. And it kinda lives up to that hype.

The Fallen’s base BR is 90 (or 45 higher than we are) and it has between 389,804 and 447,894 HP. It’s immune to Blacked Out and Poison, and while Silence and Paralyze can land on it, it doesn’t seem to affect what it can do, so those are essentially useless anyway.

I’m using about the same party configuration as I used in Nora’s quest, except Kate is the leader. I think I might also have changed the formations to batwings for extra defense.

I meant to do that!
That’s a strong one!

I won’t stop here…

Hand of God is one of its favorite attacks. It’s a single-union target for moderate damage. The Fallen has a base chance to cause Instakill with all its attacks, but that’s the least of your problems. It is a high enough chance to be a nuisance, but not high enough to be crippling (like Milton).

We have Wyngale here with us. He’s mostly just a warm body to help us create chances to flank, so it’s great when he is one of the first unions to attack.

Here’s a pretty good look at the Fallen. Yes, it has a huge hole in the middle of its body.

Apocalypse is an AoE attack which hits unions in a line in front of it for moderate damage. There’s no way for you to affect your positioning in this fight, so it’ll probably hit most unions anyway.

At the end of each turn, The Fallen gets an extra attack. This is preset based on the turn number.

Turn 1 - Divine Retribution
Turn 2 - Blackout
Turn 3 - Whiteout
Turn 4 - Animalcule
Turn 5 - Rain of Blades
Turn 6 - Divine Retribution
Turn 7 - Life Spring (at the end of the turn) or Miracle (at the beginning of the turn)
Turn 8 - Divine Retribution
Turn 9 - Rain of Blades
Turn 10 - Armageddon

Note that it only lists 10 turns here. No, it doesn’t loop around to the beginning. That’s this fight’s big gimmick: If you do not win in 10 turns, it’s an automatic game over. Additionally, if you fail to take off about 2/3 of its HP by the end of Turn 7, it will cast Life Spring on itself to fully heal itself, which is basically an auto-loss. But don’t worry about that.

Because just surviving to Turn 7 is unlikely.

I won’t let bullies like you get in my way!

In many other fights, even if you struggle, as long as you can keep your healing going, you can win by attrition. But you can’t outlast this fight because of the hard turn limit. You need to balance damage and defense, just healing won’t help in the long term.

Not a surprise.

Cyclone is an Axe art, you throw your axe through an enemy, and it comes back like a boomerang, hitting twice.

This isn’t over yet!

I don’t agree, but I’ll play it out anyway. I have no choice but to waste this turn reviving my dead unions.

I… still… laugh…

I spent that turn to get everyone alive and healthy…

Bring it!
You still with us?

Emmy and Irina make for great leaders for this fight for their low-HP unique arts. I know I said that for the last fight too, but it didn’t work there because we were outnumbered.

Two of the attacks missed, which didn’t help. And now that she’s done the special, her high bonus to dodge chance is gone.

Mixed Message is great.

Steady there!

At the end of Turn 4, The Fallen casts Animalcule, which afflicts everyone with Silence, Poison, and Paralyze in addition to doing massive damage. It’s perhaps the hardest thing to deal with in the fight.

Music: Out of Control

This attempt is over.

I wasn’t expecting to win the first time. That was just a bit of a trial run to test. So, what now?

A lot of the time, the answer would be “go do other things, and come back later”. Here, that won’t work very well. This quest only became available after Darken Forest, and it will expire as soon as we enter Undelwalt, which is where we have to go next. If I don’t do it now, I’ll fail my 100% quest completion, and won’t be able to access the bonus dungeon.

Additionally, I would prefer to do it now to get a couple more party members I’d like in my final makeup. They start out at BR 64, and I am BR 55, so if I take too long, they’ll be underpowered compared to everyone else. Yes, I know that I do have some wiggle room, but I’ll give it a couple of tries before I decide I need to grind.

The recommended technique for handling the Fallen is to get someone to learn the Hexes art Cachexia. The Fallen does still require AP to be able to cast the end-of-turn arts, and Cachexia drains all AP from the target. That’s why I’ve been trying to get Kate to learn it, but we’re not that close. She still is only up to Dispirit IV, and that’s a couple tiers below Cachexia.

But there is something I can try.

Remember this guy? It’s a Rare Dragon which can respawn. Dragons have lots of HP and are great to grind on. That’s only one part, though.

The Mystic Seal formation is specifically aimed at grinding arts. It almost completely neutralizes your damage, and it increases your defense. You can take hits better, and you can hit things a lot more before they die, which means getting a lot more uses from your arts.

So the plan is for Kate to use Dispirit over and over again, while everyone else stands by or heals injured unions. Turbo mode comes in very handy here. Since you stop gaining XP after turn 30, a couple turns earlier, take your other unions off standby to have them go on a full attack.

It’s hard to get the timing for when to switch to full attacks perfect. Then you leave and re-enter Crookfen until Bai Ze respawns, and repeat as needed. It actually didn’t take all that much time.

Here’s the results of my grinding.

class changed to Master Ninja!
learned:
  • Kiss of Life IV!
  • Second Chance II!
  • Protection!
class changed to Legendary Cleric!
learned:
  • Mighty Slice & Dice II!
  • Addle!
class changed to Master Ataraxian!
learned Cyclone!
learned:
  • Dragon’s Flight II!
  • Restore IV!
learned:
  • Restore V!
  • Rejuvenate II!
  • Revitalize!
learned Revitalize IV!
learned:
  • Dragon Crush!
  • Stealth II!
  • Orphic Ward II!
  • Protection!
learned:
  • Dispirit V!
  • Bewitch!
  • Cachexia!
learned:
  • Wind Shear IV!
  • Poison Gas IV!
  • Silent Gas!
  • Restorative Herb V!
class changed to Expert Bishop!
learned:
  • Wind Shear IV!
  • Permafrost!
learned: Permafrost IV!
learned:
  • Bluff II!
  • Enrage!
learned:
  • Eye Cream V!
  • Hartshorn IV!
learned Restorative Tincture IV!
learned:
  • Revitalize V!
  • Kiss of Life II!
  • Second Chance!
learned:
  • Restore II!
  • Restore III!
  • Rejuvenate!

BR Gained: Zero (0). Yep, I did all that and didn’t gain a single BR. I think dragging out the battles might have helped, as well as the deaths I had.

Basically, the mystics users learned more mystics, and other people upgraded their healing (which is really helpful when going up against the Fallen!). Irina learned Second Chance, which is a full heal and status removal (INCLUDING KO), and Violet improved enough to learn Revitalize (and I can actually get her to learn Rejuvenating Water now if I want). Rush and Paris both learned Protection, which is a one-attack immunity versus physical attacks.

Gabriel claimed the Ruby Solitaire, Irina claimed the Dead Heart, Caedmon took the Emerald Solitaire, Torgal took the Sapphire Solitaire, and Gaou the Ivory Solitaire. Those should also help. While I’m wandering around…

We met Sibal a long time ago, but he only becomes recruitable after Koenigsdorf. So I’m picking him up now that I remembered. Even though you recruit him in Royotia, he can be found standing in Ghor.

Anyway, now that I have Cachexia, let’s try the Fallen again…

Since I don’t really have the health to make 4 unions vs 5 unions matter much anyway, I opted to go for 5 unions for both flexibility and the option to put Irina in as a Leader.

I spent some time configuring their organization, because in order to get Arcanas to appear as Battle Commands, you need your leader to know the Arcana, and you need at least two other units who know mystics in the union.. Those requirements are very loose, but the Duke of Ghor does not fit them, so I couldn’t have him as part of a 3-person unit led by Irina for instance. I also wanted to make sure that every union had someone who could revive and someone who could heal, but unfortunately, Emmy’s union has no revivers. I guess I could have swapped Darien for Glenys or Violet if I’d thought about it.

- Video: The Fallen – Attempt 2

Morale is important in most fights, but it’s even more critical here. High morale reduces the damage you take and increases the damage you deal. It’ll help a lot to get your morale up high as fast as you can, because inevitably, it’ll go down as The Fallen smashes you to bits. Also, the first turn of the battle is on Turbo speed because I forgot to take it off after finishing grinding.

Be careful!

Sometimes you get lucky breaks.

You’re all right now that I’m here!
You won’t have to do that again!
Hang in there, okay?

That was a fairly good first turn. Having those is important.

I get mostly healing options for the next turn, not a lot of offense.

I’m hanging in, but not doing a lot offensively.

Awww…

Too bad Rush didn’t have the AP to upgrade to a combat art, otherwise that critical chain would have been a lot better.

Sometimes the AI’s clever attempts to help actually don’t. Now, Emmy can’t use Hundred Flowers.

If you’re going to use Cachexia, you’ll want to make sure that the union casting it goes AFTER The Fallen moves. If it moves afterwards (gaining AP), there’s a good chance it will still be able to cast the end-of-turn spells regardless. I put Kate’s Pack into the Crossbow formation, which has a big penalty to speed, hopefully ensuring that she goes last.

Music: Out of Control

Cachexia worked – no end-of-turn attack. Too bad Kate refuses to cast it each turn, even though she had no such problems with Dispirit. Irina will bring Wyngale back, Paris will cast Protection, Rush will use his Ninja Skillz to Rear Assault, and Kate will flank. Unfortunately, we’re entering Turn 4, which means Animalcule at the end.

Hand of God isn’t always lethal. The higher morale you have, the less dangerous it is.

That’s pretty bad. Kate’s silenced, Rush is dead. Jager is the only one which came out okay. I have to use Emmy to heal, lacking anything else decent, and Kate has to revive with herbs because she can’t do squat else. Jager and Irina will clear ailments.

Irina only cleared the ailments from herself, which was useless. Loki did bring Rush back, but died to the poison.

Welp… That’s the end of Turn 5, and I have not done anywhere close to the amount of damage that I need to, I have two dead unions and the other three are at half-health, and I won’t be able to stop the end-of-turn attack.

This game has a handy “soft reset”, which lets you quit back to the game’s main menu. On PC it’s Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R. I’m going to use that now, because this run failed.

- Video: The Fallen – Attempt 3

This was the situation after Turn 1. NOPE!

- Video: The Fallen – Attempt 4

After the end-of-turn attack.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to reset, but I might as well give Irina a shot.

Great job Irina, you did 35,000 damage. Too bad everyone else is dead. *click*.

…That’s all for today.

New Arts Summary
class changed to Master Ninja!
learned:
  • Kiss of Life IV!
  • Second Chance II!
  • Protection!
class changed to Legendary Cleric!
learned:
  • Mighty Slice & Dice II!
  • Addle!
class changed to Master Ataraxian!
learned Cyclone!
learned:
  • Dragon’s Flight II!
  • Restore IV!
learned:
  • Restore V!
  • Rejuvenate II!
  • Revitalize!
learned Revitalize IV!
learned:
  • Dragon Crush!
  • Stealth II!
  • Orphic Ward II!
  • Protection!
learned:
  • Dispirit V!
  • Bewitch!
  • Cachexia!
learned:
  • Wind Shear IV!
  • Poison Gas IV!
  • Silent Gas!
  • Restorative Herb V!
class changed to Expert Bishop!
learned:
  • Wind Shear IV!
  • Permafrost!
learned: Permafrost IV!
learned:
  • Bluff II!
  • Enrage!
learned:
  • Eye Cream V!
  • Hartshorn IV!
learned Restorative Tincture IV!
learned:
  • Revitalize V!
  • Kiss of Life II!
  • Second Chance!
learned:
  • Restore II!
  • Restore III!
  • Rejuvenate!

Video: Meet The Fallen
Video: The Fallen – Attempt 1
Video: The Fallen – Attempt 2
Video: The Fallen – Attempt 3
Video: The Fallen – Attempt 4

Next Time: I am finally free.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 11, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I think you missed a find-and-replace of some sort with the "[70]" bits.

Also holy poo poo that's a dick move making this go away so soon.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well at least Kate got both Bewitch and Cachexia!
So how else can you eke out more out of your dudes? Upgrade Kate's spells to III? Or is this another part where a formation change is in order?

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Ahh, the Fallen. The thing I was most curious about seeing in action, and it's every bit as horrible as I imagined. :stonklol:

I'm guessing that this is the part where you really, really wish you had complete control over your units' actions, huh?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah I still have no idea how I beat the Fallen on my first try. I can only assume my extra 20 BR featured enough skill ups and stat growths to make it work out. I'm not sure if the Fallen is the toughest enemy via pure stats, but it's sure as gently caress the hardest fight.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Whoops, I should have posted an update today. I completely forgot, sorry. I blame the fact that I just couldn't keep my hands off of TitS. It's a weakness which many share.

In any case, there are four updates making this page slow down, and we're not far from a new page, so :justpost:

Glazius posted:

Nope. I don't really consider any of these sidequests to be post-game content, even if they are hard. I will say that we're getting close to unlocking something pretty close to post-game content. We're also getting very close to the last sidequests and the last main game content, though.

Also, there isn't really a post-game, all "post-game" content has to be completed before entering the final boss room.

wdarkk posted:

Also holy poo poo that's a dick move making this go away so soon.

Pretty much, yeah. It's a very nasty quest in every way.

SSNeoman posted:

Well at least Kate got both Bewitch and Cachexia!
So how else can you eke out more out of your dudes? Upgrade Kate's spells to III? Or is this another part where a formation change is in order?

If I need to I can try to go for a few more levels. As I think I said, it can be hard to tell if you're just too weak or if you're just getting screwed by the RNG. In this case, the next thing I'll try if I don't win on my next attempt will be to disable all the other mystic arts except healing in Kate's union, to strongly encourage her to use Cachexia.

Onmi posted:

Yeah I still have no idea how I beat the Fallen on my first try. I can only assume my extra 20 BR featured enough skill ups and stat growths to make it work out. I'm not sure if the Fallen is the toughest enemy via pure stats, but it's sure as gently caress the hardest fight.

On my first playthrough I did eventually beat the Fallen without Cachexia by getting up to BR 75, and that let me power through. I would prefer to not do that, as the next two party members are BR 64 and will always start at BR 64 no matter how much higher than that I get. I want to get them earlier so I can increase their stats and make better use of them.

(And also please get me to a new page, the next update is pretty close to being done. Thanks!)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

K have a page mover OP.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I wish you luck against the fallen

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Nope. I don't really consider any of these sidequests to be post-game content, even if they are hard. I will say that we're getting close to unlocking something pretty close to post-game content. We're also getting very close to the last sidequests and the last main game content, though.

Also, there isn't really a post-game, all "post-game" content has to be completed before entering the final boss room.

Xenoblade doesn't have a post-game either, yet there are bosses and sidequests that have monsters of a higher level than the final story boss. Some people consider that to be "post-game". I think there's a similar kind of thing in Final Fantasy XII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Did you know that The Fallen isn't called "The Fallen" in Japanese? It's given the much more pretentious name of 神と呼ばれしもの "It Which Is Called a God".

• Locked thread