Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

He's just quoting a Paradox forums poster.

Kaiserreich doesn't even get mentioned until Page 2, for shame. Then again I loving hate the ACW and would be glad to see it purged altogether, despite my love of the Combined Syndicates and Pacific States, so I'm conflicted.
Redo the entire ACW so it results in Crimson Skies' America imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Stellaris DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-10-the-spaceport-and-rare-resources.892292/

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

I don't remember if it's been addressed in previous DDs but wil there be megastructures like Dyson Spheres, matrioshka brains, ringworlds, etc?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kavak posted:

Kaiserreich doesn't even get mentioned until Page 2, for shame. Then again I loving hate the ACW and would be glad to see it purged altogether, despite my love of the Combined Syndicates and Pacific States, so I'm conflicted.

Just make the Syndicates crush everyone by default. :anarchists:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I guess I can live with the planet grid if we can pump space-nitrous into atmospheres.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sort of related to the planet grid from last week actually, I noticed there's a green icon at the top with a 1/4 next to it, looks like a planet cap? I wonder if that's supposed to be a direct control cap (like CK2 demesne or Warlock 2 city limits), or a soft cap (can't settle more than this without penalties). Maybe it was already discussed and I missed it?

Oberleutnant posted:

I don't remember if it's been addressed in previous DDs but wil there be megastructures like Dyson Spheres, matrioshka brains, ringworlds, etc?

Yeah, starbases sound like they are for colonized planets only but I wonder if there are also things like defensive bases, repair/refueling stations, or artificial planetoids and that like.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Pretty sure they have said they will have megaprojects, but I don't think there's been much by way of detail yet.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
FWS Courageous Plumage :3:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah, starbases sound like they are for colonized planets only but I wonder if there are also things like defensive bases, repair/refueling stations, or artificial planetoids and that like.

Wasn't building Science Outposts and stuff around non-usable or uncolonized worlds already mentioned?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Westminster System posted:

Wasn't building Science Outposts and stuff around non-usable or uncolonized worlds already mentioned?

Yeah, there are orbital slots and such for planets you can't colonize. But I was talking more in terms of things not tied to planets, deep space stations between systems and such.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Kavak posted:

Well they are apparently re working the ACW in Kaiserreich. IIRC the various areas of the US vote independently which then determines the election result (including a hung electoral college) and what side each area joins, outside of core CSA/AUS areas.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Communist Zombie posted:

Well they are apparently re working the ACW in Kaiserreich. IIRC the various areas of the US vote independently which then determines the election result (including a hung electoral college) and what side each area joins, outside of core CSA/AUS areas.

Now would be a great time to fix some of the extremely unlikely stuff in KR in general. The idea that Germany could continue full war effort into 1921 while still under British blockade with no revolution is the lovely premise undermining the whole thing. Just have Germany win in 1918!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Oberleutnant posted:

:raise:

Don't get me started.

I love that that's the part of the post you found most objectionable.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah, there are orbital slots and such for planets you can't colonize. But I was talking more in terms of things not tied to planets, deep space stations between systems and such.

You can't stop or do anything between systems, but you can build bases not in orbit of a planet.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

I love that that's the part of the post you found most objectionable.

I didn't even read the whole thing

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Oberleutnant posted:

I didn't even read the whole thing

Fair enough. I suppose the whole thing where the poster is a literal fascist and admits to it is pretty par for the course for Paradox posters so wouldn't even register anyway.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Darkrenown posted:

You can't stop or do anything between systems, but you can build bases not in orbit of a planet.

Okay gotcha. The structure of the game universe sounds something like Space Empires 4 then, in that the playing field is only systems that you warp between.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Fair enough. I suppose the whole thing where the poster is a literal fascist and admits to it is pretty par for the course for Paradox posters so wouldn't even register anyway.
omg i just followed the link to that post and....

quote:

Agree x 5
:magical:

Purge those loving forums.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If the changes to logistics described for the next Hearts of Iron game don't purge them, I don't know what will.

e:maybe a game set entirely in sub-Saharan Africa or Meso-America?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

And again i'm definetely not fan of magic resources and this "Toxic world" mumbo-jumbo. wtf is a toxic world ? What does toxic even mean ? This is supposed to be sci-fi not fantasy in space :(

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a noticeable subset of sci-fi fans that have a conniption at the suggestion that sci-fi is essentially fantasy in space/with robots/with cyborgs/nanomachines.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mans posted:

And again i'm definetely not fan of magic resources and this "Toxic world" mumbo-jumbo. wtf is a toxic world ? What does toxic even mean ? This is supposed to be sci-fi not fantasy in space

Is the guy not aware of Venus or something?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a noticeable subset of sci-fi fans that have a conniption at the suggestion that sci-fi is essentially fantasy in space/with robots/with cyborgs/nanomachines.

Which is funny because almost all film or videogame scifi is exactly that.

Tomn posted:

Is the guy not aware of Venus or something?

Also this.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

LOOK AWAY, LOOK AWAY, LOOK AWAY, TRAITOR LAND

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

What's supposed to set science fiction apart from fantasy is that it's speculative. It's supposed be a plausible exploration of "what if?" (for any given "what if?").

Most pop culture sci fi is certainly just fantasy wearing a shiny tinfoil suit though, you can't really argue with that.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

tooterfish posted:

What's supposed to set science fiction apart from fantasy is that it's speculative. It's supposed be a plausible exploration of "what if?" (for any given "what if?").

Most pop culture sci fi is certainly just fantasy wearing a shiny tinfoil suit though, you can't really argue with that.

n-no! my warhams spaceman books are bleak dystopian social commentary, a chilling what-if of the seductive powers of fascism and xenophobia, and therefore literature, which I display proudly next to my 1/12 scale Abaddon The Despoiler figurine

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Funky Valentine posted:

I like how his "yourself as a Victoria POP" issues include like no issues from the actual game, but I guess "moralism" and "jingoism" don't sound as cool.

EDIT: Hard science fiction can be cool, but if you have FTL you're already in the realm of "basically magic" and how "hard" or "soft" your setting is becomes mostly about aesthetics or what kind of story you want to tell and mood you want to evoke.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Stellaris is pretty great, I stayed until late at work today to play my Goa'Uld Empire campaign.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Wiz posted:

Stellaris is pretty great, I stayed until late at work today to play my Goa'Uld Empire campaign.

You used to be cool, Wiz. Now you're...... one of them.... swanning around, with your loving devbuild, like you're better than us. I remember where you came from even if you don't!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
What the Paradox forum needs is more Goa'uld apologists.

Jaffa, Kree!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

quote:

Let there be A and B and (A union B) = C.
B wants to leave C because A dominates C.
Since B voluntarily joined the democratic union C, B naturally thinks that it is free to leave C at any time.
B leaves C. A doesn't accept that and refuses to withdraw troops from B's territory.
B obviously feels its territorial sovereignty violated and demands of A to withdraw her troops from B's territory.
A baits B into dow'ing them by refusing to respect national sovereignty.

The rest is history and history is written by victors.

You hear that banging sound? That's James McPherson and Eric Foner smashing their heads against a brick wall.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Funky Valentine posted:

Paradox wants you to be an active member of their community in order to get into beta tests for their games, and every time I think about that my brain just says NOPE.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

One of the best things about GalCiv2 was the way you could build starbases and then customise them to provide you bonuses in a certain area so I'm liking the similar themes.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Westminster System posted:

What the Paradox forum needs is more Goa'uld apologists.

Jaffa, Kree!

The plot to Age of Decadence is basically Star Gate, humanity getting enslaved and indoctrinated by technologically superior theocrats posing as gods

Also, they have pyramid obsessions

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Funky Valentine posted:

The "first" American revolution was peaceful?

Empress Theonora posted:

I like how his "yourself as a Victoria POP" issues include like no issues from the actual game, but I guess "moralism" and "jingoism" don't sound as cool.

EDIT: Hard science fiction can be cool, but if you have FTL you're already in the realm of "basically magic" and how "hard" or "soft" your setting is becomes mostly about aesthetics or what kind of story you want to tell and mood you want to evoke.

I think you get 1-2 "Ok this is just magic and breaks physics" conceits when writing "hard" scifi.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wiz posted:

So what's the most "wait what" level bug you guys have found so far

Edit: also good science fiction is about the interactions of humanity with new technologies and using those reaction to wax philosophical about human nature. The realism of the tech is irrelevant, the realism of the people using it is paramount

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 23, 2015

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Empress Theonora posted:

My favorite part about Victoria POP signatures is how they almost always have themselves with maxed out consciousness.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm really glad that Lincoln was enough of a shrewd Machiavellian with Fort Sumter to make this guy wrong.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Agean90 posted:

So what's the most "wait what" level bug you guys have found so far

It's not my project so I'm not really free to talk about it as much as I'd like, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Sharmat posted:

The "first" American revolution was peaceful?

The actual revolution of ideas about the relation between the tiny-rear end island hundreds of miles away from it's massive colonial "posession" was going pretty peacefully until the sheer tension produced by British troops in and around Boston boiled over and war were declared.