Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

boy I can't wait to have that cheap piece of plastic garbage adorning my command post! (that's what I call my desk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is there some proposed Derek Smart lawsuit coming or was that just typical Smart

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

AP posted:

Lots of refunds today, it's almost like they had cash flow problems and came into some money somehow over the weekend.

Hey, I'm all down for the people savvy enough to ask for a refund to get their money back while the dolts that keep doubling down unwittingly absolve the 'haters' of their sins and money problems. So if any white knight is reading this, keep on hatepledging! Your money is legitimately doing a good thing - giving money squandered back to people who aren't as dumb as you are.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Madcosby posted:

Is there some proposed Derek Smart lawsuit coming or was that just typical Smart
I think he hinted at something like that in early December but it's Derek Smart and lawsuit threats so :shrug:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

OhDearGodNo posted:

Ticket initiated Sep 30

First 3rd of refund issued Oct 12

Second 3rd on Oct 16

Last chunk received today, Nov 23.

Finally 100% free.

Refunds in installments is the hallmark of a healthy non-shady company.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

Wait till the 8th of December, then ask him.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Berious posted:

Corsair look nice but I've read nothing but bitching about the fancy LEDs dying all the time making your pretty keyboard look like a piece of poo poo. Filco or get out IMO.

Nothing but bad experiences with Corsair's mechanical keyboards. If you want a good mechanical, get a Ducky.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If you want a good mechanical keyboard, get a model M. It is the reverse of star citizen, all substance and no style.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Ticket initiated Sep 30

First 3rd of refund issued Oct 12

Second 3rd on Oct 16

Last chunk received today, Nov 23.

Finally 100% free.

It's weird that I received mine in one chunk, two days after finalizing my refund, from Cloud Imperium Games.

Meanwhile other people are getting partial payments from the paypal account of someone Sandi dated back in the mid 90s after he found someone to take his old van off his hands.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Size of refund probably has something to do with it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Madcosby posted:

He said something about the end of November seeing as that's when their original TOS promised refunds and/or accounting

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Green Dam posted:

Nothing but bad experiences with Corsair's mechanical keyboards. If you want a good mechanical, get a Ducky.

pun pundit posted:

If you want a good mechanical keyboard, get a model M. It is the reverse of star citizen, all substance and no style.

Ducky, Filco, Topre, IBM, Avant Stellar, Unicomp, all fantastic keyboards. Between all the types of mech switches, there is really something for everyone.

(And if the something you want is less key travel, that's what O-rings are for.)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So this is from the Hard Light forums a few weeks ago. Posting here because it's good.

quote:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=90080.460

CIG's focus on realism and verisimilitude is applied to the most nonsensical things. Rather than design sensible, realistic helmets, CIG intentionally designed stupid helmets just so they'd obscure the edges of the screen, even though that helmet, used by an actual person, would almost completely obscure his/her peripheral vision (because screens have much smaller FoV than human eyes do). These are helmets designed for CQB environments:

This is a consistent thing with SC. Simulate reality, but only halfway.

Helmets obscure vision in real life, so helmets are designed to maximise visibility. SC forgets that last part. Helmets designed to obscure narrow screen FoV. CIG create very poorly designed helmets that would never get accepted IRL because they destroy visibility and therefore situational awareness.

End result: Less realistic than if they'd left the feature out entirely.

Headbobbing. Non-issue in real life. It happens, but your brain filters it out. SC forgets that last part. CIG write a complex stabilization engine that sorta smooths it out, but it's still an issue.

End result: less realistic than if they'd left out the feature entirely.

Cockpits are visible in real life, so fighters are designed to maximize cockpit visibility. SC forgets that last part. Most ships, even military fighters, have zero rear visibility, fairly mediocre side visibility, and okayish front visibility. Test pilots would ***** about this nonstop IRL, fighters probably wouldn't get accepted into service because of compromised situational awareness. To add to this, the cockpit glass in SC is stated to be just as strong as the hull. It isn't even a weakspot because CIG don't want pilot snipes (this makes the helmets stupid too).

End result: less realistic than if they'd left out the feature entirely.

Addendum: the F-35 was designed with external cameras which, combined with the helmet, allow the pilot to basically look through the plane. It doesn't work all that well ATM (like everything else about the F-35), but the point remains. In 10 or 20 years, cockpit visibility could be a complete non-issue.

I'm tempted to go on because there's even more, but I'm tired, so I'll leave it there.

It's semi-realism. Just enough to adversely affect gameplay, not enough to actually make sense.

EDIT: I lied. I just couldn't leave this one out because it's hilarious:

Women can wear heels, but they can also not wear heels. SC forgets that last part. CIG want women to be able to wear heels, but they don't want to be unrealistic and use the same animations for both, so they made all women wear heels all the time. (Third last post on the page if post link doesn't work)

End result: lol.
Bolded for emphasis.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i like how his desk looks like its made from pieces of wood you would find in an alley

while fatty and the harpy get to use their 3k airplane wing desk for their stupid show

i know that desk looks like poo poo but don't think for a moment it was cheap. it's probably from the same company they bought their stupid airplane desk.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2710129&categoryId=cat1676047

and this table

could very well be

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod3250287&categoryId=cat3250011

or

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2710307&categoryId=cat3250021

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

pun pundit posted:

model mmmmmmmmmm!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

not a fan of corsair for anything. got a wasd code keyboard, it's pretty cool.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

SC white knights be like

"haters gonna hate"

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

ARMA 3 has a headbob slider that goes from 0 (no headbob) to 100 (vomit city), so I don't really understand why CIG couldn't do something similar. Unless of course croberts insists that the camera needs to be locked to a specific bone in the characters head at all times.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

what the gently caress is up with that pricing? that has got to be a 1000% markup

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

ARMA 3 has a headbob slider that goes from 0 (no headbob) to 100 (vomit city), so I don't really understand why CIG couldn't do something similar. Unless of course croberts insists that the camera needs to be locked to a specific bone in the characters head at all times.

Because Arma simulates headbob but has the camera still stuck at an arbitrary position instead of what SC does - fixating the camera to the player's eyes. It's an utterly stupid decision that will leave us with head-bob no matter what.

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

So Star Citizen dev Disco Lando likes debating the meaning of the word truth and the observable nature of fact

https://www.reddit.com/r/Christianity/comments/3t5pgt/stephen_attempts_to_convert_bill_maher/cx3hhe1

Which, yeah, irony

You idiot.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Iglocska posted:

Could be, but I am still hoping it is true. I have luckily not seen any official communication about anything you get amounting to a major advantage in-game (devs have claimed again and again that LTI is useless, the ships you get come with crappy equipment and getting a base ship ingame won't take long).

Is it a bit dishonest against people that obviously seem to be "min/maxing" their crazy expensive fleet? Maybe. Do I care about that as long as the game stays play to win? Hell no, let them whine.

You keep saying you don't care about the whales whining but who do you think will pay for server upkeep? If this ever comes out I give it 6 months before it veers into Payday 2 territory.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Omi-Polari posted:

So this is from the Hard Light forums a few weeks ago. Posting here because it's good.

Bolded for emphasis.

Croberts is a big fan of the 'George Lucas' approach to media, clutter up the screen with as much obnoxious poo poo as possible and call it immersive.

Fain80
Jan 18, 2013

Free Hugs
The UIs are a little over the top and terrible. I'm also not digging all the animations you have to watch over and over and over again. Sure they were cool the first time but not the second, let alone the 200th. I dread getting into that little cart just because it takes so drat long.

Fain80
Jan 18, 2013

Free Hugs

MeLKoR posted:

You keep saying you don't care about the whales whining but who do you think will pay for server upkeep? If this ever comes out I give it 6 months before it veers into Payday 2 territory.

Haha, Star Citizen AK47 pack.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
More like Fart Pissizen

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Gerbil_Pen posted:

you're an idiot

You just now figured that out? :rolleye:

Some ppl are slow.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I asked that if the ban was upheld that they refund the remainder of the one year subscription I had purchased in April, since they had unfairly removed the majority of the subscription's value by removing my ability to ask 104TC questions.

This question can't go over to well at CIG HQ

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

peter gabriel posted:

More like Fart Pissizen

Huge if true

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I literally picked up a Corsair K65 today at a silly 50% off pre-black friday sale thing, and it's utterly loving amazing. Going from a "nice in it's day" Microsoft membrane KB to what I'm typing on now is like going from washing your hands with sandpaper to beautiful handmade silk.

It's totally comical that they would opt to make the branded gear to play their supposedly best thing ever with what I'd now consider the worst components.

Also, if you can't make it do awesome rainbow bursts from each key as you type, it's garbage. :colbert:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm a creepy guy

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Bedshaped posted:

Croberts is a big fan of the 'George Lucas' approach to media, clutter up the screen with as much obnoxious poo poo as possible and call it immersive.

This would be the same George Lucas that :gary: compared CR to in an interview, the most back-handed 'compliment' you can imagine.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Looking at someone's Reddit posts is occasionally is creepy but having an entire sub-Reddit devoted to stalking someone who critiques a game you like is not.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tarkaroshe knows :tinfoil:

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tokamak posted:

tarkaroshe knows :tinfoil:

Quick, shut it down! They're onto us!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizens : Sharp as tacks

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Mirificus posted:

Looking at someone's Reddit posts is occasionally is creepy but having an entire sub-Reddit devoted to stalking someone who critiques a game you like is not.
Nonono you see the person we made a sub-Reddit about said mean things about a video game concept we like.

Edit: by the way stop posting those things in our public SC thread. Keep things to the CJ forum.

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 24, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rincewinds posted:

They know that one day Crobert will bring with him cool aid and an armed guard.

So basically he'll bring a slightly skinnier :lesnick: with no appreciable firearms or use of force training, who will inevitably drink the Kool-Aid first because walking is exhausting work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Karl just can't stop owning himself :allears:

• Locked thread