Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Uthor posted:

Can I ask how you set that up? I'm looking at my Steam Guard settings now and have the choices of "app", "email", and "off". I don't see SMS.

I think he was talking about battle.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unified Remote is on sale for $0.99 this weekend.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Well worth full price, let alone the sale price. And should be in the OP. Fantastic for lazy watching of stuff.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Yep, Unified Remote is fantastic. Looks like they finally updated it to work with the Windows 10 Netflix app too.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Is there an easy way to control a Spotify playlist that is playing from a tablet, via my phone via bluetooth or somesuch? Our upcoming Christmas Party's music is going to be a playlist on my tablet, but I'd like to be able to control it from my phone and not have to babysit the tablet all drat night...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Should work natively inside the Spotify app

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

dissss posted:

Should work natively inside the Spotify app

You're right! I didn't know it had that capability, thanks!

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

kri kri posted:

I think he was talking about battle.net

Yep. Sorry. battle.net.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is it possible to share my phone as a network drive?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I know you can on Mac but I'm almost positive it won't work on Windows.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
In Google Calendar, if you hide a specific calendar, does it not give you alerts for that calendar? I have a daily "appointment" created that I want to be alerted to, but I don't want to see a big block of time marked off for every day of the week.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

FogHelmut posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icecoldapps.serversultimate&hl=en

Some features need root but I think SMB shares work without.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Within the past couple of days, ES File Explorer pushed out an update that added bloatware. I woke up this morning to a "# junks need to be cleaned" push notification and, as it turns out, it's from ES File Explorer. If anything, it serves as a quick reminder to disable auto update when I get my next phone.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Bloodplay it again posted:

Within the past couple of days, ES File Explorer pushed out an update that added bloatware. I woke up this morning to a "# junks need to be cleaned" push notification and, as it turns out, it's from ES File Explorer. If anything, it serves as a quick reminder to disable auto update when I get my next phone.

I moved over to Solid Explorer because of this. Amaze File Manager is also a good alternative if you're looking for a free one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Or just use a different file browser.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Wow. I just got this too. Bad choice for them. Think I'll find a new option.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Or just use a different file browser.

No no, stick with the one that works* and just leave everything else open to bugs and malware!

*Except for the part that's bad and unnecessary.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I went ahead and uninstalled ES File Explorer and didn't install another file browser because I realized it's been months since I needed one.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

beerinator posted:

Think I'll find a new option.

Solid Explorer is the way to go if you don't mind spending money.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I hate to admit that I use Snapchat, but: Is Snapchat running slow as gently caress for anyone else, particularly on a Nexus 5X? Lags when you open it, lags updating stories.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Require More Fire posted:

I hate to admit that I use Snapchat, but: Is Snapchat running slow as gently caress for anyone else, particularly on a Nexus 5X? Lags when you open it, lags updating stories.

It's been lovely poo poo for me ever since it's last update on my note 4.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

repiv posted:

Solid Explorer is the way to go if you don't mind spending money.

I went ahead and paid for it. Even though, like others in this thread, I rarely use a file explorer. Hopefully my two bucks will help buy some toilet paper for their office or something.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Thermopyle posted:

I went ahead and uninstalled ES File Explorer and didn't install another file browser because I realized it's been months since I needed one.

I would do this but I access my NAS all the time on my devices, gently caress ES file explorer I've changed the review I left 2 years ago to one star.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Require More Fire posted:

Is Snapchat running slow as gently caress for anyone else, particularly on a Nexus 5X? Lags when you open it, lags updating stories.

Yeah, it's been frustrating.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Budgie posted:

I would do this but I access my NAS all the time on my devices, gently caress ES file explorer I've changed the review I left 2 years ago to one star.

Yeah I use a file browser to copy media from and photos to my file server at home on at least a weekly basis.

I'm using (not Root) Explorer at the moment and am pretty happy with it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Budgie posted:

I did the same like a week ago. I'm currently still in the test period of solid explorer but I will almost certainly buy it once that ends. It 'hides' all networking including LAN under 'cloud-connections'.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah I use a file browser to copy media from and photos to my file server at home on at least a weekly basis.

I'm using (not Root) Explorer at the moment and am pretty happy with it.

I use Root Explorer (though Explorer is free if you don't need root). It's Holo rather than Material but given how seldom I use it it's tough to complain.

Thermopyle posted:

I switched from Authy to that Authenticator Plus mentioned in the OP. It was a Good Decision.

The app is simpler, it encrypts your code database locally and syncs between devices via Dropbox.

I wasn't exactly worried about Authy having my poo poo, but switching to Authenticator Plus cost me no features, a little bit of money, and a few minutes of time. All in all, you gain security for little cost.

If you're still using Google Authenticator, you would gain a lot of convenience with only the most hypothetical decrease in security. (As long as you trust Authenticator Plus to actually encrypt the db and not be harvesting your info)

Thermopyle, as usual, was right. This is worth the three dollars and worth the time to switch over. The only thing that was giving me pause was Authy's Chrome app which was a lifesaver if I forgot my phone but needed to log in at work but having a Wear component makes it that much nicer.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 24, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I don't use Google Keep a whole lot, but sometimes my girlfriend and I share shopping lists and whatnot using it. Whenever items are shared I get both an email and a mobile push notification.

How the gently caress do I disable email notification for this? It's kind of annoying.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

I don't use Google Keep a whole lot, but sometimes my girlfriend and I share shopping lists and whatnot using it. Whenever items are shared I get both an email and a mobile push notification.

How the gently caress do I disable email notification for this? It's kind of annoying.
I didn't even know it supported notifications, I've never received anything when a shared list is edited, email or push, and I don't see any option for it.

The Google Way.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

I use this all the time too. My wife and I do the same thing with shopping lists for certain places that we just delete out when we've left the store.

I don't ever get notifications when she adds things. Maybe it's under "Reminders?" I have used a reminder based on location for a list once and it worked pretty well and fired off a notification when I got close to the store.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh I think he means whenever a new list is shared? I think that does appear as both.

I don't think there is a fix but you could easily just set up a rule in Gmail to auto-trash the email.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tunga posted:

Oh I think he means whenever a new list is shared? I think that does appear as both.

Sorry yes, I meant whenever new lists are shared. I never considered using a Gmail filter so I guess I'll go with that. Thanks!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
IFTTT has a promotion with the New York Times, running through November, where if you activate a Recipe using the New York Times channel, you get a free 8-week digital subscription to the newspaper.No payment information required.

The New York Times has a promotion with Knox Labs where its "most loyal digital subscribers" receive a promotional code through email for a free Google Cardboard Headset. No payment is required for shipment in the US.

Criteria that apparently qualified me as a "most loyal digital subscriber:"

1. Signed up for the IFTTT promotion two weeks ago.
2. Never logged in to the NYT website during those two weeks.
3. Had valid email address where they sent the promotional email.

I got the Knox Labs Order confirmation yesterday. Guess I'll see if it will actually ship.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

maltesh posted:

IFTTT has a promotion with the New York Times, running through November, where if you activate a Recipe using the New York Times channel, you get a free 8-week digital subscription to the newspaper.No payment information required.

The New York Times has a promotion with Knox Labs where its "most loyal digital subscribers" receive a promotional code through email for a free Google Cardboard Headset. No payment is required for shipment in the US.

Criteria that apparently qualified me as a "most loyal digital subscriber:"

1. Signed up for the IFTTT promotion two weeks ago.
2. Never logged in to the NYT website during those two weeks.
3. Had valid email address where they sent the promotional email.

I got the Knox Labs Order confirmation yesterday. Guess I'll see if it will actually ship.

So there's nothing I can do to trigger the email the Knox promotion?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I honestly don't know. I wasn't expecting the offer, so it surprised me when it arrived two weeks later. The only official mention I've been able to find is this from the New York Times VR FAQ: http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2015/vrfaq/

quote:

How can I get a Cardboard?

If you are a United States home delivery subscriber who receives the Sunday edition, we will send you a free Cardboard viewer with your Sunday newspaper by November 8, 2015. Our Times Insider subscribers who have chosen to receive marketing emails will also receive promotional codes via email that can be redeemed for free Cardboard viewers.

You can also buy a Cardboard viewer from Google.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Are there any apps that map out the locations of wireless networks around you?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
App sales lists a bunch of Black Friday app sales. The only big time one I saw was Poweramp unlocker for $0.99. I bought it even though I already own Shuttle+ (sale a few weeks back) and actually typically use Rocket Player (for the integration with iSyncr), but $0.99 of Google survey rewards is a no-brainer.
http://www.app-sales.net/

It's not showing up on that site yet, but it looks like BeyondPod's unlocker is half price ($2.99) on the play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.beyondpod.unlockkey

Edit: Android Police has a post of sales updating as well:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11/27/black-friday-app-and-game-sales-roundup-updated-continuously/

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 27, 2015

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I apologize for talking podcast apps since I know that's pretty played out, but out of curiosity, why does no one recommend Doggcatcher these days? It was hot poo poo back when I first got a smartphone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Meldonox posted:

I apologize for talking podcast apps since I know that's pretty played out, but out of curiosity, why does no one recommend Doggcatcher these days? It was hot poo poo back when I first got a smartphone.

I haven't used Doggcatcher in years, but I can talk about this phenomena in general...

There's lots of app categories where theres tons of apps that cover the basic requirements of the category in basically a sufficient manner. Once apps have reached that point, the overwhelmingly biggest differentiator is UI and ease of use of the basic, must-have features....thus the reason you see PocketCasts recommended again and again.

You'll then see a long tail of people using apps that cover specific use cases not covered by the category leaders in UI. Thus the continued existence of apps like BeyondPod, Podcast Addict, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Podcast Addict is crazy great and it just keeps getting better.