Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aphrodite posted:

The flashback only portrayed Luke's lie to Jessica. We don't know how much of that was even true.

It was 100% true.

When Killgrave revealed that Luke was under his power he explained it to Jessica; she didn't ask the right questions and got the time table wrong. Killgrave told Luke to blow himself up after all that stuff in the car happened. However he also told Luke that if he survived he was to report back to Killgrave and keep tabs on Jessica.

Because of Kevin's dad's experiments, the length of Killgrave's control had already increased from 12 to 16 hours which gave Luke 4 hours to get in touch with Killgrave when Jessica thought he wasn't under control. During that time Luke explained to Killgrave about his skin and updated Killgrave on the plan.

That's how Killgrave just happened to be at the empty building after the hospital. Also why he was in an angry, kill Jessica mood. He found out that she found another "special" person to, in his super hosed up mind, replace him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Hollismason posted:

I think Defenders is only going to be 6 episodes.

Eight, I think. The reports were that the original package (not including S2s of anything) was 60 episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've always kind of believed that somehow Defenders wouldn't come together, it's just so ambitious a plan on a relatively less proven platform. But after two decent, popular and much written about shows, I'm starting to think it might actually happen and it is really gonna be something.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

BrianWilly posted:

Heck, what if someone forgets what Kilgrave told to get them to do, simply because it was so complicated?

I like to think of Kilgrave's powers as working on interpretation. That's why he can say a relatively abstract phrase like "put a bullet in your head" and Trish interprets that as any English-speaking westerner who is holding a gun would; 'shoot myself in the head'. But that same command is satisfied once the thrall's brain interprets it in a different way. It's why usually Kilgrave can speak colloquially, but sometimes gets something he doesn't expect ("Say Hi, Harry")

Which makes the "get the Japanese version of SHIELD on the case" plothole even bigger, but...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Wait the run was for 60 episodes? Does that include the 2nd Season of Daredevil. Also, kind of worried about Iron fist at this point cause apparently no casting?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

When Killgrave revealed that Luke was under his power he explained it to Jessica; she didn't ask the right questions and got the time table wrong. Killgrave told Luke to blow himself up after all that stuff in the car happened. However he also told Luke that if he survived he was to report back to Killgrave and keep tabs on Jessica.

I interpreted it as Killgrave told Cage to spy on Jessica and report back to him, then told him to blow up the bar with him in it while Jessica watched without countermanding the spy order and then the next time Cage reported in, Killgrave asked why he wasn't dead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

Wait the run was for 60 episodes? Does that include the 2nd Season of Daredevil. Also, kind of worried about Iron fist at this point cause apparently no casting?

Season 2 Daredevil was an addition. It's still early for Iron Fist, next year already has DDS2 and LKS1.

pseudorandom name posted:

I interpreted it as Killgrave told Cage to spy on Jessica and report back to him, then told him to blow up the bar with him in it while Jessica watched without countermanding the spy order and then the next time Cage reported in, Killgrave asked why he wasn't dead.

Maybe, but I figured it was Killgrave realizing there was a possibility of Jessica saving Luke. After all she could just overpower the big guy and stop him as far as Killgrave knew.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gyges posted:

Season 2 Daredevil was an addition. It's still early for Iron Fist, next year already has DDS2 and LKS1.

It's possible that IF is supposed to be late next year or early in 2017, in which case it's fair to say they're running out of time to at least hire a showrunner. But it's tough to gauge that when the premiere date is still just TBA.

I think it's premature to assume the worst, but I'm not going to assume all is well until they hire a showrunner, given that they've been promising news "soon" or "close" since this summer.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anyway, I know exactly why Luke left.

Nurse lady's (forgot her name) talk to Luke at the end was dead spot on, dude realized he's got some poo poo to work through, and left to do that.

Luke isn't exactly the most complicated of people, in fact he's about the most level headed guy around, it's part of what makes him a good and/or fun character. Sane and stable man in an insane world.

So I'm just going to assume he's left to do what he has to do.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NecroMonster posted:

Nurse lady's (forgot her name) talk to Luke at the end was dead spot on, dude realized he's got some poo poo to work through, and left to do that.

Luke isn't exactly the most complicated of people, in fact he's about the most level headed guy around, it's part of what makes him a good and/or fun character. Sane and stable man in an insane world.

Now that Killgrave is out of his head Luke can go see a man about the $200 he's owed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it makes sense, I just felt it was a bit contrived. He had reason enough to stay away from Kilgrave ,but it wasn't to terrible.The fact that they are not introducing Shang Chi at some point makes me sad.

You'd think that Marvel making a Shang Chi film for the Chinese market would be a priority for them ,but nope.

Copy right issue due to Fu Manchu issues

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I thought that Shang Chi was Marvel Property but that his dad being Fu Manchu they had to skirt around it when they lost the rights. Pretty sure he's appeared in animated stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Luke HAS to go away in order to come back with that funky disco shirt and tiara. :colbert:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I thought that Shang Chi was Marvel Property but that his dad being Fu Manchu they had to skirt around it when they lost the rights. Pretty sure he's appeared in animated stuff.

They wholly own Shang Chi, yes. Just not Fu Manchu or any of the other Sax Rohmer characters, and that's not much of a burden when you don't have to write around the characters previously having appeared in canon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Dude that's just how comic books are. These "problems" have been around for decades. No one cares. It's not a problem.

Edit: this was in response to the "walled gardens" comment.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 24, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

To be fair, NOT having Fu Manchu in a television production in the 21st Century is probably a good thing. :shobon:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kilgrave is an awful human being, but I can't help but feel sympathy for someone who has a moral imperative to kill themselves.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
This was a good show, but I don't think it was as consistently high quality as Daredevil. Gotta wonder how much of that was the creative team change or whatever it was that happened at the end of Daredevil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

Dawson just coolly drinking that water was perfect, I'm glad she's gonna be the connecting thread.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NecroMonster posted:

Also has to work out how much of his feelings for Jessica and how much were Kilgrave. He also found out how his wife died and he was banging a person involved with it. He also has that disk to investigate, but more importantly he has to get his money. Honey.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

His wife also had a connection to what's on that drive, and apparently never told Luke a drat bit of anything about anything before she died.

I'm thinking themes of past mistakes and secrets and lies are on the table for Luke's series.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Do we still need spoilers? It's been more than 72 hours right?

Also it's weird that people are calling Trish Patsy when it seems like that's what her mom calls her to remind her of "better" times when Trish was under her thumb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

but more importantly he has to get his money. Honey.

God I wish Marvel could backdoor in Doom and the Fantastic Four and actually stand a chance of making a good show featuring them for a change.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The cartoon had Simon Templeman. Simon Templeman is cool.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gimme a Luke Cage prequel

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Will riot if he doesn't go by Power Man at least once

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
OK it's been more than 72 hours so no spoilers. I finally finished so I'll post this, then go back and actually read instead of skimming.

good:

- Kilgrave was the best character in terms of his scenes being the most tense and horrifying (and rarely even darkly funny or affecting). Especially the ones between him and Jessica.

- This was stressful just to watch. Kilgrave is just so hosed up, and RItter’s portrayal so convincing. I love it when a show makes me have a genuine emotional reaction.

- EPISODE 7 AND 8. AND 9. HOLY poo poo.

- Even though Trish kept having moments where she’d try to help but fail, I strangely never found her annoying, and I actually like her a lot. I think is because she’s always trying to do her best, and isn’t some useless afterthought there for show. The actresses and the flashbacks did an incredible job of showing that these two women are best friends and they have a long time connection with each other. It was a portrayal of female friendship I feel like I rarely see.

- I loved all the creative moments when they cleverly portrayed Kilgrave’s power. Like Trish desperately trying to put a bullet in her head, and Jessica telling her to put it in her mouth. Or “Hi, Hank!” Or 1000 cuts :stonk:

- Kilgrave is horrifying. It is just so drat disturbing how he can completely ruins someone’s life in seconds and never think about them again. The writers never hold back from exploring the consequences of having a bad guy with this incredibly dangerous power. Like, obviously, Hope killing her parents. Or the man whose wife left him and he was charged with child abandonment. Just thinking about the mess that’s left to be cleaned up after Kilgrave's death gives me a headache.

bad:

- Here is how I feel about the articles saying jessica is some revolutionary antiheroine:

Don’t get me wrong, I think she is a good character, I just don’t find it a revolutionary portrayal of an antiheroine. The most revolutionary thing with her is how her trauma is the main focus of the story and she isn’t just some background character that gets assaulted and thrown away so the actual main character can get MANLY REVENGE

- This didn’t need to be 13 episodes. It was too drawn out. For example, Trish and Jess’s backstory flashbacks could have been spread out over other eps. Making it a whole episode by itself just felt like stalling before the final confrontation.

- The narration was so bad it killed some scenes. For example, the very last scene of a seemingly numb jessica deleting all the messages asking for help would have been way more powerful without the unsubtle inner voice through the whole thing

- The end of the lesbian lawyer plot was super contrived. Why would Trinity explain what happened in the worst way possible? She’s an incredibly ruthless bitch that’s been shown to protect herself by any means necessary, so why would she act guilty and ashamed when Pam assumes she tried to use Kilgrave to get the divorce papers signed? Kilgrave really DID force her to drive him to Wendy’s place, that wouldn’t even be lying.

- I really don’t understand why Trinity stole the Hope/Kilgrave fetus. I was expecting them to reveal that she had Mad Science connections, but it never happened so wtf?

- The plotline of the cop ~coincidentally~ also being connected to some super serum program was hilariously random. I was eventually spoiled that this is from the comics, but this proves that just because something was in the source material doesn’t mean it’s good and worth preserving. Either don’t put it in, or be more subtle about it.

- The season kind of peaked around episode 8, and after that the writers seemed to lose the thread a bit, with things spinning out of control. There was way too much of Kilgrave being captured, then escaping, then captured, and escaping.

-The diaper fetish/incest(????) twins were loving awful. Reuben redeemed himself by being the catalyst for one of the best episodes, but his sister was really annoying and worse, she spread her stupidity to the other characters. “I’m clearly emotionally devastated! Who wants to start a witch hunt against Jessica?” Like it’s not shocking that she said it, but it is shocking that the support group people agreed to it. And of course they somehow overpower Jessica and let Kilgrave escape. OF COURSE.

- during the entire final fight in episode 13 i was thinking “WHY DIDN’T YOU BRING A GUN?” Frankly, the moment Hope killed herself, the plan should have been Set Up A Sniper And Shoot The Fucker’s Brains Out

- For a show with this much loving, it’s funny that they apparently can’t show boobs.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

God I wish Marvel could backdoor in Doom and the Fantastic Four and actually stand a chance of making a good show featuring them for a change.
Shame Kilgrave is dead so they can't recreate the scene where Doom reveals just how powerful his will truly is :doom:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FourLeaf posted:

- The plotline of the cop ~coincidentally~ also being connected to some super serum program was hilariously random. I was eventually spoiled that this is from the comics, but this proves that just because something was in the source material doesn’t mean it’s good and worth preserving. Either don’t put it in, or be more subtle about it.

This is minor but that plotline was not from the comics. The character is based on one from Marvel continuity, but I don't think he ever interacted with JJ? Could be totally wrong, but he at least wasn't in the original Alias series. They weren't 'preserving' anything there, the red pills were just a nice thematic coincidence.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

"You let me be...inside you" might be the MOST wretched line of dialog ever conceived, ever written, ever put to page, ever spoken as part of a work of cinematic fiction

In the history of the moving picture never before and never will there ever be a line of dialog as loving terrible as "You let me be (pause for emphasis)....inside you"

"You want a good girl, but you need the bad pussy"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
According to actor interviews Ritter wasn't willing to show her boobs on camera, which I understand, so that at least is why Jessica keeps her top on a lot. A major theme of the show too was about a typical woman's viewpoint and so, most women aren't really interested in gratuitous boob flashing. I think it was an interesting creative choice at least, and it lent some interesting restrictions to the sex scenes. Also a good character point imo: Jessica feels the need to cover up as soon as she can post-sex.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

This is minor but that plotline was not from the comics. The character is based on one from Marvel continuity, but I don't think he ever interacted with JJ? Could be totally wrong, but he at least wasn't in the original Alias series. They weren't 'preserving' anything there, the red pills were just a nice thematic coincidence.

I see. But this means that there's even less excuse for it being as clumsy as it was.

Oh another bad thing I forgot was the episode where the couple was trying to get revenge on all superpowered people. What the gently caress was that?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Where would a second season even go? I mean Tennant basically carried the show and I can't imagine watching 13 episodes without him.

I'd be perfectly ok if this didn't get another season. Just leave this as a one and done 13 episodes show.

You may have a point. Give Jessica some more time in Defenders (and maybe in Luke Cage too), and then instead of making another Jessica Jones season right away, shift the main focus to Trish next and do a season of Hellcat, with her investigating IGH and Jessica's origins. Jessica can still be a major character, but her issues won't be the spotlight. Then maybe rotate back to Jessica for the season after that.

Snak posted:

Maybe after Luke Cage's first season they team up and just have one show called Jessica/Cage.

Also this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nah, call them Power Man and Iron Fist (because she hits so hard!) and on all the posters, have a sad looking Danny Rand standing in the background.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

HIJK posted:

According to actor interviews Ritter wasn't willing to show her boobs on camera, which I understand, so that at least is why Jessica keeps her top on a lot. A major theme of the show too was about a typical woman's viewpoint and so, most women aren't really interested in gratuitous boob flashing. I think it was an interesting creative choice at least, and it lent some interesting restrictions to the sex scenes. Also a good character point imo: Jessica feels the need to cover up as soon as she can post-sex.

Honestly that's a really good point, and I respect the actress not being comfortable with more exposure. I wasn't being entirely serious with the boobs thing anyway, I just find it amusing whenever shows blatantly do the "L-shaped sheets" thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They don't even show butts in these shows, they're not gonna show boobs.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

FourLeaf posted:

I see. But this means that there's even less excuse for it being as clumsy as it was.

Oh another bad thing I forgot was the episode where the couple was trying to get revenge on all superpowered people. What the gently caress was that?

That was there for comic nerds because I almost poo poo the bed when Simpson said "give me a red". It was an even bigger holy poo poo moment than Nobu's reveal as a Hand ninja in Daredevil, because that was so telegraphed. Nuke came totally out of left field, which made it kind of exciting for me since " crazy captain America" outclasses "a bit of super strength and lovely flight" as far as powersets go.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 27, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is this guy seriously saying that JJ is a bad anti-hero because he can't live vicarious violence fantasies through her?

Is this guy saying that Walter White is a better anti-hero than JJ because he builds a criminal empire and she doesn't?

Now I know the nerd blogger crowd is terminally imbecilic, but you'd think they'd at least know what an "anti-hero" is. An anti-hero is a character who's a protagonist or like a protagonist, but lacks ideal, heroic qualities. Anti-heroes are not just violent badasses because that gives you a stiffy even when you tweet about how they perfectly embody the evils of patriarchy.

The irony is that JJ might be a truer and purer anti-hero than Tony Soprano, Walter White, Jaime Lannister, etc. She is a terrible person who fails in deeds and principles, even in her triumph.

The point is that Jessica is an archetypal anti-heroine. This is not a bad thing, it just means that she isn't inherently revolutionizing the anti-hero genre by being a lady. She's a good protagonist by virtue of functioning in her role in an intelligent and thoughtful way. Protagonists don't have to shake the foundations of the media industry to be good characters. Just doing their jobs well is enough in this world of intense mediocrity,

Slow your roll, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

HIJK posted:

The point is that Jessica is an archetypal anti-heroine. This is not a bad thing, it just means that she isn't inherently revolutionizing the anti-hero genre by being a lady. She's a good protagonist by virtue of functioning in her role in an intelligent and thoughtful way. Protagonists don't have to shake the foundations of the media industry to be good characters. Just doing their jobs well is enough in this world of intense mediocrity,

Slow your roll, dude.

"Revolutionizing the anti-hero genre" is an utterly meaningless phrase you shouldn't use, you're welcome.

I like that they establish that JJ was always a bad person, and that her trauma just dropped any pretences.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 24, 2015